Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,879 members, 7,899,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 08:18 AM

Rafael Everton Presented As New Akwa United Head Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rafael Everton Presented As New Akwa United Head Coach (407 Views)

Mariano Diaz Is Officially Presented As Real Madrid’s New Number 7 - Photo / Cristiano Ronaldo Will Be Presented As A Juventus Player ON Monday / The N261 Million Watch Rafael Nadal Wore To Win French Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rafael Everton Presented As New Akwa United Head Coach by MrIkebuk(m): 7:45am On Nov 06, 2018
Akwa United have unveiled their new head coach, Rafael Everton, following his appointed.

The Brazilian returns to Nigeria for a third spell in the Nigeria topflight, having previously coached FC Ifeanyi Ubah and Abia Warriors.

He takes over from Abdu Maikaba who quit the Uyo side to join Plateau United because of family reasons.

Everton, who penned a one-year contract, was presented at the Godswill Akpabio stadium on Monday, with the club’s chairman Paul Bassey revealing that experience and availability were the deciding factors.

“We decided to go for a foreign coach as it were, but we also know that we needed a foreign coach with a lot of Nigerian experience,” Bassey said.

“We also eliminated some coaches in Nigeria for some obvious reasons. Let me repeat, that we’re going into an abridged league.

“Paul Aigbogun? Fantastic coach, and other coaches of the national team. But because of the work they’re doing with the national teams, there will come a time that these coaches will not be available to Akwa United. Therefore, I was very careful, because we’re starting with a new coach whose philosophy and tactics may be different, and he’ll need one season to be able to impart that philosophy into the players. Therefore, you cannot afford to be absent, even for one week.”

Bassey also disclosed that there were some Akwa United insiders who kicked against the idea of hiring a foreign coach.

Advertisements

REPORT THIS AD
“I’ve had people who tell me, ‘don’t bring a foreign coach. A Nigerian will understand us, and so on’,” he said, adding, “This man, having worked in Nnewi and Umuahia, doesn’t need another terrain to be a Nigerian coach.”

Everton, on his part, said he took the job because he likes ‘new challenges’.

“I like new challenges. I like Nigeria. It’s my second home,” said the former Abia Warriors coach.

Rafael Everton takes charge of his first training as Akwa United head coach

Everton, in his first stint in Nigeria, led FC Ifeanyi Ubah to a fourth place finish in the Nigeria Professional Football League as well as an Aiteo Cup triumph. He resigned two days after the Aiteo Cup glory, though, after being offered a lesser role.

The Brazilian then returned for a second spell at the Nnewi club before the start of the 2016-17 season to assist Ghanaian Yaw Preko. Everton resigned barely two months later, citing external interference.

He took charge of his first training session as Akwa United coach on Monday evening•

https://234football.com/2018/11/06/rafael-everton-presented-as-new-akwa-united-head-coach/
Re: Rafael Everton Presented As New Akwa United Head Coach by MrIkebuk(m): 7:51am On Nov 06, 2018
This is a big, big news about the unveiling of a new coach by one of the biggest clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League. Admin, please do the needful: push it to the front page.
Re: Rafael Everton Presented As New Akwa United Head Coach by saintjimos(m): 7:57am On Nov 06, 2018
GOOD DEVELOPMENT

MEANING THERE'S MONEY IN AKWA UNITED TO AFFORD SUCH A COACH

(1) (Reply)

EPL: Arsenal’s Squad Against Wolves Revealed [full List] / Super Eagles Open Camp In Asaba Ahead Of Bafana Bafana / Amazing Nigerian Boy Balances Ball On His Head With The Aid Of A Plastic Bottle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.