Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,740 members, 7,915,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 03:41 PM

Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! (3220 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Ajimobi Clashes With Journalists Over Questions On Unpaid Salaries / What Soldiers? Reporter Snaps Photos Of Tinubu's Front Gate, Surroundings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by wales(m): 6:04am On Jul 23, 2010
Ogbonaya Onovo, the Inspector General of Police, was among 186 Nigerians from different strata of the society who were honoured with the 2009 National Award by President Goodluck Jonathan.

But Mr. Onovo, who said he was quite happy at the honour done him, was not impressed with the question from NEXT about whether he thought it was justified for him to get such an award in the face of the rising crime and insecurity in the country.

The police boss, who refused to answer the query, said it was a stupid question meant to provoke him, rather than one “borne out of genuine journalistic curiosity.” He said members of the public should decide if he deserved the award or not.

“Answer it for yourself,” he said. “You are a member of the public. If I don’t deserve it, say so.”

When asked if considering the security concerns in the country, he thought he should be taking this award at this time, he retorted, “Answer it yourself. I can’t answer stupid questions, because insecurity is all over the world. There is no society where there is no crime. You can’t tell me of any society, if you know one, tell me. So, I think it is not a proper question and I will not answer it.

“You have come to provoke. You haven’t come to ask questions as journalists who want to know and who want to disseminate information,” adding, “Your question had spoilt my happy mood.”

However, the questions that so infuriated the usually amiable Mr. Onovo were the sort that reporters had asked all the other awardees.

The 186 recipients included Mike Akhigbe; Aloysius Katsina-Alu; and Joseph Wayas, who received the award of Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger,(GCON).

Others were the chief of staff to the president, Mike Oghiadomhe; the head of service of the federation, Stephen Oronsaye; Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; Niki Tobi; the emir of Gwandu, Mohammadu Ilyasu Bashar; the Shehu of Borno, Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-Kanemi; Ghali Umar Na’Abba; and Patricia Etteh, who all received the Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR) award.

Critical observations

Speaking at the four-hour ceremony, which was attended by families and well wishers of the awardees, Mr Jonathan said overcoming the challenges facing the country can only be achieved with the collective dedication and participation of all patriotic Nigerians.

“We must make honour-inspiring acts part of our national culture. The times call for men and women who are willing to live above primordial loyalties and commit their all to the general good,” he said.

“By reason of your decoration today, you have become national ambassadors of hope and agents of change. You have an abiding duty to this generation of Nigerians and our common posterity to always live up to the high standards to which you will be held,” he told the recipients.

Noting that the national honours are part of Nigeria’s national heritage which must be preserved, Mr. Jonathan promised that his administration will work to “raise the bar” so as to challenge Nigerians to strive harder for greater excellence in all fields of human endeavour.

The award had however come under criticisms, and a number of people have wondered if some recipients had not bought the awards, considering their antecedents.

Mr. Jonathan said at the occasion that the federal government noted the critical observations and will put such observations to good use in strengthening the prestige and integrity of the awards.

The Nigerian National Honours are a set of orders and decorations conferred upon Nigerians and friends of Nigeria every year. The awards were instituted by the National Honours Act No. 5 of 1964, during the First Republic, to honour people who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation.

Predators of the press

Mr. Onovo had undoubtedly led in the search and release of the four journalists who were kidnapped in the south-eastern part of the country recently, and for which the police was widely commended but also vilified for allowing kidnapping to thrive in the country.

Indeed, Mr. Onovo, who received the honour of Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR), was on May 2010, listed as one of the “40 predators of the press in the world” by the international rights group, Reporters without Borders, during its World Press Day celebration.

According to the group, the names on the list are “powerful, dangerous, violent, and above the law,” thus the nomenclature, “Predators of Press Freedom.”

The group had further blamed the Nigeria Police Force, led by Mr. Onovo, for making the country “one of the world’s most violent countries for journalists.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5597784-146/onovo_snaps_over_questions_about_his.csp

Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 23, 2010
“You have come to provoke. You haven’t come to ask questions as journalists who want to know and who want to disseminate information,” adding, “Your question had spoilt my happy mood.

Really?
I wish one of the politics here would say something like that, esp to a serious question like that.

Nigerian politicians and officials have neither shame nor integrity.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by wales(m): 6:38am On Jul 23, 2010
The journalist should go and ask other awardees if they deserve the award. Onovo is not the cause of crime in the country.The political class is resposible for the poverty and unemployment in the country and should be blamed for the recent rise in crimes.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 23, 2010
A simple question was asked: DO YOU THINK YOU DESERVE SUCH AWARD  in the face of the rising crime and insecurity in the country."

He could have professionally and politely find a way to answer the question, by sidetracking it. That's what politics is all about. It doesnt matter who the question was asked. . . what matters is the ability to maintain self-control and represent ones self in public.

