Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,162 members, 7,896,948 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 04:16 AM

Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! (14355 Views)

Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day 2021 / Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2020). / Photo: President Buhari And CJN Walter Onnoghen At Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Kaycee7(m): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2019
May the souls of the fallen rest in peace and may we not lose more souls due to corruption and negligence
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by onunwa21(m): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2019
How I wish dis Bokoharam tin will just end.

Alot has gone!!!!

Lord accept der souls....

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by onunwa21(m): 6:35am On Jan 15, 2019
How I wish dis Bokoharam tin will just end.

Alot has gone!!!!

Lord accept der souls. grin
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by anonymous1759(m): 6:41am On Jan 15, 2019
RIP to all the fallen Heroes. If you'd seen what a Riot look like you'll know what the security forces are going through...
But but they all need Orientation i think they got it wrong from the training ground.. I believe thier trainers tell them they own the country and above the law and every civilian that's a bad Orientation which results into molesting of the citizens by the security Agencies.

They need to know that the masses pay them and deserve some respect.

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by crisycent: 6:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Happy remembrance brave soldiers

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Nobody: 6:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Yet, no public holiday. I wonder who will be remembering them.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by fjjc(m): 6:51am On Jan 15, 2019
Gallant Soldiers
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by hucienda: 6:51am On Jan 15, 2019
Salute to the honourable men and women among them ... who gave the ultimate measure of sacrifice for love of country.

#Respect
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by BraniacX(m): 6:55am On Jan 15, 2019
Wetin i remember those otondo for? Wetin dem do for me? No be dem produce buhari? undecided I feel safer with a Chadian gendarme than a Nigerian soldier so who dem epp? undecided
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Next2Bezee(m): 6:56am On Jan 15, 2019
What of those civilians in the east who were slaughtered by the army during operation python dance?

Who will remember them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 15, 2019
Theday Abokifinnally won against Nigeria
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Etfash(m): 7:07am On Jan 15, 2019
I'll take a moment to remember my brother, friend and colleague: EKONG UTIBE-ABBASI GODWIN. One of our finest back in school days who was killed in battle against these monsters called Haram Bokos.

I love you so much brother; rest on the bossom of Christ.

Any lover of the truth will know that those who put our sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and friends in arms way for selfish gains will end badly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by giftedben: 7:13am On Jan 15, 2019
What society gave to us when we were little comes back to bite them when we have grown.

To all Nigerian armed forces, you should all rot in hell.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by BruncleZuma: 7:13am On Jan 15, 2019
Racoon:
With the exploits of the Nigerian military esp.in the Burma expedition during the gruesome two global wars & subsequently in the West African subregion (ECOMOG, UN Missions etc) one just wonder how come BH, killer Fulani herdsmen, "armed bandits/ unknown gunmen" will make a rubbish of these feats.

Rest on gallant heros.To those who still have their boots on, find courage and strength in God.Bravo!

Those were different times with different modus operandi.

Burma was an infantry man's war laced with guerrilla tactics especially by the Chindits.

The only time the Nigerian Army has acted responsible and with discipline was in the peace keeping operations in Katanga in the 60's after that it got run over by entitled revisionists.

ECOMOG was a trial and error situation and an unplanned foray into "being the big brother" it should have acted as a learning point for the NA but No...

The Niger Delta crisis did nothing to change this mindset also...

In comes Boko Haram and ISWAP who have perfected the act of non-linear combat and our military still hasn't learnt anything from all these conflicts.

It boils down to doctrine...stop sending our "special forces" to train in countries whose armies having won any non-linear war in a modern setting would be a good start.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by joshjc(m): 7:13am On Jan 15, 2019
Nigeria is not a country anyone should fight or die for,they say the labours of our heroes past shall not be in vain,but it has always been in vain,go and see how our ex-servicemen are suffering,they pay them peanuts upon retiring,and the Windows of the fallen heroes are made to suffer before getting anything, while those thieves called politicians are paid huge amount of money,May God help Nigeria
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by BruncleZuma: 7:15am On Jan 15, 2019
anonymous1759:
RIP to all the fallen Heroes. If you'd seen what a Riot look like you'll know what the security forces are going through...
But but they all need Orientation i think they got it wrong from the training ground.. I believe thier trainers tell them they own the country and above the law and every civilian that's a bad Orientation which results into molesting of the citizens by the security Agencies.

They need to know that the masses pay them and deserve some respect.

That is what a 40 year relationship with military coups brings...an association between the enemy and the people, soldiers were never to be allowed near civilians except in a national emergency or full on war.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by hurricaneChris: 7:21am On Jan 15, 2019
Dying for Nigeria is synonymous to dying for nothing.

I'll for American or even Egyptian Army 100 times before I can get injured for Nigerian army.

That's how I feel, millions of other Nigeria youths feel this way.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by naptu2: 7:26am On Jan 15, 2019
naptu2:
Isaac Fadoyebo was a Nigerian soldier that fought against the Japanese in Burma in World War 2. His unit was ambushed while moving in the Kaladan River Valley and Fadoyebo was badly injured. He was rescued by Burmese villagers who hid them from the Japanese for 10 months.

