Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,069 members, 7,973,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 09:30 PM

Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! (3876 Views)

Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. / Video Of GEJ's Phone Chat With The Falconets / Super Falconets Midfielder ASISAT OSHOALA (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by texazzpete(m): 8:44am On Jul 19, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5595229-146/our_falconets_are_playing_for_peanuts.csp

People, after reading this report i think we need to escalate this matter. Sporting performance has two factors; the players and the support from the people they represent. If we cannot make noise over this issue to ensure decent motivation and compensation for these ladies, then we have no business complaining about future shoddy turnouts!
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Okijajuju1(m): 8:58am On Jul 19, 2010
Our Falconets are playing for peanuts
By Nnamdi Okosieme

July 18, 2010 01:28AM
print email

Nigeria is participating in the FIFA Women's World Cup currently taking place in Germany. It is her fifth appearance since 2002 when she appeared in the maiden edition in Canada. Aside that debut appearance where she failed to advance into the knock-out stages, she has made it to the quarter-final of every other edition.

As is the norm when footballers are on national duty, they are paid daily camp allowances and matches bonuses. For the ladies in Germany, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), which squandered one billion naira on the Super Eagles at the just ended World Cup in South Africa, does not think they are worth spending money on.

For the tackles and injuries the young Nigerian women have been receiving in Germany since they played their opening game against England last Wednesday, the Falconets get a paltry $500, that is if they win the match. For a draw, it is half that amount. So, basically, for all their effort in the 1-1 draw against England, our young girls were paid just $250.

Unfair treatment

The Super Eagles, by contrast were promised a whopping $30,000 match bonus for any match they won at the World Cup.

The difference between what the senior men's national team players are entitled to is not only astronomical, it is also indicative of the attitude of the football federation towards female players.

This is the position of Henrietta Ukaigwe, a journalist and President of the Female Football Interest Group (FFIG), a non-governmental organisation set up to advance the interest of female players. "It is so blatantly unfair. To pay the girls that little for the efforts they put into making Nigeria look good on the international scene is something that borders on injustice. There is no justification at all when you consider that at the World Cup that just ended in South Africa, the Super Eagles were promised as much as $30,000 if they won a match. We all saw how the Eagles performed at the tournament.

"As for the women's U-20 team, they have always shown commitment to (the) national cause. In the last three editions, they have always made the quarter-final, yet nobody cares about them. If we spent a quarter of what we lavish on the eagles on these girls, I assure you we will win the World Cup," Ukaigwe said.

Not a new thing

The discrimination in terms of allowances is only an aspect of the general scant regard paid to issues involving women in football, and is certainly not restricted to the Falconets.

The senior national women's team, the Super Falcons, hardly fare better. The best the players who have made it to every edition of the senior women's World Cup since its inception have received in terms of match-winning bonus, has been $700. Even in terms of other related matters like accommodation of players, the Falcons always get second-class treatment.

While members of the Super Eagles are quartered in five-star hotels, our senior women's national team players are often kept in less than befitting accommodation.

"That is the lot of female footballers. We have an uncaring football federation, which treats us as if we are not human beings. They always neglect us and pay all the attention to the men. I remember in 2002 when we were preparing for the African Women's Championship, they kept us in the dilapidated hostels of the National Institute of Sports in Lagos," says a former member of the Falcons, who pleaded that her name be kept out of print.

"It was a horrible experience for most of us. We could not believe that players who were on national duty could be treated that way. Apart from mosquitoes, which feasted regularly us, we had to go for long periods without power supply. All this was in addition to the terrible food we were served. In the midst of our own suffering, we could not help feeling pity for our foreign-based colleagues who came all the way from America to serve their fatherland. It was an experience one cannot wish on her enemies," she said.

From Prisca to Blessing

Horrible as it may be, it was nothing compared to the treatment meted to Prisca Emeafu, a former member of the team. Emeafu was the Falcons' assistant captain, who at the 1999 World Cup in the United States of America, had proved to be one of the team's best players.

The following year, as the Falcons prepared for the Sydney Olympic Games, they were camped at the Obasanjo Farms in Ota. One morning, armed robbers broke into their camp and Emeafu and her team mates scampered for safety. As she jumped from the first floor of the hotel, she landed badly, with a metal object piercing her ankle.

