Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,186 members, 7,880,697 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:05 AM

Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? (3337 Views)

Yuletide: FG Declares Dec. 24, 25, 28 Public Holidays / FG Declares April 3, 6 Public Holidays For Easter / FG Declares 3-day Public Holidays To Mark Christmas, New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by chuka2003(m): 2:36pm On Apr 11, 2007
Abeg i need answers urgently!!!! i heard from sources in Abuja that Thursday 12th and Friday 13th of April have been declared public holidays by Federal Govt in order to check election violence. Is this true Somebody, anybody who has answers should be respond urgently.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by kabby(m): 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2007
This must be a rumour, nothing but bloody rumour.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by ristic(f): 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2007
it is really
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by muyioye(m): 6:07pm On Apr 11, 2007
It is real. It was announced on NTA News of 4pm this evening
You better listen to 10pm Channels news
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by excel12(m): 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2007
Yes ,Mr Obasanjo has declared public holiday as a ploy to prevent the supreme court from sitting on pending court cases [Atiku's].
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by DewDrop(f): 6:36pm On Apr 11, 2007
"President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared Thursday and Friday as work-free days to enable people to travel in order to participate in gubernatorial and state House of Assembly elections,"

LMAO yea right!!!

It's definately to delay the Supreme Court hearing on whether Atiku can stand in next week's election.

It's a genius move!
Think what you may about Mr President but I know I'm so glad i don't have to work till Monday!
I wonder if we get the whole week off next week for the Presidential Elections? hmmmm

Gotta love blatant abuses of power for political gain!

cool
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by kabby(m): 8:51am On Apr 12, 2007
In fact I could not believe it until I heard it from MBI news last night.

Thanks to you all.

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by babasin(m): 9:48am On Apr 12, 2007
this is banana republic! This country is a joke!

when do you see Bush or Blair or Howard declaring public holiday from no where?

Do you know the cost to ordinary people?

Do you know the cost to Businesses? This is politically motivated.

This ability to declare public holiday should be removed from executive only NA after delibration with each states should be able to this.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by doshbass(m): 10:39am On Apr 12, 2007
one thing i don't understand about Nigeria is how come they did not declare these two days as holiday long time ago. I can't imagine another country saying tomorrow and next tomorrow is bank holiday without any notice.

I guess its only in naija things like this can happen
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by FBI477(m): 10:47am On Apr 12, 2007
this is f**king ridiculous!! shocked shocked i never saw this coming and i have no money. although, i haven't left the house yet, ikeja's as busy as ever. make una hold me ooo b4 i wound pesin 4 aso rock ooo!!

angry angry angry
IBB
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by cream2(m): 11:16am On Apr 12, 2007
I too think its bloody ridiculous but then again Naija is a young democracy, I say let the FG do whatever is reasonably necessary to ensure that the elections hold.

Everyone fails to remember that all the western countries were once in this position where anarchy ruled,
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by One: 11:42am On Apr 12, 2007
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by babasin(m): 11:49am On Apr 12, 2007
In a telephone chat with The Guardian, the governor, who is also the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Progressive Alliance (PPA), said: "Abia people are hardworking. We are traders and civil servants and do not want to incur and suffer unnecessary losses plus the dislocation of the economy already caused by the Obasanjo administration."

The governor added: "This holiday is unnecessary and political. It is not on the national calendar. It was unilaterally declared and imposed by one man."

Kalu said that Nigerians do not also need the break after the Easter and Islamic holidays, stressing that Abia State workers, traders and others in the state would disregard it and go about their normal duties.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by yemmydavid(m): 11:56am On Apr 12, 2007
obj is a master minder. he just did d pub. holiday tin so that d supreme court wont hear atikus case today.

God dey,

d pwer given to obj is too much
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by 2dye4(m): 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2007
its no rumor dat there's a public holiday and i really dnt giv a "U KNOW WHAT" whether its political or otherwise. I branched of @t a spot and got home really late thinkin i wnt go to wrk the next day only for me to get a text from my boss @ 4.00am telling me to come in. wht the hell is going on i wanna av som fun!
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by babasin(m): 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2007
@2dye4,
i really dnt giv a "U KNOW WHAT" whether its political or otherwise

then you asked:

wht the hell is going on i want to av som fun!

Question: are Nigerians so traumatized they cant even see how one-man screwing up there lives?

I could imagine what mess this would cause to people's life?

what about those in Hosiptal to be operated?

those who have debt to collect?

The business owner that have to pay interest back to bank?

The stock who cant sell or buy?

I expect all round condemnation of this and fully rejection but alas NIGERIANS will get what they deserve if nobody speak-up!

It is most irritating
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by shinystar(m): 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2007
I have always known Obasanjo is the worst thing that happened to modern Nigeria. How can a President unilaterally declare public holiday to satisfy his selfish agenda? I don't understand this at all. I think Nigeria deserves a better leader.

Can't wait to see the man leave on May 29.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by omon(m): 1:23pm On Apr 12, 2007
Why does everybody believe that PDP can rig the election and Atiku does not have the capacity to?, He must be stopped, Atiku is a menance to society
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by babasin(m): 1:58pm On Apr 12, 2007
@omon,
He must be stopped, Atiku is a menance to society

You are joking right?

what does this got to with Atiku?? OBJ is the evil here; destroying plans for ordinary Nigerians!!

