Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,820 members, 7,889,708 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:32 PM

The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property (752 Views)

For Legitimate Property In Kwara State Call Me / Estate Land: 5 Important Document You Must Demand From Developers / Legitimate Property For Sale In Port-harcourt: Let's Go!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property by ChineduPeters(m): 4:36pm On Dec 19, 2018
I once received a call from a prospective client informing me of his intention to sell off some plots of land at almost half its current value because he needed money urgently to execute a contract. My excitement at the possibility of a quick sale knew no bounds because I got a serious request some couple of days earlier for land in that exact location. So I immediately set up a meeting to view and familiarise myself with the location of the land and also take a look at the title documents but (un)fortunately, after going through the documents, I discovered that the survey plan isn't a registered one which simply means that there exists a possibility the land could be an illegitimate one . I asked if he did a land search before paying for the land and his answer was 'NO', because according to him, the people he bought the land from are his relatives and very trustworthy people. Well, I had to let him know that since I was coming with the buyer, I'm not going to fail to advise my client to do a search at the Lands Bureau. Long story short, we did the search and the land in question is still in the market for sale till this moment.

I never fail to tell those who care to listen that you must ensure that you know the status of your property no matter how long it has been in your possession. Knowing the status of your land eliminates all unexpected occurrence in the future. You cannot lay any claim to what is not LEGALLY yours if/when the need arises.

One of the most important documents in Real estate is the Survey. The SURVEY PLAN is a document that measures the legal boundaries of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of that land. Before you pay for ANY land, you must demand for the survey to enable you do a proper land search at the lands bureau. Then, you must get in touch with a licensed surveyor who will not only confirm the exact measurement of the land but will do a proper search on the status of the land at the surveyor general's office. This will ensure that you verify it's authenticity and guarantee your peace of mind. Also make sure you demand for the land information certificate from your Surveyor though this takes a couple of weeks before it can be processed, it is a concrete proof that you have a first hand information on status of land. 

A genuine survey must contain the following:

1) Name of owner of land

2) Size of land

3) Description of land

4) The surveyor that drew the plan and the date the survey plan was made

5) "Free from acquisition" stamp

6) Beacon numbers

Owning a property is a necessity and a luxury. Think Property, Think Real Estate, Think quality investment.
Re: The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property by Dunnytt: 6:07pm On Dec 19, 2018
Thanks,this come in handy.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property by ChineduPeters(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
Anytime �

Dunnytt:
Thanks,this come in handy.
Re: The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property by ChineduPeters(m): 12:57pm On Dec 23, 2018
Re: The Most Important Document You Need To Confirm A Legitimate Property by ChineduPeters(m): 4:50am On Oct 31, 2019
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Build This 5bedroom Bungalow Today For N7m / Plots For Sale In Harmony Estate (Nig. Airforce Estate) Eliozu, Port Harcourt / A Self-contained Room With Bed/wardrobe In Ogba At 325k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.