Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:09 AM

Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? (992 Views)

Coding For D Gurus:#challange / Tech Gurus Help Me. / New To Python, Gurus Please Help Solve These Challenges. Thanks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by ThaThinka: 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2018
Hello, everyone. Sorry, this is a long one.

I have interest in having an advanced IT skill, but I don't know which to go for. By advanced, I even consider graphics design that way, although I know gurus here may not see it that way.

I have a degree in Economics. I read from someone, probably here, sometime ago that someone like me could go for web design and development.

But a problem I have with that is that I don't think I will do very well designing things. My drawing ability isn't good, if that's a possible yardstick.

I think my strong point is writing. I also believe I can be meticulous - perhaps, rather excessively - when doing things.

What would experienced persons in the house advise I learn considering the above? Also note that I am in my early 30s, if that matters.

I am especially interested in opinions on what to study because I am considering registering at a training centre. I don't want to waste my money.

I have laptops for self-study. But that doesn't seem ideal for me without a stimulus, which I think registering at a training centre may be.

I have downloaded different materials for months, but I have not done serious study. I have been having misgivings whether I'm a perfect fit for what I had in mind (programming). In fact, I'm just confused about what to focus on.

Please guide me. Thanks.
Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by pront0(m): 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2018
Web dev is the way to go. It's where the money is, and it's easy to grasp. Learn python. Python is pretty much ubiquitous and portable, everyone uses python, nowadays. Also, programming isn't about studying, per se, it's more about practice.
Start by learning:

HTML
CSS
JAVASCRIPT
Python (flask/django)

HTML and CSS is pretty easy, you'll master the 'syntax' in couple of hours. Javascript can be a bit tricky. If you know simple algebra, you won't have a problem. Let me know what you need, I'll try to be helpful.

2 Likes

Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by nepapole(m): 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2018
Op, I am in your shoes. Studied economics as well and will like to switch to IT but don't know how to go about it. Thanks for opening this thread . I hope the gurus will come to our aid.
Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by femmix112(m): 6:36pm On Nov 14, 2018
Read it cus it took me alot to type

1 well see you programming has nothin to do with age

2 you can learn programming yourself if you have the materials but going to a training center will be good

3 programming is like sport you have to practise it to be good you just cant be learnin it by readin alone you must practise

4 you must be determined becus your first program may contain error you av to find the error then correct it wic i knw you ar gonna see alot as you ar fresher but with time you will see that ur code will improve after several practise i.e you will rarely make error but at first it is hard but wth time u will get to knw it better

5 let me just say many aspiring programmers stop learn at the begining cus of bug dat is error in ur code it sumhow fustratin at the begining but witn determination u will enjoy it when u ar good

6 pick a project what many people fail to understand is dat programming language is broad u cant learn it all u just learn wat u need to do sumteens pick a project lyk a website dat school use to post result and u must av a student username and password before u see dat particular studnt result or any other project u tnk is nice u will see dat while wrytin code for such project u will see dat what u av read is notin until u stat wrytin a real code for it

and also designing website is not really drawin is just knwin sum propertise like lenght, widht, color, size, border etc

so define the stuff like

lenght:size 15cm
color:blue

the above property is gonna showtin with lenght 15cm and color blue like dat sha

like dat

but u dnt av to knw all function jus knw aw a programmin language arrange tins then u can google any other tin jus knw the basic of dat particular language

and always read code of other people online it givs u idea on what u want to design

although i av sumone who coaches me but believe me most of what i knw i learnt dem frm my own personal practise

once again at first it may be tough but with constant practise u will see dat ur code will get better

DO NOT COPY ANY CODE U DNT KNW WHAT iT THOSE try to understand b4 u add it to ur program cus of so malicious code

read quote from great coders it helps

lyk what i one i heard when a person said he has many years coding experience but he and his frnds still browse things online so no one is perfect

lastly am not a guru

an welcome to the family of coders
we are smart thnkers
we rock

1 Like

Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by Kamxin(m): 7:49pm On Nov 14, 2018
I think you need ICT skills that relate to the work you are doing or intend to do. Web will help you when it comes to commerce and marketing

1 Like

Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by Kamxin(m): 7:52pm On Nov 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

I have interest in having an advanced IT skill, but I don't know which to go for. By advanced, I even consider graphics design that way, although I know gurus here may not see it that way.

I have a degree in Economics. I read from someone, probably here, sometime ago that someone like me could go for web design and development.

But a problem I have with that is that I don't think I will do very well designing things. My drawing ability isn't good, if that's a possible yardstick.

I think my strong point is writing. I also believe I can be meticulous - perhaps, rather excessively - when doing things.

What would experienced persons in the house advise I learn considering the above? Also note that I am in my early 30s, if that matters.

I am especially interested in opinions on what to study because I am considering registering at a training centre. I don't want to waste my money.

I have laptops for self-study. But that doesn't seem ideal for me without a stimulus, which I think registering at a training centre may be.

I have downloaded different materials for months, but I have not done serious study. I have been having misgivings whether I'm a perfect fit for what I had in mind (programming). In fact, I'm just confused about what to focus on.

Please guide me. Thanks.

From your ability to write you can have a website and manage it efficiently content-wise, using your content as selling point.

There is a difference between web design and web development. The desigh is just one part of web development. The desigh can be made by someone who understand desigh and good at web aesthetics, taking instruction from clients that need something beautiful, working with tools like photoshop, stylesheet , and scripts to achieve this purpose. A designer can use a content management system CMS like Wordpress, Joomla, to build a complete website because it have everything and it is easy to learn and use. But the functions are limited as he have to live on existing functionalities in the CMS.

While web development combines the desigh, the case study, the feasibility study, the data flow analysis and design, the coding, the testing, the hosting, the networking and the final implementation in the field it is needed. And even reengineering it when it need more capabilities to be added to it or improve the existing system.

So the ball is always in your court pick what you want.

1 Like

Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by Ikennablue(m): 8:11pm On Nov 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

Please guide me. Thanks.
if you stay in Abuja and you are genuinely interested in learning IT. I can teach you at your own convenient time. And i guarantee you in just a month, you will be surprised at what you have achieved. I will be teaching you web design and android app development. 08121148673
Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by ThaThinka: 5:44pm On Nov 15, 2018
Thank you all for responding. I appreciate. I had to wait until a time I'll be better able to read and assimilate the information shared.

From all you've shared, I can pick out that regular practice is key to being good. I think structured learning is important for that to be possible, which is why I'm considering registering at a training centre.

As for what to learn, I am leaning towards the suggestions by pront0. Or does anyone think that might not be so great for me?
Re: Gurus, What Can I Do In IT, Please? by Kamxin(m): 6:36am On Nov 16, 2018
ThaThinka:
Thank you all for responding. I appreciate. I had to wait until a time I'll be better able to read and assimilate the information shared.

From all you've shared, I can pick out that regular practice is key to being good. I think structured learning is important for that to be possible, which is why I'm considering registering at a training centre.

As for what to learn, I am leaning towards the suggestions by pront0. Or does anyone think that might not be so great for me?

You can hit me if you are in Lagos on 08027886496

(1) (Reply)

Apple To Pay Teenager Who Found Facetime Bug / Interested In Learning Programming Enter Here / Python �� Beginners And Experts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.