Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,539 members, 7,908,463 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 06:56 AM

Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem (366 Views)

How To Send View Once Media On Whatsapp / What Is The Importance Of Social Media Marketing? / Top 5 Positive And Negative Effects Of Drones You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem by Cycloneignis(m): 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2018
Cynthia a girl of 17 years old, New to Social Media Which she got introduced to by her friend, Tayo.
She was anxious and curious to explore the internet but what she get in return was bad. She failed to access to important aspect of internet. She started with Facebook “What is on your Mind”

She took a picture with her newly purchased phone, posted it on Facebook with the hope of having many likes and Comments like her friend Tayo but she was disappointed when she saw 3 likes and 1 comment from one of her male classmates and the comments was even making jest of her.

She was depressed, she start to think and Negative words start to go through her mind. “Am I not good enough” is all she could think of.

She waited for the whole day and she manage to have 20 likes and five comments. Three comments from her family member and two from her class mates.
Now at this stage, all she did was to stand in front of mirror and start to doubt the wonders of God and start to compare herself with her friend Tayo with 500 likes and 50 comments.

At that moments she was determined to do everything to have likes and Comments as well.
Is she beautiful than me?
Then I think I have to start using Photo editing Apps
I will buy expensive Clothes, so that I can take pictures with them
I will only take pictures in Brother Bayo’s Room
I will only take pictures in Brother Remilekun’s car
What are the results of her actions and decisions?

Cynthia did all she think of, have the likes and comments by opening her cleavages when taking pictures with compliments coming in from various suitors and friends. But the Negative results is more than the Positive results.

She became a person of Low self-esteem and seek people consent on social media before doing things, she only believe she is endowed when guys comment on her pics.

And in Brother Remilekun car she was abused

In Brother Bayo Room, she was raped and lost her dignity forever.

The effects of Social media on teen this days is alarming, it is increasing the rate of Procrastination, it is causing depression, it is causing comparison, it is causing hatred and it might decrease the productivity of those who can’t control it.

Social media is like a refuse dump, in a refuse dump, you find things that are useful and things that are not, on social media you will see lots of things, but all you need you to do is make use of filter and sieve out those information you need and those that can affect you.

Not everything you see on social media are meant to be believe, on social media.
Don’t be pressurize by the timeline
Don’t allow your friends post to affect your relation to your parent
Don’t develop hatred for that person because of his/her post
Read and Read what you post online, try to think of the person behind the screen.
#it is different strokes for different folks
#don’t be Pressurized
#you don’t need Social Media Consent
Techbase.com.ng
Re: Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem by chineduisaac(m): 8:18am On Oct 26, 2018
This your post is actually correct sir. Atlest 40% of depression cases is as a result of social media influences
Re: Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem by Brendaniel: 8:38am On Oct 26, 2018
That's why parents have a lot to do with giving their children orientation about life as the kids grow, I see a lot of parents these days are so ignorant of that...
Re: Effects Of Social Media On Self Esteem by zeanslim(m): 9:16am On Oct 26, 2018
You only learn to live when you stop trying to impress people on social media or off social media, it works both ways. Don't try to fault social media or technology

Common Most Believed Technology Myths And Misconceptions

You will be surprised by the popular myths and common misconceptions surrounding the use of technological gadgets which is still largely believed by a large number of people.

(1) (Reply)

New Technology Inventions For Diabetes / Wow � .. Access More Than 10GB Of Internet Bandwidth: Light Fidelity / How To Change My Profile Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.