Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,453 members, 7,881,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 01:44 AM

On Not Too Young To Run - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Not Too Young To Run (226 Views)

Meet The Young Nigerians Behind "Not Too Young To Run" Advocacy - Pictures / President Buhari Signing "Not Too Young To Run" Bill Into Law (Photos) / Buhari: I Will Sign ‘Not Too Young To Run’ Bill In Few Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Not Too Young To Run by thecolumnist: 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2018
Like I do on many other issues. I would like to x-ray the import, as well as the impact of the concept of Not Too Young To Run (Not just the bill).
IMPORT
The idea pre-supposes that the Nigerian youth has come of age and is no more comfortable being a supporter of the old brigade. He/she wants to be at the rudder of the Ship of State.
We look at other climes and all of a sudden realize how laisser-faire we have been. Imagine the Emmanuel Macrons of this world leading France, the George Weahs of this world leading Liberia and so on.
This idea, Nigeria’s teeming youth population has pushed and obviously yielding results already. Especially with the recent passage of the Not Too Young To Run Bill.
Going into the 2019 elections are countless young Nigerians who are aspiring to public office. Each armed with his/her own ideas and manifesto. This is the situation today.
However, what proponents of this idea have not thought enough of is what impact, negative or positive would these young aspirants bring to public office (I must say I am all for the idea, though with few reservations).
IMPACT
A pre-requisite to performing optimally in any chosen field is technical know-how. There is the need however little to have excelled down the ladder before aspiring to high office. It helps the individual and it helps the polity.
I would suppose that a Local Government Chairmanship aspirant should have operated at the Ward level, especially as a Councillor or have commensurate administrative knowledge in an appointed, elected or private capacity.
A presidential, governorship, senatorial etc, aspirant should have had requisite experience of service in a capacity down the ladder. I must emphasize that though I hold these opinions, yet I do not see them as statutory but necessary. It simply aids performance.
In alignment with the thought above, a lack or insufficience of cognate experience confines such a person to mere experimentation; and learning on the job as some are already notably doing. A case that comes to mind is that of Yahaya Bello of Kogi State.
Talking about this fellow is talking about senseless and directionless leadership. Youthful exuberance heightened by belonging to a political party that has tendency to nonchalance.
The leadership of such incompetent youth breeds
• Mind boggling debt and looting.
• Nonpayment of salaries.
• Needless political turmoil and thuggery.
• Arrogance.
• Bribery and high corruption.
• Godfatherism, and the list goes on.
As a member of this youthful population, I see no reason why some obviously ill prepared (even though they wouldn’t want to hear this) aspirants must aspire in their current state.
My submission is; youths who have had sufficient experience (and are sure of this) should go on to aspire. However, the vast majority must tell themselves the truth - for they are not yet ready. This majority must start small and grow or should work towards appointments and be ready to learn. I and like minds refuse youths who would be worse than the old folks.

https://twitter.com/icolumnist

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: We Can’t Meet ASUU’s Demand Due To Drop In Oil Price – FG / Press Briefing By Barr. Ismaeel Ahmed, Senior Special Assistant To The President / Osinbajo Launches Tradermoni In More Lagos Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.