Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,833 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:43 PM

What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago (74679 Views)

The Moment 6-Storey Building Collapsed In Banana Island, Lagos (Video) / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Photo Of The Bariga Building That Collapsed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by Delivar(m): 11:13pm On Nov 23, 2018
FarahAideed:
Seven floors with inconsistent concrete mix on all floors cannot be safe
Building collapse doesn't always necessarily mean bad practice. A significant earth movement just 20ft below the foundation of the building is enough to bring it down.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by Dronedude(m): 11:20pm On Nov 23, 2018
freshvine:
a case of too much money available and contractor promising to deliver a 7 storey highrise in 3 month and this leads to concrete not curing.

that location is waterlogged, i guess they didn't do pile foundation.

Women will always get gist for a nice gossip.

Smh
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by freshvine(f): 11:26pm On Nov 23, 2018
Dronedude:

Women will always get gist for a nice gossip.
Smh
are you ok?
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by RobbStark(m): 11:51pm On Nov 23, 2018
OP, lemme help you with pix sent to my whatsapp.
indeed it was a sad day as this building collapsed.
Reports has it that more than 60 persons were in that building. I also heard 11 persons were rescued alive.

Rip to the dead.

The last pix is one of the survivor

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by RobbStark(m): 11:58pm On Nov 23, 2018
ObinnaObinna:
It looks strong from the outside...
But is the foundation strong? The concrete used for the building is it of top quality? Ask yourselves these questions.

From a reliable source, the foundation was piled 18m.
I passed there some time ago and I think it could be poor supervision.

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by IrokoOluwere: 12:08am On Nov 24, 2018
freshvine:

are you ok?
Madam . Calm down.
He was joking
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 24, 2018
Someone's hard earned money - wasted.

Several breadwinners- gone.

What a tragedy..
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by emae009(m): 1:22am On Nov 24, 2018
I think it'll boil down to wrong or inadequate calculations.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by mrkels(m): 1:30am On Nov 24, 2018
Useless engineer .

Imagine the lives wasted

Imagine the cost on the owner .

This thing is painful o .
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by arrestdarrester: 1:46am On Nov 24, 2018
majekdom2:
Who constructs storeys these days using ladders?may the lost souls Rest In Peace.

Na for where you see ladders?
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by arrestdarrester: 1:48am On Nov 24, 2018
RobbStark:

From a reliable source, the foundation was piled 18m.
I passed there some time ago and I think it could be poor supervision.

Could sabotage be a possibility then?
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by blackbriar: 2:23am On Nov 24, 2018
arrestdarrester:

Could sabotage be a possibility then?

Design fault.

The structural engineer most likely did one joint calculations and superimposed for all the beams

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by blackbriar: 2:33am On Nov 24, 2018
It collapsed on it self.... structural failure
1. The frame design is redundant meaning if one structural member fails the whole structure fails
2. A structural member failed, I am guessing at a beam to column joint.what naija designers do is design just for one case of beam column joint and superimposed on the rest
3. There should be noticeable deflections in the beams before collapse; like a warning. It shouldn’t have yielded immediately. So either the beam was under reinforced or over reinforced.
4. In conclusion; design error. The building failed in serviceability state
5. Rest In Peace fallen ones

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by ogtavia(m): 3:05am On Nov 24, 2018
Lets put conspiracy theories aside, this is probably caused by wrong structural design. As an architect with about 8 year experience and about 5 years post graduation experience(yes, I started practicing in school), I can tell you that it isn't enough to create structural designs. Infact, it will be erroneous to create structural drawings and then become wholly dependent on those drawings while on site.

Apparently, incompetent supervision is responsible for this catastrophe.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by mechanics(m): 5:03am On Nov 24, 2018
So what are you saying now?
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by deebrownneymar: 6:18am On Nov 24, 2018
Arrest the structural consultant on the project fast!
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by Godmademan(m): 6:19am On Nov 24, 2018
My observation in the pre-collapse pics is the number of umbrellas just on the other side of the fence. obviously they are selling one thing or the other. If authorities ask them to leave their position they will cry foul but really sites like these are death traps and one should site business at safe distance from such.

