Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,423 members, 7,881,549 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:31 PM

20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt (14180 Views)

Asa: Ogun State Community Where People Are Suffering — Man Cries Out / Names & Photos Of Nigerians Who Died Of Coronavirus In UK And USA Released By FG / Mental Disorders You Don't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by 15Ebisco: 6:08pm On Nov 12, 2018
The Federal Government has said an estimated 40 million Nigerians are believed to be suffering from mental disorders.

Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health, Abdulaziz Mashi Abdullahi, stated this on Monday at the ongoing mental health action committee and stakeholders workshop in Abuja.

Abdullahi blamed the country’s high burden of mental disorders to inadequate attention paid to mental illnesses, misconceptions and lack of awareness on the part of the Nigerian public.

He said more people will be disabled by psychological challenges than complications arising from HIV/AIDS, heart disease, accidents, and wars combined by the year 2020.

He identified ways of addressing the country’s mental health burden to include: fast-tracking the enactment of the Mental Health Act as well as the resuscitation of the national mental health action committee for the coordination of stakeholders’ activities on mental health and psychosocial supports in the country.

He said: “In Nigeria, an estimated 20%–30% of our populations are believed to suffer from mental disorders. This is a very significant number considering Nigeria has an estimated population of over 200 million.

“Unfortunately, the attention given to mental health disorders in Nigeria is inadequate. The level of awareness of the Nigerian public on mental health issues is also understandably poor and with lots of misconceptions.

“By 2020, it is estimated that common mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, and substance abuse-related disorders, will disable more people than complications arising from HIV/AIDS, heart disease, accidents, and wars combined! This is an astonishing statistic and possesses serious questions as to why mental health disorders are not given the needed attention that it currently receives.

“A policy for mental health services delivery was developed with several key provisions of the policy, including establishing a body at the Federal Ministry of Health to focus on Mental Health issues.

“Some of the pertinent issues is how to address and dialogue with stakeholders on the burden of mental health, intimate them on the Mental Health policy, identify ways to fast-track the enactment of the Mental Health Act and modalities for resuscitating the National mental health action committee for coordinating the activities of various stakeholders on mental health and Psychosocial supports in Nigeria.”

http://www.ebiscoo.com/16/40-million-nigerians-suffering-mental-disorders-%E2%80%93-nigerian-govt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by adonis89(m): 6:11pm On Nov 12, 2018
Including buhari, Yusuf, Aisha ,Zarah ,minus that one wey b lawyer. Na my crush b dat

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by conductor121: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2018
No wonder they don't have sense grin

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2018
No wonder uncle lai dey behave like that

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Shelumiel: 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2018
It is Buhari and his cabinet that have mental disorder

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by cool318(m): 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2018
chaiii, we are seriously finished in this country, President saying its Citizens are Lazy,his Minister saying that his Dynasty and generations have Mental disorder.
who do Nigeria dis Thing

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by MicheyJ1: 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2018
Now who says Nigeria is a zoo full of crazy animals.
Being ruled my a bloody cow. I spit on this nation

15 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Kenekingisback: 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2018
Buhari sef sad sad cry

8 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Kalapizim(m): 6:41pm On Nov 12, 2018
I agree, majority of them dress properly. If you think I am lying visit any Brt bustop in Lagos to comfirm.

4 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by bender79: 6:43pm On Nov 12, 2018
Lol mental illness is growing around the world rapidly not just Nigeria

12 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Aaronzy: 6:44pm On Nov 12, 2018
FFK comes to mind

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by youngeagle(m): 6:48pm On Nov 12, 2018
30 million are staying in Lagos, 200 in Aso Rock... while the remaining are zombies in Nairalabd

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Racoon(m): 6:51pm On Nov 12, 2018
shocked shocked When our healthcare facilities are so deplorable that even the mentally challenged patients will have nothing to do with them while the elites/leaders & all related to them are on a lifetime medical tourism overseas @ the expense of the government and the downtrodden masses.

Nigeria's health sector is simply sitting on a keg of gunpowder given the % of the affected population which will eventually passed the sequelae of their disturbance on the largely poor socioeconomic strata population.

7 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by psucc(m): 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2018
How will they not? Even that number is very very low. The right figure is 80m that lives in abject poverty.

How will they not suffer when the thought about the next meal, school fee, occupies over 18 of the 24hours of the day. Nigerians are driven mad by the burden of the present, the regrets of their action in 2015 and the fear of repeating the same mistake in 2019.

17 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Olalan(m): 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2018
This is quite a huge number.......but if you pay close attention to how people behave in Nigeria the result could be even more than that

8 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by simplycarro: 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2018
I completely want to believe this story judging by the number of mad people that thinks a Jubrin from Sudan lives in Aso Rock

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Magalan: 7:41pm On Nov 12, 2018
A nation loosing 11million jobs in 3 years sure calls for mental disorder..

13 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by imhere: 8:50am On Nov 13, 2018
How did they arrive at this figure? It is said that everybody exhibits certain degree of madness which one are they refering to. Judging from their conclusion it means that 1 out every 3 persons in Nigeria is mad.

1 Like

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by adadike(f): 10:08am On Nov 13, 2018
shocked

Nwamaikpe, no vex make I borrow your icon.
why did you say 40 million sir? why not 140 million? This Buhari govt is a trauma in itself. it is s miracle to survive this cruel ApC govt. from Mental disorder, I pray we don't enter coma or life support like our economy

4 Likes

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Sirheny007(m): 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2018
Calm down guys.
The other 80-70% are politicians.
Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by IamProdigy: 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2018
shocked

How wouldn't people suffer from mental disorder, is the disorderliness in the country not enough to increase that.

Na just God dy help us!

Meanwhile.

Get a pack of 200 business cards designed and delivered to you at an affordable sum...anywhere in Nigeria.

See signature for contact
Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by KingsleyBuubba(m): 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2018
Poverty

1 Like

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Inspectahdeck(m): 2:35pm On Nov 13, 2018
I totally agree

1 Like

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by BruncleZuma: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
I wonder why?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by maxiuc(m): 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
cheesy
Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by ShockingNews: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
shocked
Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Robbin7(m): 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
Who b dis again?

1 Like

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
Starting from Lie Moh'd and other politicians.
Skorskor de their heads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20-30% Of Nigerians Are Suffering Mental Disorders – Nigerian Govt by Originality007: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
na una papa dey kolo mental angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Increase In Weight? / Please I Need Urgent Help On My Penis O / 5 Reasons Why Body Scrub Treatment Is A Number One Beauty Regimen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.