A British journalist called Barnaby Philips, who had been the BBC's Nigeria correspondent and later worked for Al-Jazeera, made a documentary about Fadoyebo's exploits. He was able to track down the Burmese family that hid Isaac Fadoyebo and deliver a letter of gratitude from Isaac Fadoyebo to them. The documentary, called Burma Boy was shown in 2012. This is the documentary.

(Isaac Fadoyebo died in November 2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BREOezfAJSU
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by naptu2: 7:28am On Jan 15, 2019
Africa's forgotten wartime heroes

Page last updated at 23:32 GMT, Friday, 14 August 2009 00:32 UK

British documentary makers Robin Forestier-Walker and Oliver Owen have been tracing Nigerians who fought against the Japanese in Burma during World War II.

On VJ Day, the anniversary of victory over Japan, they tell the veterans' story.

Private African Banana also served as a peacekeeper in Congo and Chad

Mohammed was just 16 when he was pressed into British military service in northern Nigeria against his will.

Now, almost 70 years on, the old war veteran claims he hid his true identity from the recruiting officer.

It was as Private African Banana that he went on to travel 6,300 miles (10,100km) to the jungles of Burma in the Royal West African Frontier Force.

And he has been known as African Banana ever since.

The contribution of West Africans was played down in official versions of the Allied war in Asia, and until now, few have had an opportunity to tell their tale.

In fact, only two in 10 of the soldiers who fought in Burma were white.

The role of Indians and Gurkhas is known. But when Allied commander General William Slim thanked his 14th army at the end of the campaign, he did not even mention the Africans.

Jungle warfare

Nigerians made up more than half of the total force of 90,000 West African soldiers deployed to South East Asia after 1943 as part of the British Army's 81st and 82nd (West Africa) Divisions.

Although the Burma campaign ended 64 years ago, many remain bitter that their contribution was never adequately recognised.

They were central to the push to clear Japanese forces out of the jungle and mountain ranges of Burma, from where they threatened British India.

This was achieved through a gruelling campaign of jungle marches, battles and ambushes, in which supplies were delivered entirely by air.

Usman Katsina remembers it well.

"Everything that was meant to be used - your food, your clothes, everything - was given to you and you were required to carry it, on your head and back. Some even died from exhaustion, from travelling long distances, with a heavy load," he says.

Some of those who earned the coveted Burma Star had already fought against Mussolini's forces in East Africa.

West Africans also joined special Chindit units under the command of General Orde Wingate.

The Chindits fought deep inside Japanese-held territory to disrupt lines of communication.

Their enemy was an extremely dangerous opponent. Japanese soldiers were trained well in the art of jungle warfare, where the first rule was concealment.

It was a skill the Nigerian troops had to learn too.

"The Japanese in the jungle were just like snakes - they hid before you could see them, it was very hard," recalls 97-year-old Hassan Sokoto.

'Lack of recognition'

Umaru Yola fought in the 4th Battalion, Nigeria Regiment. He described how he was hit in the head with a piece of shrapnel that left him with a hole in his skull.

"I didn't die, so God must have decided to give me a long life," he says.

Many of the veterans feel they were failed by the British after the war

African recruits served as drivers, artillerymen, engineers, medics and clerks, as well as infantrymen and carriers.

Officer positions were reserved for white expatriates from Britain and other parts of the empire, with only one notable exception: Lieutenant Seth Anthony from the Gold Coast was the British Army's first African officer.

Despite the hierarchy, the war in Burma played some part in breaking down the race barriers of the era.

"Initially I saw the white man as someone better than me. But after the war, I considered him an equal," recalls former infantryman Dauda Kafanchan.

In post-war Nigeria, the colonial government gave some veterans land to begin new lives as farmers. The project was also a scheme to reduce their potential impact as a new political force.

"We wanted work. But what could we do? We were under colonial rule and we couldn't change anything," said veteran Dangombe, who found himself without prospects at the war's end.

Nigerian soldiers who chose to continue their military careers went on to form the core of independent Nigeria's national army, which retains the 81st and 82nd Divisions to this day.

Private Banana later served as a peacekeeper in the Congo and Chad. And he returned to the frontline alongside many of his former comrades in Nigeria's bloody 1967-1970 civil war.

But many of his former comrades feel the British abandoned their responsibilities to their former servicemen.

Although they were paid off for their service, some claim they were promised allowances which were never paid, despite their repeated efforts over the years.

And it is not only the money - some veterans are still bitter over what they see as a lack of recognition.

"We were supposed to get Long Service and British Empire Medals" says Dangombe.

