Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,583 members, 7,929,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 04:48 AM

Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men (1062 Views)

The 92 Armed Herdsmen Arrested By Soldiers At Check-points (Photos) / Bombs Fail To Detonate As Suicide Bomber Rams Into Military Check Point / What Is The Role Of Policemen At Check Point (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by chi4b82(f): 7:43am On Aug 03, 2010
Enugu Catholic Diocese protest the killing of ASP at check point
•Call for panel of enquiry
From PETRUS OBI, Enugu
Monday, August 02, 2010

Onovo
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
The Knight of St John International (KSJ) of the Enugu Catholic Diocese has sent a protest letter to the Inspector-General of Police Mr. Ogbonnaya Onovo requesting for a judicial commission of enquiry into the gruesome murder of ASP Boniface Ukwa of the State CID.

He was allegedly killed by fellow policemen at a check point in Enugu. In a petition to the IGP, the catholic group alleged that the killing was carried out by police officers of Independence Layout Police command Enugu on the night of June 22, 2010.

They recalled that the police officer who is also a Knight had attended a social meeting of the KSJ at the residence of Barrister Albert Nnamani, chairman Civil Service Commission, Enugu the day he was killed.

“The meeting ended at about 9:30 pm and the late Boniface Ukwa drove off in his old Suzuki Jeep to return to his house. He was stopped at a checkpoint mounted by the Independence Layout policemen. He identified himself and was allowed to pass. “He had not driven up to one pole when one of the policemen at the point shouted at him to stop and show proof that he was an officer. He was reported to have stopped and stepped down from the vehicle to explain his identity further when the policeman shot him on the leg.

“Having realized their mistake they decided to convey the wounded officer to their DPO who allegedly directed his men to take the wounded officer away and finish him off and claim that he was killed in a shoot out with kidnappers.”

The catholic group in the petition expressed lack of confidence in the disposition of the Enugu Police Command to investigate the matter satisfactorily “because the suspects are fellow police officers, and there is the danger that the investigating team may tend to shield or protect their colleagues.”

They expressed fears over the arrest and interrogation of all the policemen involved and called for the arrest of the DPO who they alleged is the principal suspect in the matter. “It is clear that the DPO has not been arrested; he is going scotfree while junior policemen who acted on his orders are being charged to the orderly room proceedings in the barracks,” the KSJ said.

The group called for a judicial commission to be headed by the Chief Judge to unearth the facts of the matter and ensure that all the suspected killers of the late ASP Ukwa were investigated and punished according to the law.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/aug/02/national-02-08-2010-011.htm
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by mahal(m): 8:12am On Aug 03, 2010
Lord, have mercy! sad
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Acidosis(m): 8:14am On Aug 03, 2010
Funny but sad!
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by shellicon(m): 8:40am On Aug 03, 2010
The IG shld be held responsible
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by shellicon(m): 8:45am On Aug 03, 2010
As long as i'm concerned Nigeria doesnt hv security u cant shoot anybdy In UK or US nd go free. This is unprofessionalizm in police force.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 03, 2010
Our policemen are mostly animals in human skin.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:10am On Aug 03, 2010
ziddy:

well said!
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 03, 2010
Nigeria police is a disaster to this country
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 03, 2010
this is a sad development, but on the other hand if only they would just be killing each other so that in the end we can form a police force that the average man on the streets can feel safe in their hands. if the victim were to be a "bloody civillian", would anybody set up any panel of inquiry? can u imagine the kind of police we have? one that will attempt to cover up their mistakes of shooting a fellow cop in the leg by killing him off and blaming it on kidnappers? when Sunny Okosun of blessed memory sang "which way Nigeria?", in the eighties, little did we know that that song was way ahead of its time, a premature alarm.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Fogman(m): 11:40am On Aug 03, 2010
Even as a police officer, you are not even safe with Nigerian police. God saves civilians.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by blacksta(m): 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Nigeria police is a disaster to this country
ziddy:

Great discoveries grin
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
mekula:

this is a sad development, but on the other hand if only they would just be killing each other so that in the end we can form a police force that the average man on the streets can feel safe in their hands. if the victim were to be a "bloody civillian", would anybody set up any panel of inquiry? c[b]an u imagine the kind of police we have? one that will attempt to cover up their mistakes of shooting a fellow cop in the leg by killing him off and blaming it on kidnappers?[/b] when Sunny Okosun of blessed memory sang "which way Nigeria?", in the eighties, little did we know that that song was way ahead of its time, a premature alarm.

You can't even begin to imagine how depraved & f, ked-up these guys are. Just yesterday night a team of SARS men almost killed me at Magodo. They tried to cut me off while entering the service lane at Ojota, I refused, so they tried to pull me over. I didn't even know they were policemen, their lights were too bright, so I floored it, suspecting them to be armed robbers. Because of that they chased me all the way to Magodo & almost opened fire on me. & I could sense they were all high on weed and other substances in my later interactions with them. They were wired so tight  shocked

Policemen in this country are under the ugly impression the rest of us owe them a living.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 09, 2010
ziddy:

Policemen in this country are under the ugly impression the rest of us owe them a living.
grin
[quote][/quote]

hmmmnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 09, 2010
i meant this:
ziddy:

You can't even begin to imagine how depraved & f, ked-up these guys are. Just yesterday night a team of SARS men almost killed me at Magodo. They tried to cut me off while entering the service lane at Ojota, I refused, so they tried to pull me over. I didn't even know they were policemen, their lights were too bright, so I floored it, suspecting them to be armed robbers. Because of that they chased me all the way to Magodo & almost opened fire on me. & I could sense they were all high on weed and other substances in my later interactions with them. They were wired so tight   grin

Meeeeeeen! thank God say u dey alive to relive that ordeal, not everybody gets that lucky. i guess they still had their heads a bit intact that night, if not they would have opened fire immediately u refused to stop and called you armed robber with a locally made pistol placed at your side and pieces of cloth, pins e.t.c(supposed to be charms) displayed. and by the way, them go don remove your shirt to make you look like tiff.
Re: Asp Killed At Check Point By Fellow Police Men by slap1(m): 1:05pm On Aug 09, 2010
blacksta:

Great discoveries grin
lol at the sarcasm. Well I don't bliv the whole story. Why would the DPO order the men to finish him off? He had nothing to loose when the guy was just wit a broken leg, the junior officers would be blamed. . . .but if d whole story is true, d relationship between the dead ASP and the DPO should be examined in order to get d motif for the order to kill d ASP.

(1) (Reply)

M A N Carpets Fg Over Dustbin Importation / Like Ghadaffi Like Mubarak Like Ben Alli Like Buhari ,they Are All The Same! / Oyo State Governor Alao Akala Turns Down Invitation For Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.