Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,737 members, 7,875,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:17 PM

When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? (749 Views)

Wholesale/retail Grocery Items For Your Households / Get Your Borehole Drilled Today And Start Using The Water The Next Day. / Something Common To Most Nigerian Households Parents And Guardians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 11:03pm On Jan 01, 2019
Very few Nigerians use solar energy.

I've been doing some research about solar energy and im rally surprised why we are yet to fully embrace It.

Obvious Facts about Solar Energy.

It is a tested and trusted alternative source of power.

It is clean, no noise, no fumes or smoke.

We have enough sunlight in Lagos and all around Nigeria.

It is cheaper on the long term. No need to buy fuel, minimal repairs too.

Now why are we still using the noisy generators?

Why are we avoiding solar energy to power our houses?

I will be glad if we can have a conversation.......

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by SUPERPACK: 11:27pm On Jan 01, 2019
The answer is ignorance. we have become so accustomed to AC devices, which consumes much power, and are too heavy to be powered by affordable solar systems. People arent aware of power efficient DC electronics that are now the latest. Secondly there is little or no public enlightenment concerning how solar will save money for us on the long run.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by LadySarah: 3:05am On Jan 02, 2019
Affordability.Not everyone is boxed up like you guys.
Last Yr we called them to install for us and they charged #300k.I was aghast even when I was told it won't even be able to power my freezer .

So with the non existent light I my area then,if we opt for this,how do I preserve my food?
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 8:08am On Jan 02, 2019
SUPERPACK:
The answer is ignorance. we have become so accustomed to AC devices, which consumes much power, and are too heavy to be powered by affordable solar systems. People arent aware of power efficient DC electronics that are now the latest. Secondly there is little or no public enlightenment concerning how solar will save money for us on the long run.

Interesting....
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 8:14am On Jan 02, 2019
LadySarah:
Affordability.Not everyone is boxed up like you guys.
Last Yr we called them to install for us and they charged #300k.I was aghast even when I was told it won't even be able to power my freezer .

So with the non existent light I my area then,if we opt for this,how do I preserve my food?

Solar purchase is more expensive than the regalar generator. However its cheaper on thè long run.

Just calculate the cost of petrol and generator repairs over time.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by meobizy(f): 5:26pm On Jan 02, 2019
I hear it’s expensive, I understand. My problem is maintenance. I hear one has to always wipe the panels at least once a week to keep them clean from dirt. I also read here that our sunlight is too hot and may damage the components. If I am going to spend the same amount for a generating set or more on solar panels they should find a way to maintain themselves. I am a working man and may forget to clean the panels for two - three weeks running.
Batteries are another wahala. There are too many fakes in the market. My intercom system at home runs properly for two months maximum before shutting off five minutes after power failures. The cause? Fake batteries.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 11:52pm On Jan 02, 2019
meobizy:
I hear it’s expensive, I understand. My problem is maintenance. I hear one has to always wipe the panels at least once a week to keep them clean from dirt. I also read here that our sunlight is too hot and may damage the components. If I am going to spend the same amount for a generating set or more on solar panels they should find a way to maintain themselves. I am a working man and may forget to clean the panels for two - three weeks running.
Batteries are another wahala. There are too many fakes in the market. My intercom system at home runs properly for two months maximum before shutting off five minutes after power failures. The cause? Fake batteries.

Thanks for your opinion.

No need to wipe panels. It's not necessary.

Extreme sunlight can damage a mono crystalline panel in hot regions like Abuja, Kogi and other northern states. So they use poly crystalline panels in such regions. That settles it.

Better quality is a real issue. However trusted and tested brands exist.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by CodeTemplar: 12:04am On Jan 03, 2019
Solar is good and its cost has been crashing down steadily over the last decade. It is best if the user is power usage conscious.

some energy bulbs are 10 tines more efficient than the old type in use.

Some countries in America and Asia are having bulk solar energy selling companies offer them as low as N20/kwh equivalent of electricity.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 12:27am On Jan 03, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Solar is good and its cost has been crashing down steadily over the last decade. It is best if the user is power usage conscious.

some energy bulbs are 10 tines more efficient than the old type in use.

Some countries in America and Asia are having bulk solar energy selling companies offer them as low as N20/kwh equivalent of electricity.

I agree with you.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by jesmond3945: 12:42am On Jan 03, 2019
This is a good thread. Seun should move it to frontpage
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Using Solar Energy For Households? by mrsage(m): 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
This is a good thread. Seun should move it to frontpage

Sounds like a good idea....

(1) (Reply)

Woman Allegedly Defaces Her Brother’s Maid With A Hot Iron (graphic Photo) / . / Best Baby Cereals In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.