How many people will die in hospital across the country today; no Doctor or no money from Bank or drug cause everyone is on unplanned holiday!
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by K2: 2:11pm On Apr 12, 2007
What kind of nonesense holiday is this after returning from a 4 day weekend? No wonder we are not developed. Running a country like a beer parlour.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by Kayus99(m): 3:13pm On Apr 12, 2007
I am not surprised at all. He is a soldier in 'sheep' clothing. It always a one way street , like a zombie.

Although good for employees but too bad for business owners especially after just coming from the easter break.

And the reason " two days for travel", does he not realize the person that is going to travel would have made arrangements ages ago rather than the night before.

I beg my brothers and sisters vote this pple out.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by queen2(f): 3:48pm On Apr 12, 2007
God, this people

is the public holiday just every April 12th and 13th or All thursdays n fridays until the election finishes?
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by kellorah: 3:58pm On Apr 12, 2007
yep
today n tomorrow
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by speedo(m): 4:58pm On Apr 12, 2007
Why does everybody believe that PDP can rig the election and Atiku does not have the capacity to?, He must be stopped, Atiku is a menance to s

I AGREE COMPLETELY,PEOPLE SHOULD STOP DECEIVING THEMSELVES.EVEN IF OBJ DID THIS TO STOP ATIKU THEN HE IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK.ATIKU IS A CRIMINAL AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT.DEMOCRACY MEANS DIFFENRENT THINGS TO DIFFENRENT COUNTRIES.GEORGE BUSH IS RULING THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH A STOLEN MANDATE.HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU SEE SHOUTING BLUE MURDER?, NONE.IF THE WHOLE IDEA IS TO STOP AN UNEDUCATED THIEF (SPELT ATIKU) FROM BECOMING PRESIDENT THEN SO BE IT.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by babasin(m): 5:08pm On Apr 12, 2007
@speedo,

You are surely not in tune.

This has been roundly condemned.

“The fact is that two days for people to prepare for an election is too much. You don’t have such frivolous declaration of public holidays in other countries. There is no way the work-free days will not have a negative effect on the organised private sector and by extension the economy of the country.”
MAN
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by Danoe(m): 5:58pm On Apr 12, 2007
Now that Thursday 12th and friday 13th April have been declared as public holidays, Let all the youth support INEC to conduct a peaceful, free and very fair election come saturday April 14th 2007 by saying NO!! to juvenile delinquency such as Violence, Thuggery, political assasins and rigging. But lets say yes to Excellence!!!!
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by kellorah: 5:59pm On Apr 12, 2007
wot about atiku's trial?
will he be allowed to contest?
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by Danmasani(m): 6:26pm On Apr 12, 2007
To suddenly public holidays when nothing desperate calls for it is one of the most disgusting political stunt this administration can pull. To pull the plugs on the opposition at the eve of a major election in the midst of cries and counter-cries from parties, observers, the international community and the Nigerian public is a disaster the OBJ government fosters. How desperate can OBJ be to stop Atiku? How important is Atiku on the ballot paper? Not important at all. I keep saying Atiku does not stand a chance of winnning elections due in a week so all efforts to stop him are simply futile. The man will not win even in Adamawa state. I know that because of the disenchantment he has down there.
Therefore to suddenly declare holidays when people are suffering and trying to eke out a living from the failed system we have is the most disgraceful thing a dejected and defilied government OBJ runs can do.

OBJ can do whatever he wants with the powers granted him by the constitution. he should know that HE IS NOT GOD, CANNOT PLAY GOD AND THAT GOD IS WATCHING EVERY STUNT HE PULLS.. I pray that all those who make Nigerians suffer because of the fraudulent and selfish acts will one day find justice that will be painfull and last long!
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by One: 6:42pm On Apr 12, 2007
Danmasani:

he should know that HE IS NOT GOD, CANNOT PLAY GOD AND THAT GOD IS WATCHING EVERY STUNT HE PULLS..

Unfortunately, politicians dont care about God even though they swear by the holy book.
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by FBI477(m): 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2007
did any lagosian see PM News this evening? the political thuggery from the PDP is just getting worse. i even saw Koro on awolowo way in ikeja with his thug supporters. good thing lagos didn't accept the holiday.

i must warn you all not to go out and vote on saturday. let them bring the ballot boxes to our various homes and those that registered can vote. as for me sha, i am going to the safest place to be; The Barracks.

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by Rhodalyn(f): 6:45pm On Apr 12, 2007
hey!! Is that u IBB Black-Briggs
Re: Are Thursday April 12 & Friday April 13 Public Holidays? by FBI477(m): 6:47pm On Apr 12, 2007
@One

very true. even Koro who's a muslim was at the Redemption Camp last friday at the vigil to "campaign". plus, they still know they cannot survive by their mortal selves without the backing of otumokpo. even Idi Amin believed in Allah and still carried out rituals. truth is, when you're bad, you never feel safe without spiritual protection from a diety.

(1) (2) (Reply)

P D M On The March Again: Atiku/soludo In Secret Meeting / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Is My Mentor / Femi Fani-kayode Supported Muslim/muslim Candidate (pic Evidence) - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.