Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,151 members, 7,943,150 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:27 AM

Which Programming Language - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programming Language (995 Views)

Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 1:17pm On Aug 02, 2010
Hey guys i need ur little advice on settling for a programming. I am coming from web site design and development in which i think i can do alot of stuff. But i am intending venturing software development. hence i wish to start from VISUAL BASIC.NET.

Can somebody advice me on which programming is really advisable to adhere to in this part of the world, Visual Basic.net C++, Java C# or what
Re: Which Programming Language by joefazee(m): 4:45pm On Aug 02, 2010
Start with Java or Delphi. avoid Microsoft programming language. You can create application for Windows using Delphi or Java.

Note: Delphi applications runs only on Windows but Java run all round, still you can choose Python. Python is easier than Both Java and Delphi and also run on all platform with OO support.
Re: Which Programming Language by chukxy: 8:44am On Aug 03, 2010
@joefazee , why did you say he should avoid microsoft based langauge, do you have any reason for that?
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 9:13am On Aug 03, 2010
@chukxy do u mind giving me your own view of this issue
Re: Which Programming Language by chukxy: 11:40am On Aug 03, 2010
I don't normally like to comment on issue like this because I see programming language as  a working tool for programmers/developers. You can
always achieve what you want to achieve if you know how to use the language effectively. Again the choice of language to study is based on your
personal target or ambition. Like me, I started  in the following order -Qbasic,Java,C and scripting languages(javascript,php,ajax).

Haven explored, I want to settle for Java and C. Java because I want to be developing secured enterprise applications and I think java has all it takes. C because I also want to be Hardware and system programmer and also think C has all it takes. I am still exploring, would still explore c++ and C# in very short while.

For, beginners I would I advise to start from C as It will introduce you to the rudiment of programming since it has very little library. You are forced to do almost all the coding by your self. By the time you finish learning C, learning other programming languages would be very easy as you have known almost all it takes to program. This is my personal opinion.
Re: Which Programming Language by joefazee(m): 12:05pm On Aug 03, 2010
@chukxy
My reasons are

1. Portability
2. Performance
3. Flexibility

Why should you write application that will run only on Windows and the same application can be written in Java/Python and run all platform.
The most important softwares on Windows are created using C/C++ and little of C#. common notepad is C++, MS Office C++, all the drivers are C and MASM.
Re: Which Programming Language by netghost: 11:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
joefazee:

@chukxy
My reasons are

1. Portability
2. Performance
3. Flexibility

Why should you write application that will run only on Windows and the same application can be written in Java/Python and run all platform.
The most important softwares on Windows are created using C/C++ and little of C#. common notepad is C++, MS Office C++, all the drivers are C and MASM.

what kind of ignorant talk is this, NO OFFENCE PLEASE
Re: Which Programming Language by Beaf: 12:23am On Aug 04, 2010
joefazee:

@chukxy
My reasons are

1. Portability
2. Performance
3. Flexibility

Every single reason above is pitiable and false. Just another religious rant.

@friendehis
I would advise you to pick C# over VB.NET, because the Worldwide support for VB.NET is dwindling fast. You will also find that the vast majority of .NET tutorials on the net are written in C#.
There is nothing that stops you from coding for a Word wide market from your bedroom in Nigeria, so do not limit your thinking to "this part of the World". For now, learn, grow and good luck.
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 9:30am On Aug 04, 2010
@Beaf

Thanks very much for your encouragement. Well programming well is a collection of compounding knowledge that is one thing i think most of the time and as such i wanted to master VB.NET because i have already started and then proceed or probably settle for C# and maybe over the years actuall more knowledge about other language

What do u think
Re: Which Programming Language by Beaf: 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2010
@friendehis
While there is nothing wrong with VB.NET, you will find that the most popular languages you will encounter as a Developer have C style syntax, eg C#, C, C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript etc.
Picking up C# will lead you through a quicker route to all other C style languages, an experienced C# Developer is able to look at a Java, C, C++ etc programme and easily understand it, whereas VB.NET leads to the comparatively microscopic and obscure Basic style languages.

