Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,168 members, 7,880,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:53 PM

American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear (1174 Views)

British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards / No Ceasefire In Gaza No Votes For You- American Muslims Threaten President Biden / Facebook Lifts Trump's Indefinite Suspension, Places 2-Year Ban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by TheSaxophonist: 7:36pm On Jan 05, 2019
Rules were finally changed to allow Omar, a Muslim sworn in on the Qur’an, to wear a religious head covering on the floor of the House, as Ilhan Omar on Thursday became the first member of the US Congress to wear a hijab. There had been a 181-year ban on headwear of any type in the chamber.

“No one puts a scarf on my head but me,” she tweeted last November. “It’s my choice – one protected by the first amendment. And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift.”
Omar, a Democrat, was part of a historically diverse freshman class in the 116th Congress sworn in amid cheers and jubilation. The House now has a record 102 women and a new generation of Muslims, Latinos, Native Americans and African Americans, more closely resembling the US population and set to take on Donald Trump in a new era of divided government. But on the Republican side, the House still consists mostly of white men.

Omar, 36, from Minnesota, tweeted: “As a kid, I acted as my grandfather’s translator at our caucuses and he was the one who first sparked my interest in politics. I wish he could be here to witness this historic moment, but he was here in spirit as I placed my hand on his Quran for the ceremonial swearing in.”

The congresswoman further said she was one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress. The other was Rashida Tlaib, who did not wear a hijab. Tlaib took the oath on a Qur’an – a 1734 English translation that belonged to the former president Thomas Jefferson.

More:
https://insiderpostonline./2019/01/05/american-muslims-celebrate-as-congress-lifts-181-year-ban-on-headwear/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Cajal(m): 7:44pm On Jan 05, 2019
TheSaxophonist:
Rules were finally changed to allow Omar, a Muslim sworn in on the Qur’an, to wear a religious head covering on the floor of the House, as Ilhan Omar on Thursday became the first member of the US Congress to wear a hijab. There had been a 181-year ban on headwear of any type in the chamber.

“No one puts a scarf on my head but me,” she tweeted last November. “It’s my choice – one protected by the first amendment. And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift.”
Omar, a Democrat, was part of a historically diverse freshman class in the 116th Congress sworn in amid cheers and jubilation. The House now has a record 102 women and a new generation of Muslims, Latinos, Native Americans and African Americans, more closely resembling the US population and set to take on Donald Trump in a new era of divided government. But on the Republican side, the House still consists mostly of white men.

Omar, 36, from Minnesota, tweeted: “As a kid, I acted as my grandfather’s translator at our caucuses and he was the one who first sparked my interest in politics. I wish he could be here to witness this historic moment, but he was here in spirit as I placed my hand on his Quran for the ceremonial swearing in.”

The congresswoman further said she was one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress. The other was Rashida Tlaib, who did not wear a hijab. Tlaib took the oath on a Qur’an – a 1734 English translation that belonged to the former president Thomas Jefferson.

More:
https://insiderpostonline./2019/01/05/american-muslims-celebrate-as-congress-lifts-181-year-ban-on-headwear/
...congratulations to her
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Abfinest007(m): 7:44pm On Jan 05, 2019
mature n beautiful as well
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by BabangidaHamza(m): 7:50pm On Jan 05, 2019
Buhari want to islamtize America

4 Likes

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Ehiscotch(m): 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2019
This thread won't make many nairalanders day.

2 Likes

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by abokibuhari: 8:03pm On Jan 05, 2019
Democrats are islamists trying to infiltrate USA

Thank God for Trump

4 Likes

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Heartbender: 8:12pm On Jan 05, 2019
The end of America has truly begun. The prophecy is being fulfilled. Europe would fall. America would fall. Russia would rise and the end shall come
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by mu2sa2: 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2019
BabangidaHamza:
Exactly, bros! It was after Pmb's visit that a Muslim woman was elected to US Congress.

