Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,342 members, 7,888,084 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:00 PM

Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister (1396 Views)

World Anti-Corruption Day: Nigeria's Ranking / Nigeria Rated 8th Most Corrupt Nation- PM NEWS, Lagos / Nigeria 2nd Most Corrupt Nation —gallup Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by Remii(m): 9:16am On Jul 15, 2010
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/news/headlines/17586-nigerias-ranking-as-59th-most-corrupt-nation-unacceptable-minister

Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister

Written by Rasheed Komolafe, lagos
Thursday, 15 July 2010 00:03
The Minister of Finance, Dr Segun Aganga has said that one of the major concerns of the present administration is the rating of Nigeria as 121 out of the 180 most corrupt countries in the world.

The minister who disclosed in Lagos on Tuesday at the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) event tagged "Road Show" in the South West, however said that efforts are ongoing to reposition the country on the right path.

Aganga noted that Nigeria’s current ranking as 121 out of 180 in the global corruption perception index (CPI), was unacceptable and that as a people, Nigerians must be ready to battle corruption through the promotion of transparency, accountability and the establishment of checks and balances to strengthen the rule of law with a view to achieving significant improvement in Nigeria's ranking in the corruption index in 2013.

The minister who was represented by Alh Madiu Haruna, Deputy Executive Director, Economy Research and Policy Management said that past efforts aimed at combating corruption had not been efficacious.

Haruna said that an effective anti-corruption strategy must incorporate real effort to significantly reduce the reported causes of corruption, namely lack of social security, dearth of employment opportunities and wide spread poverty.

" It gives me great pleasure to be part of you this morning on the occasion of the South-West zone road show and town hall meeting. I wish to seize this opportunity to congratulate NEITI for the success recorded in the Owerri and Kaduna road shows.

"It is believed that this forum will work even beyond the set objective of promoting transparency in government finances by enacting and implementing stringent laws on financial reporting, disclosure requirements,'' he said.

He said it was also believed that if the anti-corruption agency effectively performed its functions, Nigeria’s position could be shifted from the current ranking of 121 to 60 by 2013.

He said that the ministry would ensure strong commitment to combat all forms of corruption at all levels.

"I will like to reiterate that it is my aspiration to see more of my ministry's collaboration with NEITI and other relevant organizations so as to make significant positive impact on Nigerians.

"I identify with the cardinal principle of coordinated approach and collaboration with relevant organizations and agencies which l believe, would help in the achievement of the lofty goals now and in the near future,'' he added.

The minister said that with the huge presence of the best brains to combat corruption, I have no doubt in my mind that the expectation of people would be met, while urging Nigerians to count on the cooperation of the finance ministry in combating corruption

================================================================================================
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by AjanleKoko: 9:22am On Jul 15, 2010
Well, comforting to know we're not number one anymore grin

Or could it be that corruption has prevented us from keeping up with our competitors?
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 15, 2010
Unacceptable ? Yes but what is government doing to eliminate corruption ?
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by Ijitimehin: 9:41am On Jul 15, 2010
corruptionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn that is the only place we are no 1 we av left our place totally then where are we going to be first?
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by redsun(m): 9:48am On Jul 15, 2010
The findings are wrong.Nigeria is the most corrupt country in the world.The system of government in nigeria is corruption not ''democrazy''
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by redsun(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2010
How can corruption be measured in a country where the leaders and the police force are above the law?Bankole,the speaker of nigerian house of assembly has been pinpointed several times as a dubious and crooked individual,yet he is still the speaker,nobody is doing anything serious about it to bring him to book.Soon he will step aside and probably have a go at the presidency.

The former speaker,etteh was booted out of office as a result of enormous corrupt practices,yet she is due to receive one of the highest award of the land from the preceding thief known as the president.
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 15, 2010
LWKMD

Ok, Mr Minister, what number befitting for Nigeria??
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by jamace(m): 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2010
Na lie. Na number one Nigeria suppose to take. Every thing and every where smells corruption. Mention anything and any where, I will show you corruption.
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by nex(m): 1:28pm On Jul 15, 2010
I don't know why our government officials always take it as a national duty when citizens of other countries air their personal views on us.

Does this Aganga feel like any government agency will take it up if the Rennaisance Group in Nigeria mentions the USA as the most corrupt country in the world?

China doesn't bother itself with this kind of talk, and see where they are today.
Re: Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister by koruji(m): 1:50am On Jul 16, 2010
China will not say anything because action is louder than words. Nigeria's case is that of empty drums making the loudest noise.

The other day someone here suggested Nigeria should copy China's policy of keeping a close eye on international news about China. In other words, Nigeria should start censoring international news about Nigeria. However, nothing more was heard from that guy once it was suggested we should also follow China's policy on corruption. Why? If we did, half of our government officials would be in jail and another quarter would be dispacthed to the great beyond!

What the minister needs to tell Nigerians is what President GJ's administration will do about corruption in Nigeria. And we are all ears.

nex:

I don't know why our government officials always take it as a national duty when citizens of other countries air their personal views on us.

Does this Aganga feel like any government agency will take it up if the Rennaisance Group in Nigeria mentions the USA as the most corrupt country in the world?

China doesn't bother itself with this kind of talk, and see where they are today.

(1) (Reply)

S-south, S-east Agree On Jonathan •forget About 2011, Minister Tells Ibb Atiku / Fresh Crisis Rocks Pdp As Governors Drag Nwodo To Inec / Pdp Produces Two Governorship Candidates In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.