Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,279 members, 7,943,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:28 PM

After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) (35067 Views)

84-Year-Old Kenyan Man Returns Home, Discovers That His 2 Wives Had Remarried / What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? / Man Pays Tribute To His Late Wife Who Died During Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by mechanics(m): 5:55pm On Oct 28, 2018
wow, real love, if it were some ladies, they won't marry him, because he's broke, now the woman is really enjoying her marriage, that's to tell us that nothing is permanent, being poor is not permanent.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ugosample(m): 5:58pm On Oct 28, 2018
luluosas:
They were mere sex partners all this while, as there was never any marriage between them. In fact, they only cohabited. If you are living with a man and you have children for him, and he is yet to pay your dowry, just know that you are in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, you don't have any marriage my dear.
You will understand who you really are by the time the man dies. Draw that your boyfriend you called husband to go pay your dowry now. A word is enough for the wise

if the man signed his will to his wife, and a marriage certificate can be produced, the family will be the one begging her cheesy cheesy

Marriage certificates protect the spouse much more than traditional marriage

A lot of women have been thrown out if their homes despite trad marriages

If she had a marriage cert, such fuckery will not happen at all at all.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ugosample(m): 5:59pm On Oct 28, 2018
mechanics:
wow, real love, if it were some ladies, they won't marry him, because he's broke, now the woman is really enjoying her marriage, that's to tell us that nothing is permanent, being poor is not permanent.

yes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nellizzy(m): 6:01pm On Oct 28, 2018
And nobody called her a baby mama
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
Genniez:
..lefulefu thanks
wink

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ghostmode2two(m): 6:11pm On Oct 28, 2018
phr33man:
Better late than never.

But who did he pay to?
family members
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by afroxyz: 6:29pm On Oct 28, 2018
Simple reading. Its bride price not dowry. And since no bridewealth was exchanged, there was no marriage. They were just cohabiting

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
In my opinion it was quite unnecessary.

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 28, 2018
After they're grandparents they remembered dowry.smh.agba okogbon loto
Probably collected dowry from their son's in-laws

Wisdom is not a function of old age
Hmmm
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by AreaFada2: 7:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
Xaos:
Moral of the story. Always pay your debt because your in-laws will never forget....
Are you sure their daughter is not about to get married?
In many places, you cannot accept the bride price of your daughter if you have not paid same for her mother.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Neddyogu(m): 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
And they even celebrated it! No shame at all. Now I have a few questions to ask.
1. As a so called pastor, what was he teaching his congregation about marriage?
2. How was he counselling intending couples in respect to marriage?
3. How will his children and grandchildren invite their friends to this kinda wedding? Will they say 'hey look u're invited to my grandpa's trad?'

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Neddyogu(m): 7:48pm On Oct 28, 2018
Ugosample:

if the man signed his will to his wife, and a marriage certificate can be produced, the family will be the one begging her cheesy cheesy

The courts or registry will issue certificate when customary laws have been fulfilled oo. Except u hire false witnesses to testify that u fulfilled customary laws.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ugosample(m): 8:18pm On Oct 28, 2018
Neddyogu:

The courts or registry will issue certificate when customary laws have been fulfilled oo. Except u hire false witnesses to testify that u fulfilled customary laws.

not true

I know so many people that did their court wedding registry at ikoyi with no issues what so ever

Maybe in some of these back ward back water states they may ask for it

but in ikoyi, na cash and carry (if you know, you know, as una dey talk 4 naija )
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Zzyy(m): 8:20pm On Oct 28, 2018
Kwanan gida no be marriage oo
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by tiredoflife(m): 8:21pm On Oct 28, 2018
So a church allowed them to wed without the traditional rites
Well na dem
Dey can marry without seeing parents
Its common in their tribe
But for a church to support this
And he is called a pastor
So for many years he has been fornicating yet he calls it marriage
No matter the talking terms he claims
A man must pay the dowry of a woman before u can say u are married
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Tareq1105: 8:22pm On Oct 28, 2018
Headlesschicken:
grin Better late than never...

Pay dowry to who?

Are the in laws still alive?
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Cindy08: 8:29pm On Oct 28, 2018
KingSatan:
This was when TRUE LOVE existed. Whenever I say "Older women have my respect" I believe you all now know why.

Sometime ago a New generation Nigerian woman trended online for saying "At this stage of my life, I will not marry a man without a car". I as Satan the Lucifer, I was shocked because that same lady is over 35 years and obviously depreciating. But there she was placing a "Liability" as prerequisite for marriage.

Congrats to the Husband and Wife.

Now to those reading my message. Marriage is the decision of the Man and wife. Do not frustrate intending couples with a great financial burden or bogus traditional rites. Allow them to live happily as man and wife. If they have made a decision then support them and stop demanding for 30 gallons of palm oil when you know deep inside your heart that you can't afford a drop of oil. A woman is not a commodity anymore.

The practice of bride price is archaic and barbaric (Though it's still evident in our various traditions). When such laws were enacted women never had any rights, some were seen as less humans or commodities to be sold. Instead of sending them to school, they train them on home chores and preparation of various dishes. These women were sold out according to their value in the guise of the Bride Price.

A bride should not have a price tag. She is not a commodity. She is a priceless jewel, a rare gemstone.

Let's advocate for the total annihilation of the Bride Price and the regulation of traditional marriage rites by the traditional heads in our communities. As this is the only solution to unlawful cohabitation.

If you so love your sister or daughter then support her decision to get married and do not demand any price for her. Wish her well and celebrate her. Make it clear to the groom that you are not taking any dime from him as your daughter is priceless and has a greater value than money.

