Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,545 members, 7,888,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:37 PM

Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! (22171 Views)

Mum Rejects Car Gift From Son, Questions His Source Of Wealth (Pix, Video) / Married Men With No/ Low Source Of Income, How Are You Coping? / What's Your Biggest Fear About Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by weyreypey: 6:18pm On Mar 09, 2019
nurey:
whao nice thread.

I am not depressed though but I had great potential and I made some bad choices when I was a teen, sometimes I wish I could move back the hands of time.

Had a potential of joining the Army at a young age when Nigeria was still good, had an offer from a senior officer to be my guarantor turned it down for predegree.

Had an offer to go study in US when I was in 100L turned it down because I was afraid to start all over again and I didn't want to take the risk of the unknowing.

My greatest down fall in life currently is putting family first before myself. If I want to do anything I have to think of my family first if they will like me to be far away or listen to them when they say I shouldn't go else but stay close to home.

I have decided by the end of this year to put my self first even if it's to run away and start my family afresh, I want to take the risk and damn all consequences grin

DEPRESSION IV. GET A MENTOR.... I CAN MENTOR YOU
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by kingreign(m): 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2019
weyreypey:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by nurey(m): 6:23pm On Mar 09, 2019
weyreypey:

the way you follow me around NL it's making my shadow jealous.
mentor me on how to run away?
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by weyreypey: 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2019
SERIOUSLY YOU NEED A MENTOR....
nurey:

the way you follow me around NL it's making my shadow jealous.

mentor me on how to run away?
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by weyreypey: 6:30pm On Mar 09, 2019
DO AWAY WITH ALCOHOL.....THEN ANKARA

[quote author=kingreign post=76500702][/quote]
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by nurey(m): 6:35pm On Mar 09, 2019
weyreypey:
SERIOUSLY YOU NEED A MENTOR....
Okay I will think about it, thanks for your concern
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by weyreypey: 6:36pm On Mar 09, 2019
YOU ARE WELCOME.

nurey:

Okay I will think about it, thanks for your concern
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 09, 2019
I don't know if I should term my situation"depression" or i'm just being rebellious.
Hailed from the most useless and poorest family on this planet,useless father and most useless late mother got separated when dude was less than two.most useless late mother dumped dude with useless father that's hardly around,dude has to grow up from house to house(useless father's family' clircle).
Dude has been surviving from his teenage yrs with menial jobs as everyone has their cross to carry,no education...no money to start a business,no nothing.Dude was born to be poor but the problem is he has refused to accept his fate,his hustling mates are all married with kids and managing themselves in one room.
Instead of the stubborn dude to accept things the way they are...he gathered his little savings to start open university after losing about 700k to a transportation business that didn't see the light of day and he also paid for apprenticeship training on networking here in Abj..thanks to the boss himself for being supportive,won't mention names because he's a Nairalander.
Note:dude is a matured man now,infact...there is this neighbour that calls him a manchelor grin,,urging him to try n settle down but they don't understand what dude is after.This always make dude to question his decision,What if....Dude hardly sleep,always indoors thinking about life when there's no hustle at hand.
What am I suppose to call this,depression,rebellion or foolishness?
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by NNAMDIII(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2019
Virtual soccer in bet9ja, this stuff has really finished me.... I told myself that i'm no longer playing it two weeks ago but I don't know what's still pushing me....It's very hard to stop
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by NNAMDIII(m): 9:54pm On Mar 09, 2019
KoeChz:

pls i need ur help. virtual game has ruin my life. I have lost as much as 600k in the last 6months, including my tuition and house rent. Am more or less a drop out, I feel it more than addiction.pls Kindly help me, am losing it
me too, virtual has really killed me. There was a time one of my uncles gave my sister 1m, that was 2 years ago and i was just 19yrs i lost almost 130k to virtual(my sister's money), since November last year I've lost close to 110k.

