Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,026 members, 7,886,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 04:31 PM

The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria (16339 Views)

HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 4:51pm On Jul 23, 2010
At the end of the day the customer wins
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Tatase(f): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2010
I feel bad for hitv really I do, and hopefully they can bounce back from this.

But they really need to step up their quality. Their EPL broadcasts were fine but it's like they didn't really bother with quality control on other stations is poor poor poor! Hi Nolly the sound and picture quality is sooooo bad. Like everyone know that production quality on home videos is bad, but on HiTv it's even worse than vcd and certainly wayyyyyy worse than Africa magic. With channels like BBC world where even when I went to their office the screen resolution is off (so it's not just my tv at home which by the way shows the dstv BBC world properly)  little things like that show whether or not ur interested in quality or not.

People keep saying that dstv had 15yrs to grow ok yes but there's alsobeen 15yrs of technology since dstv started, if you want to compete, u have to either scale down ur ambitions OR offerr something comparable. I mean it would be nice if in 2010 I could know what was showing when I turn on your service (especially since quite a few channels show some random programs and series with no particular order) without having to unearth my hi magazine (it would also cut costs from the necessity of mailing me the magazine).

I agree that there are some nice Magazine programs on nigezie and hi nolly, however, they are mixed in with so much randomness that you seem to just randomly happen on them. I realize that SuperSport had wc rights but couldn't hitv at least have gotten local rights to just Nigeria matches from them like some local channels did? It is ridiculous to be showing a 2008 epl match when ur country is playing wc. Ok what about even something cheap and random like the on-going womens wc or even qualifications for the African womens football championship/womens world cup qualifiers which are just starting, I mean show us something current in the off-season. As for the other sports channels. . . At least show live or ok barest minimum recent athletics meets, not random old IAAF athletics from an undisclosed period where it's December but the sun is blazing high and hot in a Germany or Denmark meet. Show Nigerian athletics tryouts or championships or whatever, support local sports and make it accessible to Nigerian pple. What stops hitv from doing it's own fantasy league for Nigerian sports or something.  Like I said, other than premiership, program quality is not it at all.

On pricing, I feel like they were conducively priced for what they were offering, but in that case, they obviously paid too much for the epl rights to start with. And knowing this, they should have been raising money to develop more/ better content as opposed to trying to raise money to overpay for the premiership again.

I hope this will be an opportunity for them to focus on improving their overall service now that their epl safety Suit has been taken away. Yes ok obviously they're a young company etc, but if u want customers to stick with u, u can't be making excuses like that in 2010 for poor quality, I'm sorry a customer can only be so sympathetic. There are models in Nigeria, africa and worldwide of what to do and what not to do. You've seen how dstv came and overran the Nigerian market (admittedly with bucketloads of financial support from their sa parent company) but still didn't the company start somewhere? When Glo came in, weren't mtn and econet already there? it's not the saMe but it's an example of how u have to keep coming up with new ways to grow ur brand to catch up with bigger players in ur market, otherwise be ready to settle for being 2nd class. We as nigerians (and I love those about us even as I realize it does us no favours) always have big ideas and plans and like to talk big talk and we're really good at that, but when it comes to actually matching up quality and product with the talk, there are always excuses. I really want to support our local enterprise but at the same time, when a customer is working for their money, it's hard to put up with a lesser quality product for sentimental or patriotic reasons particularly when u're not seeing any improvement.

