Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,854 members, 7,949,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 03:56 PM

What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole (535 Views)

What The Hell Is "Niger Delta Republic"? / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office / Festus Keyamo Disagrees With Bankole's Aquittal. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole by mrinfo(m): 11:28am On Jul 30, 2010
The rivalry between the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, and governor of Ogun State, Gbenga Daniel, yesterday, led to a brawl during the commissioning of the overhead bridge constructed by the federal government in Ota, Ogun State.

The event had kicked off before the arrival of the Speaker, and Mr Daniel, who came with a large entourage, had delivered a speech critical of the Speaker.

The governor said Mr. Bankole was erroneously claiming credit for the federal government project.

“Tell the Speaker, to stop claiming responsibility for the construction,” Mr Daniel said. “The project was started by the former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, and we want to thank him.”

He advised that the Speaker should focus on achieving something for the state before his tenure ends.

“Tell my junior brother, the Speaker, that he should do something before his tenure lapses; we all have less than few months to leave office,” he said.

The road project was started about ten years ago by the government of Mr Obasanjo but was abandoned half way. Last year, during a visit to the town, Mr Bankole campaigned for work to be completed on the project.

When invited for yesterday’s commissioning by the Minister of Works, Sanusi Daggash, Mr. Bankole is said to have explained that he would he available only after the session of the House in Abuja.

However, as the Speaker arrived the venue of the occasion, Mr Daniel quickly cut short his speech and cut the tape to commission the project. The governor then ushered Mr. Daggash, the works minister, and other officials to a bus, marking the end of the event.

Angry Speaker

Sensing mischief, the Speaker moved to confront the governor and minister, who were already in the bus. He asked an aide to call out Mr Daggash but the messenger returned to say the minister would not come because he was speaking with the governor.

Visibly angry, Mr Bankole forced his way onto the bus. Onlookers could not get a clear view of what transpired between the Speaker and governor but Mr Bankole was later seen attempting to stop the driver from moving the bus. He was restrained by the vehicle’s occupants. The governor and his entourage left after Mr. Bankole got off the bus.

As the confusion progressed, security aides to both parties created more panic. The charged atmosphere forced many people to run for safety.

Among those who fled was the traditional ruler of Ota town, Alani Oloyede. The royal father had to tuck in his flowing agbada, as he fled the scene followed by other chiefs.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Mr. Bankole’s spokesperson, Kayode Odunaro, later told journalists that, in the bus, Mr. Bankole queried why the Minister abandoned him after inviting him to the ceremony.

“Why did the Minister allow the commissioning to take place, knowing that the Speaker, who had rushed down from Abuja because of the ceremony was around,” he said.

“I think it is a great disservice to the House of Representatives which had ensured that the N5 billion extra budget was passed to revive the already abandoned project and ensure that it was completed.”
Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole by mrinfo(m): 11:36am On Jul 30, 2010
The man I suspect must have been a boxing thug before his elevation to Abuja.
Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole by Guarantor(m): 11:48am On Jul 30, 2010
From the article that was posted, I don't see anything that wrong with Bankole, instead it is the empty, irresponsible governor that has something wrong with.
Why should he, firstly address the Speaker of the House like that and also what can he categorically said he has done especially around this Sango Otta, upon all the revenue generated for the state in this localty.
Even the so called project as far as i am concern, is not yet completely, is just that our people are so shameles and lack integrity, i don't see any glory that is to be taken from that incomplete project. Instead of our people to talk the sincere truth, they would prefer to hide the truth and endure the sufferness, if not i don't see the reason why the Olota cannot tell them that it is an imcomplete project and so there is nothing to commission.
Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With Bankole by Becomrich0: 12:04pm On Jul 30, 2010
I dont think bankole or the PDP know how upset the Yorubas are with them.

The Yorubas are only going to vote for a party with a Yoruba person on is ticket. Any party without Yoruba person. would loss . Yoruba PDP members are better decamping now or they have all lost thier sit. This is politics. You go where your people are or you loss.

(1) (Reply)

Ota Bridge Face-off: Ac, Ngo Carpet Bankole, Daniel ! / Make A Wise Choice To Have A Better Future,the Time Is Now: / Check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.