Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,809 members, 7,915,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:26 PM

Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping (3435 Views)

Bolu Okupe, Doyin Okupe's Hot Son, A Manchester Based Student / Police To Invite The Speaker Over The Thursday's National Assembly Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by canuck(m): 4:41am On Jul 26, 2010
Jonathan to Invite Finland-based Student to Help Fight Insecurity
By Paul Ohia, 07.26.2010

A Finland based student, Dipo Daramola and his colleagues may be on his way to bag a top assignment at the presidency Following a suggestion made on President Goodluck Jonathan’s Facebook status on the way to fight insecurity and kidnapping through technology as the president has promised to invite him for consultation.

The student’s interface with the president commenced when he responded to Jonathan’s expression of his administration’s wish to deploy technology to combat the menace of kidnapping following the release of four kidnapped Nigerian journalists, Mr. Wahab Oba, Chairman of the Lagos chapter of Nigeria Union Of Journalists, Adolphus Okonkwo, the union’s secretary, Sylvester Okereke , Sola Oyeyipo and their driver a fortnight ago.

The president had stated on his status: “I am pleased with and welcome the release of the four journalists who were kidnapped in Abia State . I join millions of Nigerians to felicitate with their families. Kidnapping, armed robbery and other sundry crimes are a result of the erosion of our traditional values in addition to economic difficulties.”

Jonathan said Nigerians have no choice but to revive their value system and rebuild the economy adding that he has directed the speedy intensification the deployment of technology based infrastructure that will help unmask these individuals and their sponsors.

Daramola, then responded to this posting by revealing that he and other Nigerian colleagues at Laurea University of Applied Sciences in Finland are currently involved in a project called The GPS gate, GPS trace, Google Maps on a mobile device to trace the location of the mobile device. (GSM Tracker).

“I think this project will help a lot in building the Nigeria Technology system section towards the VISION 2020.” Daramola stated thereby eliciting an assurance from the president that someone from his office will soon reach out to him.
“ I am proud of the work he is using his intellect to achieve. Dipo, Someone from my office will be in contact with you to explore the possibilities of deploying this technology for use by our security agencies.” Jonathan wrote.

When THISDAY contacted him, an elated Daramola said that he has just finished talking to his research manager explaining further that the GPS gate, GPS trace, Google Maps on a mobile device are meant to trace the location of the mobile device.
He revealed that the other Nigerians on his team are, Adewale Adeyemo, Robert E Guinness and Oladeji Ikuesan all level two students of the same University.

He said their project managers are from United States and Finland adding that the project will examine Saterisk; the risks associated with satellite positioning technical, legal and use of connection viewpoints.
“The Saterisk project's goal is to produce a comprehensive inventory of satellite positioning, the risks of present and future. Another key objective of the project is to create a new hardware, services and training innovations.” he said.

SOURCE: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=179165
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by canuck(m): 4:45am On Jul 26, 2010
Jonathan LOVES Facebook big time!

Kidnapping is only a symptom (yes, a horrible one) - JEG should get off the Internet and tackle more fundamental problems of corruption, power, poverty, unemployment, etc.

By all means treat eczema, but devote more resources to battle leprosy that is eating you up alive?!
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:45am On Jul 26, 2010
And I thought "Seeking end to Middle East Crisis" was the last straw.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by koruji(m): 5:00am On Jul 26, 2010
I just hope President GJ realizes the limits of the internent, especially when you are sitting at the top of a country's rulership. Remember the radio interview scam Sarah Palin fell for during the 2008 campaigns - and that was in the USA. It won't be funny if our president falls for a 419 scam with this level of enthusiam for facebook cheesy

Ileke-IdI:

And I thought "Seeking end to Middle East Crisis" was the last straw.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:04am On Jul 26, 2010
koruji:

I just hope President GJ realizes the limits of the internent, especially when you are sitting at the top of a country's rulership. Remember the radio interview scam Sarah Palin fell for during the 2008 campaigns - and that was in the USA. It won't be funny if our president falls for a 419 scam with this level of enthusiam for facebook cheesy

grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by canuck(m): 5:19am On Jul 26, 2010
koruji:

Too late! Presido GJ fell for it already! He's hiring a STUDENT to use GSM Tracker. . .What's new about that? Am I missing something?

