Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,933 members, 7,872,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:26 AM

The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android (454 Views)

Samsung S22 Ultra Unboxing And Camera Comparison With Iphone 13 Pro Max (photos) / Infinix Hot 8 Unboxing, Review, Price & Camera Comparison With The S4 (Photos) / Nokia 6.1 Plus(X6) Unboxing, Review and Comparison With 5.1 Plus and GCAM Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by realbee(m): 8:35pm On Jan 22, 2019
Hey guys,

I have read and seen the constant bashing of Apple's iPhone and the regular comparison with Android and I found that to be quite unfair to Apple. Yes the actual cost of manufacturing the device is cheap compare to Apple's prices but you are not paying for just the device, you are paying for so much more. I'll try to list some of the things you get on iPhone that people are unaware of or actually take for granted when comparing prices;

1. Quality of material/finishing: iPhones are mostly premium product and are manufactured using material of higher quality than most devices out there. Only real premium devices such as Samsung premium Galaxy and Note series, Google Pixel, and others in that class uses similar material. These other devices are only priced a little bit cheaper than iPhone even though none of them can match the durability of an iPhone.

2. Support: iPhone 5s was released in 2013 (6 years ago) and guess what? it was still supported by the latest iOS (https://www.apple.com/ng/ios/ios-12/). How many other phone manufacturer still supports a product they released 6 years ago? How many of them still release updates and security patch for 6 year old product? Samsung is still not sure whether to release Android Pie update for Galaxy S7 just about 3 years after its release and Google's latest flagship (Pixel 3) will only be supported for 3 years (till 2021) while iPhone XS will probably still be receiving supports in 2025. It cost money to continue to support a device, so when you buy a iPhone, you are paying for the extra years of supports along the device.

3. Security: This is a no brainer, even FBI knows Apple's security is unbreakable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI%E2%80%93Apple_encryption_dispute). Have you ever heard of a iPhone virus, malware or ransomware? Or you think hackers have not been trying to create some? A lot of work and research goes into iOS security, the cost of this security is also included in the price.

4. Data Protection: Apple is the only the device you can misplace and still have a full rest of mind that your data is protected. Arguably no one will be able to use the device (if they are lucky) without wiping off your data and you can wipe off your data remotely on your own if you wish. Again you pay extra for the rest of mind that your personal information cannot get into the wrong hands no matter what.

5. No Ads in Apps or data sharing: Unlike Google and most companies with free Apps and services, (I see you Facebook), Apple do not sell your data or show you ads on any of its apps. The reason you don't have to pay for these apps with your personal information is because the costs has been incorporated into the price of the phone.

A lot of stuff goes into making Apple what it is today. The company can produce cheaper phones with same standard but it will have to compromise on some of the things above to break even. I admire the fact that they still stuck to the model of charging for every basic things upfront and at point of purchase even in the face of stern competition. Most of their customers in US and western countries know this and hardly complain about the price. The only recent complain is the fact that the company seems not to be as innovative as it use to be.

Of course you can like android more than iOS, but instead of constantly bashing Apple for their price, understand why the device costs that much.

Disclaimer: I am not a Apple representative, I am just a regular guy who owns both an iPhone and an Android phone. These are also my observations albeit as a professional who work in the mobile industry.
Re: The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by NuclearReactor: 8:58pm On Jan 22, 2019
cheesycheesygringrin
There he goes,
u made notable points esp. About Support&security but if its build quality that holds no water for me cos android phonemakers give good build that matches iphone at lower cost!!

1 Like

Re: The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by khalhokage(m): 9:22pm On Jan 22, 2019
Build quality: iPhones are sturdy but there have always been other phones more durable than them, no iPhone has ever been the most durable in its generation.

Security: Saying that Apple's security is ridiculously ironic considering the infamous iCloud hacks a few years ago that exposed the nudes of some Hollywood stars including Jennifer Lawrence.
Common knowledge in tech is that nothing is unhackable, do you a little bit of research and you'll come across some iPhone vulnerabilities that were discovered last year.

Ads: Guy honestly I don't know where you came up with this one but there are ads on some iOS apps.
Re: The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by skywalker240(m): 6:47am On Jan 23, 2019
Except from longer updates And security (97%)

the rest is just overrated, stop making excuse for them, they just damm expensive.
Re: The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by realbee(m): 8:44am On Jan 23, 2019
NuclearReactor:
cheesycheesygringrin
There he goes,
u made notable points esp. About Support&security but if its build quality that holds no water for me cos android phonemakers give good build that matches iphone at lower cost!!

I mentioned some android manufacturers provides similar build quality using Samsung and google as an example. Where Apple edge them is in the durability. On average, an iPhone has a longer lifespan than most android premium phone released in the same year.
Re: The Misconceptions Of Iphone's Pricing And Continuous Comparison With Android by realbee(m): 9:00am On Jan 23, 2019
khalhokage:
Build quality: iPhones are sturdy but there have always been other phones more durable than them, no iPhone has ever been the most durable in its generation.

Security: Saying that Apple's security is ridiculously ironic considering the infamous iCloud hacks a few years ago that exposed the nudes of some Hollywood stars including Jennifer Lawrence.
Common knowledge in tech is that nothing is unhackable, do you a little bit of research and you'll come across some iPhone vulnerabilities that were discovered last year.

Ads: Guy honestly I don't know where you came up with this one but there are ads on some iOS apps.

1. All things being equal, an iPhone will outlive any premium android device of the same year based on regular use. You can find several examples around you from people who use both phones.

2. Security in my OP referred to DEVICE SECURITY, (login passcode, fingerprint, virus and malware protection) and not cloud security. Also the iCloud incident you're referring to is a targeted phishing attack, someone stole the celebrity iCloud usernames and passwords by tricking them to reply to a phishing email with their details. Not that they actually hacked into iCloud. I think they introduced 2-factor authentication after that.

3. I am not referring to 3rd party Apps on App Store, Apps here refer to Apple's own default apps on iPhone (calendar, maps and others). Google monitor your usage of their apps and things you do with them. They use these information to tailor adverts to you. Apple does not.

(1) (Reply)

Very Clean Gionee A1 / Tecno Camon Iace 2X And Camon Iace 2 Launched In India: Specifications And Price / Samsung Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70 Specs & Images Leaked On TENNA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.