Read his answer again and tell me if you sensed any professional atmosphere in it
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by naijaway(m): 7:11am On Jul 23, 2010
Ego and lack of criticism are major causes of failure. Onovo should have answered that question amicably and many more including hopeful / reassuring plans for the future henceforth.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by dustydee: 9:11am On Jul 23, 2010
Patricia Etteh?
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by oderemo(m): 9:21am On Jul 23, 2010
The journalist should go and ask other awardees if they deserve the award.[quote] Onovo is not the cause of crime in the country
.The political class is responsible for the poverty and unemployment in the country and should be blamed for the recent rise in crimes.[quote][/quote]
haba mr wale, onovo wasn't employed y.terda.
the man is at the top .what do you think his responsibilities are?
yes he might not be the cause but he is now to stop the rot.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by TMemos: 9:26am On Jul 23, 2010
The IG comes across as one who does not choose his words carefully.  Remember the Nuhu Ribadu case, his statements on the kidnapped journalists, etc? So it's right to have crime here because there is crime in other parts of the world? He should simply compare the crime rate when he came in with the current rate and see if he deserves the award or not.

wales:

The journalist should go and ask other awardees if they deserve the award. Onovo is not the cause of crime in the country.The political class is resposible for the poverty and unemployment in the country and should be blamed for the recent rise in crimes.

I think what we need is a solution to the problem.  In any case, every problem must have a source.  It's the solution that Onovo should strive to proffer and quit honourably if he's unable to fix the problem.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Okijajuju1(m): 9:29am On Jul 23, 2010
ONOVE deserve the award.

If he didnt warn those kidnappers to release the journalists, those fraudulent journalists would still be in the custody of the kidnappers.

Congrats Mr. Onovo.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by oderemo(m): 9:31am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^,
was that a joke? undecided
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Okijajuju1(m): 9:40am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^
Did you see a laughing smiley in that post?
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by oderemo(m): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2010
If he didnt warn those kidnappers to release the journalists
so his 24 hr altimatum did the trick?

, those fraudulent journalists would still be in the custody of the kidnappers.
fraudulent in what way, poven till guilty they say.
or we are now bound by heresay/conjectures.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by IbroYaya: 9:59am On Jul 23, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

A simple question was asked: DO YOU THINK YOU DESERVE SUCH AWARD  in the face of the rising crime and insecurity in the country."
This was how the question was put.

Considering the state of security concerns in the country do you think you should be taking this award at this time?
Onovo: Answer it yourself, I can’t answer stupid questions, because insecurity is all over the world.There is no society where there is no crime, tell me of any society, if you know one tell me, so I think it is not a proper question and I will not answer it. You have come to provoke me, you haven’t come to ask questions as journalists who want to know and who want to disseminate information.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/23/national-07-23-2010-003.htm

It was a rhetorical question. The guy was insinuating that Onovo does not deserve the award and I think that wasnt professional.
I agree with Onovo in this one, The journalist was only trying to provoke him by saying he doesn't deserve the award.
FOI doesn't mean you should ask question just provoke the listener.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by oderemo(m): 10:04am On Jul 23, 2010
The guy was insinuating that Onovo does not deserve the award and I think that wasnt professional
alhaji ibro, let cut to the chase now, do we; the service user think onovo deserve the award?
not in a mill. .yrs.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Okijajuju1(m): 10:04am On Jul 23, 2010
3 million naira in the trunk of the car belonging to journalists whose travel expenses were just 100,000Naira?? Negro Please.

On the Onovo threat issue, I was kidding. You should be able to see sacarsm when you read one. No person of the uniform in Nigeria deseres an award. Not the Police, Army, Navy, Airforce, Customs, Immigrations, Prisons, Civil Defense, Federal Road Safety Corp, none of em'.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by IbroYaya: 10:52am On Jul 23, 2010
ode remo:

alhaji ibro, let cut to the chase now, do we; the service user think onovo deserve the award?
not in a mill. .yrs.

I think he does deserve it!
You have to understand how this awards are given. At times they are given because of the office you've attain.
Example. GCON It is given automatically to a past president once he leaves his office.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by akinalabi(m): 11:14am On Jul 23, 2010
Okija_juju:

ONOVE deserve the award.

If he didnt warn those kidnappers to release the journalists, those fraudulent journalists would still be in the custody of the kidnappers.

Congrats Mr. Onovo.

ROTFL grin grin grin

Warn ke? grin
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by DisGuy: 11:50am On Jul 23, 2010
Obese pig

his people should be ashamed of him!! several years in the job you still cant avoid journalist question

was he not the same Obese officer that says he want proof Ribadu was in the country?

the pig should be ran over by a truck!
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by konkolok: 12:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
Does Onovo want us to remind him all the stupid remarks and actions he has taken since becoming IG? Has he forgotten about the Proof of picture evidence? Yeye man. Just collect your stupid award and go sidon.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Mkpotu(m): 1:03pm On Jul 23, 2010
Onovo is a force man not a politician and therefore should not be expected to twist words or lie in the name of being friendly with journalists.

