Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,893 members, 7,966,334 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 12:47 PM

My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man (35060 Views)

Man And His Friend Bare Their Butts At Ex's House Because She Broke Up With Him / There Is A Girl That Am Dating We Started Dating 3 Months Ago(Help) / My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Berankis: 4:53pm On Dec 23, 2018
goodmorning40:
It is not advisable to go into marriage without the consent of both families. If your family does not agree delay the marriage until u get their consent through gentle persuasions. Getting pregnant like some people adviced here will only make things worst. Marriage is not as blissful as you are viewing it now, it is a long rough road, u will need all the support u can get, being abandoned by your family through marriage is like travelling on a long road of emotional torture and pains.

That is not to say that marriage success depends on family consent but love is truly not enough for marriage.

Your parents have been around much longer, they have seen it all so their fears might not be unfounded. Consider their advice very closely.

Marrying a disabled man is not a ticket to bad life after all many married able bodied men but still live as ones with disabled husbands becos they do virtually everything by themselves alone. You just have to be sure you are ready for the challenges

Parental consent and prayers are good but I tell you they do not sustain a marriage. Your will does...

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Berankis: 4:53pm On Dec 23, 2018
goodmorning40:
It is not advisable to go into marriage without the consent of both families. If your family does not agree delay the marriage until u get their consent through gentle persuasions. Getting pregnant like some people adviced here will only make things worst. Marriage is not as blissful as you are viewing it now, it is a long rough road, u will need all the support u can get, being abandoned by your family through marriage is like travelling on a long road of emotional torture and pains.

That is not to say that marriage success depends on family consent but love is truly not enough for marriage.

Your parents have been around much longer, they have seen it all so their fears might not be unfounded. Consider their advice very closely.

Marrying a disabled man is not a ticket to bad life after all many married able bodied men but still live as ones with disabled husbands becos they do virtually everything by themselves alone. You just have to be sure you are ready for the challenges

Parental consent and prayers are good but I tell you they do not sustain a marriage. Your will does...

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by ensamy(m): 4:55pm On Dec 23, 2018
As long as the guy is independent and his disabilities didn't affect his manhood. My dear Marry him. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by MissRaine69(f): 5:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
AreaFada2:

Plenty Amstel Malt or whatever you drink my dear. cheesy grin

Her parents are more concerned about "what people will say". Not really about whether the guy is independent or not.

Society that is largely superstitious, ignorant (even the educated) and biased cannot see beyond parochial inclinations.

Does everybody has to climb many stairs daily even? Shouldn't we start thinking of the physically challenged when designing houses and offices to ease their movement?
Of course it is always about “what will people think”
The very same people that also worry about being judged by other people.
Ps
I am a Chardonnay or Chablis type of girl. wink
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by frozen70(f): 5:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Carrywent:
cryHello dear Nairalanders, please I need your help.
I created this monica account just to hear your advices.
There is this Guy I am dating, he is a disabled but not that serious. He uses wheelchair but hardworking. We both studied in the same secondary School. We were Besties, we latter turned lovers. He is an idealist, he is also independent. Before you ask his occupation. He was an author and letter turned musical producer. Like i said he is independent. He relocated to Lagos after he finished studying music production and established his own studio in Lagos.
I love him so much. He also promised to marry me and which I have also agreed to. But we are waiting after my graduation then we keep off the marriage. The problem here is my parents those not agree in our relationship. And they are seriously fighting it. Please I need your advice cry cry cry

Your case is sensitive

First of all, love is what conquer everything we do in relationship, I believe you so much love and cherish this guy and you find happiness in him.

How deep is the love this guy have for you?

