Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,312 members, 7,932,213 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 09:13 PM

Denver Resident Joins Nigerian Presidential Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Denver Resident Joins Nigerian Presidential Race (533 Views)

Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / Buhari Joins Nigerian Youths To Celebrate The International Youth / Sam Wantings [denver's Resident] Joins Nigerian Presidential Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Denver Resident Joins Nigerian Presidential Race by AloyEmeka8: 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2010
Denver resident joins Nigerian presidential race
By Monte Whaley
July 29, 2010 01:08AM

While the election season in the U.S. is steaming ahead, another campaign is being launched in Colorado by a man who wants to save his native land from graft and greed.

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=PM$YqHxbFOYWXCXnMpFn_S6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxRNe_8t$H_9Xci9XAVV1YdUnW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

Sam Wantings (Nwanti), a 46-year-old Greeley resident, is running for presidency of Nigeria, a country he visits frequently, even though he’s lived in the United States for more than half his life. Mr Wantings said he wants to use his background as a detective and business entrepreneur to rid Nigeria of corruption and bring honest business opportunities to his people.

“Nigeria needs to change,” he said. “And I’m the only one who can effect that.”

He said his 2011 run for the presidency commences in August, when he will return to Nigeria and begin his on-the-ground campaign. He plans to do that for most of this year and into next year.

“Criminals and corrupt politicians run my country, and I feel I need to run now to make any kind of difference,” he said. “It needs to happen soon, or it will be too late.”

Mr. Wantings, who has dual citizenship in Nigeria and the U.S., said he does not believe his split loyalties will hurt his chances. “I think the people will appreciate that I can give our country a fresh perspective, a fresh view of the things that need to be done,” he said.

The man and his family moved to California in 1984, and he became a security officer while he attended Sacramento State College to study Criminal Justice. He stayed in contact with friends and family back home. In 2003, Mr. Wantings served as vice chairman of the Peoples’ Democratic Party chapter in Washington. That same year, he ran unsuccessfully for governor of Imo State.

He moved to Greeley in 2006 because his wife got a job at a local nursing home. He said he’s been trained by the FBI and KGB, which makes him an ideal choice to root out corruption. He also said his connections with his family business in Nigeria means he can bring legitimate commerce to his land.

Mancho Samba, chairman of the African Detective Association, is listed as a staunch supporter on Mr. Wantings’ campaign literature. “He will obey, follow, respect the law,” Samba said in his endorsement. “Corruption, crimes, will be on vacation when he takes over in 2011.”

Mr. Wantings wants endorsements from local business and political leaders to help rebuild the infrastructure of Nigeria. His plan is to partner with Colorado firms, who will then use Nigerian labour for the rebuilding.

“This is my country’s best chance to realise its potential,” he declared.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5599585-146/denver_resident_joins_nigerian__presidential.csp

(1) (Reply)

Sambo For President, Jonathan For Vice? / Obasanjo is Grandfather Of Corruption / Check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.