Journalists can be annoying sometimes and can ask provoking questions. Obasanjo even as civilian President has severally replied journalists in worse replies than this, because he knows sometimes they can ask you questions in order to get you infuriated.

Come to think of it, Is it Onovo that is the cause of the crime? Ever since, i was a kid, what the society (the world at large)has been battling with is how to curb various crime, there has not been any society that has completely rid itself of crimes. Before Onovo entered, we have been battling with this kidnapping thing in the Niger Delta, people dared coming back home, the Jos crisis and other religious crisis has always been there, bank robbery has always been there, so I believe this is a phase and Nigerian govt will always do her best to curb the various crimes. I believe Onovo is doing his best to curtail the kidnapping thing and reduce the crime in Nigeria.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by otukpo(f): 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
on a very serious note, putting sentiment aside, the question the juornalist asked is un called for. It was meant to ridicule the Onovo and he understood it.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by otukpo(f): 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

It was a rhetorical question. The guy was insinuating that Onovo does not deserve the award and I think that wasnt professional.
I agree with Onovo in this one, The journalist was only trying to provoke him by saying he doesn't deserve the award.

Exactly.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 23, 2010
i thing is for sure. most of the information you get as concerns kidnapping and and everyother matter in nigeria is controlled. the police wont come out to tell u that they paid ransom to kidnappers as this will make them the laughing stock of the int'l community(not like they are'nt already). it is more convenient for them to say that the kidnappers collected 3mil from the journalists.by the way who travels with such cash in these days of online banking? everytime hostages are released, it is because"the police gave them a hot chase". negro puuleeez! and in this case, isnt it rather questionable that there was a police checkpoint about 400meters from the kidnap spot? onovo u are a public official and shd know how to manouver missiles when they are aimed at u. the juornalist asked a simple question which is reflective of the collective thinking of nigerians at this time. put up or shut up man!
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by DisGuy: 1:29pm On Jul 23, 2010
if the question was to provoke him well it obviously work for the piglet, these pigs dont like being questioned

Why cant onovo tell us how many people the police have successful prosecuted for kidnapping, how many people they have arrested since the jos crisis, how many police man have been prosecuted for killing civillians and how many have been dismissed for collecting bribes in broad daylight, THATS HOW TO JUSTIFY YOUR AWARD, but the fat pig who under SA police rule would have been sacked for being obese is getting upset oloshi trailer will jam him on his way home at a police checkpoint
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

it wasnt rhetoric. besides, has he not provoked nigerians more with his stupid reply? we expect better from our public officers. uncle ibro, nigerians are not muggs.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by agitator: 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2010
Mkpotu:

Come to think of it, Is it Onovo that is the cause of the crime? Ever since, i was a kid, what the society (the world at large)has been battling with is how to curb various crime, there has not been any society that has completely rid itself of crimes. Before Onovo entered, we have been battling with this kidnapping thing in the Niger Delta, people dared coming back home, the Jos crisis and other religious crisis has always been there, bank robbery has always been there, so I believe this is a phase and Nigerian govt will always do her best to curb the various crimes. I believe Onovo is doing his best to curtail the kidnapping thing and reduce the crime in Nigeria.

Award is given to achievers ,
No light - New Manager ensures constant power which was deemed impossible. 
Foreign powers toying with the country, somebody becoming Defense Minister, Foreign Minister story changes
etc,
etc,
etc, all deserve award

Not because somebody has attained a certain position.
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by sayso: 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2010
Onovo you no merit am full stop
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by vinmol: 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ogiadomhe of Edo? shocked shocked shocked
patricia Etteh shocked shocked shocked
Onovo ke!

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin was the award meant o Ridicule them?
undecided
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by obi123: 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ogbonaya Onovo the worlds biggest illiterate !!!!!! honestly he must be to react in that manner
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by agitator: 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
In Phc there is a toll gate in front of all the police stations.  Police station being on your street/road is like a curse because you pay more for transport fare and there is no benefits of protection as robbers easily rob people living on those streets/roads.

along some major roads, there is police check point every 200 meters interval (accurary +0.00001mm)
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by obi123: 2:14pm On Jul 23, 2010
and even if the journalist was provoking him, as an educated man of authority he should have answered in a more diplomatic way
Re: Onovo Snaps Over Questions About His Award ! by kaiosama(m): 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2010
Onovo is a public servant, he should have answered that question intelligently instead of showing his degree of annoyance to the journalist, though the question insinuates something but he would have handled it intelligently.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Islamic Cleric Urges For Federalism / 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ / See What They Have Turned Naija Police To [pix Attached] !!:::::::::::::::::::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.