Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,202 members, 7,939,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 12:49 PM

Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> (13725 Views)

Poll: Do you support the idea of a third term?

Yes: 16% (21 votes)
No: 83% (110 votes)
This poll has ended

Full Text Of Fashola's Short Term Agenda For Power, Work And Housing / Revisiting Bakare's Visit To Gej: The $50,000 Bribe And 7-year Term Agenda / How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by DivineOke(f): 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2006
A definite NO to his 3rd term bid. Reminds me of frodo in LORD OF THE RINGS.When d time came to throw it away, he said "The Ring is Mine" . Thatz exactly wot OBJ's doin. Power don sweet am e no wan komot again.If he amends the constitution for a 3rd term, then subsequent presidents will amend to suit whatever selfish purposes they have.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by otokx(m): 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2006
Yes to no third term.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by jibitoye(m): 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2006
9ijaman,

I remember you from lagosforum now, and i dare say this is the first time i am agreeing with you. I hope there will be more to agree on in the future.
On OBJ' s third term agenda, a) it is a travesty of constitutional democracy and it is right condemning it.
b) it smirks of intellectual laziness, moral laxity and a sheer display of sycophancy to ascribe the survival of a nation of about 120 million to the prowess of another mortal. It is a shame on the proponents of this.
c) this is another test for the "rule of law". A court has passed an order requiring the committee set up to put the "third term" process in shape to halt proceeding. From the feelers we have yet, they are bent on disobeying that court order. We shall see the kind of nation OBJ intends perpetuating himself on.
d) I can read between the lines when OBJ declared his readiness to die for the nation. He is the arch-proponent of this third term agenda and he must be told of the "fraud" that he is. Nigeria that he couldn't die for in his youth, how come he wants to die for it on his "last lap",   that is laughable.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by ahmedluv: 4:32pm On Mar 08, 2006
d old man should just go to ota farm after 2007 and rest there.if he tries third term then he is digging his grave.obj should just forget about d third term and give young men d chance to rule. Nigerians should come out in mass to protest against third term and make d environment uncondussive 4 obj.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Johnny(m): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2006
I just do not know why so many persons are losing their sleep over this third term issue. If Obj should go for a third term, does that transform him to a life president? After all, is the man not trying? Let's be realistic for once. I am just too tired of all these noise about a third term, making mountain out of an ant's hole. How quickly do we forget that one major problem we have in this country is countinuity? Or the reform programmes of this administration should not be continued? Are the programms truely anti people as being speculated? Common friends, let's be factual!
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by oluwizard(m): 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2006
CAPITAL NO to Third Term
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by dafman(m): 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2006
I'm sick and tired of people talking about reform programs, continuity, completion of projects and other bullshit all in the name of third term, for chrissake didn't he know the limit was two term when he came into power, is obj the smartest dude in the land. And one thing everyone should keep in mind is that if he gets a third term and completes it then the next modaf**ker would extend it to four terms and who knows we might be solving equations to get the number of extensions ----
2x + 5y = 100
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by jibitoye(m): 2:01pm On Mar 10, 2006
Oga Johnny,

There is some truth in your argument. But you know what? You have just demonstrated your grasp of the Nigerian capacity to do the right things with the wrong approach/ methods (cases in mind, the illegality of the impeachment of executive governors in Oyo and Bayelsa).
Yes, it is profoundly necessary that there should be continuity in governance. And that is exactly the point where our mutual agreement will end.
OBJ became the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria not as Olusegun Obasanjo , the conqueror but as a candidate of a political party (the PDP) and that is the democratic norm. His duty also is to protect, defend and obey the constitution of the Republic which he swore to.

A political party is an organisation formed on the basis of their vision and articulated agenda for the political, social and economic development of a nation. These organisations are not essentially bounded together by the charismas or infallibilities of their leaders but the ideas and vision they share. If  therefore there must be continuity, that essentially should not be a problem, as a shift in leadership will not necessarily derail their political goals and vision. This is the reason in democracies, the people (and to a greater extent) vote for these organisations because of the causes they pursue and not the personalities of their leaders.

