Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,133 members, 7,887,267 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:30 AM

Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study (5792 Views)

$650m Abuja Medical City Planned By FG / Imagine Obasanjo, Bakare As Revolutionaries- Editor, the Nation newspaper / The Greatest Pan-Africanist/Revolutionaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

Mouthing off is cheap. Soon you'd shout Opa mi o! and run away. Muddef0king coward. Don't worry though. You'll get your wish if things don't change. Nigeria is simmering.

The same thing you pathetic monkeys have been doing for 40 years. Mouth off, sulk a little bit and go back to your sorry life. While the same cowardly people have been holding you by the jugular.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by yiboboy: 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
Onlytruth:

You see, it never occurs to idiots like you that ANYONE can create ANY number of usernames here. Why do you think that only you can do it?
Cowardly and pathetic.

ahahaha, humourless ibo pikin, of-course u'd never catch the joke, truth be told, u's the butt of the joke, oponu. tongue
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2010
Cause I raised the question that the 1966 coup wasn't a revolution rather a tribal determination among a few member of a particular tribe, you guys wanted to build a propaganda over that? Started researching websites. Why are you trying to make your tribesman's unjustifiable acts right? Guilty conscience? A coup is not a revolution simple. And it was a tribal oriented coup. That doesn't mean Igbos are evil but to try to paint a picture of a guilty act with the ink of innocence is absurd. Y'all even came up with the theory that the coup was to make Awolowo the whatever is really absurd and reeks out of your intention to claim innocent and unbiased for a one sided coup. Y'all nuccas are despicable. Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna are guilty and nothing you can do about it. That doesn't mean Igbos are guilty but the more you try to paint a saint picture for Igbos, the more you make them seem guilty in every front. Move on; it's all history now. Don't try to spread a propaganda to distort history. Leave history alone.

Coup is not revolution. You guys speak all kinds of grammar but still call a coup revolution.!! It bites you guys the coup was an Igbo coup? You are trying to make your people like civilized, patriotic people at the detriment of others? You want people to agree that it was a revolution so you can say Igbos are revolutionists and other people are cowards who don't know how to do things? The so called research didn't state the criteria they used to arrive at such conclusion instead they are posting this person said that person. Primary sources? No primary sources and you want us to take that as an historical fact? Also, you choose contradicting primary sources everywhere depending on what suits your tales.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by chyz(m): 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2010
Funny stuvs mehn
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by kildran: 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
Quite a few iresponsible comments on this thread.

First off, if u are in d military, u r dere to defend the nation (Nothing like sectional interests), cos fellow officers are yr brother at arms. Tribalism or ethnic sentiments will destroy any army. Just inagine having such a mindset on d frontline. Another thing I would like to reiterate is that Major Kaduna gave himself up in Tai Solarin's house (infact the road there is named after him).
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by tpiah: 11:00pm On Jul 20, 2010
^^any links to that?
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by kildran: 11:30pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Tpiah

Hello how are you doin? bin tryin 2 chat wif u 4 ages. Can we chat on messenger? Pls
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by sjeezy8: 11:36pm On Jul 20, 2010
Theres no point in even paying this thread attention sef- from someone that said Major Kaduna ngwzenu is not igbo but is an Hausa boy- RIDICULOUS

I saw the comments from some hausas - they seemed pissed alittle about the lies . lol funny tho
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by dayokanu(m): 11:49pm On Jul 20, 2010
The 1966 revolutionaries managed to Kill 2 politicians from the North- The Prime minister and premier of the North-

They managed to Kill the premier of the West -A Yoruba man

They killed the Minister of Finance- A South South man

What happened to the President -An Igboman? He escaped

What happened to the premier of the eastern region? He escaped.

@OP, Can you tell us why other regions lost PROMINENT POLITICAL LEADERS but not the East In a coup led my mainly Igbo Soldiers

The 1966 Coup showed why a certain part of the country cant be trusted, when Soldiers from there killed other regional leaders but left their alone.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by tpiah: 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2010
kildran:

@Tpiah

Hello how are you doin? bin tryin 2 chat wif u 4 ages. Can we chat on messenger? Pls

what's your email address?
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by kildran: 12:04am On Jul 21, 2010
iluscode@yahoo.com
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by sjeezy8: 12:10am On Jul 21, 2010
dayokanu:

The 1966 revolutionaries managed to Kill 2 politicians from the North- The Prime minister and premier of the North-

What happened to the premier of the eastern region? He escaped.