I don't drink, smoke and womanised but the only problem i have is bet9ja, i just pray i find a way of stopping it
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by ummsumayyah(f): 11:53am On Mar 10, 2019
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Maxi3k(m): 12:18pm On Mar 10, 2019
Omo last week Sevilla tear my ticket since then I have gotten myself
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Maxi3k(m): 12:24pm On Mar 10, 2019
Bet9ja and virtual those two evil twins, last week Sevilla tear my ticket and Since then I have not gotten myself
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Estellie: 12:43pm On Mar 10, 2019
morningstar55:
I don't know if I should term my situation"depression" or i'm just being rebellious.
Hailed from the most useless and poorest family on this planet,useless father and most useless late mother got separated when dude was less than two.most useless late mother dumped dude with useless father that's hardly around,dude has to grow up from house to house(useless father's family' clircle).
Dude has been surviving from his teenage yrs with menial jobs as everyone has their cross to carry,no education...no money to start a business,no nothing.Dude was born to be poor but the problem is he has refused to accept his fate,his hustling mates are all married with kids and managing themselves in one room.
Instead of the stubborn dude to accept things the way they are...he gathered his little savings to start open university after losing about 700k to a transportation business that didn't see the light of day and he also paid for apprenticeship training on networking here in Abj..thanks to the boss himself for being supportive,won't mention names because he's a Nairalander.
Note:dude is a matured man now,infact...there is this neighbour that calls him a manchelor grin,,urging him to try n settle down but they don't understand what dude is after.This always make dude to question his decision,What if....Dude hardly sleep,always indoors thinking about life when there's no hustle at hand.

..This is sad.. No matter what ur situation is called, just never give up...
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by AceRoyal: 1:01pm On Mar 10, 2019
morningstar55:

Deep!
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 10, 2019
Estellie:
..This is sad.. No matter what ur situation is called, just never give up...
Thanks bro
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by KoeChz(m): 10:18pm On Mar 10, 2019
NNAMDIII:
me too, virtual has really killed me. There was a time one of my uncles gave my sister 1m, that was 2 years ago and i was just 19yrs i lost almost 130k to virtual(my sister's money), since November last year I've lost close to 110k.

I don't drink, smoke and womanised but the only problem i have is bet9ja, i just pray i find a way of stopping it
he urge is too much.
The surprising part is that, u knw u can't win ur lose back yet u keep losing again and again try to win big

2 Likes

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by ThothHermes: 10:35pm On Mar 10, 2019
NNAMDIII:
Virtual soccer in bet9ja, this stuff has really finished me.... I told myself that i'm no longer playing it two weeks ago but I don't know what's still pushing me....It's very hard to stop
Dopamine -- A neurotransmitter in the brain that controls pleasure. It is the culprit in addictions --Nicotine, weed, sex, gambling etc.

Virtual Sports betting: You know you will lose yet you still go back to it because you are addicted to the high you obtain when you play. You only think you are playing for money. What you are actually chasing is the high and once you realize this, it becomes easy to stop.
Any pharmacology textbook will tell you that dopamine regulates anticipatory behavior. If you think back, you will realize that you experience a high when you are waiting for the result i.e when the virtual match is being played or when the horses/dogs are running. That is what you are paying for in reality and not the opportunity to win since you can never win the house. It's rigged as you know.

The solution is to use dopamine to fight dopamine addiction. The next time you have money and are tempted to play, think strongly about how will feel when you lose. Try to recreate that feeling of despair after you have lost and the desire to avoid that feeling will prevent you from playing. That feeling is the low that comes after the high. Feel it before you play and you will not have the need to play.

Note that the machines are rigged and you can never beat the house. The house always wins

Good luck.

Cc

Maxi3k

KoeChz

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by oyetpel(m): 10:54pm On Mar 10, 2019
ThothHermes:
Dopamine -- A neurotransmitter in the brain that controls pleasure. It is the culprit in addictions --Nicotine, weed, sex, gambling etc.

Virtual Sports betting: You know you will lose yet you still go back to it because you are addicted to the high you obtain when you play. You only think you are playing for money. What you are actually chasing is the high and once you realize this, it becomes easy to stop.
Any pharmacology textbook will tell you that dopamine regulates anticipatory behavior. If you think back, you will realize that you experience a high when you are waiting for the result i.e when the virtual match is being played or when the horses/dogs are running. That is what you are paying for in reality and not the opportunity to win since you can never win the house. It's rigged as you know.

