Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,047 members, 7,970,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 01:09 AM

Qualities Of A Successful Farmer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Qualities Of A Successful Farmer (406 Views)

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Qualities Of A Successful Farmer by Legendguy(m): 9:01pm On Jan 18, 2019
Qualities Of A Successful Farmers

There is no doubt that agriculture is very rigorous and sometimes, energy draining but inspite of the challenges, many farmers have achieved success
Here are the proven and tested qualities of a successful farmer.
Don't go into farming without acquiring these qualities

1. Knowledge

Successful farmers are constantly researching. They are always looking for new information to improve their farming methods and practice. By doing this, it will help them increase productivity on their farms and boost sales. Knowledge is only potential power when acted upon, and the continuous pursuit of knowledge will ensure that you are always ahead with modern farming

2. Passion

The burning desire to succeed ignite the farmer to success. You need to have passion for farming in other to succeed. I have seen a lots of farmers who go into farming, and when the odds was against them, they quit. They also quit when they found out that things are not going as planned. Farming is very lucrative, and it has lifted millions of people out of poverty, if practice in the modern way. Passion is what keep you going despite of the temporary defeat, which lasts for a short period. You have to love your job and love what you do. If you are planning to engage in farming it is highly Important that you really love what you are doing because this will help you cope in times of temporary failures. You will have a reason to get up every time you fall and will keep you working. Don't go the farming because of making money from it or someone recommended it to you, because if you fail to get what you want from it you will just quit without looking back. So be passionate for what you do.

3. Problem solving abilities

Many farmers experience problems when engaging in farming. Some get discouraged and quit the business. The day I knew that farming was very problematic was when I was working on my undergraduate project. I was conducting research on pests of tomatoes. I planted tomatoes, and nurtured it to the point where I was about to transfer it to the polythene bag. The following day I was disappointed when almost all the seedlings were rooted out by an unknown rodent. I have to start all over again. I learnt a bitter lesson that day that farming may not go the way you planned. This incidence imbibe in me a new mindset as i went into full farming the following year. When you are running a farm you will realize that there are some setbacks that requires creative thinking and problem solving skills that will enable you make decision that will turn every setback around. To win in life, setbacks are unpredictable, they don't give you you signals or warnings when they are coming but your ability to learn from the setbacks and avoid mistakes that will make you return to that setback gives u a winning edge. You also have to be innovative in your farming venture

4. Marketing

I have came across farmers who have difficulty selling their produce. I was at an event, then a man in his 60s asked a question that he don't have buyer for his cassava. Lots of farmers are going through this challenge and gives them sleepless night. In my last article, I state the benefit of networking. At that event, the man that ask that question got buyers for his produce just by networking. They are many channel to market your product, I will discuss it at the end of this article. If you don't sell your product on time, it will get spoilt, especially if the produce is perishable in nature. If you leave your eggs for long it will get glued. To succeed in farming you have to employ many avenues to market your product. You have to create marketing plans for your product. With the availability of technology and digital marketing in today world, you cannot miss. You also need to attend agricultural trainings, events and seminars to network with fellow farmers like you. They can be of help in connecting you to farmers and off takers

5. Perseverance

This requires the strongest individual. Farming can sometimes bring losses. If the weather does not go your way, if thieves invade your farm, pest resurgence and disease outbreaks and disease flooding which sacks farm land, your animals started dying with good management practices or invasion of your farms by rodent and animals, as in the case of cows invading farms in some part of the countries by their handlers. These catastrophes will lead to loss of investment. You have to be strong and overcome this set back, so as to achieve more in the coming days. You also need to be patient with yourself if you want to succeed.
So these are the top qualities you have to imbibe to succeed in your farming ventures
*if you are into agriculture or you want to go into agriculture, we have many agricultural programs outlined for you. We will imbibe these qualities in you through training, entrepreneurship, business mgt, personal development and mentoring*
Visit http://millionsacademy.com/166
*To get started or WhatsApp/ call me on 08169283082 to learn more*
Re: Qualities Of A Successful Farmer by larryking540: 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2019
I intend. To set up a hydrophonic farm land but light is the problem and I want to test or set this equipment up using home materials like (DIY )

I don't just have a clue and I have the zeal for agriculture

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Shrimp Crackers? / Soya Beans Needed. About 5000 -10000 Tons . Supplier Needed For Such Capacity / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.