Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,272 members, 7,923,287 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 10:22 PM

₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus (677 Views)

Ugwuanyi Commences Road Maintenance In Enugu Metropolis / Governor Ugwuanyi Imposes 24-hour Curfew In Enugu Metropolis / COVID-19: Fire Service Fumigates Enugu Metropolis, Environs (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2018
Drivers and motorists are faced daily with unlawful extortion by the men of the Nigerian Police Force.

Drivers and Keke riders and forced to pay the force men of the Nigerian police force at different road blocks and checkpoint mounted for such purpose.

Here in Enugu city, it has become a do or die affair and motorists have taken it as part of their daily routine activities.

Policemen at checkpoints don't request for papers anymore, you would observe with disgust how they will stop stop vehicles causing traffick gridlocks, in the morning and evening collectin ₦50 notes from drivers, no one is spared except you have a green plate number or with latest brands SUVs with tinted glass.

I witness these occurrence on daily basis, here are the locations I've witnessed such.

1. Opposite Oando Filling Station, (New market), Enugu-Onitsha ExpressWay, Enugu state. (5:00pm-8:30pm)

2. Opposite Enugu North local Government Secretariat, Enugu state.(5:00pm -8:30pm)

3. Prisons round about, Enugu state.(5:30pm -9:00pm)

4. Opposite Community Secondary School, Iva valley, Along Enugu-Onitsh Express Way (6:00Am-9:00Am)

5. Ogbodogwu, Before Phase 6 Junction. (6:00Am-9:00Am, 4:00Pm-6:30pm)

6:All Saints Bustop, Before Polo Park by Shoprite (6:00pm:10:00pm)

These and many more are locations I've personally witnessed police unlawful extortion of Motorists within Enugu city.

If you regularly ply this roads, you would notice this ugly trend amongst policemen,

1. Threaten Motorists: they will threaten motorist,(especially keke riders), to delay them for 1hour if they dont cooperate with their demand. You would hear them loud and clear saying this. To avoid this unnecessary delay that could lead to the discharge of their already boarded passengers itching to get home after a stressful day's work, would just pass a ₦50 note onto the out stretched hands of a policeman who would scrutinize the money to be sure its the supposed amount.

Those who confront them with complete vehicles papers would be delayed and made to lose their passengers while those who may not even possess papers at all would ply the comfortably with just ₦50.

2. Policemen now offer "change" to motorists: Yea, they give change those with higher denominations, if you have just a ₦1000 naira note, just give it to them and they would gladly give you ₦950 naira in smaller denomination.
They do this with such contempt that you an outsider who just stepped into the country would believe its a norm to offer $$$ to the policemen

3: They dont search except you dont pay : if you have a human skull in your boot, just give out ₦50 and you are free to go, no checking of papers and Irregularities. If you dont pay, all passengers aboard in your vehicle would be searches thoroughly, if nothing incriminating is found, they will just delay you asking unnecessary and annoying questions like ; your paper will expired next month, why has it not be renewed? Etc

3. They will break your windscreen, side mirror, head lamp or rear lights : If you want to form "maja" by slowing and booming off, almost immediately to avoid offering their stipend, sorry for you,l. An officer in infront will destroy any part of your vehicle in reach.

All these are done to compell drivers to pay without delay .

This is stealing

Say no to bribe.

[url=https://thehorizonreport./2018/11/16/%e2%82%a650-the-official-boodle-of-the-npf-enugu-metropolis-in-focus/] CLICK HERE TO VIEW SOURCE [/url]
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by MXrep: 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2018
These things don't happen in the north
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 12:55pm On Nov 16, 2018
Nwamaikpe
AutoReportNG
Autojosh
whats your say on this
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by AutoReportNG: 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2018
Emperorempower:
Nwa.maikpe
AutoReportNG
Auto.josh
whats your say on this

A picture or video would have done justice to this story. If the police want to investigate, they will ask for proof. This is not to say your story is false but we live in a world where a picture says thousand of words.

Regards
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2018
AutoReportNG:

A picture or video would have done justice to this story. If the police want to investigate, they will ask for proof. This is not to say your story is false but we live in a world where a picture says thousand of words.

Regards

You are right but getting picture is not as easy as it looks, except you have a spy camera
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 4:07pm On Nov 16, 2018

Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by NwaAmaikpe: 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2018
shocked

It hurts to hear that this debauchery has reached my dear 042.
Thanks for this information.
We will investigate on this and whoever found wanting shall be dealt with.

Thanks once again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by NwaAmaikpe: 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2018
shocked

It hurts to hear that this debauchery has reached my dear 042.
Thanks for this information.
We will investigate on this and whoever found wanting shall be dealt with.

Thanks once again.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Laju1234: 11:22pm On Nov 16, 2018
It's sad that nothing has been done to address this trend all over Nigeria. Even despite all the public outcry, the NPF is still transmitting the transmission of the bribe.

I hope I made sense grin
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 9:49am On Nov 17, 2018
It's sad that this was moved to front page,

Mods we need more audience

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Sirheny007(m): 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
It is even worse in Imo State.
There are at least 12 police extortion posts on the Owerri-Orlu road only.
The most audacious is a lone Army post halfway before Umuaka.
The amount of money those guys make daily, onu m apughi ikwu!
Even if you come with $1m, they'd still find change for you.

The disquieting thing is almost 3/4 or these extortionists are from the North and I hear these things dont happen in the north.
The Igbos on the other hand encourage it as they dont joke with their businesses..so they hardly protest it. hence, it has become a tradition.

The other time, i tried to protest whereupon the driver told me point blank to shut up.
What would it profit me if because of N50, i lose N10,000?
And he was right. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by Emperorempower(m): 12:23pm On Nov 17, 2018
Sirheny007:
It is even worse in Imo State.
There are at least 12 police extortion posts on the Owerri/Orlu road only.
The most audacious is a lone Army post halfway before Umuaka.
The amount of money those guys make daily, onu m apughi ikwu!
Even if you come with $1m, they'd still find change for you.

The disquieting thing is almost 3/4 or these extortionists are from the North and I hear these things dont happen in the north.
The Igbos on the other hand encourage it as they dont joke with their businesses..so they hardly protest it. hence, it has become a tradition.

The other time i tried to protest whereupon the driver told me point blank to shut up.
What would it profit me if because of N50, i lose N10,000?
And he was right. undecided

Its a pity.

Ngeneukwu
What do you have to say
Re: ₦50; The Official Boodle Of The NPF: Enugu Metropolis In Focus by nijabazaar: 12:57pm On Nov 17, 2018
A lot of things to regret being a Nigerian....sometimes, i wish i could stay off the country. Its not just Buhari, all nigerian institutions are as insanely weak/corrupt as ass wipes

(1) (Reply)

Deputy Governor Of Imo State Floor Governor Okorocha Again? / Jubril Al-sudani, The Buhari Joke That Has Gone Too Far / 2019: Obasanjo Shifts Political Gear To Neutral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.