Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,104 members, 7,880,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:13 PM

How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy (10853 Views)

COVID-19: Reddington Zaine Offers Free Medicare For Lagos Air Travellers / FLASHBACK: How Lagos Prescribed Herbal Medicine For Spanish Flu Of 1918 / 7 Signs You Are Unhealthy But You Probably Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by GMbuharii: 5:23pm On Dec 10, 2018
Why won't the air be polluted when you have dirty coneheads ajokas everywhere?

It is an wonder of the world for a sophisticated conehead to have his/bath 2wice a day
grin

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 10, 2018
The air in naija is horrible. When I left naija, all my asthma symptoms vanished.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by crazygod(m): 5:25pm On Dec 10, 2018
The number of cars with bad exhaust fumes alone in Lagos can make someone sick. Its even bad now cos most residents of Lagos don't even have trees in their compounds making Lagos extremely hot. Ozone layer is depleting every day. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by CsRockefeller(m): 5:26pm On Dec 10, 2018
dajoaneke:
It is true. I always find it hard to breathe in Lagos. The air in the north is 2nd to none. Here in Jos, there's hardly anyone home with air-conditioning.

Sir, I just finished my service here in Jos, pls help me with a job, I don't want to go back to Lagos, I'm enjoying this place.

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by abdullkabar(m): 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2018
It depends on the area tho, I noticed I do get eyes irritation around cms for no reason since some years back. I live around eleko,seems the air is still fresh there.
I just don't like busy areas undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by naijaboiy: 5:42pm On Dec 10, 2018
Opinionated:

If you ask me, na who I go ask?

This is a germane issue that affects residents and visitors to Lagos. The air quality at the moment is very poor.
So make people no breathe abi Wetin?
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2018
sniperwolf:
I was born in Lagos and at a tender age I was diagnosed with asthma. I always get an asthmatic attack during the period of (April - August) and (December - January). I lived with the sickness from my tender age till when I got admitted into the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO).

I never got an attack in school (Owerri), but whenever I visited Lagos for semester holiday I will definitely go down with an attack in Lagos before the resumption of the next semester.

I knew Lagos was very unhealthy for me but I love the state. I still manage to come back after every semester.

After university education, I did my NYSC in Lagos and the attack was becoming more prominent, and at this point of my life I was more responsible for myself. I can't imagine what my parents went through taking care of me and my condition.

Bottom-line, I made a decision to leave Lagos for Owerri and after 8 years here, I've never experienced an attack.

The few times I have visited Lagos; right from Ojota, my breath changes. Lagos is very much unhealthy

Whoa. Sorry about that bud.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by femeritus: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2018
This is still nothing compared to Port Harcourt.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Honesty007(m): 6:03pm On Dec 10, 2018
There are many causes,but the major ones are indiscriminate dumping of waste in culverts and water bodies which evaporate during dry seasons and pollute the atmosphere,also the very small areas with greenery have have been converted to potential water closets and toxic wastes
The rural areas are the worst hit.take note in oversea countries,u can smell the natural smell of a village plant but in Nigeria i dont think so.its horrible and a shame.its so sad u cant smell any natural smell.
most especially village people with village attitudes and no orientation would constitute a menance of pollution.
Areas with no electricity are the worst.it seems dumping is a special activity associated with culture of lagosians.
its unfortunate that filth is the raw product of such culture.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
The ambient air quality in commercial and industrial cities is usually poor.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Ttipsy(f): 6:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
not only Lagos, all cities in Nigeria has a dangerous air quality to the impact on our health.

due to the bad shape of our roads, dust, industrial emissions etc

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
I legit just finished talking about this with someone now, last week on my way to Ibadan, immediately we passed Iperu it was different air entirely.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by sacajawea: 6:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
sniperwolf:
I was born in Lagos and at a tender age I was diagnosed with asthma. I always get an asthmatic attack during the period of (April - August) and (December - January). I lived with the sickness from my tender age till when I got admitted into the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO).

I never got an attack in school (Owerri), but whenever I visited Lagos for semester holiday I will definitely go down with an attack in Lagos before the resumption of the next semester.

I knew Lagos was very unhealthy for me but I love the state. I still manage to come back after every semester.

After university education, I did my NYSC in Lagos and the attack was becoming more prominent, and at this point of my life I was more responsible for myself. I can't imagine what my parents went through taking care of me and my condition.

Bottom-line, I made a decision to leave Lagos for Owerri and after 8 years here, I've never experienced an attack.

