Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,563 members, 7,885,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 08:15 AM

I Almost Committed Suicide -UNIBEN Graduating Student - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / I Almost Committed Suicide -UNIBEN Graduating Student (368 Views)

Ajayi Adebayo, Umeh Gerald, Owolabi Thankgod Others Empower UNIBEN Students / Ajayi Adebayo, Umeh Gerald, Owolabi Thankgod Others Empower UNIBEN Students / Giant Python Commits Suicide In Imo Sate Zoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Almost Committed Suicide -UNIBEN Graduating Student by CampusPressNG: 11:32pm On Jan 07, 2019
International award winning University of Benin graduating student, from department of Mass Communication, Emmanuel Oluwasayomi Ahmadu popularly known as Mr Voiceover, whose story of his struggle and perseverance on the path of success went viral on the internet of recent, where he revealed that he wrote o'level exams 17 times. This inspiring success story got him an invitation by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), one of the largest television network in the world where he was interviewed. He is a Voice-Over Artiste, budding Nollywood Actor, Writer, Entrepreneur, Humanitarian and the international award recipient for Student Brand Of The Year In West Africa on West Africa Citizens Awards 2018, amongst many other awards on which he has won by representing the University of Benin.

In this interview with our correspondent, Mr Voiceover shared his inspiring story and his journey to stardom.

How has been your journey to stardom?

Stardom? laughed... I think the journey has just started and it has only brought and not money. But so far, I am thankful to God for his grace that has helped me to survive through all the good, the bad and the ugly experiences.

What do you mean by the "the good, the bad and the ugly experiences"?

Well, my story is one that interpretes the phrase; 'the good, the bad and the ugly'. As a result of family crisis, I attended 16 primary schools, enrolled in 14 secondary schools, wrote 17 O'level exams, became an orphan along the line and now a graduate from one of the best Universities in Nigeria. I am being celebrated today, but I realized that a lot of persons didn't know that I almost committed suicide during the days of my terrible ordeals, but i am thankful to God that I didn't succumb.

I felt hopeless and desperate, with bleak pessimistic view of the future. It was such a heart-breaking experience for me to see my junior colleagues turned university graduates before my very eyes and worse still, to see my self still wearing secondary school uniform and repeatedly rewriting o'level exams until the 17th time.

Another terrible experience that gripped me was that I became a student under some of my old college mates after they had graduated from the University and teaching in colleges. All this happened and I felt I could not possibly find alternatives to my problems and I was haunted continually with low esteem and feelings of worthlessness not until my story changed.

How did you survive the suicide thoughts?

Suicidal thoughts can be very difficult to deal with or understand. Sometimes they can be fleeting, but other times they could be stronger urges or fantasies that promise relief from seemingly unbearable pain.

I survived suicide thoughts by distancing myself and shifting attention away from the negative thoughts that could lead to a more devastating situation.

I tried as much possible to surround myself with people who care about me and let them know what i was going through, instead of shutting down and isolating myself.

I often remind myself that recovery is possible, especially from the numerous setbacks. Going by statistics, it is confirmed that for every suicide death, there are 25 suicide attempts. It became obvious that this alarming occurrence bedevilling our society calls for urgent attention, prompted my decision to volunteer to work with international humanitarian agencies as a Hope Ambassador, as a way to contribute my quota towards reducing suicidal cases and igniting the hope of the depressed.

What inspires you?

I draw inspiration from people and life situations, especially when they pass messages that can add value to my life.
More so, I am inspired by my mom. She endured all the
terrible and unpleasant moments with me, encouraging and assuring me that everything will be okay. Although my setbacks made her weep. I dedicate my international award to her. She deserves even more.

Are you working on any project currently?

Yes, recently, my team and I have been working on flagging a national youth empowerment programme across the 36 states of the federation in 2019 God willing.

The project is aimed at creating platform to empower the unemployed youth and graduates, towards creating jobs based on the talents or skills they have to offer the society or the the ones they wish to be trained in. This is because majority of graduates don't practice what they study, either because there is no space to practice their profession or there are no platforms to support their talents, thereby giving rise to unemployment.

We have currently partnered with some international agencies and looking farward to the support of government parastatals, private organisations and eminent individuals to join hands with us to reduce unemployment menace in Nigeria.

I had earlier in school designed and working towards unveiling a social media application that will unite students across the world. It's geared towards creating massive jobs and boosting the social educational sector of the economy.

I am also working on lending my professional Voice-Over skills for political campaign adverts, jingles, cartoons/animations, caller tunes, documentaries, promos, on-hold messages, ring tune/ message tune customised, auto-attendant messages, e-learning projects, podcasts, IVR-Interactive voice response, video games, audio books, phone prompt and others.

What is your advice to the youth?

My advice to the youth and others who are facing difficult times is that, just like I never saw myself being interviewed on one of the largest Television Networks in the world, British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), based on my success story that went viral on the internet which got many inspired across the world, is indication that you shouldn't give up even if the struggle isn't paying off for you yet.

If I was able to make it despite the fact that I attended 16 primary schools, 14 secondary schools, wrote 17 O'level exams, became an orphan along the line & now I am a graduate from one of the best Universities in Nigeria, and as well became a recipient of an international award, then i see no reason why you should get discouraged or give up.

If i could survive inspite of those terrible challenges and become a University graduate and to have also represented my University and represented my country on the international scene after numerous setbacks, is an indication that any one can succeed irrespective of whatever militating challenges or setbacks. Suicide isn't the solution, It will only compound your misery.

Don't ever give up, even though things aren't working out for you yet. There is definitely an end to all problems.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How To Speed Up Your Slow Android Device / Applied Engineering Technology Initiative / NEED Polystar TV Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.