Tell him what your parents feel about you getting married to him, there is nothing to hide at this stage, seek his opinion on what he thinks both of you should do about it

If he feels bad and suggest you meet a family friend that can talk sense to your parents then both of you are on the same lane

But if he feels less concerned about your report, just keep watching him and if he takes no action then its time to pull out

Secondly, don't marry on sentiment and don't marry out of pity

Thirdly, have you considered what the future holds for both of you
Are you capable of running the home since his disability has limited him, without messing around to meet up

You are the one that have the best opinion for yourself not even your parents

But make sure you guys plan well so that in the future you don't run to your parents or siblings for financial assistance

1 Like

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by 0ubenji(m): 5:16pm On Dec 23, 2018
bettercreature:
Just be very careful because you are about to make a life time decision.I am not in a position to advice you but wont allow my daughter to marry a person with disability(its impossible).It sounds cruel but that is my choice
USE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

plz ensure to not allow your child get married ever in life.. if he/she ends up disabled.
Don't give to ppl what you can't take

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by meobizy(f): 5:22pm On Dec 23, 2018
A lot of humans find it hard associating the disabled and elderly with sexual activities hence OP’s predicament.
If the story is true, the parents probably feel the husband can’t live to OP’s sexual expectation of which will cause issues later down the line. In their minds they are saving OP from a world of hurt.
As a parent I unashamedly confess that I will do the same.
This is a case of actions over words when it comes to turning their minds around. Last-last na to elope with your lover if them no gree.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by janejive(f): 5:24pm On Dec 23, 2018
IamD18:
I'm afraid you'll have to choose between your parents and the guy.

But remember; LOVE is not enough in a marriage. Common sense is important.

Well spoken
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by olubl: 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
Just pray that God will convinces them
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by mechanics(m): 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2018
It's better you stick to the one you love, you can convince them on why you love.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by smileyoo: 5:40pm On Dec 23, 2018
MissRaine69:
So the young lady in question made it clear that he is independent. He got to this stage of his life without this lady physically assisting him so why would she start bathing and carrying him around? What makes you think he cannot climb stairs?
The bottom line is as a society we are biased against people with disabilities. We assume some external forces are at play, it’s contagious and disabled people should not enjoy life as we do for one reason or the other. That is just ignorance at play.
To conclude it is your life, there is no guarantee that marrying an able bodied man will yield better results.
It might take a bit of time to convince your parents but persevere with this.
Society in general needs to look at disabled people the way you look at this man. View them as people not just focus on the wheelchair as some comments seem to be doing here.
you 're such a wise lady. sadly most nigerians approach issues, selfishly.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by mgdimagaladima(m): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2018
Its because the the guy is not rich that's why
If to say the guy is rich this drama no go happen
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by speedyconnect3: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2018
Apination:
Point of correction, he has a disability not, he's disabled. It's the wrong and outdated impression about people with disabilities that your parents are still working with, make them understand through concrete methods of his ability to cater for you in the future first. And then enlighten them on the need to have an objective view to life, not paying attention to stupid people whom I guess they feel will make jests at them undecided

Difference in the first sentence please?

None.

It's about semantics.

Some activists prefer "disabled person" Some prefer "people with disability"

See
https://www.disabled-world.com/definitions/disability-disabled.php
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by AreaFada2: 6:40pm On Dec 23, 2018
MissRaine69:

Of course it is always about “what will people think”
The very same people that also worry about being judged by other people.
Ps
I am a Chardonnay or Chablis type of girl. wink

Very correct.

Wow! You have a taste for Burgundy wines. We should go to Burgundy on wine tasting visit at some point. cheesy grin
The city of Auxerre is lovely. Or Dijon, another lovely city.
Chablis wines have less flavour & more acidic.

I slightly prefer the flavoured fruity nature of Chardonnay. Goes great with fish or poultry meals. Yum yum!
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Orpe7(m): 7:11pm On Dec 23, 2018
Carrywent:
There is this Guy I am dating, he is a disabled but not that serious. He uses wheelchair but hardworking. We both studied in the same secondary School. We were Besties, we latter turned lovers. He is an idealist, he is also independent. Before you ask his occupation. He was an author and letter turned musical producer. Like i said he is independent. He relocated to Lagos after he finished studying music production and established his own studio in Lagos.
I love him so much. He also promised to marry me and which I have also agreed to. But we are waiting after my graduation then we keep off the marriage. The problem here is my parents those not agree in our relationship. And they are seriously fighting it. Please I need your advice cry cry cry

Can he knack? If yes, go ahead.
I know a lady who just married someone with a hunchback. My pastor asked why and she said sje loved him. That if he was alright and they married and then tragedy strikes and leaves him crippled will she then leave him?
Follow what God says. U wont be the first
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
stop it man. I have a disabled cousin who is married. He never needs help for anything not even to go up the stairs. He drives himself.