2 Likes

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by verifiablefacts: 6:59am On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:
Front page again...I dedicate this to my Nurse girl who left me for an okada rider back in School, Now I drive a Camry pencil light grin
and what does the okada man drives now?Lexus?
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by banio: 8:03am On Nov 24, 2018
R.I.P
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by maasoap(m): 8:42am On Nov 24, 2018
TEDHorsePower:
I was in PH just last month. Along Woji Road GRA, I saw this high-rise under construction. I took particular interest because a friend is a sub contractor there. Fast forward 3weeks later, the building has now collapsed.

Sincerely speaking the building doesn't look like it is not being built by incompetent contractors.

https://www.nairaland.com/4863749/breaking-30-dead-many-injured

Well, the collapse exposed them as incompetent. There wasn't tremor or earthquake, no sunami, no tornado. No heavy rainfall, no nothing.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by delishpot: 9:15am On Nov 24, 2018
Rip to the dead
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by delishpot: 9:20am On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:
Front page again...I dedicate this to my Nurse girl who left me for an okada rider back in School, Now I drive a Camry pencil light grin
If they leave una for rich men una go cry if they leave una for poor men una go still cry. For her to dump you for an Okada man shows that you were a thorn in her flesh. She was not looking for wealth but happiness which you did not give to her. Stop complaining and work on yourself else another will leave you and your camry and go for a truck pusher that gives her peace of mind. How long after she dumped you did you buy your car? Pride written all over you.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by UrVillagePpl: 10:57am On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:

Camry, dat rubbish car..

and ya happy

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by fellownigerianz(m): 12:25pm On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:

I learnt the okada rider is now driving keke, so both of you are making progress. grin

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by nastyesco(m): 8:04pm On Nov 24, 2018
delishpot:
If they leave una for rich men go cry if they leave una for poor men una go still cry. For her to dump you for an Okada man shows that you were a thorn in her flesh. She was not looking for wealth but happiness which you did not give to her. Stop complaining and work on yourself else another will leave you and your camry and go for a truck pusher that gives her peace of mind. How long after she dumped you did you buy your car? Pride written all over you.
U go like write Newspaper article about it oh grin nonsense
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by delishpot: 9:44pm On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:

U go like write Newspaper article about it oh grin nonsense

If you go fit read am na. Cos I suspect you to be one of those who beg people online to help them summarize articles cos they can not read more than ten sentences in a year grin grin
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by nastyesco(m): 9:46pm On Nov 24, 2018
delishpot:

If you go fit read am na. Cos I suspect you to be one of those who beg people online to help them summarize articles cos they can not read more than ten sentences in a year grin grin
Oral diarrhea dey affect U na why you dey type nonsense for hia...don’t u have something stupid to do grin cheesy
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by delishpot: 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2018
nastyesco:

Oral diarrhea dey affect U na why you dey type nonsense for hia...don’t u have something stupid to do grin cheesy

No. If I had I will not be doing something not stupid like rehabilitating you into a sane society after Mmpu (You know that maggot that sometimes go under people's skin ba?) drilled a hole in half your brain. grin
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by whizzler: 2:47am On Nov 25, 2018
delishpot:
If they leave una for rich men una go cry if they leave una for poor men una go still cry. For her to dump you for an Okada man shows that you were a thorn in her flesh. She was not looking for wealth but happiness which you did not give to her. Stop complaining and work on yourself else another will leave you and your camry and go for a truck pusher that gives her peace of mind. How long after she dumped you did you buy your car? Pride written all over you.

So much Sense in what u have written here, but typical of we Nigerians we blame the next available person. No introspection

1 Like

Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by pomide(m): 10:34am On Nov 25, 2018
i cant believe Nigerians can tell why the building collapsed by just look at the Before and After pictures. We are intelligent in this country o.
Re: What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago by linearity: 2:34pm On Nov 25, 2018
TEDHorsePower:
I was in PH just last month. Along Woji Road GRA, I saw this high-rise under construction. I took particular interest because a friend is a sub contractor there. Fast forward 3weeks later, the building has now collapsed.

Sincerely speaking the building doesn't look like it is not being built by incompetent contractors.

https://www.nairaland.com/4863749/breaking-30-dead-many-injured

OP, you threw me off with your double negatives in the bolden portion above.

So, from opinion, first hand experience and personal knowledge and interactions with one of the sub-contractors, were the builders incompetent?

The implied rendition of your double negatives means, the builders were incompetent. I don’t know, if this was the impression that you were trying to convey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Roof This House? / Can You Swim In These Swimming Pools!? -(pics Attached) / Journey To Building My Two Bedroom Apartment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.