That injury ended her football career. At the time of the injury, officials of the ministry of sports and the Nigeria Football Association, as the NFF was then known, promised to do everything in their power to make her comfortable. They even promised to get her employed in the ministry.

In the end, it proved to be empty talk. The best they could do for the young lady was to offer her a job as a chaperone with the Falcons. It did not matter to them that, through their carelessness in not adequately protecting her while she was in their care, they had ended her career. Tired of waiting for them to fulfil their promise, Emeafu explored other alternatives. Through the help of some former colleagues in the team and some kind individuals who provided funds, she made her way to the United States where she presently resides.

Years after abandoning Emeafu, the Nigerian football administrators is still proving adept at mistreating young Nigerian ladies who answer the national call.

In 2006, Blessing Akusiobi, an orphan and the eldest of three siblings, found herself relishing national assignment in Russia, venue of that year's FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup. At the tournament, she was one of the stalwarts in the Falconets' defence, as she helped repel attacks on the Nigerian goal.

In Nigeria's quarter-final match against Brazil, the game was tied at 1-1 when, with 10 minutes remaining, Akusiobi tore a ligament in her knee. She was taken out and moments later, Brazil scored. Nigeria lost the match and Akusiobi's troubles began. After an assessment had been done of her injury, doctors in Nigeria suggested she be flown abroad for surgery.

Rather than move with precision, the NFA stalled, eventually feigning ignorance of injury to the young lady even though it had been televised live to the whole world, and the then Secretary of the NFA who led the girls to the tournament, had witnessed it firsthand. It took nearly two years, precisely in April 2008, before Akusiobi was taken out of Nigeria for surgery.

By then it was too late; the damage had been done and a fledgling career had been cut short. Today, Akusiobi, without parents and having two younger siblings to cater for, is walking the streets seeking help from kindly Nigerians. She is often seen hanging around the National Stadium, asking for handouts.

On their own

With the uncaring attitude of our football administrators, the young ladies currently on national duty may appear to be on their own. With a measly $500 as reward for victory and $250 for a draw for the players, most of whom come from poor homes, Nigeria is certainly not encouraging its teeming youth to be ready to die for it if need be.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5595229-146/our_falconets_are_playing_for_peanuts.csp
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Okijajuju1(m): 10:26am On Jul 19, 2010
I waited for like 3 hours after this pst to see if anyone would respond, but I guess Nigerians really dont care about the falcons.

So I guess they should ban themselves for two years and maybe the govt. would notice them.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Papishi(m): 11:08am On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

I waited for like 3 hours after this pst to see if anyone would respond, but I guess Nigerians really dont care about the falcons.

So I guess they should ban themselves for two years and maybe the govt. would notice them.
[quote][/quote]okija u have spoken well I could nt believe dat dis inhumanity 2 humans is still paramount n Nigerian sports. May d children of d thiefs behind dis suffer d same fate dat sum of dis girls re suffering. We will nt relent until they {NFF} change their attitude.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by DisGuy: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2010
Generally I'll expect Nigeria teams to be taken care of when representing the country

BUT lets also consider the age of these representative, though i don't know much about bonuses and allowances but one would expect the National Male Team to earn considerable much more than under 19 female team
you also have to consider how much the teams bring in in terms of FIFA bonuses and endorsements

We should be comparing the U-20 male teams with the Under 20 female team but generally Insurance, Medical, Accomodation etc should be standard irrespective of the sex and age of the players

The amount FIFA pays to the winner of the Female U-20 world cup winner is also considerable less than adult Female World Cup

Anyone have information on what England U-20 male team get compared to National Team?
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by kodewrita(m): 11:50am On Jul 19, 2010
Thats typical. what do you expect from the NFF?
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 11:55am On Jul 19, 2010
Before people starts jumping on the bandwagon, i would like to say that we should first consider how much Fifa gives out to federations for female football development, how much the U-20 cup is worth and how much the tournament itself is expected to generate.

1:"You can't compare the women U-20 world cup with the Men's Senior World-cup

2: You should only compare the U-20 females with their U-20 male counterparts and not the Senior national team, it's a mis-representation

3: How much were their U-20 male counterpart paid when they were in Egypt?

The answers to these questions are enough to decide if the girls are being treated poorly or not.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by ollypass: 12:01pm On Jul 19, 2010
i fear most of these girls don't av the bargaining power of the bigger boys also they may not draw in much marketing Naira like the eagles or endorsements but its no reason why they should be paid so little by an NFF who forgets you even when you become incapacitated while on national duty.