The few times I have visited Lagos; right from Ojota, my breath changes. Lagos is very much unhealthy
And some ppl are still smoking heavily in that Lagos.
Lol i pirry some ppl
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by pedrilo: 6:12pm On Dec 10, 2018
Lagosians r supposed to be paid health hazard allowance weekly.
The city is hazardous

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by wildchild1: 6:15pm On Dec 10, 2018
I rep FCT Abuja grin

Christmas promo still ongoing on all club and country jerseys, order while the promo last...check my signature
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Brightgem(f): 7:38pm On Dec 10, 2018
R0manGreen:
Am not surprised, my first time in Lagos, stuck in traffic....I almost went mad coz the odour and the air wasn't healthy at all, once you enter Lagos from the high way, you will notice the change in air quality
I agree too much. Was there just a few weeks back. Experienced exact same things you are saying. Came back and had skin inflammations as well. I just still can't decipher what people love about that city. The hold up is enough to make one move.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 10, 2018
Not only Lagos.
All Nigerian cities are guilty undecided
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Brightgem(f): 7:43pm On Dec 10, 2018
AmazingELixir:
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lagos pollution capital of Africa,.... standing along ikorodu road for just 5mins then wipe your face with White handkerchief then you'll understand the severity of pollution in Lagos.

Virtually all the street light lamps have turned charcoal black because of excessive carbon emissions from rickety vehicles from trailers, to danfo, even the new blue buses and ofcourse not forgetting the notorious red buses and refuse trucks.

Lagos is nearing breaking point ammonia pollution from careless urinating and passing of excreta in open spaces is another huge challenge.i don't even want to mention solid waste which is now on the faces of every lagosian.

And population of Lagos is expanding at an alarming rate alongside crimes and associated vices, beggers and deformed people of all extractions inundates the length and breadth of the city constituting nuisance.

Lagos state needs help beyond her borders and until development becomes evenly spread across the country the condition of the state will only degenerate.
Apt!

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Brightgem(f): 7:51pm On Dec 10, 2018
sacajawea:

And some ppl are still smoking heavily in that Lagos.
Lol i pirry some ppl
looolz! This one made me laugh. Express way to death, seems they can't wait.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by CaptainMitch: 8:01pm On Dec 10, 2018
I like that you are stuck in my state for a while, I will be around in two weeks time, we can have a sit down.
skarlett:

Don't mind all these half baked researchers
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by CaptainFM1: 8:08pm On Dec 10, 2018
Opinionated:

If you ask me, na who I go ask?

This is a germane issue that affects residents and visitors to Lagos. The air quality at the moment is very poor.

I tire ooo, Wetin PH city go con talk...wey illegal bunkering soot don finish everywhere.
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by uuzba(m): 9:30pm On Dec 10, 2018
nextstep:

A curious mind is the start of many positive policies and technological breakthroughs.
A serious government (and people) will read this information, take it seriously, and use it productively. Far more people get sick this time of year due to respiratory issues, and the long term effects is that people die prematurely after years of breathing in this polluted air.

In case anyone asks: here are some ideas, albeit not completely thought out:
- invest in renewable-energy buses. Right not it's not cost effective, but with government grants/loans/assistance...
- hospitals should be prepared to deal with increase in respiratory illnesses
- somebody could make or sell cloth masks that reduce particulate intake (especially when sleeping, or for kids and infants)
- government could consider industrialization and beautification policies that reduce the number of pollutants

The point of having a country is so that different people pool their talents (scientific, political, medical, etc) to make life more enjoyable for everyone. We should be proactive, instead of just letting nature do what it wants with us.

Long French.
Plant trees in your compound. I have trees in my compound because they do their usual Oxygen release. Plus filter out dust and smoke from vehicles on the road.

I cannot stop the vehicles on the road.
Nigerians buy one plot of land and cover the whole place with cement and paving stones. Now you are complaining about bad air.

Better knock down part of your house and plant a tree there. Sidon be waiting for government to give a damn about anything .
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 10, 2018
CaptainMitch:
I like that you are stuck in my state for a while, I will be around in two weeks time, we can have a sit down.

To talk about what?

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by uuzba(m): 9:40pm On Dec 10, 2018
Ttipsy:
not only Lagos, all cities in Nigeria has a dangerous air quality to the impact on our health.

due to the bad shape of our roads, dust, industrial emissions etc

From exhaust gases of cars
Exhaust gases of motorcycles.
Exhaust gases of diesel trucks
Exhaust gases of diesel generator
Exhaust gases of petrol generator.
Exhaust gases of "I better pass my neighbour"
-
We are busy importing and buying all these engines from Oyibo counties, and now we shall die of exhaust fumes.
-
Oyibo realised all this pollution and are doing research to come up with reduced emission engines and renewable energy.
Nigerians just sit down and IMPORT cheap products producing all the smoke in the world.
-
Importation will kill us.

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by nograv: 9:48pm On Dec 10, 2018
Opinionated:
We are in the harmattan season when visibility and air quality tend to drop. This often accompanied by bouts of catarrh and cough for many people in Nigeria. What many people may not know is the degree to which the air they breathe is polluted or hazardous.

We did some research and discovered that air quality is measure globally through a standard called Air Quality Index (AQI).

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, AQI can be defined: …”as a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 represents good air quality with little potential to affect public health, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality.

