Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,564 members, 7,972,125 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 01:16 AM

When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence (352 Views)

Who Can Translate Dis Into A Sentence??� / When Do I Suppose To Use 'has' And 'have' In A Sentence. / How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by omogerohprecious(m): 7:22am On Oct 25, 2018
please, help a friend. have always been guilty of using those two words interchangeably.
Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by Wronlyprincess(f): 7:32am On Oct 25, 2018
You use an when the first letter of the subject is vowel
You use a when the first letter of the subject is consonant

E.g
A Ball, A Cap, An Elephant, An Ostrish
Hope you understand

1 Like

Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by omogerohprecious(m): 7:47am On Oct 25, 2018
wronglyprincess, thank you. one more thing. when am i supposed to use "who or who's in a sentence
Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by qwertyboss(m): 7:50am On Oct 25, 2018
Before I proceed, I will like to recommend Alison free online English diploma and certificate courses for you!

The terms "A" and "An" are termed as indefinite articles in English. While "A" is generally use before any word that begins with a consonant letters, "An" is use before words that start with Vowels.

Example:
A cup...
A book...
A mixture...
A blog...

Likewise, you can't say "A house " because in the word " house " the "H" is pronounced as /'eɪʧ/ which is not consonant, so. You have to take note of the sound as well.

Example:
An hour...
An house...
An answer...
An idiot...

Note: there are certain combination of vowels that start or sound like consonants,
Example :
Europe, hence "A European "

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 25, 2018
You use 'A' when something stolen from you is little.

e.g They stole a Tecno phone from me.

You use 'AN' when the thing pain you.

This bastards just snatched an IPhone X from my babe.
Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by ITbomb(m): 8:16am On Oct 25, 2018
omogerohprecious:
wronglyprincess, thank you. one more thing. when am i supposed to use "who or who's in a sentence

Anywhere you cannot use Who is, don't use Who's

1 Like

Re: When Do I Use "A" And "An" In A Sentence by onlinetomola(m): 10:08am On Oct 25, 2018
I am loving the way this OP questions are responded to.... Not all those I sabi it all Nairlanders that do crucify and insult in this kind of situation. kiss

(1) (Reply)

Steps On How To Pay Aau Acceptance Fee 2018/2019 / Adult Education is it for adult or youth? / UNICAL Acceptance Fee Payment Procedure For 2018/2019 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.