The solution is to use dopamine to fight dopamine addiction. The next time you have money and are tempted to play, think strongly about how will feel when you lose. Try to recreate that feeling of despair after you have lost and the desire to avoid that feeling will prevent you from playing. That feeling is the low that comes after the high. Feel it before you play and you will not have the need to play.

Note that the machines are rigged and you can never beat the house. The house always wins

Good luck.

Cc

Maxi3k

KoeChz

Never knew about this, but i think it helped me got out of this virtual of a thing.

During the climax of me stopping it, i think about what i could have used my money to buy instead of losing it to virtual.

I will go there buy snacks and minerals, enjoy it while people playing and losing virtual will look at me like a king. I will think about why not use your N1000 to subscribe instead of losing it to virtual?

It wasn't easy tho, like you said one actually gets high hoping your dog win and also the little additional money one might win, which is actually nothing.

I hope your write up helps gambling addicts.

1 Like

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by cassyrooy(m): 2:20am On Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone, I've read through so many people's story. It is true we're gonna be faced with challenges but it is also true that we can come out smoother and unscathed from these problems.

@Ishilove, my first real fear was in 2010 when my mom almost died and I was away in boarding school. I was very scared of losing her as I was in SS1 and she was our only parent (about 15years after pops had passed on).

I was close to her but we never bonded enough as I just couldn't think of losing her.
I would be an emotional wreck.

FF, in 2015 she passed on about 14hrs after I had secured admission to the University.

I was completely cool until I got to school, my relationship crashed, I became depressed, my first semester results were abysmal. I lost focus, my social life I've managed to build collapsed, my health too.

I was practically empty, except for my 4yrs-old niece, somehow, I managed to get thoughts about her into my head which helped me clear whatever was going on. I resolved to live for her.

All these while, I was chronically lost in masturbatiön, gambling (to the Glory of God, these are no more my worries as I've stopped).

My point is, we build walls to shield us against fears but these walls are very much penetrable. There's no insulator against these losses but we find comfort which only God can bring.

For me, I've repositioned myself and things are pretty much better (except my relationship life where I'm keenly seeking God's face).

And to all the young guys complaining of Virtual on Bet9ja, release your mind off getting rich by all means. Understand that you can be dependent on others but for a short time. Stop trying to live your life according to expectations from people on social media and your friends. These guys can't even notice you because they're busy trying to up their fake life.

See life differently, stop listening to people talk about street life, define your own success and money will be an additional thing to it all.

Above all, ladies and gentlemen, avoiding premarital sex is one of the surest ways to happiness. It clouds your life with darkness and it exposes you to many dangers like pregnancies, diseases etc.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 11, 2019
cassyrooy:
Hi everyone, I've read through so many people's story. It is true we're gonna be faced with challenges but it is also true that we can come out smoother and unscathed from these problems.

@Ishilove, my first real fear was in 2010 when my mom almost died and I was away in boarding school. I was very scared of losing her as I was in SS1 and she was our only parent (about 15years after pops had passed on).

I was close to her but we never bonded enough as I just couldn't think of losing her.
I would be an emotional wreck.

FF, in 2015 she passed on about 14hrs after I had secured admission to the University.

I was completely cool until I got to school, my relationship crashed, I became depressed, my first semester results were abysmal. I lost focus, my social life I've managed to build collapsed, my health too.

I was practically empty, except for my 4yrs-old niece, somehow, I managed to get thoughts about her into my head which helped me clear whatever was going on. I resolved to live for her.

All these while, I was chronically lost in masturbatiön, gambling (to the Glory of God, these are no more my worries as I've stopped).

My point is, we build walls to shield us against fears but these walls are very much penetrable. There's no insulator against these losses but we find comfort which only God can bring.

For me, I've repositioned myself and things are pretty much better (except my relationship life where I'm keenly seeking God's face).

And to all the young guys complaining of Virtual on Bet9ja, release your mind off getting rich by all means. Understand that you can be dependent on others but g
for a short time. Stop trying to live your life according to expectations from people on social media and your friends. These guys can't even notice you because they're busy trying to up their fake life.