"But up until now - nothing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8201717.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIHOIZVZtE
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by TAO11(f): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2019
naptu2:
Officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces have fought in various wars and taken part in many peace keeping operations, defensive duties and internal security duties. These include

Wars including:

* The First World War
* The Second World War
* The Nigerian Civil War

Peace keeping/enforcement operations in

* The Congo
* Tanzania
* Liberia
* Sierra Leone
* Lebanon
* Darfur
* The former Yugoslavia
* Mali

Defensive duties including

* The Bamileke Rebellion
* Chadian Rebels (1982/83)
* The Bakassi Peninsula

Internal Security duties including

* The Tiv Rebellion
* The Western Region Crisis
* The Niger-Delta Crisis (1966)
* The Agbekoya Rebellion
* The Niger Delta Crisis (1992-2009)
* The Boko Haram Insurgency.

Anti-Robbery operations, including:

* Operation Sweep
* Rapid Response Squad
* Operation Yaki
* Operation Messa

Etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akV2HsCQDY
Video: Major General Buhari attends the 1984 Remembrance Day parade at the Remembrance Arcade, Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos.

You left out internal security duty like:

Operation Crocodile Smile in the South-South

as well as anti-terrorism operation like:

Operation Python Dance in the South-East

God bless the Nigerian Armed Forces
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Gracespecial101(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2019
You won't be forgotten
Legends don't die they only Rest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Brown14: 7:58am On Jan 15, 2019
my brother was killed by Boko Haram last year at sambisa.
Lt.Col.Wehla Mamudu....i remember you today sir.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Elvisu: 7:59am On Jan 15, 2019
I hope after today those ladies begging for money at the airports in the name of armed forces Remembrance Day will stop embarrassing passengers. Shameless people.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by cyojunior1(m): 8:01am On Jan 15, 2019
little wonders @ the cause of remembering, after all southern soldiers were massacred given room for northern barbarians soldiers
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by BitmapStudios: 8:09am On Jan 15, 2019
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the fallen warriors. They've paid the ultimate price for us to live freely.
Job done; rest easy!
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by zudozz: 8:48am On Jan 15, 2019
RIP my uncles slaughter by Buhari obasanjo n the rest of them during the civil war.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by MightyHand(m): 8:51am On Jan 15, 2019
Respect to their selfless service to humanity..
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by olumideabefe(m): 9:11am On Jan 15, 2019
Rest in Peace to my Dad and others slain soldiers who died in the course of defending their fathers land
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Blacksoweto: 9:13am On Jan 15, 2019
naptu2:
Let's take a moment to remember Lieutenant Oluwafemi Odushina.

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2019/01/oluwafemi-odushina.jpg?w=584[/img]

He was killed on Tuesday, the 13th of May, 2014. Boko Haram ambushed the late Oluwafemi with his troops around the Chibok area where they had gone to search for and rescue the abducted Chibok girls. Senior rest well

Following his death, the news got to the military camp and reportedly led to a mutiny by some soldiers of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army against the General Officer Commanding (GOC), Major-General Abubakar Mohammed who was then redeployed.

Lt. Odushina Oluwafemi was an old student of the Air Force Secondary School, Ikeja, Lagos State. He served with the United Nations Peace Keeping Forces in Darfur and later went to Pakistan for an additional training course. In March 2014, he was deployed to Maiduguri where he was killed defending the nation’s integrity.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 15, 2019
naptu2:
Let's take a moment to remember Lieutenant Oluwafemi Odushina.

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2019/01/oluwafemi-odushina.jpg?w=584[/img]

He was killed on Tuesday, the 13th of May, 2014. Boko Haram ambushed the late Oluwafemi with his troops around the Chibok area where they had gone to search for and rescue the abducted Chibok girls.

Following his death, the news got to the military camp and reportedly led to a mutiny by some soldiers of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army against the General Officer Commanding (GOC), Major-General Abubakar Mohammed who was then redeployed.

Lt. Odushina Oluwafemi was an old student of the Air Force Secondary School, Ikeja, Lagos State. He served with the United Nations Peace Keeping Forces in Darfur and later went to Pakistan for an additional training course. In March 2014, he was deployed to Maiduguri where he was killed defending the nation’s integrity.

Rip.

But he wasted his life
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 15, 2019
naptu2:
Let's take a moment to remember Captain Kenneth Onubah.

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2019/01/kenneth-onuba.jpg?w=584[/img]

He was from Ifite-Oraifite in Anambra State. He was killed in an ambush by Boko Haram in May 2014.

He wasted his life
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2019)! by naptu2: 10:10am On Jan 15, 2019
The national remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph in Abuja is not the only ceremony that will be held today.

Wreath laying ceremonies are being held in all the state capitals across the country.

1, 2 and 3) Governor Ifeanyi Okowa laid a wreath at the Remembrance Arcade in Asaba this morning.

4) Governor Umar Ganduje of Kano (in blue) during a rendition of the Last Post at the Remembrance Arcade in Kano.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Of Kwara Political Freedom / Akwa Ibom Begins Payment Of N50,000 To 1,250 Vulnerable Households / Obasanjo's Endorsement Of Atiku Will Not Distract President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.