Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,834 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:45 AM

Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli (570 Views)

Double Six Ft. Billz - Clap (Prod By @doublesixbeats) / Double-Six Productions - Music Production | DJ Hypes | Jingles | Videos / No Bars No Glory(Free Instrumental) Prod by Double-Six (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 12:35pm On Jan 23, 2019
Are Music Channels Getting Played Out For The Upcoming Artistes?

Hi there, how are you guys doing today? Hope good.
Anyway I was chilling at a restaurant this morning waiting for my breakfast to be served. As I waited, my eyes were glued to the T.V screen, watching a couple of music videos on a very popular music channel in Nigeria, good music and great visuals as usual. It then hit me! 99% of all the music videos I watched within the 20-30mins I spent there were all by A-List artistes, infact I think it was a 100% of the videos. There was no music video by any upcoming artiste played within that 30 minute period.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying these stations DO NOT play music videos by upcoming artistes AT ALL, I am just pointing out the overwhelming scarcity which I noticed, that's all.
Now going through my Instagram feed, I came across lots of dope videos by upcoming artistes via sponsored posts. Some of these videos had already gathered more than 100,000 views as at the time I watched them.
This begged me to ask myself these set of questions -

1. Why are the big music channels not playing music videos by the upcoming artistes?

2. Why is Instagram the preferred option for these upcoming artistes to promote their videos?

3. Is it that the popular music channels look down on their talents?

4. Is it that these channels charge too much (payola) for these new artistes to have their videos played?

5. Is it that these new artistes believe they can establish a better fan base via social media as opposed to broadcast airplay?

6. Are music channels getting played out or old-fashioned for the artistes in this generation?

The questions kept flowing in and being an experienced personality in the music/media business, I already had 90% of the questions already answered. Yes, music channels are getting played out for the new set of upcoming artistes, and the reasons are obvious. Let me list a few.

* One of the main reasons the new school artistes will "run" from the big stations is cos they ask for too much money just to perform the simple task of pressing play. Lots of these guys will ask for as much as N500,000 to get your video played. It's no joke, I've witnessed it firsthand. Permit me to call the OAPs who are guilty of such, greedy, dream-killing f**ks. Do you agree with my sentiments?

* Second reason these artistes run to Instagram is cos they can actually control their musical destinies at a much lower cost. They are also spared from being asked bullsh*t questions the regular OAPs would ask when they submit their videos to them. Questions like "Who directed the video?" or "What type of camera did you use in shooting?"
Like what the f**k does it matter who shot it or what equipment they used in shooting? Isn't the overall quality of the video the most important thing here? Jeez!

* Third reason is convenience and easy accessibility. From the comfort of your home, with your laptop or phone you can post your videos on ANY social media platform you like, just like that, Gbam! No long tin! It's that simple. You can also pay these social media platforms for promo directly from your bank account using the same devices. You don't have to get up from bed to do this, damm you ain't even gotta brush your teeth.

All the small talk aside, I think if these music channels really want to flourish in the coming 5-10year period then they should get their acts together and stop making it a herculean task for these upcoming artistes to get video airplay on their platforms.
The mathematics here is simple - the more artistes flock to social media with their content, the less they will consider the actual music stations and wether they realise this or not, they will lose money in the long run.

But hey, that's their business!

Follow me on Instagram/Twitter - @doublesixbeats

Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 4:40am On Jan 31, 2019
@doublesixbeats
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 6:32am On Feb 04, 2019
Call 08033422206 for inquiries
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by overboard(m): 6:05am On Feb 05, 2019
@op

Apt!!!
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2019
overboard:
@op

Apt!!!

Yessir
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 7:09am On Apr 08, 2019
Call 08033422206 for bookings and inquiries
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by Nobody: 5:04am On Nov 19, 2019
@doublesixbeats
Re: Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 7:18am On Mar 17, 2020
Contact Double Six Productions for high quality video shoots, written content, and general media consultations.

Call/WhatsApp 08033422206

(1) (Reply)

Dj Khaled On A New Song With Sza / Tatiana Manaois – Luv That Shit / Incredible Voice Clone Of King Dr. Saheed Osupa by Small Saido (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.