Now, 1) if there will be continuity, the PDP should aspire to guide such within the ambit of the prevailing constitutional provisions.
2) it is not the sitting government that will initiate such an amendment to the constitution as being proposed as the precedent here is that it becomes the direct beneficiary of such wide reaching reform. What essentially stops a future President from amending the constitution to suit his fantasies (which even might be more sinister) without any regard to the generality of Nigerians.
3) if as it has been observable within the Nigerian political space, if there is no opposing political organisation to challenge the "might" of the PDP as it were, then the PDP has lost a battle in organically breeding leadership which is one of the cardinal goals of political organisations.
It is a shame, that within such an organisation that parades itself as the “largest in sub-saharan Africa” there is no one apart from OBJ to propagate their “beliefs” and vie to rule Nigeria. This just is regrettably laughable and just shows the lopsidedness of the political equations in that organisation.
4) that something seems right, does not necessarily make it right. The arguments of the proponents of the third agenda are just too superfluous for any rational mind. It smirks of intellectual laziness, abject display of sycophancy and corruption in places high and low.
5) in any democracy, the amendment of a constitution and especially in cases as wide reaching as this, is usually subjected to a referendum. OBJ and his cronies have only done some jamborees in some obscure locations over the spate of about a month to reach their decisions. This is absurd to say the least.
6) OBJ is essentially robbing generations of the will and potentials to dream and even aspire to contribute to the growth and development of the fatherland, as it seems there is a ceiling for a lot of them in the political space. The youthfulness of people like Peter Odili, Donald Duke and many others is being wasted as a result of this. These people normally should not be expendable because some people believe in the eternal wisdom of Olusegun Obasanjo. This is a crime against Nigeria!

I do not know the political pedigrees of the leading lights of the PDP, but from the scenarios being currently played out, the future is very dim with their lot.

This current debacle also brings to the fore the lopsidedness in the current federal arrangement. The Presidency in my view is too powerful, and such a superfluously centripetal power does not augur well for a heterogeneous society such as ours. Everyone and every tribal nationality is fighting tooth and nail to keep a hold on that central power at all cost and unfortunately without any regard to the what it will cost the nation.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by nobody2: 11:38am On Mar 11, 2006
the question is neither worth asking nor answering. he is grossly irresponsible for the fact that he is changing the constitution of the country to suit his purposes.
he has ruled as a military and is about completing a two term tenure of eight years yet he would want to amend the constitution for third term.
the question we should be asking and answering here will be; is the third term going to be the consitution or just for OBJ.
it is really disheartening that in a very big country like Nigeria an individual will just come up with personal interest to surpass the interest of the whole populace.
in fact all his so acclaimed preaches and efforts are and have been exposed/revelaed to be of pretence.
i am not afraid of his third term bid rather am afraid of the likely consequences on the innocent citizens who will be forced to die in one way or the other.
all my prayers is that whatsoever that will result from this moves to die on seat, let OBJ, all his surporters and family members get their fair share of it.
even in his grave, he will remain the president of nigeria and let the spirit of the dead innocent nigerians follow all that promote trouble in the country.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by umahi: 11:56am On Mar 11, 2006
i am strongly sayinling no for 3rd term b/c
1 is only group of people enyoying nigeerians money and connection since 1999 to date
2 nigerian has young talented youth that can lead nigeria to a better higth in this morden age
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Posh(m): 12:08pm On Mar 11, 2006
The third term agenda of President Olusegun Obasanjo continues to generate heated debates in political circles.Funny enough, it is rumored that no less than 9 southern governors have lined up albeit shamelessly behind the bid.This started like a rumour,but from the situation of things at present,it is clear that the third term bid is for real.

