Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,956 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:57 AM

Opinion |A Critique Of Rauf Aregbesola’s “don’t Bother To Look For Jobs” Comment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion |A Critique Of Rauf Aregbesola’s “don’t Bother To Look For Jobs” Comment (246 Views)

Rare Throwback Photo Of Rauf Aregbesola / Oyo: Supporters Of Rauf Olaniyan Dump PDP For APC / Rauf Aregbesola: 'I Never Collected Salary, Never Built A House As A Governor' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion |A Critique Of Rauf Aregbesola’s “don’t Bother To Look For Jobs” Comment by qwenu: 11:00am On Jan 17, 2019
If Nigerians still believe that, politicians like Rauf Aregbesola will turn their fortune around, then they should better wake up before it is too late. The typical Nigerian politicians are not servants even though they feign to be one. They are plunderers in the actual sense, only interested in the national treasury. Interestingly, they are shrewd enough to blame or make the masses feel as if they are not taking advantage of the imaginary opportunities they have created.

Which is why Rauf Aregbesola, the former governor of Osun state, while speaking to graduating students at the 8th convocation of Fountain University, Osogbo, said below:

“Our knowledge base as a country is low, judging by the low knowledge productivity of Nigeria. Skills and competence to build a good society are still missing. I want to urge you graduands to go out and demonstrate what you have acquired during your school days, struggle to create and be of good character because character is the key. Don’t bother to look for jobs. Make effort to be self-employed and employ five others.”

Please note the highlighted last sentence, it is going to form the crux of my critique.

While the statement of Rauf Aregbesola is true and laudable, it is full of hypocrisy at the same time. And it also shows the true cunning character of a typical Nigerian leader who will not give you farming tools but will tell you to farm.

Rauf Aregbesola’s advise, as sound as it is, will not be valid if the Government does not create an enabling environment for small and medium-sized enterprises to thrive. Many businesses have crumbled because of the epileptic power supply in Nigeria and this is without mentioning those that have failed because of multiple taxations.

If Rauf Aregbesola does not want graduates to look for jobs, then he should send them forth with money so that they can start up something. No matter how great one’s business ideas may be, he will still need money to start. Unfortunately, most new graduates are broke, and they cannot afford to start-up a business even if they have ideas. Where does Aregbesola expect them to get money to start up a business?
https://qwenu.com/2019/01/16/opinion-a-critique-of-rauf-aregbesolas-dont-bother-to-look-for-jobs-comment/

Re: Opinion |A Critique Of Rauf Aregbesola’s “don’t Bother To Look For Jobs” Comment by Kachy1605(m): 11:15am On Jan 17, 2019
Hahahaha 9ja I hail una o
Re: Opinion |A Critique Of Rauf Aregbesola’s “don’t Bother To Look For Jobs” Comment by Kachy1605(m): 11:17am On Jan 17, 2019
Lala oya put this on front page make I claim my FTC now now

(1) (Reply)

Troops Repel Insurgents’ Attack In Gajiram, Borno / Can Buhari Honestly Withstand Another 4yrs As President? / Atiku Refuses To Participate Despite Showing Up At The Debate Venue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.