Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,371 members, 7,888,208 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:38 PM

Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu (529 Views)

Donald Trump: ''Africans Are Lazy Fools Only Good At Lovemaking And Stealing” / Civil Servants Corrupt, Lazy, Says President / Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2010
[size=18pt]Nigerian leaders are lazy, says Ribadu
[/size]

Nuhu Ribadu, the former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), yesterday accused Nigerian leaders of intellectual laziness.

Speaking at the 13th annual Wole Soyinka lecture commemorating the Nobel Laureate's 76th birthday, Mr Ribadu said, [size=13pt]"I have always believed that to have an economy that depends solely on oil and gas is a sign of lack of economic imagination and ambition. It is a sign of mental laziness."[/size]

However, when asked if he will contest for political office next year, Mr. Ribadu, who was recently touted as the presidential candidate of the Action Congress (AC) retorted, "To that I say amen. But my expectation in 2011 really is free and fair election." He refused to entertain further questions along this line.

NEXT had on July 9 exclusively reported that Mr. Ribadu has been tipped to be AC's presidential flag bearer in 2011. There are now indications that four other political parties have asked Mr. Ribadu to be their presidential candidate.

According to an AC stalwart, "fruitful discussions are already at an advanced stage with Mr. Ribadu and he is only waiting for the right time especially because he will need the northern consensus."

Nigeria's problem

In his lecture titled "Nigeria at 50: the crisis of nationhood", the former anti-graft czar used the example of Tanzania and Somalia, to disparage suggestions that religion and ethnicity are the bane of Nigeria's progress. "Tanzania in terms of its ethnic diversity has about 175 ethnic groups and its religious pluralism is a good balance between Christians and Muslims. Not to idealize the country, and in spite of the usual strains and pains of nation building, is it not surprising to us that it remains the most stable and peaceful land in that region?" he asked.

"Think, on the other hand, of Somalia, with its homogeneity in ethnic and religious experience, one people, one religion, one language. What has become of it? Somalia is today the poster child of the very example of a veritable failed and rogue state." Quoting Christopher Kolade, former Nigerian high commissioner to the United Kingdom, Mr Ribadu said "I have read in the papers that the country might be celebrating its 50 years of independence this year and that we might be spending N10 billion on that. For those of us that are more than 50 years, if we think about what we had in place 50years ago, then we shall be celebrating 50 years of decline."

Youth power is the agenda

Mr. Ribadu who appealed to the country's large youth population to drive national development, said public officials illegally transferred about $10 billion from the country to different foreign bank accounts around the world in 2005.

"Within two to three days after the federal government shared allocation, there is always an outflow of money from the country. But in 2006 when we started working with foreign law enforcement agencies and foreign bank accounts were no more safe, about $15 billion came into Nigeria. That was the money that fuelled the banking and the stock market" he said.

"We did it then, even though they were not happy about our service to the country. We need to do it again for national development." He argued that any argument that Nigeria lacks credible human resource is not rational considering the fact that the country has produced the likes of Mr Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and a host of others, and appealed to the victims of his anti-corruption campaign to turn around and join in the quest to rebuild the country.

He declared, "There is nothing personal. We are all citizens of Nigeria. We can make mistakes due to the fault of the system. But the good thing is that we can also make amends of what we have done wrong. Let us come together and fix our country including those who made mistakes." He disparaged money politics and enjoined Nigerians to shun it because "the work to remake Nigerian federalism and its democracy for the benefit of the majority of our people is not in air-conditioned offices, not in the long stretched limousines, the private jets, or the pent houses on foreign beaches that house the property acquired with resources appropriated by a few of us from our common wealth."

He said that, "It is the boundless energy of our people and the indomitable spirit of our youth. Let us say it bold and clear here today that young Nigerians must take the responsibility and accountability for leadership of this great nation from now on."

The lecture was witnessed by Babatunde Fashola, the Lagos State governor, Segun Olusola, former ambassador, and Kayode Fayemi, the Ekiti State gubernatorial candidate for the AC, among others.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu by EzeUche(m): 4:00pm On Jul 21, 2010
A lot of multiethnic nations as doing well. Not only Tanzania, but also look at India. However, I feel tribalism has spoiled any national consensus ever since Nigeria was created. Our forefathers should have prevented it at all cost, but I think it is too late. People in Nigeria will always look through a tribal lens. This is the sad fact. The coup, pogroms in the north and the civil war did not help either, but only make tribalism here to stay.

This nation is simply rudderless. No one is steering this ship and will continue to float endlessly into the abyss.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2010
^^^ are you actually trying to convince NL that Angel Micheal came to you and told you to stop being a tribalist?

Anywayz, Nigerians are genetically stubborn and hardheaded, it'll take us a looooooooong while to get it together.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu by EzeUche(m): 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ are you actually trying to convince NL that Angel Micheal came to you and told you to stop being a tribalist?

Anywayz, Nigerians are genetically stubborn and hardheaded, it'll take us a looooooooong while to get it together.

I was never a tribalist to begin with. My best friend name is Akin. Most of the time I was only joking around, but it is time for me to get serious on issues. I am not happy how this country is going. And a lot of us are losing our patience.

A fool at 50 will always be a fool.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Lazy, Says Ribadu by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
EzeUche:

I was never a tribalist to begin with. My best friend name is Akin.
right. . . . .

EzeUche:

I was never a tribalist to begin with. My best friend name is Akin. Most of the time I was only joking around, but it is time for me to get serious on issues. I am not happy how this country is going. And a lot of us are losing our patience.

A fool at 50 will always be a fool.

I'll keep an eye on your posts in this section to see how serious you've become undecided

(1) (Reply)

Ad Denies Merger With Ac ! / Voters’ Register: It’s Now N84bn Not N74bn, Says Jega / Police Force Claims That 32 Of Its Men Were Assassinated By Members Of Bokoharam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.