Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,772 members, 7,889,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:18 PM

Opinion | Why Abortion Should Not Be Legalized - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion | Why Abortion Should Not Be Legalized (362 Views)

Abortion Should Be Legalized Everywhere In Africa / Why Abortion Should Be Legal In Nigeria / Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion | Why Abortion Should Not Be Legalized by qwenu: 8:11pm On Dec 23, 2018
In case you do not know, an abortion is a medical/surgical procedure used to end a pregnancy and cause the death of the fetus (definition from Merriam Webster dictionary).

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions –meaning that about 125,000 abortions are performed daily. This is statistic is incredibly alarming.

However, women abort for so many reasons such as, if the fetus threatens the life of the mother, fetal impairment, rape, incest, etcetera. Regardless, I am of the opinion that abortion should not be legalized for various reasons that will be discussed below. Please note that my opinion is not to judge anyone but to clearly state where I stand on this agelong matter. Please feel free to send us your rebuttal to this email: editor@qwenu.com

Life is sacred

From the yearly abortion statistics above, it shows that those involved in it have no regard for life. Whereas life is sacred, no man has the right to take the life of another person. Life is an inalienable right that must be freely lived. This is exactly what the pro-choice who keep advocating abortion do not realize. They believe that life begins at birth when it is obvious that life begins at conception. Hence, it is a murder to commit abortion. The fetus is a life.

The health of the woman

The pro-choice have argued that if the fetus threatens the life of the woman, she can abort it. I am still not comfortable with this argument because what if her uterus is damaged in the process or subsequent complicated health issues arise? However, western medicine has advanced to a stage whereby, if the fetus threatens the life of the mother, other medical options that will save both of them can be put into consideration.

Psychological implication

Apart from the health danger abortion poses, it also has psychological and emotional implications on the woman. Probably she might live throughout her life feeling guilty of committing abortion. And if she has a tender conscience, the thought of murdering https://qwenu.com/2018/12/22/opinion-why-abortion-should-not-be-legalized/

1 Like

Re: Opinion | Why Abortion Should Not Be Legalized by Makito015(m): 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2018
Abortion shouldn't be lagalized
Re: Opinion | Why Abortion Should Not Be Legalized by CreepyBlackpool: 8:41pm On Dec 23, 2018
abortion SHOULD be legalised

(1) (Reply)

. / Itchy Raches On My Hand / Will Women With Anal Fissure Experience Pain During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.