Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,916 members, 7,942,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 06:26 AM

Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This (428 Views)

Digital Education For Children Necessary Or Not? / Can Our Schools Really Be Safe? / Should I Choose This Course? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by lacemose(m): 6:02am On Dec 05, 2018
I woke up early this morning with a thought that bothered me so much, it has been bothering me in the past but today was more. It is the problem of schools in Nigeria or probably some other parts of the world.

While growing up, we were taught by our parents or guardians that school is a place where you go to shape your destiny, a place where you go to so as to become “someone” in future, but when you grow up, you tend to see life in a whole different way.

Schools in a way have streamlined some people’s mentality to think towards just one direction, which follows this sequence; go to school, do your service (NYSC for a year), look for a good job (if you don’t get one, keep looking for), get married, have kids and die. There should be more to life than all these.

From statistics, it shows that a high percentage of the wealthiest men in the world dropped out of school to chase their dreams to get where they are now because schools were more of a distraction to them. Take a look at Bill Gates who quit school to go start up Microsoft, take a look at the richest man in Africa and Nigeria, Aliko Dangote who dropped out of school to become a serial entrepreneur, Larry Ellison the owner of Oracle who dropped out of the University of Chicago, Michael Dell who dropped out of the University of Texas to start up Dell computers, Paul Allen. The list is endless if I choose to continue, but I believe my point is passed out from the few names listed.

I am not really saying people should start dropping out of school to start up their own business, what I am implying here is that if schools can add it to their curriculum each term or semester, it would help the student develop their skills in other areas. I really love what the school, Covenant University is doing, bring up a course called EDS (Entrepreneurial Development Studies), each semester the student have a compulsory practical of the course which involves barbing, catering, fish farming, tiling, perfumery and many more which carries about 50 percent, sometimes even 100 percent of the course, that way it would groom the students up to think of other ways of self sustenance and take their mind off adding to the crew of unemployed youths.

Let us get off our butts today and make the educational system better…

source: https://www.musictori.com/2018/12/are-schools-really-necessary-or-should.html

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, dominique
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 05, 2018
It is the government's responsibility to make the educational system better. Sad to say but i doubt any tangible improvement will be done soon. Government that is yet to settle with ASUU.
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by iGISTMORE: 6:06am On Dec 05, 2018
cool
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by Trouble1: 6:14am On Dec 05, 2018
Did you just sY Aliko Dangote dropped out of school?
Lmao . Na you drop an out?
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by MVLOX(m): 11:23am On Dec 05, 2018
hmmm
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by Ikennablue(m): 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2018
You don't even really need the government or the school system to help you. I think it's high time Nigeria students start thinking out of the box. As far as Nigeria is concerned, this is the age of entrepreneurship. While in school, endeavor to learn a skill, look at that big number of students and think of ways and services you can offer them
Re: Are Schools Really Necessary? Or Should We Choose This by Ajoboss(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2018
Hey, dnt look at what dis or dat did..follow ur passion

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: National President Speak On Receiving N15.89bn From Fg / Adeyemi College Of Education Ondo, 2018/2019 Supplementary Degree Admission List / Delta State Govt Suspends Little Success’ Headmistress Over Viral Video On Socia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.