See life differently, stop listening to people talk about street life, define your own success and money will be an additional thing to it all.

Above all, ladies and gentlemen, avoiding premarital sex is one of the surest ways to happiness. It clouds your life with darkness and it exposes you to many dangers like pregnancies, diseases etc.

Nice deep...deep and very deep.....How far with your Academics now. I think we need to rub minds.
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by stubbornman(m): 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2019
Ishilove:

I was heading to 19 when I gained admission, and even at that I was among the youngest in class. Personally I feel parents are rushing their children too much these days

Actually if i knew what i know now... i wouldnt have rushed to school so early... i would have developed myself to a large extent on various skills... my children will not under go such rubbish....

1 Like

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by PrettyEneawan(f): 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2019
I Really Need A Job, Have Learnt A Skill But No Money To Start. Am Getting Lean Everyday And I Can't Stop Thinking
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by cassyrooy(m): 1:19am On Mar 12, 2019
Cutthbert:

Nice deep...deep and very deep.....How far with your Academics now. I think we need to rub minds.
My academics are coming up steadily strong.

0806-*75*-**8
That's my contact, it's also available on Whats’App.
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 12, 2019
cassyrooy:
My academics are coming up steadily strong.

That's my contact, it's also available on Whats’App.

Alright thanks bruh I will chat u up soon.
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Oyindidi(f): 3:17pm On Mar 13, 2019
morningstar55:

Inconclusive dudegrin
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Bracha: 5:52pm On Mar 13, 2019
Hey honey!

Here's what you need to do: speak to him about how you feel; about what you like about him and don't like. If he belittles you and your opinion, break up with him! He's literally preying on your young age and inexperience. Let him get a woman who will agree and submit to his traditional methods. Respect isn't the only thing required in marriage love and yes, sexual chemistry plays an important role too.

Your family won't marry him with you, so please think deeply before marrying him.

Also, as for the new guy, don't get carried away. You're enjoying it because it's new. Take your time, get to know him well. You're still 23, enjoy life. Have ambitions outside marriage - on career, travel etc. - and try to follow through with them.

Life is too short, live it right.

Lukewarm:
I am at crossroads in my relationship life right now.

On one hand, I've got this great dude I've been with for some years. Everyone thinks he's perfect for me because he's ready to be responsible and settle down, then he also plans for the future.

But the problem?

We don't seem to have that connection or chemistry. I find it hard just telling him I love him. But everyone keeps ringing it into my ear that he's one of the good guys and there are quite a few out there. So I promised myself to respect him and hope that is enough to keep a marriage going.

Then on to the minor thing:
1. He's a traditional guy. He believes all a woman needs to do is cook, clean, and conceive. He believes a lot of things are frivolities and a wife has got little to no say in the house.

This really badgers me.

But hey! He's one of the few good ones available.....right?

Then I got a shocker.

I met someone 2 months ago and its been a totally crazy and new experience for me.

It's the first time I've seen someone share the same warped sense of humour I've got. First time I'd meet someone that shares a lot of common interest with me. First time someone will creep into my subconscious and make me smile or even lol at something goofy he did or said.

Now, it's got me thinking:

Is respect really enough?

But my family is having none of that second thoughts. It so happens they'd conveniently bring up the story of a really distant aunt that lost her opportunity to marry by saying No to someone and is still a spinster at 45.

And it really isn't helping matters that my new POI is from a different tribe and isn't set for settling now.

So conflicted.

:-
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 13, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Oyindidi(f): 10:30pm On Mar 13, 2019
SBL28:
I can't describe how I feel, but it's not a good feeling. I'm divorced with two kids and I'm not even 30 yet (late 20s), crazy right? I never imagined life would turn out like this...I married the only man I have ever dated and it turned out to be a complete disaster. I feel bad for my kids the most, they are the real victims here. Their father didn't love them or me enough not to walk away from his family.

I have been single and celibate for over two years now but I'm tired of it now. I'm tired of being alone. I want to love and be loved. I want to have a connection with someone. I want that great feeling that comes with being in love.