It wont be a Surprise if the account books reveal they are paying them say $2500.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by MeGaStReEt: 12:04pm On Jul 19, 2010
this is bad, realy bad
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by saintchux(m): 12:20pm On Jul 19, 2010
1.Super eagles is not equal to the falconet, that is the starting point.
2. If super eagles are paid $30K for a win, at least is reasonable that falconet be paid at least $5K.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by DisGuy: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2010
saintchux:

2. If super eagles are paid $30K for a win, at least is reasonable that falconet be paid at least $5K.

you mean? $500

What does FIFA pay the winning team, or how much do they give the federation for participating?

I Think NFF can do better with the League so atleast these girls get regular income, they should get better sponsors but then again Nigerians hardly pay to watch them on home soil, in fact they hardly watch the mens junior teams so how exactly do they generate income?
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:28pm On Jul 19, 2010
saintchux:

Na wa to you oooh, just say that the female world cup has not caught the fancy of Nigerians to a level that will make them dump the worst performing Super Eagles for a bold and performing falconet in terms of audience and loyalty. if they were shabbily treated, then is goes to show you how far female football has come in Nigeria.

When they start picking the fancy of Nigerians as their male conterparts, they will get better treatement
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by oisehumen(m): 1:06pm On Jul 19, 2010
honeric01:

Before people starts jumping on the bandwagon, i would like to say that we should first consider how much Fifa gives out to federations for female football development, how much the U-20 cup is worth and how much the tournament itself is expected to generate.

1:"You can't compare the women U-20 world cup with the Men's Senior World-cup

2: You should only compare the U-20 females with their U-20 male counterparts and not the Senior national team, it's a mis-representation

3: How much were their U-20 male counterpart paid when they were in Egypt?

The answers to these questions are enough to decide if the girls are being treated poorly or not.

You have said it all.
I strongly disagree with the poster that Falconets are being treated shabbily.

Try and find answers to the questions asked above. Am sure u will write to counter what u have posted.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by kobikwelu(m): 1:12pm On Jul 19, 2010
It wont be a Surprise if the account books reveal they are paying them say $2500

LOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2010
ukaigwe and co need to tell us what is motivating them. love for these girls or their own pockets.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by damilola15: 1:42pm On Jul 19, 2010
The case of Prisca and Blessing is pathetic, even if you wouldn't pay them a reasonable amount, they deserve insurance(at lease all aspect connected with the duty).
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by manmustwac(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2010
This just proves that we nigerians are the ones suffering ourselves
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Redman44(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hmn, I don't even know what to say again. Sports administration in Nigeria has been hijacked by opportunists and mediocres. I doubt if the current falconets are insured in the event of injuries or other unexpected mishaps. It seems many Nigerians lack organisational skills and the country is paying dearly for this. My advice to the girls is that they should not worry about the cash they're being given. They should just play well because scouts from European clubs are watching them. Play well, score goals, and get signed by the scouts. Goodluck, Falconets.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2010
The national teams and their treatment is a reflection of how our people are being treated. Many of these people will be the first ones to condemn the white man for their part in slavery when they themselves are doing worse to their fellow country folks. The least the falconets deserve is to be treated with dignity and respect.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Papishi(m): 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Na wa to you oooh, just say that the female world cup has not caught the fancy of Nigerians to a level that will make them dump the worst performing Super Eagles for a bold and performing falconet in terms of audience and loyalty. if they were shabbily treated, then is goes to show you how far female football has come in Nigeria.

When they start picking the fancy of Nigerians as their male conterparts, they will get better treatement
[quote][/quote]whether FIFA turn in large money 4 female tournaments or not that doesn't mean dat NFF should turn their backs on this girls wen they get injured. And 2 support lagerwhenindoubt u would nt believe the num of people dat paid money 2 watch these girl match against Japan nd 4 me I would rather prefer Oparanozie 2 strike 4 me than Fatkubu nd let me have pretty kalu nd Esther Sunday instead of Olofinjana nd Kaitastrophy.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by DisGuy: 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2010
From 2007 but might b worth reading, I am sure a lot has changes as there are more marketable and the people on top over there actually get do some work

http://soccerlens.com/womens-football-in-england-slave-labor/4026/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/7095951.stm

I like this part,

That goes into financing the grass roots of the game, a salary development officer in each county to get more girls playing in schools, and we have a full-time scholarship at Loughborough University for 20 students each year - we pay their accommodation fees and tuition fees - and finance five elite teams.
"The point to make here is that the men's game has had a 100-year start on women's football and we hope in the not-too-distant future that the women's league will be completely different product."