There are also very few open source VB.NET apps, an absolute no no for beginners who must rely on some free code and free apps; both as shortcuts and to see how things are done.
Re: Which Programming Language by mj(m): 2:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
Infact all of you are wrong, what determines the programming language to use is the type of application you want to build. You look at which one is better 4 that application. I can write some programs easily in FORTRAN which you can hardly do in Java (FORTRAN has many Maths Intrinsic functions that java don't have), u doubt me? Even d common notepad I can develop in minutes using VB6. Depends on the type of application u are writing. then u will know what programming language suits u, I'm learning everyday, Guess what, I started with Q basic, C, Java, Javascript, PHP, AJAX, VB, and now VB.net, School is making me lazy did days, do u know u can make your windows based applications to be used on other OS. I'm currently doing my I.T in SystemSpecs, What Programming language was used in developing the software for Sim Registration?
Re: Which Programming Language by Beaf: 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2010
mj:

Infact all of you are wrong, what determines the programming language to use is the type of application you want to build. You look at which one is better 4 that application. I can write some programs easily in FORTRAN which you can hardly do in Java (FORTRAN has many Maths Intrinsic functions that java don't have), u doubt me? Even d common notepad I can develop in minutes using VB6. Depends on the type of application u are writing. then u will know what programming language suits u, I'm learning everyday, Guess what, I started with Q basic, C, Java, Javascript, PHP, AJAX, VB, and now VB.net, School is making me lazy did days, do u know u can make your windows based applications to be used on other OS. I'm currently doing my I.T in SystemSpecs, What Programming language was used in developing the software for Sim Registration?

No one is doubting your "prowess", but it doesn't answer the question or help the OP in any way. He simply wants advice on the best route to learn his craft, after which he can switch languages and use "common notepad" like you.

Na wa for some peeps sha!  lipsrsealed
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2010
i love you all. U na dey make me learn without ur knowedge. I mean constructive criticism. I need more sha
Re: Which Programming Language by logica(m): 6:55pm On Aug 05, 2010
All of them are wrong. The best languages are Yoruba and English in that order.
Re: Which Programming Language by solomon201(m): 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2010
@beaf saying JAVA is good because it runs on all platforms is like saying "anal sex is gud because it works on both sex"
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 9:23am On Aug 06, 2010
@solomon201

What then do u advice me to go for?
Re: Which Programming Language by gameaddict(m): 11:34am On Aug 06, 2010
It depends on what you intend to do and not necessarily the language. I started with java but despite all the hype, it still can't handle large programs like games which led me to c/c++. C/C++ happens to be the standard(to me) cuz it's widely used and very powerful. Almost everything can be done with it. Most of the best games and large scale software have something to do with it. Even java was developed from it. You should envision what you want to be developing in future to get an idea of what language would be suitable for it.
Re: Which Programming Language by mj(m): 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2010
gameaddict:

It depends on what you intend to do and not necessarily the language. I started with java but despite all the hype, it still can't handle large programs like games which led me to c/c++. C/C++ happens to be the standard(to me) cuz it's widely used and very powerful. Almost everything can be done with it. Most of the best games and large scale software have something to do with it. Even java was developed from it. You should envision what you want to be developing in future to get an idea of what language would be suitable for it.
You have my VOTE, 5STAR
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 3:30pm On Aug 06, 2010
@gameaddict

As regard to what i will be developing for. I intend to write business and database applications at least for the now.
Re: Which Programming Language by gameaddict(m): 4:20pm On Aug 06, 2010
If you're thinking of going into that field, I'd suggest you look into c++ and specific Microsoft programming languages and suites as a starting point because that is what most of your potential clients may be used to. I'm saying this because your job will require rapid yet stable development and Microsoft has developed a lot of libraries and tools to make things easier. Java is also an option here. The best advice I can give now is that you find someone in the specific development field and make inquiries regarding what clients demand and what tools are accepted. Some clients will want you to develop applications with a specific language or library just because it is popular so you're faced with not only the languages themselves. Also note that you may not end up developing a new application with your preferred language. You job may be to maintain and enhance existing ones and I think these are likely to be in c++, java or the Microsoft ninjas(lol, ). C++ is a good starting point in my opinion. Other languages and libraries can be learned faster after mastering it.

