Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,345 members, 7,888,098 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:13 PM

My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. (962 Views)

2019 VP Debate: Uzor Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance, Reveals One Thing Ob / PDP Governors React To Peter Obi's Performance At VP Debate And Proud Of Him / Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi's Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by mekaboy(m): 10:03pm On Dec 14, 2018
Before I go on to talk about the main two contenders obi and osibanjo, I must congratulate the lady of the YPP. In deed the knowledge and the leadership capacity of professor Kinsley moghalu robbed off on her she did well.

Surely if Nigeria is ready for real change, Kinsley moghalu will be the right choice.

First Osibanjo stated clearly the being the Vice president requires a lot of patience as you might not agree with many policies of the government. This clearly confirms what Saraki and Aisha buhari said about the cabal. How can you be in a government and a policy is made that you the VP is not in support of and it is approved? It shows a lot of wrong decisions are made and the VP osibanjo has no power to correct or make an input.

Secondly Osibanjo came with the blame game which Nigerians are tired of. When u say everything going wrong in Nigeria today is as a result of the 16 years of PDP. One begins to wonder if those in APC came from another country to fix Nigeria.

Peter Obi government if allowed will be a people centered government. He gave examples of the port ports and manufacturing because both import and export depends largely on the operations. He also has figures and believes that every action taken must be measured in figures. Which is what the western world judges with.

Simple because the UN released info on out of school children, they are chased away by the military. But the osibanjo will keep telling us how many million children are fed in school.

Osibanjo under ICT said what they are doing in education curriculum, while ASU is on strike.

He said poverty grew to 80 million in 16 years but refused mention what it has become in the last 3 years. Did it increase or reduce?

Osibanjo kept emphasizing how government is spending billions to get millions out of poverty, but at the end he will stylishly dodge the figures.

He said Nigeria imported 5 million dollars of rice under PDP daily, but today we only import 2 percent of that. Why did he keep mentioning the 5 million daily but refused to mention how much Nigeria imported under APC.

The only time he got a positive figure was on the ease of doing business. He capitalized on it, but then when it was time to talk about attracting foreign investment, he blamed infrastructure and corruption of the past 16 years. This is because even will the improvement of ease of doing business, nobody wants to come to a country where the wife of the presidents tells the world he is not in charge.

Nobody wants to come to a country the presidents say they are thieves and youths are lazy. So why are we losing investors with all the government has done.

Obi seems to be on the side of the private sector, while Osibanjo does not want to go against the cabal. So he prefers a government run system of the cabal.

Finally he admits that there is subsidy and it can't be removed now.

He said a lot of we have set up a group to work in this, set up a committee to look into this, we are trying to do this and that.

But at the end of the day, the visibility and the figures to measure the effects of the efforts are not seen.

I am supporting Atiku because of Peter obi, not because he is igbos, but because he understands economics. He can simplify the process, he is more passionate about Nigeria's future. He puts national interest above personal interests.

He always talks about SMEs and real empowerment. The APC is supporting SMEs for media and reelection. Obi who is a business man, will give AMEs real support to drive the economy.

Let's give Atiku and obi a try, at least we know them. We will know they are the ones marking the decisions and not the cabal.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by socialmediaman: 10:09pm On Dec 14, 2018
Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by mekaboy(m): 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2018
Beer parlour local political praise singers like globemoney won't have anything to say here. Because it's not a drinking debate.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by Abfinest007(m): 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2018
interesting educative nice write up

1 Like

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by NIGHTMARE0O7: 10:17pm On Dec 14, 2018
You are so on point I listened to OSINBAJO fluffing him lines and beating about the bush

1 Like

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by Asshurbanipal: 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2018
Osibanjo supporters keep insulting everybody instead of intelligent analysis of the debate the way you just did
Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by Iamgrey5(m): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2018
I think we watched different debates because at no time was any cabal mentioned until a lady brought it up in her closing remarks.

Actually, it was obi that kept suggesting Ideas that were rather attractive but not realistic, while Osinbajo kept dishing out logical solutions.

Debates are not about Presenting statistics, it is about discussing real issues central to the main body of the argument.

Obi kept talking about building our industrial capacity without acknowledging the challenges that are currently preventing that from taking place.

He babbled about the Chinese at length during the whole debate to the extent of comparing our cost of production to theirs, before Osinbajo had to cut in and practically had to school him on other factors of production asides labor that affect the cost of production.

So, Mr obi kept offering simple solutions to real complex problems for most of the debate.

