Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,879 members, 7,945,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 07:17 AM

Deforestation And Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Deforestation And Agriculture (493 Views)

The Difference Between Farming And Agriculture. / Food And Agriculture Organization Launches Green Cities Action Programme / What Will You Like To Know About Ogbomosho And Agriculture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deforestation And Agriculture by benzion72(m): 9:39pm On Oct 19, 2018
I was reading a Guardian newspaper link shared by Neway the cocomaster . The journalist did on the spot analysis of how a big forest reseve had been turned into cocoa plantation. she even trace how the cocoa get to big buyers such as Olam Henessy and co.

she was aggrieved that a one time sanctuary of elephants and baboon have been destroyed.

My take on this though you may tagged it unconventional is to ask the reporter where is there own forest reserves in Europea and America. after with strong enterprising spirit they conquered their own continent they want us to be hungry and still keep forest

I think farmers should be left alone to replace all forest trees with cash crop at least na tree. what is your take on this
Re: Deforestation And Agriculture by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 20, 2018
benzion72:
I was reading a Guardian newspaper link shared by Neway the cocomaster . The journalist did on the spot analysis of how a big forest reseve had been turned into cocoa plantation. she even trace how the cocoa get to big buyers such as Olam Henessy and co.

she was aggrieved that a one time sanctuary of elephants and baboon have been destroyed.

My take on this though you may tagged it unconventional is to ask the reporter where is there own forest reserves in Europea and America. after with strong enterprising spirit they conquered their own continent they want us to be hungry and still keep forest

I think farmers should be left alone to replace all forest trees with cash crop at least na tree. what is your take on this
cheesy Trees whether cash crop or not produce the same oxygen. You are right.

1 Like

Re: Deforestation And Agriculture by Jakumo(m): 7:16am On Oct 21, 2018
benzion72:

Europe and the United States DO have vast forest reserves and national parks that cover thousands of square miles. Wikipedia is your friend.

Mono-culture crop farming can have devastating long term effects on the environment, natural fauna, and climate. In general, it is a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Deforestation And Agriculture by benzion72(m): 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2018
Jakumo:

Europe and the United States DO have vast forest reserves and national parks that cover thousands of square miles. Wikipedia is your friend.

Mono-culture crop farming can have devastating long term effects on the environment, natural fauna, and climate. In general, it is a bad idea.

Tree crops like cocoa oil palm are equally good as tree forest
Re: Deforestation And Agriculture by Jakumo(m): 7:25am On Oct 22, 2018
benzion72:

Tree crops like cocoa oil palm are equally good as tree forest

To an extent, the above statement is true. A man-made tree plantation will play a similar role of storing and releasing moisture that becomes rainfall, and of absorbing carbon dioxide whilst releasing oxygen, as is the case with a natural forest.

That said, the major difference between mono-culture tree crops and natural diversity is that the myriad fruits and seeds that support an entire ecosystem, all found in natural forests, do not exist in man-made forests, and it is the absence of that wide variety of naturally occurring food sources that will ultimately drive many forms of pollinating insects, birds and animals, to the brink of extinction, which of course is not a desirable outcome, from a long-term perspective.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Building A Global Food Market / Guide To Starting A Chicken Business / ‘semi-mechanized Abattoir Boosts Ondo’s IGR’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.