This is a slap on the face of countless unemployed IT and engineering graduates in Nigeria!
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Becomrich0: 5:25am On Jul 26, 2010
Joanthan should stop to use facebook. for  technology reason

Jonathan and  nigerian should use http://.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Justcash(m): 5:59am On Jul 26, 2010
canuck:

Too late! Presido GJ fell for it already! He's hiring a STUDENT to use GSM Tracker. . .What's new about that? Am I missing something?

This is a slap on the face of countless unemployed IT and engineering graduates in Nigeria!

When you dint make a proposal to him, how do you expect him to find u? Bring out a modern proposal and present, let's see if he will not invite you. Don't just sit at home and call this a scam, when a Nigerian youth made an effort to be heard.

Yes! GSM Tracker is not new, but at least an effort is being made by the government to ensure it is used to solve a disturbing situation. This is good because it is giving the Nigerian youths a sense of belonging.

canuck:

Jonathan LOVES Facebook big time!

Kidnapping is only a symptom (yes, a horrible one) - JEG should get off the Internet and tackle more fundamental problems of corruption, power, poverty, unemployment, etc.

By all means treat eczema, but devote more resources to battle leprosy that is eating you up alive?!

Your statement in bold is very ironic and hypocritical.

Would you prefer that he doesnt tackle the issue at all? Going by what you are saying, our past leaders that refused to tackle even the symptoms were better than GEJ. Does it seem to you like he is not making some effort to tackle the problems that you mentioned? Since you know better, why not propose your way of tackling the issues so that he can call you to come and apply it?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 26, 2010
Becomrich0:

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by philip0906(m): 7:27am On Jul 26, 2010
Hope the kidnappers won't use d boy as exhibit grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by texazzpete(m): 8:05am On Jul 26, 2010
Great idea. Pity it's entirely useless for the 90% of Nigerians whose phones don't have a GPS chip in it.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by onyengbu1(m): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2010
Becomrich0:

Seconded! grin grin grin

Again I wonder why those guys wont integrate Becomerich in their project since they it involves Google map. cool
texazzpete:

Great idea. Pity it's entirely useless for the 90% of Nigerians whose phones don't have a GPS chip in it.

That is what makes this project different from normal GSM-GPS tracking, the phones doesnt have to have GPS chips. I believe it employs the same technology that GSM operators uses in displaying your locations at some places on your phones.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2010
GSM Tracker? I don't get this. Aren't the communication companies supposed to be handling this?

onye_ngbu:

That is what makes this project different from normal GSM-GPS tracking, the phones doesnt have to have GPS chips. I believe it employs the same technology that GSM operators uses in displaying your locations at some places on your phones.

What?  Many GSM operators have to subscribe to telecom company services to enable them ability to work GPS. You can't just connect arbitrarily to satellites controlled and owned by, yes, telecomms companies.
This ought to be the telecoms companies working this problem out for all GSM subscribers. GSM is not some sort of rubber band tech you tie to your phone and it automatically works. The phone company has to enable that or you subscribe to some service mostly from a telecomms company out there to get it.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2010
An ill thought out political stunt

This is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Adonike(m): 3:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
It
is
a
welcomed
development.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2010
Some people here are jealous of an ordinary Nigerian, Dipo Daramola for getting the presido's ear from the street.

This is the sort of thing that will take Nigeria forward. Who ever heard of a President looking out for talented Nigerians in the past?
Jonathan is proving to be the sort of man that will bring development to this country. There are many more talented Nigerians waiting to be fished out. If you have a positive proposal, there is a listening ear in our President!
[size=14pt]Abeg! Uncle Joe carry go!!!!![/size]
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by BlackRevo: 4:06pm On Jul 26, 2010
Let me invite the student in question to partiipate in this thread, seems like his attention is needed here.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Jul 26, 2010
That would be awesome @Black_revo. Would like to know what exactly he proposed cause I am reading this and wondering why Bukola Saraki made more sense on this issue yet we are not going with that.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
Mtn,bhairtel,etisalat,glo,multi-links,and so many other communication firm that may help out are there. . . .and our clueless president is settling for international students to help out.instead of him to face his work,he's busy facebooking.someone should berra advise him to go for evening classes on leadership and governance,his blunders are becoming too unbearable.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That would be awesome @Black_revo. Would like to know what exactly he proposed cause I am reading this and wondering why Bukola Saraki made more sense on this issue yet we are not going with that.