This is a big blow for hitv but it doesn't have to be the end. It might be a blessing in disguise and a good opportunity to step up the rest of their service and grow their brand without the heavy financial burden of the epl.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by warripekin(m): 5:18pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi Tv  Correct Tv  or Yeye Tv  according to Warri people. I saw it coming! I new they were going no where and I never bothered buying them. Instead of focusing their business on the challenges facing them, they were busy suing their rivals in court and chasing small time viewing centers up and down. I wonder who they will chase now.Silly!Even while Hitv was reigning, Dstv was still out sailing them. Ask any house wife the Cable tv the prefer and you will hear Dstv , why? because African magic is better packaged and women love african magic especially house wives and all these secretries in offices.
I believe Hi tv should go back to their drawing board and look at ways they can improve on content. As for me, I have always preferred my Dstv.  With them, theirs never a dull moment. My best stations:- CNN, NATGEO, HISTORY, DISCOVERY, AFRICAN MAGIC, EPL, NPL ( if I want to laugh), Mtv etc.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by warripekin(m): 5:21pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi Tv  Correct Tv  or Yeye Tv  according to Warri people. I saw it coming! I new they were going no where and I never bothered buying them. Instead of focusing their business on the challenges facing them, they were busy suing their rivals in court and chasing small time viewing centers up and down. I wonder who they will chase now.Silly!Even while Hitv was reigning, Dstv was still out sailing them. Ask any house wife the Cable tv they prefer and you will hear Dstv , why? because African magic is better packaged and women love african magic especially house wives and all these secretries in offices.
I believe Hi tv should go back to their drawing board and look at ways they can improve on content. As for me, I have always preferred my Dstv.  With them, theirs never a dull moment. My best stations:- CNN, NATGEO, HISTORY, DISCOVERY, SUPER SPORTS ,EPL AFRICAN MAGIC, NPL ( if I want to laugh), Mtv etc.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Phony200(m): 5:40pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hell! Where's my ladder? I need to bring down that HiTv dish now now!!
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by cripplswag(m): 5:44pm On Jul 23, 2010
Why do consumers make certain choices in a free market system?

What factors drive the consumers to make these choices?

Why do consumers strive for marginal utility?

What about the theory of indifference curves?

Why would someone decide what goods i spend MY money on, even when there is a close and better substitute?

Would you buy fake drugs or goods because of nationalism burning in your heart, when there is an original substitute even when it is coming from China?

Would you choose Solange, when you can have Beyonce? [size=3pt](wht d f#$k am i thinking?)[/size]

Jst finking out loud
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by bodiaye: 5:47pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi angry sad shocked cool embarassed cry
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Kx: 5:56pm On Jul 23, 2010
This is sweet news for consumers.

I bet if HITV was not a nigerian coy, nobody would have bought it in the first place.

I was on hitv for one month for the love of epl. After one month of poor services and everything hitv represented,
i dashed my hitv decoder and bought dstv.for the past 2/3 yrs, every second spent on dstv even without
epl has been time well spent.

lets learn to do business the way it should be done.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by donobi(m): 6:22pm On Jul 23, 2010
by tomorrow i am bringing down my hitv, this is the end f hitv.
nigerians too like boosting.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:23pm On Jul 23, 2010
buzugee:

and besides why are nigerians so silly ? why are they paying these companys who are charging them exorbitant rates ? in britain cable is like 40 pounds and with 40 pounds you get EVERY CHANNEL. there are some packages for 20 pounds a month too. in america i paid 80 dollars for both high speed internet and my cable package which included HBO. so why are these companys in naija charging an arm and a leg when their cost of doing business in naija is minimal ? more importantly why do you guys allow yourselves to be gouged ?
now me, when i move to naija, in my house i will have no tv. just radio, some incense, candles (nepa wont faze me) and a whole library of books in my house. my entertainment will be reading books in an incense scented, candle lit room. now thats heaven. i aint paying no cable or whatever it is yall pay out there.
yall nigerians gotta take it back to basics. i also look at car prices in nigeria and a car that costs 1000 dollars in america will be sold for like 15000 dollars in nigeria. this is outrageous. why are vultures sucking on an already impoverished people ? i find it annoying and irritating. same goes for mobile phone services etc. why do they charge africans 4 times more than they would charge americans and british people ? is it because we have no regulations in place to keep these vultures in check ?

i tire o!! May God Bless you infinitely!!

at least u too can see pple congratulating themselves here on NL for their mumu-ness and ability to be scammed!!

if na MTN dem go lie say na power, shey DSTV that broadcasts from SA and only recently opened studios in nigeria will also tell us that its power that cannot enable them price the thing reasonably?

the point was not that HITV was really doing any major work, it was that it was cheaper. besides at the time HITV came onstream the only unique thing on DSTV was Big Brother and i daresay it was nigeria's love for it that made it what it is today.

it was the starvation that made them rethink and start investing in more content. if not, DSTV would still be the same old thing.

i wouldnt put it past them to further increase the prices. if im not wrong already DSTV Nigeria is the most expensive DTH service in the world. nigerians are so gullible. to some pple here DSTV is doing them a favour.