President Obasanjo has continued to keep mute over the issue apparently not to further infuriate Nigerians who are tired of his fruitless economic policies(if at all,there were economic policies) while praise singers and syncophants like the MAN president, Chief Tony Anenih,Chief Ojo Madueke and many more political prostitutes continue to drum it to the people that there will be no vacancy in Aso rock in 2007.It was the same leprous politicians that hoodwinked the late Gen. Abacha into believing that he was God's choice for NIgeria many years ago,until God intervened.Now the same beggars are falling over themselves by deceiving the President that he is best President Nigeria can ever have.May God open the eyes of the President not to cave into their whims.Somebody say Amen.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by IBBFan(m): 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2006
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by darqly(m): 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2006
Just don't make sense- It's only in Africa that when a tenure is extended, it is guaranteed that the incumbent will continue, whether we like it or not! Then what is the use of elections? We might as well just appoint one LOSER and give him the 12 yrs that the amended constitution now proposes!

I say NO to any idea of third term for president, governnors, the whole damn party! I foresee grave consequences for the nation.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by giddy(m): 6:01pm On Mar 11, 2006
Simply N.O. OBj must not run for a third term.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Vongauche(m): 9:27pm On Mar 11, 2006
larger_20:

OBASANJO: "everything I do now is to protect Nigeria's interest, and if that will cost me my life, so be it".
Feb 28, 2006

I believe him, I think he is moving nigeria to the right direction and we should not expect nigeria to just turn over in a day. If obj is not elected again, then there is gona be a problem because the president that is comming in will also face issues ,

so what r u trying to say that OBJ is our one & only messiah? hmmn,

DivineOke:

A definite NO to his 3rd term bid. Reminds me of frodo in LORD OF THE RINGS.When d time came to throw it away, he said "The Ring is Mine" . Thatz exactly wot OBJ's doin. Power don sweet am e no wan komot again.If he amends the constitution for a 3rd term, then subsequent presidents will amend to suit whatever selfish purposes they have.

Tho i haven't seen LOTR, I agree with u as per "power don sweet am".

The parallel i draw from this sad reality is that of Chancellor Palpitine in Star Wars who made himself Emperor for the supposed good of the republic. so in response to lager_20's first post that a devil u know (i.e. OBJ) is better than the devils u dont (i.e. badangida, orji kalus etc) i say what if the devil u know is THE DEVIL and not his agent?

Be careful what u wish for.

OBJ's had his chance; he tried. We remember him best for being the first african military head of state to hand over to an elected govt. He shouldn't tarnish that. Baba, pls go and rest.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by ronkeD(f): 3:33am On Mar 12, 2006
men in power are so greedy that someone like OBJ would like to go for a third term! He's suppose to be in grieving period not trying to go for the 3rd term. cry
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Hero(m): 9:14am On Mar 12, 2006
Hold up people, hold the F up!! Ok, if the majority of the people are truly against the man running for a third term, then the man, in the on-taking of a truly free and fair election, will not serve for a third term. Just because the man is now allowed to run for a third term and just may do so, doesn't mean that he's going to win the bid to do so. An election still has to take place before he can serve out that third term, and during that election you better believe the whole world's media and observers are gonna be in Nigeria watching and observing what's going on.

Let the people clambering for the nation to implement fresh blood into the top spot, come out in mass and vote for such person. And in my opinion, if such potentials are too chicken and soft hearted to come out and run against OBJ, then they are all too soft to run that nation the way it needs to be run, because at this point in time, you don't need a punk in office, but real men, like OBJ who's not afraid to stand up against strong negative opponents and risk his/her ass putting theirs in place, all in the effort to clean that mess of of nation up.

Hummm, in actuality if in fact it's true that he was threatening folks who showed interest in running against him, I wouldn't put it past him, doing so just as a ploy to see if there were any real men out their who would stand up in the face of threats and death, in their drive to continue on his sanitizing of the nation!! OBJ may be old, but he aint no fool. He obviously has learned his lesson from the last time he lead the nation when in the military.