Okay..congrats...

Disable get level...shébi u know
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:31pm On Dec 23, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Maybe right...

Because this government's policy is not supportive of the disabled. You can not do the job of government grin
My boo doesn't have time for government he is independent. Not even his parents gives him, he gives them and he gives people instead
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:32pm On Dec 23, 2018
infogenius:
Op.
Congratulations as u have someone who wants to marry you and vice versa.
Between now and ur graduation, engage faithfully in prayers. Prayer is the key.
Between now and then, God shall settle u with the best answer to this issue.
All the best.
thanks you
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
mikejj:
good one i celebrate you..but ask yourself the bitter question...can you live with a disable person for the next 100 years of your life...??
yes
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
lordimmaogidi:
Serious!!! If those Men On wheel Chair F*ck you ehhhh,You will be in heaven...
lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:34pm On Dec 23, 2018
SixDividedByTwo:
sounds like you really love him and he loves you too. if you leave him you might not find another love like him again and you're going to regret it.

I love him so much
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
stop it man. I have a disabled cousin who is married. He never needs help for anything not even to go up the stairs. He drives himself.
mine does everything for himself
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
Tadhg:

It shows. It's written all over your post and it's heartwarming. Forge ahead with the relationship, girl. Cheers.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by mikejj(m): 7:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
Carrywent:
yes
alright dearie..i pray ur parents understand your heart..wish u well
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 7:37pm On Dec 23, 2018
0ubenji:
plz ensure to not allow your child get married ever in life.. if he/she ends up disabled.
Don't give to ppl what you can't take
Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Apination(m): 7:49pm On Dec 23, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Difference in the first sentence please?

None.

It's about semantics.

Some activists prefer "disabled person" Some prefer "people with disability"

See
https://www.disabled-world.com/definitions/disability-disabled.php

Thanks.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:06pm On Dec 23, 2018
Carrywent:
mine does everything for himself
tor... Being disabled doesn't mean they are helpless. Most of them are even more active than most normal people.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
1StopRudeness:

Okay..congrats...

Disable get level...shébi u know
my cousin is paralysed from the waist down. He had polio as a kid. He has always been in a wheelchair for as long as I've known him and they now have a daughter.
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by Carrywent: 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
tor... Being disabled doesn't mean they are helpless. Most of them are even more active than most normal people.
Thanks for your noticing
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by robosky02(m): 8:24pm On Dec 23, 2018
Carrywent:

If you are compactable wit him go ahead
I once had a music teacher in second shcool he got married to a cripple lady today if you see her in her jeep today you wil never believe

Only make your parents understand you
Re: My Parents Chased Me Out Of The House Because I Am Dating A Disabled Man by MissRaine69(f): 8:25pm On Dec 23, 2018
AreaFada2:

Very correct.

Wow! You have a taste for Burgundy wines. We should go to Burgundy on wine tasting visit at some point. cheesy grin
The city of Auxerre is lovely. Or Dijon, another lovely city.
Chablis wines have less flavour & more acidic.

I slightly prefer the flavoured fruity nature of Chardonnay. Goes great with fish or poultry meals. Yum yum!
Well there is a surprise....
Depends which Chablis you try but I like them.
A Sauternes is my guilty pleasure
I am slowly building a collection
Mostly reds as they keep longer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Relationship Is Static. Mature Minds Only Please / The Trend Of Public Proposal Amidst It's Dicey Nature / My Fiancé Wants To Call It A Quit Because I Don't Relate With His Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.