BUT where are the former female players do they know something we dont or they just can be bothered and what about that woman on AIT sport folade or something how comes shes never had anything to do with female footballers (she cant get free flight tickets unlike the mens team?)
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Kgdavid(m): 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2010
well i agree with some things in the article and not with others, it i the duty of nigeria to ensure that the players representing the country at whatever level are given the best accomodation, security and insurance that we can afford, and God knows we can afford to do better than what im reading here. as for the amount they get as bonuses and allowances i dont think there is anything really wrong with that cuz a player is supposed to earn his/her bread when playing for his/her club side and not when representing the nation which is an honour. but since we do make some money whenever we participate in fifa competitions, the girls should be paid proportionate to what amount fifa gives us and no more. the demand to watch the falconets is way to low to justify the celebrity status they're demanding
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Pappij: 4:00pm On Jul 19, 2010
Really sad, cry cry cry

Vagabonds have taken over , not just our economy, our politics, our education, our resources, our sports and our dear football.

This is injustice, you cant deliberately treat people talkless of patriots like Prisca and Blessing with disdain.

We need to tell ourselves the truth, its not about equating female football and male football. Its about the fact that a wrong, a fundamental flaw is being perpetrated and must be stopped. Gbam!
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by adexchamp(m): 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2010
Well that's been happening for ages past and i am sure it will continue to happen.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Tatase(f): 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2010
This is not surprising news at all. Hopefully, these girls will at least get their money, paltry though it may be. Remember the Falcons in 2004 in South Africa who had to protest and make a big thing because they were not paid any of their promised match bonuses or camp fees despite winning the African Women's Championship? And then the NFA and officials were making it about the honour of playing for your country. Ehn, how come when the Super Eagles are playing N1 billion can easily be spent and talk of honour is forgotten by all but the fans.

And the thing is, I realize that women's football is not a huge money-spinner in general, but still some things are just unfair. Of course 1 billion is excessive, but the difference between a N75,000 match bonus if you win (what these girls are getting) and a N4.5 million (what SE were promised) is tooo much and wayyyy more than the difference between the two teams.

My hope for these girls is that all of them can find good clubs or university teams (abroad) that will sign them and develop their talent, and/or train them in a field, so that they can be successful in professional football or whatever other path they choose AND more importantly have some real support for their careers.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Parnassuss(m): 7:43pm On Jul 19, 2010
Well what can i really do to help these girls, I guess I can only support them by watching their matches live if possible, propagating and diseminating their good points and generally not forgetting them when they are off field.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Nymphnode(m): 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

grin grin grin A lot of Nigerians wouldn't notice it they dared
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by CarlosVent(m): 8:42pm On Jul 19, 2010
dey r not motivated financially at all
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Shaunscot(m): 9:06pm On Jul 19, 2010
Cant read thru all the posts but here is my 2 cents
People really dont care about female soccer.
I remember the case of some of these women who lost their jobs at their clubs just because they opted to be patriotic.Last I heard was the NFF(then NFA) paying them 50k Naira to leave Abuja.
its very sad if you ask me.

Back to the main issue, I think its unfair comparism if you are comparing the Super Chickens with the Female U-20 team.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Acidosis(m): 10:22pm On Jul 19, 2010
If only the eagles can be treated like this. . .
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by Princek12(m): 10:51pm On Jul 19, 2010
at least they are making something. Womens football tournaments generally don't generate as much money as the mens, so you can't expect the NFF to pay the girls much. There are also not that many women football leagues. That is life, and this problem is pervasive, for it happens in just about every country, so deal with it. Even women themselves rarely watch womens football, except, maybe, the womens senior World Cup.
Re: Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria! by chelseabmw(m): 11:06pm On Jul 19, 2010
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trending Troll Pictures Of Chelsea's Loss / How To Register And Book A Game On Bet9ja.com / WWE - World Wrestling Entertainment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.