Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,920 members, 7,883,212 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 06:24 AM

Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. (1070 Views)

Jaguar Land Rover April Sales Dropped By 13% At 39,185 Units / Motorcyclist Used CD As The Side Mirror For His Motorcycle In Ondo State. / Authomatic And Manual Cars,which One Lasts Longer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by Kayharry(m): 11:31pm On Jan 02, 2019
At some point, owning a Honda CD 185 was the greatest ambition of many in my generation when we were growing up in the early 80's.

This was the PJ of our dream.

Is life not ironic, with our minds playing tricks on us?

I remember when the best way to announce that you are a real man was to own a tokunbo Mercedes Benz 230 "flat booth"......that was before the Mercedes Benz 190 craze.

I can't forget the segregative powers of the Honda Accord 92 model...

Then the Pontiac "Onu Azu". that turned ala Owerre into something else....that was before Hummer made a grand entry, and young men learned ways to sell their souls to own one, while young ladies sacrificed ovaries to sit in front of one.

I remember at the unveiling of the Hummer H2, a journalist asked the GM Spokesperson about the fuel efficient consumption of the new vehicle.... arrogantly, she replied that "those who drive Hummer do not lose sleep over its fuel consumption".

I marvelled at such assured arrogance disguised as confidence. Little did she know that the fuel guzzler will be laid to rest mostly as a result of that greedy appetite for fuel. Well, that was before fracking and shale oil changed the market dynamics. If GM had a futurist.

Then at one time, if you are man enough, you should buy a Toyota Corolla "First Lady" for your wife so she can oppress those whose husbands were not man enough.

You remember that mersh satellite dish? The one you need to show the whole world that you have cable TV?

How time flies....

Someone once told me that I shouldn't talk where people who have Nokia 3310 are talking. Then the Samsung "Blue Eye" came to shut him up.

Then the flip phones.....

Remember Hello Moto....of Motorola. Infact, I know someone who messed up her relationship because she wanted to own a Motorola Razr....

But before then, young men who were fortunate to land them oil company, finance house, and bank jobs in the 90's harassed their less fortunate friends with a Pager....they carried it with pompous arrogance...then the 090 phones came O' Lawd.....

But I was a kid when owning a Raleigh Bicycle was luxury. I survived that, then VW Beetle was sold for N2500, and it was the height of it.

Then we worshipped the grounds on which a Mercedes Benz 280 S drove on. You could only have such privilege if you stand by the road side when men like Eze Desmond Oguguo, Eze F.U. Anyanwu, Eze D.N.Abii, and the likes are coming for an event.

Then in 1980, Shagari visited Mbaise, and my dad took me to see the President, I was 10. I saw a Mercedes Benz 500 SEL. That was the end of discussion.....I never knew the discussion would continue...

I grew up at a time when God blessed an entire village with the privilege of one Black & White television. Sunday afternoons will see kids from far and near coming to watch Mighty Igor, Mil Mascara, Argentina Polo, Andre The Giant....oh Lawd....

Driving thru my village the other day, I saw many signs advertising the Liverpool/Arsenal match at different viewing centres. These kids wouldn't be able to comprehend that time was, when over 50 people gather around one transitor radio to listen to football commentaries, especially when Rangers played IICC Shooting Stars.

As a kid, you dream of the day you'd buy a whole chicken and eat all alone. It was a very lucid dream. Then you grow up, capable of buying an entire poultry, but the sight of a chicken lap irritates you because you must cut down on cholesterol.

The first time I entered an air-conditioned vehicle I almost passed out. What a marvel.

Then I read about Cheese for so long, then I ate it and was very disappointed.

Life.

--Credit: Kelechi D

4 Likes

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by sultaan(m): 11:38pm On Jan 02, 2019
Good write up remind me of the old days

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by phorget(m): 11:55pm On Jan 02, 2019
If life is what money can buy,the rich would live forever. Its so unfortunate that some people won't realize that that thing they are willing to kill for would become obsolete in no time.
Be contented with what you can afford.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 03, 2019
Nice write up sir.. I remember the craze of the Hummer H2 when was first launched in Nigeria. One rich man by the name of IZUEGO owned 2 of it. A yellow and wine coloured Hummer. I always stand in awe of it's sheer size whenever it passed by. But where is Hummer today? It's now a defunct company.. As do all things that pass away, our Mercedes S-Classes and Phantoms will all pass away someday.
Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by weyreypey: 6:16am On Jan 03, 2019

These kids wouldn't be able to comprehend that time was, when over 50 people gather around one transitor radio to listen to football commentaries, especially when Rangers played IICC Shooting Stars.

Your beef with the Yoruba has been a legendary communal thing..

2 Likes

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by weyreypey: 6:17am On Jan 03, 2019
dumo1:
Nice write up sir.. I remember the craze of the Hummer H2 when was first launched in Nigeria. One rich man by the name of IZUEGO owned 2 of it. A yellow and wine coloured Hummer. I always stand in awe of it's sheer size whenever it passed by. But where is Hummer today? It's now a defunct company.. As do all things that pass away, our Mercedes S-Classes and Phantoms will all pass away someday.

Oga remove Mercedes Benz S Klasse from your list. It is the only car other vehicles want to be like.

1 Like

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by RZArecta2(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2019
Seun Egbegbe stole Iphone 6 phones not knowing more improved versions will be released and even Huawei will have a phone worth over 700k. We thank God for our yesterday and pray to Him for a better tomorrow cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honda CD-185, Nothing Lasts For Ever. by lilkech(m): 6:54am On Jan 03, 2019
Tik . . . Tok . . . Tik . . . Tok . . .

TIME

they say it waits for NOBODY, and that’s why we need to work hard to become SOMEBODY

on TIME . . .

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2005 Direct On Belt Honda Accord Need To Be Sold Today @ A Give Away Pri / Putin’s Limo Can Transform Into A Bomb-proof Submarine / Help! Buying My First Car This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.