I thought NCC is still in the process of registering our sim cards.

Beaf:

Some people here are jealous of an ordinary Nigerian, Dipo Daramola for getting the presido's ear from the street.

This is the sort of thing that will take Nigeria forward. Who ever heard of a President looking out for talented Nigerians in the past?
Jonathan is proving to be the sort of man that will bring development to this country. There are many more talented Nigerians waiting to be fished out. If you have a positive proposal, there is a listening ear in our President!
[size=14pt]Abeg! Uncle Joe carry go!!!!![/size]

Talent? to come and re-invent an already existing technology?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Jul 26, 2010
Why exactly is the government not demanding these telecomms industries do more on this issue? I mean it is not like the technology is new or that it is expensive. The best Government can do here is partner with them to cut cost of moving us(the whole nation) over to more advanced and trackable system.

mikeansy:

I thought NCC is still in the process of registering our sim cards.

I thought his idea included registeration to enhance tracking? Or did I get that suggestion wrong?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by texazzpete(m): 4:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
onye_ngbu:

The name of the project is called GPS Gate/GPS Trace.

With the Term 'GPS' used liberally in the name, do you really need someone on the Internet to tell you that it requires dedicated GPS chips?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why exactly is the government not demanding these telecomms industries do more on this issue? I mean it is not like the technology is new or that it is expensive. The best Government can do here is partner with them to cut cost of moving us(the whole nation) over to more advanced and trackable system.

I thought his idea included registeration to enhance tracking? Or did I get that suggestion wrong?

Exactly!!!

They have not concluded the process of that registration. So I really don't know what the role of this boy will be. If he is coming to understudy the system and learn on the job so as to profer solutions in future and advice Government. Then Fair enough.

But if he is coming to invent a solution. Then this is a pure joke.

The technology to track mobile phones already exists. Government just needs to partner the companies involved in the trade.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

. . .
Talent? to come and re-invent an already existing technology?

mikeansy:

Exactly!!!

They have not concluded the process of that registration. So I really don't know what the role of this boy will be. If he is coming to understudy the system and learn on the job so as to profer solutions in future and advice Government. Then Fair enough.

But if he is coming to invent a solution. Then this is a pure joke.

The technology to track mobile phones already exists. Government just needs to partner the companies involved in the trade.

Never make assumptions or claim all knowledge. Lets know what the boy has proposed in detail before rushing to conclusions; something in the proposal has deeply interested the presidency. Unfortunately, as goes with such territory, it will not be made public.

It is obvious that the boy is a genius, so lets give him his due.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 4:57pm On Jul 26, 2010
texazzpete:

The name of the project is called GPS Gate/GPS Trace.

With the Term 'GPS' used liberally in the name, do you really need someone on the Internet to tell you that it requires dedicated GPS chips?

Where did you get that? shocked

Daramola, then responded to this posting by revealing that he and other Nigerian colleagues at Laurea University of Applied Sciences in Finland are currently involved in a project called The GPS gate, GPS trace, Google Maps on a mobile device to trace the location of the mobile device. (GSM Tracker).

He is only talking about his experience above; he has definitely not said his project would be based on GSM angry. Neither is there enough info to conclude that his tracking will be by GSM. It is the mapping (GIS) that should be of more importance; phones can also be tracked by triangulation from base stations, it does not have to be GSM.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 26, 2010
this is looking like the sort of ogboju 'computer engineers' in pc village pull on hapless computer illiterates

y'all better start preparing one page proposal  solutions to naija's problems to post on fb  - since johnny seems to spend more time on facebook than on the actual biz of running the country - some of us might hit it big and become certified johnny bootlickers
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
The issue here is not how much the guy knows

The issue here is what tickles our Government.

The basic existing method to track phones have not been explored yet. That tells me we have a dumb Government and this also brings into questions what they (the Government) based their judgement on.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Beaf: 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

The issue here is not how much the guy knows

The issue here is what tickles our Government.

The basic existing method to track phones have not been explored yet. That tells me we have a dumb Government and this also brings into questions what they (the Government) based their judgement on.

