Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,740 members, 7,915,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 03:33 PM

Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl (704 Views)

Nigerian Air Force Strikes Boko Haram Terrorist’s Vehicle Workshop / Rivers Poll : Tribunal Strikes Out APC's Application / Ijaw-Graduates Give Chevron A 7-day Ultimatum On Employment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by Gayigaskia(m): 2:24pm On Aug 09, 2010

msnbc.com contributor
updated 10 minutes ago
Share Print Font:
The changes in Kiera’s body scared her parents. Though the 8-year-old seemed her usual chipper self, she’d started to develop headaches and acne. More alarming to her mom, Sharon, were the budding bosoms on Kiera’s thin little chest.
“I thought, she’s too young,” remembers the Pittsburgh mom. “She’s still fearful about sleeping by herself. An 8-year-old just isn’t mature enough to handle this.”
For Kiera, whose last name is being withheld to protect her privacy, it was all so embarrassing. None of her friends seemed to be experiencing what she was. When they asked about the acne and her expanding chest, Kiera was evasive. “I didn’t want to tell them what was going on,” says the Pittsburgh girl, now age 9. “So I had to kind of lie to them.”
When Kiera’s parents took their daughter to the doctor, he assured them that nothing was wrong with the girl. Kiera was simply starting puberty early.
As it turns out, puberty at age 7 or 8 isn’t so unusual these days. A new study, published Monday in the journal Pediatrics, shows that more American girls are maturing earlier and earlier. Typically, U.S. girls hit puberty around age 10 or 11.
Exactly what this shift means for girls isn’t clear yet — either on a group or individual level.  But there are budding concerns. For instance, studies have linked an early start to menstruation with an elevated risk of bosom cancer. And other research has shown that girls who go through puberty early tend to have lower self-esteem and a poor body image. They are also more likely to engage in risky behaviors which can result in unplanned pregnancies, experts say.
The possible link to bosom cancer was what sparked the new study. To take a long-term look at the impact of puberty and other factors on bosom cancer, researchers enrolled 1,239 girls between the ages of 6 and 8 from three sites in the U.S.: New York’s East Harlem, the greater Cincinnati metropolitan area and the San Francisco Bay area.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38600414/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

I hate to say this but this seems to defend the crazy senator Yerima supporters.
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by tollu: 2:47pm On Aug 09, 2010
This aint news, I was sprouting br3asts at 7.

So the fact that a child's body has been 'stricken' by puberty means she's ripe for an agbaya's Pen!s?
Yerima's supporters still have no ground I must say
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by slap1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2010
Did it strike her like thunder, as in she woke up and saw a chest-full of udara fruits?
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by Spyker: 3:10pm On Aug 09, 2010
slap1:

Did it strike her like thunder, as in she woke up and saw a chest-full of udara fruits?
grin
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by TippyTop(m): 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2010
Are u ppl sick?
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by phantom(m): 3:22pm On Aug 09, 2010
this not news now! actually earlier ages of menarche have been linked with better nutrition in those countries but more importantly, 'evolution' is wats happenin, though like the sickle cell gene,i doubt this one has anything good bout it wit its predisposition to endometrial. ca
Re: Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl by NaijaSisi(f): 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2010
tollu:

This aint news, I was sprouting br3asts at 7.

So the fact that a child's body has been 'stricken' by puberty means she's ripe for an agbaya's Pen!s?
Yerima's supporters still have no ground I must say

Exactly!

nothin spesh/amazin about this piece of news.

(1) (Reply)

More Confusion, Even After Igbo Summit / Bomb Blasts: Northern Politicians Move For Jonathan’s Impeachment •consult Reps / What Is The Meaning Of Northern Consensus Candidate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.