bottomline is whether DSTV, or HITV or whosoever, those prices should be reasonable. are you telling me nigeria's rights are more expensive than the rights for UK? so with the killing taxes over there its still cheaper to watch the Prem.

i weep for this country. if una like pop champagne. at times sef i wonder where and how u pple actually watch tv so much, in this same country? unless of course you pple are mostly students, i cant imagine paying so much to watch 3 hrs tv every weekend. thank God for sports streaming online. make una dey dash SA una money o!!! even HITV sef, b4 dem see one kobo dem dey try!!!
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Skmoda360(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hitv sucks big time they dont even show highlights of premiership concurrently nt like Dstv that normally shows it.
Thank God, and i hope they wil nt av any opportunity to get the right again in jesus name.lol
i m really happy.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 6:51pm On Jul 23, 2010
Tatase:

I feel bad for hitv really I do, and hopefully they can bounce back from this.

People keep saying that dstv had 15yrs to grow ok yes but there's alsobeen 15yrs of technology since dstv started, if you want to compete, u have to either scale down your ambitions OR offerr something comparable. I mean it would be nice if in 2010 I could know what was showing when I turn on your service (especially since quite a few channels show some random programs and series with no particular order) without having to unearth my hi magazine (it would also cut costs from the necessity of mailing me the magazine).

I agree that there are some nice Magazine programs on nigezie and hi nolly, however, they are mixed in with so much randomness that you seem to just randomly happen on them. I realize that SuperSport had wc rights but couldn't hitv at least have gotten local rights to just Nigeria matches from them like some local channels did? It is ridiculous to be showing a 2008 epl match when your country is playing wc. Ok what about even something cheap and random like the on-going womens wc or even qualifications for the African womens football championship/womens world cup qualifiers which are just starting, I mean show us something current in the off-season. As for the other sports channels. . . At least show live or ok barest minimum recent athletics meets, not random old IAAF athletics from an undisclosed period where it's December but the sun is blazing high and hot in a Germany or Denmark meet. Show Nigerian athletics tryouts or championships or whatever, support local sports and make it accessible to Nigerian pple. What stops hitv from doing it's own fantasy league for Nigerian sports or something.  Like I said, other than premiership, program quality is not it at all.

On pricing, I feel like they were conducively priced for what they were offering, but in that case, they obviously paid too much for the epl rights to start with.[/b] And knowing this, they should have been raising money to develop more/ better content as opposed to trying to raise money to overpay for the premiership again.

This is a big blow for hitv but it doesn't have to be the end. It might be a blessing in disguise and a good opportunity to step up the rest of their service and grow their brand without the heavy financial burden of the epl.

I agree,u were spot on. But the pricing was too much.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:26pm On Jul 23, 2010
4llerbuntu:

i tire o!! May God Bless you infinitely!!

at least u too can see pple congratulating themselves here on NL for their mumu-ness and ability to be scammed!!

if na MTN dem go lie say na power, shey DSTV that broadcasts from SA and only recently opened studios in nigeria will also tell us that its power that cannot enable them price the thing reasonably?

the point was not that HITV was really doing any major work, it was that it was cheaper. besides at the time HITV came onstream the only unique thing on DSTV was Big Brother and i daresay it was nigeria's love for it that made it what it is today.

it was the starvation that made them rethink and start investing in more content. if not, DSTV would still be the same old thing.

i wouldnt put it past them to further increase the prices. if im not wrong already DSTV Nigeria is the most expensive DTH service in the world. nigerians are so gullible. to some pple here DSTV is doing them a favour.

bottomline is whether DSTV, or HITV or whosoever, those prices should be reasonable. are you telling me nigeria's rights are more expensive than the rights for UK? so with the killing taxes over there its still cheaper to watch the Prem.

