Stats: 3,176,457 members, 7,897,944 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 11:38 PM

Brown Rice - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Brown Rice (11810 Views)

Nessa Foods - Ofada Rice, Brown Rice And Long Grain Unpolished Rice / Special Brown Rice For Diabetics And Weight Watchers. / Where Can I Get Brown Rice In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 8:29pm On Aug 01, 2010
blacksta:

Interesting but as mentioned by others on this thread - Why is brown difficult to cook or taste funny and basically any kind of white food must be dangerous for one ?- what about white sugar.

it takes longer probably because unlike white rice, brown rice still has its bran. it takes more water to cook. some people do pre-soak it in warm water hours ahead before cooking and i guess the bran also plays a part in the taste too.

personally, i dont think there is big difference between both sugar nutrition-wise. the brown sugar gets its color by the reintroduction of molasses. although, the molasses though contain some mineral but only in a minuscule amount/quantity so it does nothing, no difference between the two sugars. both are still empty calories

i have tired organic brown sugar and i have personally, noticed that i tend put more of it than white sugar, because i feel like i dont get the sugar taste quickly like white sugar. so i stick with white sugar. but brown sugar tastes better to some and also its the better option when it comes to baking.

the same thing with brown eggs and white eggs that some people claim that brown ones, are more healthy. that too is a myth the difference in color is due to the breed of hen.
Re: Brown Rice by tpiah: 11:50pm On Aug 01, 2010
the minute rice is very good:

i like it more than the one i cooked myself, from scratch.

it [the home cooked one] came out tasting rather nasty, even though i added butter. Maybe i should steam it?
Re: Brown Rice by netotse(m): 12:09am On Aug 02, 2010
i just had to pop in and say i hate each and everyone of you guys(esp you Ejademen). . .now my hyperactive conscience wont let me rest on this brown rice being more healthy matter. . .i dont know why i had to come and check this thread out sef angry
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 10:24am On Aug 02, 2010
My God Brown eggs  shocked   I am hearing that one for the first .  Even the thought alone  - I have already lost a stone.  What kind of chicken lays brown eggs are you sure that one is not suppose to be in the joke section.
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
Lol @ blacksta

@ netotse ntoi! angry cool tongue

I really need to get me a small quantity of this awful tasting and smelly rice grin
Re: Brown Rice by redsun(m): 9:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
Uncle Ben's brown rice in pack can cook in less than 20 minutes,quite tasty,tastier than white rice but relatively more expensive.
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 1:37am On Aug 03, 2010
Re: Brown Rice by tpiah: 1:40am On Aug 03, 2010
dont we have brown eggs in nigeria or who was saying brown eggs are a strange thing.

i seem to remember seeing brown eggs back home.

double yolked eggs, on the other hand, are something else entirely.

cant eat those.
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 1:43am On Aug 03, 2010
im also surprised [b]blacksta [/b]says he never heard of brown eggs. i mean this eggs dey plenty in naija
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 9:53am On Aug 03, 2010
~Sissy~:

im also surprised [b]blacksta [/b]says he never heard of brown eggs. i mean this eggs dey plenty in naija

Sorry my bad - Yes i have seen brown eggs, seen it a countless times - I thought we were talking about a brown yoke - lol
Re: Brown Rice by redsun(m): 10:34am On Aug 03, 2010
blacksta:

Sorry my bad  - Yes i have seen brown eggs, seen it a countless times  - I thought we were talking about a brown yoke - lol

I wouldn't blame you for thinking that way.Egg is the same,the difference is the range-Intensive,Free range and Organic range,
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 11:00am On Aug 03, 2010
Re: Brown Rice by blank(f): 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
I HATE brown rice.
Doctor's said u should eat brown rice while pregnant so i went out and bought plenty.
(It was pretty expensive).
I made jollof rice. it was so horrible.
I thought maybe it is not meant to be used as jollof rice.
I then boiled it to eat, I could not eat it at all!
I had to throw it away and boil white rice.
I don't care if brown is better than white, i no fit chop am again.
The money i wasted has taught me dat not all dat is healthy is actually to be eaten!
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2010
blank:

I HATE brown rice.
Doctor's said u should eat brown rice while pregnant so i went out and bought plenty.
(It was pretty expensive).
I made jollof rice. it was so horrible.
I thought maybe it is not meant to be used as jollof rice.
I then boiled it to eat, I could not eat it at all!
I had to throw it away and boil white rice.
I don't care if brown is better than white, i no fit chop am again.
The money i wasted has taught me dat not all dat is healthy is actually to be eaten!
shocked shocked
grin grin grin grin What a passionate response.
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 3:19pm On Aug 04, 2010
Hope u don get the brown ride
Re: Brown Rice by smurf1(f): 5:37pm On Aug 04, 2010
Its for like health conscious people, undecided
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
@ Fhemmy not yet. I've been discouraged.
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2010
I need 10 satchets of brown sugar to replace 4 satchets of white sugar - na wa ooo  - i hope i would not need 1 bag of brown rice to replace a cup of white rice. grin
Re: Brown Rice by blank(f): 12:21am On Aug 06, 2010
blacksta:

I need 10 satchets of brown sugar to replace 4 satchets of white sugar - na wa ooo  - i hope i would not need 1 bag of brown rice to replace a cup of white rice. grin

Don't be too hasty to throw away your white rice.
Buy small brown rice first and taste it and see if it is something u can be eating regularly.
Don't say i didn't warn u.
Look for other sources of nutrients to eat healthy, maybe more fruits n vegetables not that brown rice.
Worse case is that it is even more expensive than normal rice.
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 10:48am On Aug 06, 2010
I am still heavyly not considering brown rice after all i have read. Abeg i will increase my daily activities so i burn off more fat. on a second thought - will attempt to cook maybe a cup to experiment - if it is murky - na ditch be that .
Re: Brown Rice by dustydee: 11:31am On Aug 06, 2010
what about Brown beans ?
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2010
dustydee:

what about Brown beans ?
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2010
Ejadamen:

@ Fhemmy not yet. I've been discouraged.

Common . . . why would u let others discourages you of what you want and blv in?
Go for the brown rice jare, and dont mind us
Re: Brown Rice by blank(f): 4:10pm On Aug 06, 2010
Brown beans is sweet just that it gives flatulence.
However, it is more nutritious than white beans
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 1:39pm On Aug 11, 2010
@ Fhemmy, I don't think I want to try it.
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2010
Ejadamen:

@ Fhemmy, I don't think I want to try it.

U dont think you wanna try something that you are yet to try . . . . . . .
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 2:18pm On Aug 11, 2010
I'm more worried about the smell.

Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2010
Ejadamen:

How did u know what it would smell like, since u yet to try it
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 6:24pm On Aug 11, 2010
Testimonies were given.
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2010
^^ Ok
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 8:17am On Aug 13, 2010
Ejadamen:

smell or taste?

i think you should try it. remember everyones taste bud is different, so you might actually like it as long as you cook it well
Re: Brown Rice by zenatta: 6:41pm On Aug 23, 2010
Buy at Park and shop VI and in amigos in Abuja. Pls learn to eat brown rice, we learn everything. Also looking to lose weight then add lentils and chickpeas. Yes they are expensive but what I do is make them side dishes. vegetables complement. You will hate it at first but it grows on you. You will see the fat melt as these are more healthy options

I Dont Know How To Cook / Best Fruit Drink For This Season(zobocola) / Why Is The Last Ball Of Eba/fufu Hard To Swallow?