Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,772 members, 7,945,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 04:28 PM

Australia: Luke Foley, The Opposition Leader Faces Sexual Harassment Scandal - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Australia: Luke Foley, The Opposition Leader Faces Sexual Harassment Scandal (250 Views)

Ukraine’s Leader Faces Calls For Party Expulsion / Andrew Cuomo Announces Resignation After Damning Harassment Report / Matt Hancock Resigns As Britain's Health Secretary Over Kissing Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Australia: Luke Foley, The Opposition Leader Faces Sexual Harassment Scandal by Mtetimes: 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2018

The opposition leader of Australia’s most populous state, Luke Foley, was on Thursday embroiled in a sexual harassment controversy after a female reporter accused him of inappropriate behaviour.

The allegations were contained in a statement released by the reporter four months ahead of an election he was in a position to win.

Foley, who is the New South Wales (NSW) state Labor party leader, has not responded to the statement.

Also, his spokesman did not answer the telephone or respond to emails seeking comment.

Foley, however, denied any wrongdoing when harassment allegations were first raised by a government minister in parliament on Oct. 18.

Australian media said Foley’s political career was in jeopardy because of the journalist’s statement.

Critics said Labor’s chance of winning power in Australia’s largest state in the election in March could be weakened.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) issued the statement from one of its journalists that detailed alleged misconduct by Foley at a Christmas function in Sydney in 2016.

She said she was forced to go public because the issue was raised in the parliament.

The reporter, Ashleigh Raper, said in her statement that she never wanted the issue to go public.

“It is clear to me that a woman who is the subject of such behaviour is often the person who suffers once a complaint is made,” Raper said in her statement.

“I cherished my position as a state political reporter and feared that would be lost. I also feared the negative impact the publicity could have on me personally and on my young family.”

Raper said she issued the statement because she wanted harassment of women to stop, for politicians to stop using such incidents for “political point scoring”, and to get on with her life.

READ FULL NEWS HERE!

(1) (Reply)

How To Use Microsoft Word / Uber's New Feature Lets Female Drivers In Saudi Take Only Female Passengers / The Genocidal Taunts Of That Notorious Barbarian Called "Trump"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.