Marriage is getting too expensive and it is a threat to lawful cohabitation.
so Mr Lucifer you have this kind of mind and yet you like to post negative comments I like your type always looking forward to c more at least u have repented am in love
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ugosample(m): 8:32pm On Oct 28, 2018
tiredoflife:
So a church allowed them to wed without the traditional rites
Well na dem
Dey can marry without seeing parents
Its common in their tribe
But for a church to support this
And he is called a pastor
So for many years he has been fornicating yet he calls it marriage
No matter the talking terms he claims
A man must pay the dowry of a woman before u can say u are married

undecided
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ajalekoko76(m): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
I guess after the exit of problematic in law.... The understanding in law collected the dowry.

Poor" One Jacket,one suit...." Make me laugh

Mama I salute U, ua rare.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Chanchit: 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2018
Biglittlelois:
Op change your topic to "46 years of living together" they were never married, they were living in sin-fornication, without paying bride price or dowry any form of "marriage" is useless.

MR MAN abi na Mrs woman, they were legally married, so there's nothing like fornication in this mata

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Neemah(f): 9:36am On Oct 29, 2018
Funny, The people he paid to are probably their age mate or less, those that demanded for bride price are probably gone,

[/b]The Beauty of Islam is that bride price is paid to the bride herself in forms of whatever she demanded from her Husband, it could be moneytory or otherwise [b]

PrettyGist:
After 46 years of marriage, 84-year-old man, John Olusola Ojo, who is a pastor has paid the dowry of his wife, Olabisi, who is 70 years old.

In an interview with Tribune, Pastor Ojo said he decided to honor his wife by going to pay her dowry in September, years after her family initially disagreed on their union.

Going down memory lane, Pastor Ojo said when he met Olabisi during his youth, he was very poor and also had come from a poor family background. Olabisi on the other hand, was from a priviledged home. At the time they met, she was living with her Uncle who was grooming her for one of his colleagues who worked as a driver at the Nigeria Railway Corporation. He said;

“When all persuasions to make my in-laws accept their daughter’s bride price from me failed, the General Superintendent of the Christ Apostolic Church, Nigeria, advised us to go by statutory marriage through which we were certified as husband and wife in 1972. Few years into our marriage, my in-laws had a change of heart; since then we have maintained a good rapport,”

Pa Ojo says they lived so happily that his in-laws forgot to ask him for the dowry of their daughter.

On her part, Mrs Ojo said she agreed to stick with her husband at the time when he as poor because she knew she could afford to take care of the him.

“I knew I could take care of him, I concluded so because my parents were financially buoyant – my mother was a produce buyer while my father was a commercial farmer. But to my people, he was poor beyond redemption, they called him ‘one-man-one-jacket.’ It took much pacification before I was allowed to marry him. I thank God for his mercy on both of us, our children inclusive for whom we have become today. I have to thank Him especially for His special kindness to me.

Up till this moment, I have never had any cause to regret that I married my husband. Most especially, I am grateful to God that I am also among those women who were married traditionally; appreciating me before my people by paying my dowry. I am indeed happy that it happened to me,” she enthused.

https://gistmore.com/46-years-marriage-84-year-old-man-pays-wife-dowry

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by bukatyne(f): 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2018
Biglittlelois:
Op change your topic to "46 years of living together" they were never married, they were living in sin-fornication, without paying bride price or dowry any form of "marriage" is useless.

I thought they did statuory marriage?
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by PastorDannie(m): 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2018
[quote author=Ladyhippolyta88 post=72485452]

BibleI guess you are referring to the old testament oga are you a Jew?

As for the African culture part culture evolves and it is dynamic not static.People just bring in silly excuses as to why women should be sold as commodities in the name of brideprice.

[/"]
Oga,there are place where bride price are pretty cheap.
Sir,marriage is a legal union..... Agreement is what makes a union. And every union must meet up certain obligation before it can be called "legal".
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:31pm On Oct 30, 2018
[quote author=PastorDannie post=72549110][/quote]

First of all I am a lady.
You stated that they had no marriage because the man paid no brideprice and stated that African culture and your bible made it a law that brideprice must be paid before they are recognised.But they had a statutory marriage which is legal and recognised by law so in order words they have been married since.Even you yourself stated that marriage is a legal union.

Also note that not everyone(though not common)depending on the family accept the brideprice because they believe their daughters are not for sale.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by PastorDannie(m): 10:42pm On Oct 30, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

First of all I am a lady.
You stated that they had no marriage because the man paid no brideprice and stated that African culture and your bible made it a law that bprideprice must be paid before they are recognised.But they had a statutory marriage which is legal and recognised by law so in order words they have been married since.Even you yourself stated that marriage is a legal union.

Also note that not everyone(though not common)depending on the family accept the brideprice because they believe their daughters are not for sale.

Pardon me dearie.
I don't know they had a statutory marriage.(maybe,I didn't see it in the post).
Thanks .
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by luluosas(m): 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2018
In the eye of the law, right? No wonder contract marriage abounds in our days
Ugosample:

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by luluosas(m): 3:07pm On Nov 02, 2018
Okay ooooooo
Ladyhippolyta88:

If they are married under the civil law they are married the unncessary opinion of others claiming that they are not married because he did not pay the price tag on her head is irrelevant.
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ugosample(m): 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2018
luluosas:
In the eye of the law, right? No wonder contract marriage abounds in our days

yea

the law of the land supersedes everything

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by faithfull18(f): 5:59am On Nov 16, 2018
Hmmm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baby Falls Off Mum’s Back On Okada, Crushed By Truck / Pregnant Mom Has Baby's Face On Her Stomach / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.