i weep for this country. if una like pop champagne. at times sef i wonder where and how u pple actually watch tv so much, in this same country? unless of course you pple are mostly students, i cant imagine paying so much to watch 3 hrs tv every weekend. thank God for sports streaming online. make una dey dash SA una money o!!! even HITV sef, b4 dem see one kobo dem dey try!!!
you have said it all my brother. too many vultures in nigeria. vultures only circle around feeble people waiting for them to die so they can eat them up. you can never get vultures circling around healthy people (western countrys) because they will be fought off. so my advice to nigerians is to pick up a stick and throw it at that vulture circling over your head. chase it away. YALL KNOW WHAT TO DO. but if you wanna be a victim to the vulture because you are trying to keep up with the joneses, then it is ya own funeral
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Kx: 7:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
buzugee:

you have said it all my brother. too many vultures in nigeria. vultures only circle around feeble people waiting for them to die so they can eat them up. you can never get vultures circling around healthy people (western countrys) because they will be fought off. so my advice to nigerians is to pick up a stick and throw it at that vulture circling over your head. chase it away. YALL KNOW WHAT TO DO. but if you wanna be a victim to the vulture because you are trying to keep up with the joneses, then it is ya own funeral

Am i getting the wrong signal or something?

Is vulture being used here because dstv is an SA coy? pls educate me.
it is common knowledge,whether 9500 is right pricing or not, that with 9500 in dstv u get over 80 channels, african standard no doubt,
but with 6000 or thereabout, how many channels, whether those channels are of repute or not, do u get in hitv minus repeated epl matches?

when shall we learn to call a spade a spade?
if a non nigerian coy is offering options and varieties with some cost, even if there are issues in pricing,
would u rather patronise a nigerian coy that cares not about whats being offered at almost the same cost comparatively?
Does customer service have any connection with the origin and citizenship of the promoters of the consumer good
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:51pm On Jul 23, 2010
Kx:

Am i getting the wrong signal or something?

Is vulture being used here because dstv is an SA coy? pls educate me.
it is common knowledge,whether 9500 is right pricing or not, that with 9500 in dstv u get over 80 channels, african standard no doubt,
but with 6000 or thereabout, how many channels, whether those channels are of repute or not, do u get in hitv minus repeated epl matches?

when shall we learn to call a spade a spade?
if a non nigerian coy is offering options and varieties with some cost, even if there are issues in pricing,
would u rather patronise a nigerian coy that cares not about whats being offered at almost the same cost comparatively?
Does customer service have any connection with the origin and citizenship of the promoters of the consumer good
vulture means 'extortionists'. When nigeria paid off its loan to the world bank, a lot of vultures took notice. now they have come to set up shop at the source of the bounty.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by BUTONEDAY(m): 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2010
temmytanny:

Like i said TIME WILL TELL. whether DSTV or HITV show am , i go stil watch EPL even if them two no show am cos of legal battle. Aljazeera dey wait for me.

@ Temmytanny,
I thought Abu Dhabi has the EPL right in the East, having won it from Showsports thid year. Please check again.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 8:38pm On Jul 23, 2010
cripplswag:

Why do consumers make certain choices in a free market system?

What factors drive the consumers to make these choices?

Why do consumers strive for marginal utility?

What about the theory of indifference curves?

Why would someone decide what goods i spend MY money on, even when there is a close and better substitute?

Would you buy fake drugs or goods because of nationalism burning in your heart, when there is an original substitute even when it is coming from China?

Would you choose Solange, when you can have Beyonce? [size=3pt](wht d f#$k am i thinking?)[/size]

Jst finking out loud

Dis is not Microeconomics class. . . .

Now, I have a question for you. . . . . HiTV or DSTV, which has better programs?  grin

From watching HiTv in UK, nothings happening on that channel except for Ay Show which is shabbily produced.

As for Supersports, I always love watching that channel whenever Im in Africa. Their coverage of sport is better than any yeye Sky Sports we have in Europe, not to talk of HiTV.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by temmytanny(m): 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2010
Thanks BUTONEDAY,
When i mentioned Aljazeera, i was talking about the use of BIG 4meter dish to watch EPL. I never knew show time have lost the right to Abu dhabi but i believe with the agbami dish, i can stil watch the EPL.

The last may not have been heard about the drama. Tony subair, being a lawyer would want to take it legally since he had all paid for the first stipulated installment for the right. He only lost out through BANK GUARANTEE. We maynot watch EPL on either DSTV or HITV in August.I just feeel so

As for those making noise about dumping their HITV, dont make any mistake in doing so yet cos any thing can still happen before or during the EPL in August. HITV is owned by a Group of CABAL in the ruling party in naija, just using Tony Subair as runs man. They and not subair fought for the right 3years ago and they got it. they can stil influence it.