1 Like

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Omnipresent(m): 9:02pm On Jan 05, 2019
BabangidaHamza:
Good luck to him as long as it's not igboland.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by delpee(f): 9:23pm On Jan 05, 2019
Thomas Jefferson had a Quran because he wanted to understand the reasoning behind the raids of the Barbary Pirates who were Arab Muslims. It's an interesting story for those who may want to Google and read.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Babangees(m): 9:40pm On Jan 05, 2019
; thats good and this is a trigger of many thank Almighty God.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Sirjamo: 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2019
The next president of Ohanaeze Indigbo will be Igbo Muslim
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Stalwert: 10:03pm On Jan 05, 2019
While in Nigeria many bigots follow extremist white supremacists in their hatred of other people and cultures to wage a doomed war against muslims and their rights to dress which in no way affects anybody.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Nyamuriflathead: 10:59pm On Jan 05, 2019
Its Disheartening To think that the rights of muslims are Much More respected In countries where adherents of the islamic faith Constitute A Minimal Percetage of the total population, Compared To Nigeria Where Muslims Constitute Over 55% Of The Total Population And It Is Regarded A Social Offense To Wear D Hijab.
Nigerian Christians Are D Most Fanatical, Hate Filled, Islamophobic And Sentimentally Driven In D Entire Universe.

We Claim To Practice Democracy Adopted From The US, Yet Respect For Peoples Beliefs Seems Difficult To Uphold.

May God Purnish The Missionaries And Colonial Masters For Coercing Us With A Bunch Of Hateful Souls.

They Claim To Be Yeshua's Followers Yet Their Abysmal, Unrepentant And Unreceptive Characters Is Diametrically Opposite To Whats Written In Their Scriptures.

They Insult And Humiliate Muslims Online And Brand Us Intolerant Jihadists, Yet Its Obvious Who's Intoleran

I'm Happy Discrimination Against Muslims Can Never Come To Play In D North Like It Is Prevalent In D South.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Efewestern: 4:19am On Jan 06, 2019
Nyamuriflathead:
Its Disheartening To think that the rights of muslims are Much More respected In countries where adherents of the islamic faith Constitute A Minimal Percetage of the total population, Compared To Nigeria Where Muslims Constitute Over 55% Of The Total Population And It Is Regarded A Social Offense To Wear D Hijab.
Nigerian Christians Are D Most Fanatical, Hate Filled, Islamophobic And Sentimentally Driven In D Entire Universe...

Nigerian Muslims don't not constitute 55% of our population, stop the lies already.

You are an hypocrite, you talked about right of Muslims in Nigeria, whereas you guys are the first to implement your sharia law in Northern Nigeria without respecting the wishes of non Muslim in those states, but you want to be treated like kings in other regions.

We should learn to live and let's live.

3 Likes

Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by panafrican(m): 10:34am On Jan 06, 2019
Muslims will soon ask for Ramadan holiday, then block all the streets on Fridays for prayers, then those loud speakers will feel the air every morning in every American city, preventing people to sleep.
After that you will see America on the Middle East map, just like Nigeria.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by Vtrd: 8:30pm On Jan 06, 2019
These guys always want to change the place they are to the place that they ran from.

Where is the sense in that?
America was great before your parents came. Why do you want to change their way of life?
The way of life that made their country so attractive so that your father could come in as an immigrant.
If Islam was so great, your father would not be running into America.

This is why Trump won. Real Americans don't recognise their country anymore.
Re: American Muslims Celebrate As Congress Lifts 181-year Ban On Headwear by austine4real(m): 11:07pm On Jan 06, 2019
islsmisbad

run for cover

(1) (Reply)

Ukrainian Forces Captured Stockpiles Of Ammunition From Fleeing Russian Forces / Gabon Coup: One Thing The People Are Saying!!! / Hamas Senior Engineer, And Weapons Developer Eliminated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.