Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,182 members, 7,880,685 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:21 AM

Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? (54305 Views)

Does A Local Government Chairman Earn More Than A University Vice-chancellor?? / NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Ishilove: 10:30am On Jan 05, 2019
What a morbid topic embarassed
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by peroristic(m): 10:30am On Jan 05, 2019
please how can i stay on top water without sinking..
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by ikemesit4477: 10:32am On Jan 05, 2019
Nice point ! But I think there are supernatural forcing controlling the oceans, that we human cannot explain! And that is why mermaid exist!
naunasabi:

I think that most people that drown in that river all swim around a specific place which makes the distance from where they drown to where the bodies are usually spotted approx same for all the victim. Given that as soon as they drown the process of sinking and resurfacing after drowning will take approx same time in victims of relatively same body size hence the reappearance of the bodies at almost the same spot if the process from drowning to sinking and resurfacing were not disturbed.

As per murdered victim first the person is already death before being placed in the water with all air in the lungs mostly gone. Secondly the murderer may deposit in such a way that the body will remain submerged and never found or to drift far away from the place where the body was dumped to avoid suspicion. Either of these two actions will always produce different spotting spots since the murders were never in an agreement to always drop of their victim at a specific spots so that they can all pop up at the same place.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by francdec4(m): 10:32am On Jan 05, 2019
I think this is due to the phenomenon called Osmosis. As the dead body stays longer in the water, the skin cells begin to die off from the effect of no oxygen (anoxia) and lack of nutrients (which usually is maintained by blood circulation and adequate oxygenation from the lungs which at that moment has already being flooded with water). More water thus migrate through the now very porous skin layers into the higher concentrated intracellular & extracellular spaces which has higher concentration due to the chemical component of the body tissues. With time there is attainment of equal concentration in both the water and the dead body at which point the body floats.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by eventsmallchops: 10:33am On Jan 05, 2019
Konki:

Then what causes floatation when swimming!?

because you are actively moving your hands and legs, if you don't move them while in the water, one will definitely sink.
my opinion though.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by TRUEBLOOD59(m): 10:38am On Jan 05, 2019
viscosity and upthrust
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by TRUEBLOOD59(m): 10:44am On Jan 05, 2019
peroristic:
please how can i stay on top water without sinking..
before floating can occur., the upthrust exerted by the water must be equal to the weight of ur body
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by naunasabi: 10:44am On Jan 05, 2019
ikemesit4477:
Nice point ! But I think there are supernatural forcing controlling the oceans, that we human cannot explain! And that is why mermaid exist!

Bro there is no mermaid anywhere?

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by ikemesit4477: 10:46am On Jan 05, 2019
naunasabi:

Bro there is no mermaid anywhere?
who told you?
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Doyin2(m): 10:52am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats
Best attempt, I think.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Topmaike007(m): 10:54am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:
Good question, here are the reasons,

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

Next time GOOGLE will go a long way to help you!
It doesn't disappoint, atleast , most times!
aside from politics matter so you Sabi book like this
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by thunderbabs: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2019
Excuse me Google Scientists, why do females pretend like they don't fart at all? shocked
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Grupo(m): 11:48am On Jan 05, 2019
Topmaike007:
aside from politics matter so you Sabi book like this

He copied that from quora. A buhari supporter cannot be that intelligent.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Fretchy: 11:50am On Jan 05, 2019
ProsperChild:
First of all this is a nice question hope u guys satisfy with my answer there are so many explanations of floating deadbodies in water ….I want explanation to be simple and liable for study ……

Biological reason of floating deadbodies...

Who can crack this mystery.

When someone dies, their body is unable to maintain a stable environment, and the immune system is obviously not helping any longer. Thus begins the long process of decomposition, in which bacteria both inside and outside the body begin to break down the integrity of the body’s cells. This body is also known as putrefaction, which is the series of physical, chemical and biological processes that will eventually fulfill the whole “ashes to ashes, dust to dust” destiny of the human body.

Just because the body dies, however, that doesn’t mean that the bacteria inside the body have also perished. All they need is a food source, and can even operate anaerobically in the absence of oxygen. The sugar and protein found in the body’s gut, soft tissues, muscles and other decomposable areas will be consumed gradually by this bacteria, but there is an output to this process – gas. Ammonia, hydrogen, methane and carbon dioxide are all released by these bacteria as they slowly break down a body. This gas has nowhere to go, however, and will begin to fill up other parts of the body.