Maybe you should change the topic title to something that will draw professionals in the field as they'll have more experience.
Re: Which Programming Language by Beaf: 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
gameaddict:

If you're thinking of going into that field, I'd suggest you look into c++ and specific Microsoft programming languages and suites as a starting point because that is what most of your potential clients may be used to. I'm saying this because your job will require rapid yet stable development and Microsoft has developed a lot of libraries and tools to make things easier. Java is also an option here. The best advice I can give now is that you find someone in the specific development field and make inquiries regarding what clients demand and what tools are accepted. Some clients will want you to develop applications with a specific language or library just because it is popular so you're faced with not only the languages themselves. Also note that you may not end up developing a new application with your preferred language. You job may be to maintain and enhance existing ones and I think these are likely to be in c++, java or the Microsoft ninjas(lol, ). C++ is a good starting point in my opinion. Other languages and libraries can be learned faster after mastering it.

Maybe you should change the topic title to something that will draw professionals in the field as they'll have more experience.

C++ is the wrong language for developing business and database applications, that is huge overkill. It is more suited to low level stuff like graphics (debatable), kernel level apps, drivers, highly tuned real-time apps (robotics, embedded, trading floor) etc.

I would suggest C# or Java, with strong bias toward C# because of it's superior decimal type (one of the main reasons why C# overtook Java as the defacto standard for finance and banking software in the late 90's).

C# (and the .NET platform) is certainly the most RAD development environment out there, you can generally plug out an app 6 times faster in C# than in C++. A one month dev time in C# is certainly better than a six month dev time in C++ for the very same functionality.

This link provides other practical reasons to look at when making your choice http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1371634/how-dominant-is-java-c-compared-to-c-in-financial-industry
Re: Which Programming Language by gameaddict(m): 6:05pm On Aug 06, 2010
I'd say c++ is an all purpose language but it's strength is usually exhibited in the areas you mentioned. As I said before, Microsoft's ninjas may be the right way to go since a lot of research and billions have surely been used to develop them and c# as an option may be the right choice but learning c++ gives him more options because it encompasses all operating systems I know of.
Re: Which Programming Language by X2X(m): 9:57am On Aug 07, 2010
Which Programming Language? It is like asking which religion you should adopt? If you ask different people, you will get different answers.

@Beaf, quick question: Can you explain what you mean by "superior decimal type" please? How is the decimal type superior to the corresponding primitives in Java? Thanks.
Re: Which Programming Language by Beaf: 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2010
X-2-X:

Which Programming Language? It is like asking which religion you should adopt? If you ask different people, you will get different answers.

@Beaf, quick question: Can you explain what you mean by "superior decimal type" please? How is the decimal type superior to the corresponding primitives in Java? Thanks.

There are no primitive data types for handling currency or decimal types (in both C# and Java). The closest primitives in Java are the float and double types, which are grossly innadequate for financial calculations, therefore there are no "corresponding primitives".
I would rather not get into any C# vs Java argument that will last till the Sun burns up, so I'd suggest instead that you start comparisons from a very informative article with several impeccable references, it has all the answers here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Java_and_C_Sharp#Data_types
Re: Which Programming Language by friendehis(m): 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2010
OK EVERYONE, I APPRECIATE YOUR EVERY CONCERN, WHICH MEANS THE LANGUAGE IN FOCUS HERE IN REVOLVING AROUND C# AND JAVA AND MAYBE THE FATHER OF ALL PROGRAME C++.

WHAT IF I SETTLE FOR C# INSTEAD OF VB.NET

(1) (Reply)

Which I.T Related Course Could One Do Under 9 Weeks? / We Are Opening A Hub For Programmers And Graphic Artistes At Wuse 2, Abuja. / Web Programming - Using HTML5,CSS,PHP,JAVASCRIPT Wit Jquery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.