Although frankly, I noticed Osibanjo made mention of the 16years of PDP misrule a lot during the argument, but I guess it was because Obi tried to blame the past nineteenth years on APC tonight by complaining about the infrastructures and structures his party failed to build for Sixteen years, despite earning higher revenue during that time.

Craziness is when some people want to speak about the Biafra war that occurred decades ago, but won't want anyone talk about 16 years of misrule that just occurred.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by mekaboy(m): 11:14pm On Dec 14, 2018
Iamgrey5:
I think we watched different debates because at no time was any cabal mentioned until a lady brought it up in her closing remarks.

Actually, it was obi that kept suggesting Ideas that were rather attractive but not realistic, while Osinbajo kept dishing out logical solutions.

Debates are not about Presenting statistics, it is about discussing real issues central to the main body of the argument.

Obi kept talking about building our industrial capacity without acknowledging the challenges that are currently preventing that from taking place.

He babbled about the Chinese at length during the whole debate to the extent of comparing our cost of production to theirs, before Osinbajo had to cut in and practically had to school him on other factors of production asides labor that affect the cost of production.

So, Mr obi kept offering simple solutions to real complex problems for most of the debate.

Although frankly, I noticed Osibanjo made mention of the 16years of PDP misrule a lot during the argument, but I guess it was because Obi tried to blame the past nineteenth years on APC tonight by complaining about the infrastructures and structures his party failed to build for Sixteen years, despite earning higher revenue during that time.

Craziness is when some people want to speak about the Biafra war that occurred decades ago, but won't want anyone talk about 16 years of misrule that just occurred.

The only complex issue here is the 2 powerful men running the government. On a normal day, osibanjo would agree with obi, but because of campaign he has go play according to the script.

Like obi said, If the ports authority got funding from the stock market, there would have been expansion and efficiency. But the cabal running the government will appoint someone retired to run customs, and promote someone elsewhere as IG and hand pick another for EFCC against Senate.

That is the complexity of Nigeria problems. That cabal won't be available in the Atiku/ Obi administration..

Even buharis wife said that the things we call achievements in 4 years would have been achieved in one year, if not for the two powerful men in Aso Rock. Do you think you know what is happening in the government more than she does?

VP as osibanjo said is the chief Adviser. So how come the chief Adviser will not agree with many policies, who then is advising the president?

So the complex situations you talk about are just people and not reality.

What was complex when GEJ took the advice of okonjo iweala to end subsidy? He just made the decision, and the complex people who are in power today, staged a protest against it. Today we pay more subsidy with higher price for fuel.

I expect Osibanjo to say, we have invested 5 billion in SMEs empowerment and as a result unemployment has moved from 14% to 12%.

He did so and so in power and as a result generation has gone from 4000 to 5000.

We improved ease of doing business and as a result, have attracted this foreign investment.

Spent this on the poor and as a result, poverty has gone down by this.

Reduced rice import from $5 million daily and today we only spend $1 million.

But he only said what they spend and do and at the end he will dodge the figures. Because once he brings figures the truth will be published the next day. So as it stands today, the achievements they claim are not measurable. They are only wasting funds and creating avenues for looting.

Imagine lie mohammed saying 3.5 million is spent to feed dasuki but can't explain further.

If you bring Biafra into this discussion then I can conclude your analysis are based on emotions and not facts.

7 Likes

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by globemoney01: 11:20pm On Dec 14, 2018
mekaboy:
Beer parlour local political praise singers like globemoney won't have anything to say here. Because it's not a drinking debate.
Peter obi came out today to embarass and expose his lack of substance publicly. We Warned Atiku! grin

2 Likes

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by Iamgrey5(m): 11:42pm On Dec 14, 2018
mekaboy:

The only complex issue here is the 2 powerful men running the government. On a normal day, osibanjo would agree with obi, but because of campaign he has go play according to the script.

Like obi said, If the ports authority got funding from the stock market, there would have been expansion and efficiency. But the cabal running the government will appoint someone retired to run customs, and promote someone elsewhere as IG and hand pick another for EFCC against Senate.

That is the complexity of Nigeria problems. That cabal won't be available in the Atiku/ Obi administration..

Even buharis wife said that the things we call achievements in 4 years would have been achieved in one year, if not for the two powerful men in Aso Rock. Do you think you know what is happening in the government more than she does?

VP as osibanjo said is the chief Adviser. So how come the chief Adviser will not agree with many policies, who then is advising the president?

So the complex situations you talk about are just people and not reality.