I have considered having friends with benefits but I don't think I'm wired that way ( not like I have a lot of experience in the that department). I just don't think I can have sex with someone I don't feel anything for.

Another issue is the religious aspect, in the eyes of God, am I still married to my ex? Will God be angry with me if I go into another relationship? But don't I deserve to be happy to? The man in question already moved on...don't I deserve a fresh start too?

On the career front, I have not worked for a full year since I graduated from school. I have not been able to get a decent and stable job. This bothers me to no end...don't get me wrong. My children and I are comfortable but I don't really have any money of my own. I feel do bad when I see my old uni classmates working in the top firms and rising. Some of them were not even better than me then. So I keep wondering why all these things are happening to me, home front 0, career 0. I just want things to go my way...

I can't remember the last time I got a decent amount of sleep, so many thoughts in my head. Sometimes I just want freedom from all my worries and problems, I crave for peace...but I can't leave my children alone in this wicked or intentionally bring such pain on my parents and siblings who have been there for me. Most importantly too, I can't condemn myself to eternal damnation... So I'm just going to be here, taking one day at time and praying for a complete turnaround.
Be strong for the sake of your kids and stop flogging yourself cos you've not arrived, my sister you're not in a competition with anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Aksah12: 11:19pm On Mar 18, 2019
SBL28:
I can't describe how I feel, but it's not a good feeling. I'm divorced with two kids and I'm not even 30 yet (late 20s), crazy right? I never imagined life would turn out like this...I married the only man I have ever dated and it turned out to be a complete disaster. I feel bad for my kids the most, they are the real victims here. Their father didn't love them or me enough not to walk away from his family.

I have been single and celibate for over two years now but I'm tired of it now. I'm tired of being alone. I want to love and be loved. I want to have a connection with someone. I want that great feeling that comes with being in love.

I have considered having friends with benefits but I don't think I'm wired that way ( not like I have a lot of experience in the that department). I just don't think I can have sex with someone I don't feel anything for.

Another issue is the religious aspect, in the eyes of God, am I still married to my ex? Will God be angry with me if I go into another relationship? But don't I deserve to be happy to? The man in question already moved on...don't I deserve a fresh start too?

On the career front, I have not worked for a full year since I graduated from school. I have not been able to get a decent and stable job. This bothers me to no end...don't get me wrong. My children and I are comfortable but I don't really have any money of my own. I feel do bad when I see my old uni classmates working in the top firms and rising. Some of them were not even better than me then. So I keep wondering why all these things are happening to me, home front 0, career 0. I just want things to go my way...

I can't remember the last time I got a decent amount of sleep, so many thoughts in my head. Sometimes I just want freedom from all my worries and problems, I crave for peace...but I can't leave my children alone in this wicked or intentionally bring such pain on my parents and siblings who have been there for me. Most importantly too, I can't condemn myself to eternal damnation... So I'm just going to be here, taking one day at time and praying for a complete turnaround.

It may look like nothing is working, but I don't want you to get that thought stuck in your mind. Permit me to take you on a little journey.
Find a quiet place, if possible a place you can just be alone for some hours. Take a piece of paper with you and a pen write out what you are grateful for, despite all the ills surrounding you. Turn that list over to God and just thank him genuinely from your heart. I need you to mean what you say there.
Let me give you this, "I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living ". Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Jintata: 8:03am On Mar 19, 2019
YourCoffin:
I feel depressed whenever I'm studying for my CISA certification. The materials are so boring it makes me want to tug angrily at my beards. I don't even know which spirit possessed me to register for the course..

Try to use HD study plan below:

http://cisaexamstudy.com/30-day-strategy-for-cisa-success/
Re: Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 19, 2019
Aksah12:

It may look like nothing is working, but I don't want you to get that thought stuck in your mind. Permit me to take you on a little journey.
Find a quiet place, if possible a place you can just be alone for some hours. Take a piece of paper with you and a pen write out what you are grateful for, despite all the ills surrounding you. Turn that list over to God and just thank him genuinely from your heart. I need you to mean what you say there.
Let me give you this, "I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living ". Shalom.

Thanks for the kind words. I will do it.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / How Do I Handle My Neighbor Talking Ill About Me? / Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.