How do you know?
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2010
http://saterisk.com/en/?Saterisk-project

Companies and government use satellite navigation and tracking technology increasingly to maintain and improve efficiency of their services. The satellite navigation and tracking services can also be used to improve security and safety of property and personnel. But does the satellite navigation and tracking involve risks? That is the question that the Saterisk-project seeks answer to. Saterisk is a joint project of Laurea university of applied sciences and the University of Lapland. The main funder of the project is Tekes. The project also involves several companies and other partners using satellite navigation systems. The Saterisk-project has been started in 2008 and it will continue till august 2011. Saterisk-project analyses risks and requirements of satellite navigation from the following points of view

The main objective of the Saterisk-project is to yield extensive amount of information about the present and the future risks of satellite navigation and tracking systems. The other main objective of the project is to create new application, equipment, service and education innovations.

more materials that can be perused

http://www.wseas.us/e-library/transactions/systems/2010/89-288.pdf

WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on SYSTEMS
by J. Viitanen, M. Happonen, P. Patama & J. Rajamäki
European integration has increased the transport of illegal goods and other criminal activity.
Therefore the transmitting of tracking and other status information between nations and different organizations
should become an everyday business.

http://www.universitypress.org.uk/journals/cc/19-230.pdf

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTERS AND COMMUNICATIONS
by P. Kämppi, J. Rajamäki & R. Guinness
Satellite tracking is one of the most rapidly growing
service business areas in the world, and there are already many
commercial applications available. Benefits of the service for the
customer are advertised, but very seldom there is any mention of
information security of the system. Modern satellite tracking systems
contain communication and data processing on many levels, so they
are vulnerable to many risks of information security.
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by AjanleKoko: 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2010
I wonder at this story. Nothing really makes much sense, between Jonathan and his young friend. No be say I wan fall both their hands o undecided

First, there's no direct linkconnecting GPS and GSM mobile devices, unless the mobile phone has a GPS chip, that'll enable it to receive signals from Navstar.
Also . . . The GPS gate, GPS trace, Google Maps on a mobile device to trace the location of the mobile device. (GSM Tracker) WTF does that mean?

To be able to track a device, device has to be on a network, either GPS network or GSM network. That's the starting point. Besides, the Navstar satellite responds to unidirectional traffic (one-way to the uninitiated). The device interrogates the satellite, and it tells the device where it is by waypoints (longitude and latitude). Satellite does not interrogate device. You have to find another way to do that, hence the coming of GSM-GPS tracking devices.

What are those? In some car tracking solutions deployed by insurance companies in Nigeria nowadays, you have some GSM-GPS devices that works like this: device has a SIM card and connects to a network, and the number is known to an application server, resides in a database somewhere. To 'find' that device, or locate it, you send it an SMS. The device then gets its positioning via GPS, and SMSs back those co-ordinates to the requesting device or application, which can then plot those co-ordinates on a map. QED.

The other way you can locate a mobile device on GSM is via triangulation (which is not real-time). Triangulation is calculating the position of the device based on the last x cell towers the device connected to. They do this because the call detail records (CDRs) contain something called Location Area Code (LAC). Like I said, this is not a real-time calculation, unless you have implemented real-time location services in your network. No network in Nigeria has implemented that to my knowledge.

So, what exactly did the young man invent? Nothing really. But if what it takes for government to think is a young student, who cares? If all the tons of scientists working in ministry of communications and ministry of science and tech cannot leverage on technology that has existed for decades, then serves them right if a young boy takes their job jare cheesy
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
hopefully, the links above will provide some clarification
Re: Jonathan To Invite Finland-based Student To Help Fight Kidnapping by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

How do you know?

You are asking questions as if you are not in naija.

2 years ago I wondered how it could be possible for kidnappers to kidnapp victims, call the members of the family of their victims over the phone, negotiate for the money to be delievered to their destination of choice and yet go scot free? I have always wondered why our Police, JTF etc can not track these kidnappers and bust them.

This idea is not new, there is nothing novel about it. That it took our Government all this while to start looking for solution on facebook when the technology to resolve this already exists tells me they are dumb.

By the way Jonathan has been in the executive arm of Government since 2007.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Gabonese Police Set Nigerian Immigrant Ablaze / An Open Letter By A Northerner / 2015: Govs Chime, Suswam, Imoke Set To Dump Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.