What if the Nigerian government deny DSTV the access to air the matches(just like Ghana is denying GLO free access to operate after paying and investing millions of dollars in the country)?.In naija, anything can happen

@ tatase, you have spoken well with no sentiment. Its people like you i love to read her opinion on nairaland and not some that are hear to kill their fatherland.
As for HITV, i stil fell for them but my mind keeps telling me they would get it back even if its not 100% or will EPl return their $40million just like that.

MY PEOPLE , TIME WILL DEFINATELY TELL. I would advice you people to wait till 2nd week in august before subcribing to any of the DTH(am talking to football lovers alone ooo)so that you wont waste your money.
But come, ooo where will you watch your UCL? is it not HITV?HITV has over 500,00 customers now and that may drop to 300,000 later but money go stil enter for them cos of UCL.

This is PRISON BREAK SEASON 6 or MAYBE 24 season 9.

make i sit don dey read people opinion. He dey SWEET?
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by radeniran(m): 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2010
HITV still has the right to air all the EPL matches but not on HD (High Definition) the right acquired by DSTV is only on HD and how many homes in Nigeria has DSTV HD decoder with the high cost of acquiring it. This is just demarketing strategies from DSTV to lure many HITV customers into buy their HD decoder.
It is high time we support Nigeria companies to grow and we have to put an end to transferring our wealth to South Africa like we are doing with MTN
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by obinna5000(m): 9:33pm On Jul 23, 2010
@radeniran
But from what I heard, DStv will show the EPL matches on both Standard and High Definitions.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Amalaaba: 10:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
Dear Nigerians, Please let us be a little smart in our criticism of Toyin Zubair. This would not have happened to a South African company in SA. South Africa is insulting us too much. I hope our government official's brain still contains solid matter not cotton wool; otherwise they would be coming up immediately with policies that will checkmate the near dominance of our economy by South African companies and their hostile attitude to Nigerians and Nigerian businesses. They now dominate our Telecommunications, Training, Banking, yet they deny Nigerian Companies from establishing operations in SA. Examples: CABLE ONE Fiber optic Link, GTB and many other banks were denied banking license. GLOBACOM was denied Telecommunications licence.

For the myopic friends who are happy about HITV demise, please don't complain of unemployment, capital flight, underdevelopment and all the signs of poor economy. See what MTN is doing to US. Every country protects its own. Period.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by kaypinchi(m): 10:48pm On Jul 23, 2010
Patriotism down the drain. embarassed
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 10:53pm On Jul 23, 2010
I couldn't really make any meaning from this.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by ntongha(m): 11:11pm On Jul 23, 2010
I don't know y both companies can't b decent enof 2 broadcast epl nd la liga 2 geda?all they want is 2 stress customer's earnings 2 d bone.Assumin Dstv had our interest in their minds,de shudn't av let Hitv av their chance at all.Any i'm goin 2 confirm dis gossip on www.hitv.com.ng
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 23, 2010
I wonder why some peeps here are bellyaching and griping about Hitv's (expected) demise. Nigerian business my foot; by sheer size and scale of operation, Dstv employs MORE Nigerians -directly and indirectly- here in Nigeria than hitv, the facts are there. And if you want to talk about capital flightand how the dstv whiz-kids take their profits to SA, thats pure bullocks! How does hitv or any other '100%' naija coy's profits improve my life? Isn't it to shine teeth everywhere driving Range vogue & GL 4matic around town forming Lagos big boy all over the place, on. . .isn't that what fools like toyin subair and his ilk do with turnover that should be re-invested. Reminds me of Peter Obafemi and how his senseless 'laulau' ran the barely nascent World Airways aground a few years ago. Now, i'd be daft to waste my sympathy on creeps like that.

The bitter truth is that we as Nigerians need to put our acts together and learn how to run big business. All this sentimental whining is beyond pathetic.