@OP, Can you tell us why other regions lost PROMINENT POLITICAL LEADERS but not the East In a coup led my mainly Igbo Soldiers

The 1966 Coup showed why a certain part of the country cant be trusted, when Soldiers from there killed other regional leaders but left their alone.

nawww All those are lies- like the poster said those igbo officers who killed everyone around the country werent igbo they were hausas and o yea I forgot they were hausas who wanted to put Awolowo in place to head the country.

nonsense upon nonsense
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by bkbabe90(m): 2:17am On Jul 21, 2010
dayokanu:

What happened to the premier of the eastern region?  He escaped.

Wrong, he didnt escape! After the Northerners were killed, the coup plotters (led by Major Ifeajuna) WENT TO BRIEF THE PREMIER OF THE EASTERN REGION OF THEIR ACTIONS AND TO TELL HIM THAT THE COAST WAS CLEAR AND THEY HAD SUCCEEDED!!!
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by texazzpete(m): 9:08am On Jul 21, 2010
I hate commenting on these kind of issues. But it's difficult to trust this study when it's done by someone named 'Emma Okocha'.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by ono(m): 9:48am On Jul 21, 2010
Men!! Tex, you read my mind.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by beneli(m): 10:33am On Jul 21, 2010
texazzpete:

I hate commenting on these kind of issues. But it's difficult to trust this study when it's done by someone named 'Emma Okocha'.

I couldn't resist 'commenting' on the above.

I am aware that some people, especially in multiracial societies, adopt a similar position when the person they're dealing with has a different coloured skin; speaks with an alien-sounding accent etc etc. They say; 'I don't trust you, so I won't employ you because I don't like what your name sounds like'! Or 'you can't know what you're talking about, because you don't sound like you do!'. They are prejudiced by such irrelevancies, which clouds out what might have been the substance of the subject. Ofcourse sometimes these prejudices, founded on stereotypes, are spot on, and the 'subject' or the individual is totally useless or incompetent. But that is by the point.

While I am not suggesting that you're prejudiced; I am, however, curious to know what the name of the person conducting such a study should sound like for it to be considered trustworthy?
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by homerac7: 12:16pm On Jul 21, 2010
hmmmmm,

it's only painful dt ds matter is again being battered with little regard for sensitivities of ppl concerned. by d way d ppl concerned r everyone dt was and is still affected, but who wasn't and isn't affected?

i am true igbo (ibo) by origin. my birth and upbringin fully qualifies me as egba (yoruba) man. so when d civil war is dicussd, my igbo sentiment is seared while my other person begs for restraint. i hav read thru volumes of records of d war by differnt authors, native and foreign. variations in accounts occur, but some facts are indelible.

Major Kaduna Chukwuma Nzeogwu is as much a 'hausa boy' as much as i'm 'yoruba boy'. never d less it is only an act of evasion of truth to just describe him an thus, we all know he was more an igbo man, otherwise, Zik himself wld b another 'hausa boy'. i am still so proud of him because all accounts described him as true and sincere, even his friend obasanjo did same in his book, my command (?).

Majority of d actors were definitely of igbo origin, no doubt. but d issue is if their intention were nationalistic or not? from most writers account, they were nationalistic in intent and that to me makes irrelevant their ethnicity. , but jst right there, isnt that same point that brought about the distrust and counter coup?