What was complex when GEJ took the advice of okonjo iweala to end subsidy? He just made the decision, and the complex people who are in power today, staged a protest against it. Today we pay more subsidy with higher price for fuel.

I expect Osibanjo to say, we have invested 5 billion in SMEs empowerment and as a result unemployment has moved from 14% to 12%.

He did so and so in power and as a result generation has gone from 4000 to 5000.

We improved ease of doing business and as a result, have attracted this foreign investment.

Spent this on the poor and as a result, poverty has gone down by this.

Reduced rice import from $5 million daily and today we only spend $1 million.

But he only said what they spend and do and at the end he will dodge the figures. Because once he brings figures the truth will be published the next day. So as it stands today, the achievements they claim are not measurable. They are only wasting funds and creating avenues for looting.

Imagine lie mohammed saying 3.5 million is spent to feed dasuki but can't explain further.

If you bring Biafra into this discussion then I can conclude your analysis are based on emotions and not facts.
I only brought up Biafra issue to show the need to always discuss our past especially when it has a lot of bearing on our current system. It's our history.

Back to the topic

Privatizing government own enterprises in Nigeria has always been controversial because of our history and poor cooperate culture.

Hence, the privatization of certain government enterprise is easier said than done, not to talk of privatization to maximize productivity like Obi was suggesting with our ports. A number of privatized enterprise from Nitel to Nepa amongst others have only yielded more problems than actual solution. Hence, while privatization might seem attractive, it might not be practical or a total solution in itself.

Furthermore, on Subsidy removal, everyone knows how contentious the issue of total removal of subsidy had been in the past. The VP gave a realistic forecast and outline the consequences that may occur should we remove the subsidy on petroleum, he even threw a question to the populace on whether Nigerians won't mind paying extra for petroleum products. OBI on the other hand, only took the antagonist route without providing any particle solution.

On measuring the administration achievement with figures rather than policies, I am sure even the most prolific economist in the world will know that it take years before actual economic development and job growth based on industrial expansion and economic policies can be truly measured. Except we want quick fix.

Bottom line, Obi kept stating stats, drawing unprecedented comparisons with analogies and making rhetorical statements without providing realistic solutions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by mekaboy(m): 12:25am On Dec 15, 2018
Iamgrey5:
I only brought up Biafra issue to show the need to always discuss our past especially when it has a lot of bearing on our current system. It's our history.

Back to the topic

Privatizing government own enterprises in Nigeria has always been controversial because of our history and poor cooperate culture.

Hence, the privatization of certain government enterprise is easier said than done, not to talk of privatization to maximize productivity like Obi was suggesting with our ports. A number of privatized enterprise from Nitel to Nepa amongst others have only yielded more problems than actual solution. Hence, while privatization might seem attractive, it might not be practical or a total solution in itself.

Furthermore, on Subsidy removal, everyone have knows how contentious the issue of total removal had been in the past. The VP gave a realistic forecast and outline the consequences that may occur should we remove the subsidy on petroleum, he even threw a question to the populace on whether Nigerians won't mind paying extra for petroleum products. OBI on the other hand, only took the antagonist root without providing any particle solution.

On measuring the administration achievement with figures rather than policies, I am sure even the most prolific economist in the world will know that it take years before actual economic development and job growth based on industrial expansion and economic policies can be truly measured. Except we want quick fix.

Bottom line, Obi kept stating stats, drawing unprecedented comparisons with analogies and making rhetorical statements without providing realistic solutions.

So they had to finally admit that subsidy was paid after lying to Nigerians for years.

Nigerians pay more for fuel now than when GEJ wanted to remove subsidy , even with more subsidy. They did a calculation under GEJ that fuel should be sold at 40 najra because oil price fell. That calculation has since disappeared.

What obi is simply saying is that when the private sector invests in something it becomes more efficient and transparent.

So if we really want efficiency in any sector, let the private sector in. That way you become accountable not the public and not government alone.

Ringing the 16 years bell of PDP on Peter obis head is counter productive. Because Peter obi was not in the PDP for 16 years.

1 Like

Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by observanc1: 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2018
mekaboy:
that guy is terrible
Re: My Take On The 2019 VP Debate. by mekaboy(m): 9:35pm On Dec 16, 2018
observanc1:
that guy is terrible

I'm telling u.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CONFIRMED: INEC Site Shows How Buhari Benefited From Manual Voting In 2015 / Video - Other Justices Fighting New Chief Justice Of Nigeria Tanko, Cjn / Atiku Katsina Presidential Rally Is More Than Buhari Kano Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.