As the body slowly begins to swell and rot, that newly formed gas develops the same penchant for buoyancy as oxygen, which eventually raises the corpse back to the surface of your favorite swimming hole. The volume of the body will notably increase, but the person’s weight will not, thus making it easier for the body to float. After initially sinking, the body will return to the surface within a few hours, or it could take days – even weeks!

When the corpse does come back up, packed with gas and often bloated beyond recognition, the fresh gas buildup can be relieved. The corpse may rupture because of the air pressure inside, or the gas will simply escape in a more normal way. At this point, the body may sink for a second time, only to have the decomposition and putrefaction process to continue, filling the body with gas and eventually sending it up – a (somewhat) endless cycle.

To press this morbid subject a bit further; most dead bodies are seen floating face-down, and there is actually a good reason for that. Since the gut and chest cavity have the most bacteria, the most bloating will occur there, and any float back to the surface will be led by these buoyant areas of the body. Based on human anatomy, the limbs and head tend to fall/bend forward, rather than backward, so dead bodies in water seem to naturally orient themselves in the face-down position, in the majority of cases, unless you’re an otter, of course.

While decomposition is almost inevitable for anyone who dies, the process occurs even slower underwater, and is particularly sluggish at extremely cold temperatures. This means it would take longer for the gas to re-fill the cavities and raise the body to the surface. So, if you are ever in the unfortunate position of having to dispose of a body, and you don’t want it popping back up within a few days (or even sooner), be sure that the water body is as cold as possible – and maybe even add some “cement shoes” for good measure
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by sulmeza(m): 11:53am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats
Succinct! Thumbs up.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Greatfullheart: 11:56am On Jan 05, 2019
According to Isaac Newton's 3rd Law of Motion. To Every Force there's is a Equal and Oppossite Reaction:-)
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by linearity: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2019
jidxin:
What mystery are you cracking.... I'm sure google is still working

No, dey wen on holiday, america gofment haff shutting down since fifteen day.

Trumpy boi even say him will declare National state of emergency and build da wall...go googi wen on strike.

smiley
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by diadem10: 1:40pm On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Oga barbecue, all this your epistle sef.
Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body
Simple. Dead body floats because it's bloated just like a coconut floats on water because it's bloated.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by diadem10: 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
MrSix:
I still remember physics so? Errrm
The condition for floating to occur is only when the density of the body is less than the medium it would float in or on. This all centres of the mass to volume ratio of the body.
When the body is alive, due to absence of air, the mass to volume ratio is above 1g/cm3 (density of water). So it sinks. However, when the person dies, water enters the body which causes an increase in volume, thus decrease in density of the body and a corresponding increase in the upthrust acting against the body. So it floats.

Errrm...I try 100/10

Need a laptop?
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery.
Details in my signature.
lol. A body float when it displaces its own weight. A bloated body would do that. That's why a ship/boat can float.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by DOD1: 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
ok
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by jerflakes(m): 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2019
anochuko01:
the spirit get weight naa. especially fat people

grin

grin

This guy eh

grin

You're a comedian

3 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by medropoly(m): 2:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
make una go ask dead body grin grin grin
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by 3kay945(m): 4:36pm On Jan 05, 2019
MobilityExpress:

"Mysteriously" speaking, the answer is FEAR! When you want to learn swimming, the first thing you will be taught is to overcome fear of water, to let go of your fear of water, then you begin to float immediately you let go of the fear. People who swim have no fear of water in them but people who don't know how to swim carry fear. It is the "weight" of the fear that makes them drown. But a dead body has no fear of the water anymore, so it floats. I hope with this mysterious explanation I have mysteriously cracked your mystery grin

I think you were able to answer the question psychologically and not scientifically inclined.
However, it can be linked. cool
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Topmaike007(m): 8:53pm On Jan 05, 2019
Grupo:

He copied that from quora. A buhari supporter cannot be that intelligent.
lolz

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by sapeleboi(m): 12:18am On Jan 06, 2019
ask google I take God beg you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daughter Of Late President Of Nigerian Prostitutes Graduates Best in Maths / What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.