I'm more than happy that thd EPL is back to base; I'd gladly discard the fugly hitv decoder in the thrash can where it truly belongs.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by adconline(m): 11:47pm On Jul 23, 2010
Another  pointer to the fact most Naija companies are competively challenged  if subjected to international standards. This  sounds like Transcorp waiting to go under
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by dealordea(m): 2:15am On Jul 24, 2010
@all Poster, Dstv is the baba, Naa money dem use Jaa Hitv, 110million dollar bid to own the right of which HITV only provided 80% of the money,meanwile DSTV has a big money to offer immedaitely and you know what happen, They steal the right from the yeye company who think they could fool we Nigerians with their stupid porgrams, LOL
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by soloqy: 3:34am On Jul 24, 2010
suprted:

HiTV should have started small.  Check my old posts, I asked why anyone should pay (at the time 3500) for just football.  

Someone above said try going up against a multinational and yet over here your typical Wasim's Kebab Korner type shop does well even though there is McDonald's around the corner.  It's figuring out what works, it's offering services that the other people don't have, it's setting a price-point that allows you to be competitive and yet not bankrupt oneself.  

Had HiTV purchased a percentage of the games instead of full rights then they could have continued to grow, raised their market share slowly, raised their profit margins.  How are they expecting to break even?  to make back the 40 million a season they spent, they'd need 1 million subscribers (going on 150 naira to $1).  And that's without factoring the running costs of a business, the hardware, the staff, marketing etc etc.  

Great post there.

What was the point of a company that is just a fledgling in business in trying to get exclusive rights to the EPL if not to just point a finger to his former employees(yes he had something with DSTV).
What happened, should tell every other business person to be flexible in business matters. Mr Subair was not listening to the best advisers a business person could ever have, his customers. I got hitv the first week they launched and we were pioneers in the HITV thread where we initially tried to drum up support for an indigenous company. More still when we felt a messiah had come to deliver us from the perceived ills of DSTV.

We didnt know we were being tempted by wolves in sheep clothing. Why do I say this? Its extremely wicked to charge 6k for the nonsense hitv was putting out there. You only had saturday and sunday and maybe some wednesdays to enjoy hitv so why would any right thinking person charge 6k for that?

After they increased  fees so many of us swore never to subscribe to hitv and went for DSTV.

Just like some people here mentioned, we were baffled that HITV stuck with the 6k regime when it was clear it wasnt working. Why couldnt the management swallow their pride and take the fees down to the earlier fees and as such, get many more subscribers?

HITV was busy chasing viewing centers about and prosecuting CTL and even the boss at Multichoice for the Spanish La Liga rights infringement when they started. This seems to me as a company that has burnt its bridges so the option of trying to work something out with DSTV maybe a dead end.

What stopped HITV from calling all the smaller cable operators and giving them a reduced license fee to carry the EPL in different parts of the country? CTL was very strong in the south east and there are other small ones that do well in other parts. But no, Mr Subair was so engrossed in the exclusivity thing even when it was at an astronomically high price(they paid far too much for the first license while trying to outbid DSTV).

What is the way forward HITV/Subair? Have you guys looked towards the French League, German League, Dutch League , Portuguese League? These leagues are no where near the EPL license in costs so HITV can channel  funds and equipment towards getting these ones(nothing stops you from getting up to two or even three of them). Football is football in Nigeria and even when under 7s play a tournament, you would still see people who will go to watch. We know the follower-ship wont be as much as the EPL but the idea is to offer your current subscribers and would be subscribers an alternative.

Also, please please, build on your content. The three years DSTV didnt have EPL, they actually sold more decoders than any other. They packed their bouquets with channels and different things to watch its unbelievable. They were always thinking ahead. Because of the HITV blunder in the pricing regime, i slowly weaned myself of EPL and started enjoying DSTV without the EPL. This also shows that hitv can retain customers with other quality content.

For the people still using HITV, the viewing centers and sports clubs are your friend now. At least there is dual view and all the other different technologies that makes watching football on DSTV a delight.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by jokobaba: 7:10am On Jul 24, 2010
HiTv is just a mediocre organization whose lifeline was just the EPL; there are no other interesting stations. evertin was wrong about HiTV: packaging, number and quality of stations etc. lets look beyond patrotism and stop celebrating mediocrity.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 8:14am On Jul 24, 2010
whatever!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Borussia Dortmund UCL (2 - 1) On 14th September 2021 / Arsenal Vs PSV.Europa League (1 - 0) - Live / Chelsea Vs Aston Villa (0 - 1) On 24th September 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.