“An AQI value of 100 generally corresponds to the national air quality standard for the pollutant, which is the level EPA has set to protect public health. AQI values below 100 are generally thought of as satisfactory. When AQI values are above 100, air quality is considered to be unhealthy-at first for certain sensitive groups of people, then for everyone as AQI values get higher.”

This chart explains it more:

Each category corresponds to a different level of health concern. The six levels of health concern and what they mean are:
• “Good” AQI is 0 to 50. Air quality is considered satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.

• “Moderate” AQI is 51 to 100. Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people. For example, people who are unusually sensitive to ozone may experience respiratory symptoms.

• “Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups” AQI is 101 to 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.

• “Unhealthy” AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.

• “Very Unhealthy” AQI is 201 to 300. This would trigger a health alert signifying that everyone may experience more serious health effects.

• “Hazardous” AQI greater than 300. This would trigger a health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected.

Now, having understood the different categories of AQI, we decided to check the AQI for Lagos today via AirVisual which provides daily AQI measurements and this is what we found.

For today, Lagos falls in the purple region of AQI with a score of 210 making the air residents of the city breathing today to be very unhealthy.
The government needs to do more to provide a cleaner and healthier envirionment. Yes, the harmattan has contributed to low air quality today but it can be better with better regulation and less pollution.

Source: Discovered: How Lagos Air Quality is ‘Very Unhealthy’

Well when the Lagos state government doesnt monitor the state of vehicles that ply the road what do you expect?

Only in Lagos would you see an old 1960s British Leyland truck belching black smoke still allowed to be on the road. In Singapore or London, such vehicles would immediately be taken off the road.

Ahh Nigeria when will you learn.. sad

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by nograv: 9:50pm On Dec 10, 2018
uuzba:

Long French.
Plant trees in your compound. I have trees in my compound because they do their usual Oxygen release. Plus filter out dust and smoke from vehicles on the road.

I cannot stop the vehicles on the road.
Nigerians buy one plot of land and cover the whole place with cement and paving stones. Now you are complaining about bad air.

Better knock down part of your house and plant a tree there. Sidon be waiting for government to give a damn about anything .

Yes you can change Policy on pollution, dont vote in dumb leaders like Buhari or Atiku..

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by madjune(m): 10:03pm On Dec 10, 2018
Truth be told.

Lagos is a ticking time bomb for anybody's health.

The level of ammonia and CO2 in its air are just dangerously too high and the scary thing is, it keeps rising without check by the day.

I wonder what the ministry of environment is doing about it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by eazyman(m): 10:19pm On Dec 10, 2018
Wait till Dangote refinery commences then you will know what air pollution is.....then you will have a feel of what Niger deltans pass through....
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Judybash93(m): 8:30am On Dec 11, 2018
Holumhidey:

was just joking
we cool right?

lol... We're cool
Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by novelbuks(m): 5:13pm On Dec 11, 2018
Opinionated:
We are in the harmattan season when visibility and air quality tend to drop. This often accompanied by bouts of catarrh and cough for many people in Nigeria. What many people may not know is the degree to which the air they breathe is polluted or hazardous.

We did some research and discovered that air quality is measure globally through a standard called Air Quality Index (AQI).

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, AQI can be defined: …”as a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 represents good air quality with little potential to affect public health, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality.

“An AQI value of 100 generally corresponds to the national air quality standard for the pollutant, which is the level EPA has set to protect public health. AQI values below 100 are generally thought of as satisfactory. When AQI values are above 100, air quality is considered to be unhealthy-at first for certain sensitive groups of people, then for everyone as AQI values get higher.”

This chart explains it more:

Each category corresponds to a different level of health concern. The six levels of health concern and what they mean are:
• “Good” AQI is 0 to 50. Air quality is considered satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.

• “Moderate” AQI is 51 to 100. Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people. For example, people who are unusually sensitive to ozone may experience respiratory symptoms.

• “Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups” AQI is 101 to 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.

• “Unhealthy” AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.

• “Very Unhealthy” AQI is 201 to 300. This would trigger a health alert signifying that everyone may experience more serious health effects.

• “Hazardous” AQI greater than 300. This would trigger a health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected.

Now, having understood the different categories of AQI, we decided to check the AQI for Lagos today via AirVisual which provides daily AQI measurements and this is what we found.

For today, Lagos falls in the purple region of AQI with a score of 210 making the air residents of the city breathing today to be very unhealthy.
The government needs to do more to provide a cleaner and healthier envirionment. Yes, the harmattan has contributed to low air quality today but it can be better with better regulation and less pollution.

Source: Discovered: How Lagos Air Quality is ‘Very Unhealthy’

Good research man. Little things like this are what we need on this continent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy by Opinionated: 9:55pm On Dec 11, 2018
novelbuks:

Good research man. Little things like this are what we need on this continent.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls Help By Advising On How To Get Rid Off Scar After Surgery / "Hand Of Hope": 21-week-old Unborn Fetus Reach Out Towards The Surgeon. See Why / Top 5 Sex Position For High Pleasurable Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.