Napoleon Bonapatre once said dt it is d victor dt writes d history, obviously he does it to favour himself. moreover, at what point does a coup differ from (or becomes) a revolution?

from accounts, ironsi (then COAS) was at an all-night party on a cruisin boat off lagos beach. d plotters xpected him at okotieboh's party on d island where balewa, fani kayode, maimalari and others victims were (thou he was ther, he left earlier). he returned after he climed he was sick abt 2am to c roadblocks and chaos. now, he mobilized troops to leave by air to fortify the yet to b attacked govt house in enugu b4 d 'rebel' soldiers could get there by road, thus, d coup plotters couldn't get hold of d eastern region premier.

bottom line: Nzeogwu was igbo, those guys were patriots, Eastrn region premier escaped by good fortune, ironsi was actually targetted, present generation r too ethno-religeous biased to b so patriotic.

unanswerable: did ironsi hav a fore-knowledge? (i guess yes, from his careless remark in d officer's mess same night in yaba barracks). what about zik? (i don't know)
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by micklplus(m): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2010
Why do you think your car rear mirror is so small and your wind sheild is very big, its because God only wants you to have a glimpse of your past and a wider view of your future

1966 left us so many years ago and we are here, still robbing it in!!!

Cheers all
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by homerac7: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2010
@MICKLPLUS,

because IT'S A CORPSE WE TRIED TO BURY BUT LEFT IT'S FEET UNCOVERED. WE NEVER BURIED IT PROPERLY!
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by homerac7: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2010
@Miklplus,

because it's a corpse we tried to bury but left its feet outside. we never buried it properly, albeit sincerely.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by texazzpete(m): 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2010
beneli:

I couldn't resist 'commenting' on the above.

I am aware that some people, especially in multiracial societies, adopt a similar position when the person they're dealing with has a different coloured skin; speaks with an alien-sounding accent etc etc. They say; 'I don't trust you, so I won't employ you because I don't like what your name sounds like'! Or 'you can't know what you're talking about, because you don't sound like you do!'. They are prejudiced by such irrelevancies, which clouds out what might have been the substance of the subject. Ofcourse sometimes these prejudices, founded on stereotypes, are spot on, and the 'subject' or the individual is totally useless or incompetent. But that is by the point.

While I am not suggesting that you're prejudiced; I am, however, curious to know what the name of the person conducting such a study should sound like for it to be considered trustworthy?

Don't be silly. My comment is obviously tied to the question of objectivity, of whether the scholar could carry out the study with an unbiased mind. His defensive tone of voice during his press conference does not help. Go and read the initial post and see if the fellow seems impartial. Without providing any concrete information on his study, or at least providing his final materials, there's nothing to support his credibility here.

Attempting to tie my comment with examples of racial discrimination is just plain mischievous.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by beneli(m): 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2010
^^^

The authors opinion may or may not be impartial: it's your dismissal of his study as untrustworthy purely on the basis of his name, as you affirmed in your post, that I commented on.'The tone of his voice' etc is irrelevant to the issue I raised. I suggest that you don't resort to name calling ('don't be silly'; 'plain mischievious' etc) as a 'defence' mechanism. It's not proper, especially when it distracts from the issue raised.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by omofat: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2010
^^^ I think you're getting worked up over nothing much.

If you had been following the thread, you would realise that Texazzpete was only referring to the author's bonafides and questioning his objectivity as a result. I understand that the single quote you cite might make it seem that way but perhaps read the quote within the context of the entire thread and it's not so difficult to see.

I really don't think you can make that leap to equating it with racial discrimination solely based on name.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by beneli(m): 3:48pm On Jul 21, 2010
^^^

OK
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by texazzpete(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2010
@benelli
beneli:

^^^

OK

And i apologize if my reply was offensive to you.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by tpiah: 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2010
texazzpete:

he said his parents were killed during the Asaba massacre and he wrote a book about those events.
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by beneli(m): 8:03pm On Jul 21, 2010
texazzpete:

@benelli
And i apologize if my reply was offensive to you.

Thanks!
Re: Jan ‘66 Coup Planned By Revolutionaries, Says Study by Katsumoto: 8:11pm On Jul 21, 2010
tpiah:

he said his parents were killed during the Asaba massacre and he wrote a book about those events.

I guess a university professor was not smart enough to discern that his attempt at changing opinions would be seen as biased. The very fact that he was a victim of the consequences of the coup rules him out from writing an unbiased account. I also guess he doesn't know why the referee in a match between Ghana and Nigeria will never be a Nigerian or Ghanian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shock And Disbelief - Registration Centers Found In Anambra's Evil Forest Shrine / Nimasa Building At Apapa On Fire? / How Would You Manage Corruption In Nigeria If You Are President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.