He is obviously timid of once again turning the nation over to a weakling who will allow either foreign Imperialist minded governments like that of the US, take over the nation, or Imperialist corrupt minded Nigerians do so. A weakling scared of threats can not run a nation like Nigeria successfully. This is why the US gov. is so up in arms over OBJ's third term ambitions. They know that once he leaves, a softy, who they can easily get hold of and direct around like a child, will be elected into his spot, and all their fears of loosing major oil/gas blocks to major budding Naija trading partners like China, S. Korea, India and Brazil, via OBJ's trade diversification policy, will be subdued.

Why do you think they've been stalling on giving Nigeria the navel boats they've ordered months and several years ago, so proper patrolling of the Delta could be implemented? Why do you thing they've yet to deliver the nation it's Air Force planes and helicopters it sent to the US to be refurbished after months and years of being over in the US for repairs? What about the millions in small arms they promised the government for the military along with other weapons, all so it can properly operate, not only in the Delta, but in Sudan, Liberia, Sierra Leone and everywhere else Naija has its forces located? It's all part of the plan to keep the nation weak and humble so that OBJ will fail and the Bush boys will be better positioned to keep their Oily tentacles sternly penetrated into the heart of the world's second riches oil/gas region.

OBJ has refused to fold to the West as deeply as they want and need him to, and that's why they now want him gone, and in return that's why OBJ is now so sternly committed to stay, cause he knows what's up, and he's determined to not let it happen. He, in the past 2 years or so, has been desperately building a strong relation with the Asian powers and especially China, S. Korea and India. Most of the critical infrastructure in the nation, like the steel plants, railroads, power plants, and increasingly alot of other prime industries, like communications outlets and more, are no longer tied in with western companies, especially American ones, thanks to the wise planning and work of OBJ.

Most of all this stuff is now tied in with a diverse array of Asian and South African companies, and it's of no surprise that after decades of poor performance, most of them are now working very well, and or are increasingly gaining better and better operational performance. OBJ cant just come out in the blue and state these types of accusations, but he can fight against them and he is, and know thanks to his fight, the west has been scared into giving the nation back all of the money they allowed to be siphoned off to their nations by their Uncle Tom African buddies, and is cutting back the loads of false debt in which they've been forcing the nation and other African nations to pay to them.

They're now offering all kinds of AIDS aid and job creation aid, and all types of other useful aid in which they NEVER, EVER, OFFERED BEFORE OBJ came to office. Go figure. OBJ threw a monkey wrench in their imperialistic ploy, and now they want him out badly. OBJ is just asking for 4-5 more years to solidify Sino-Nigerian relations in which is going at full speed ahead at this point in time. In 4-5 years at the rate in which the ties are solidifying, the western influence over the nation will be neutralized as will most of the nation's internal debacles via the increased Asian aid and cooperation, and the nation will then truly have the freedom to grow and be prosperous, and a prosperous Nigeria ((WILL)) lead to a prosperous Africa. With neutralization of the western powers, Nigeria and Africa will rapidly expand into the powerhouse continent it should and needs to be!! Give OBJ the time and respect to continue his fight. Throw your backing behind him!! Show the west that you're tired of their shit, and that they need to take their puppets and shove em. OBJ, OBJ, OBJ!!

By the way, all that military equipment in which the US has been holding back from Niaja, has now been re-contracted to China, and it's looking as if soon India and S. Korea will also take on some contracts. Fighter planes, armoured vehicles, Navel vessels and more, all state of art, are on its way to Naija from China, along with communications satellite (probably doubles as a military observation and guidance satellite) is now on its way too, after China, to see the project through, just donated a whopping (($200Mill)) to the project.

The gov. is keeping extremely tight lipped about their nuclear program, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese were in Niaja helping them strengthen that project too; matter of fact, I strongly suspect that they are. OBJ is no old pushover, he's got some serious international clout.

I'll stop there for further comments. grin
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Grizzly(m): 11:13am On Mar 12, 2006
Obasanjo wouldnt remain in Aso rock come 2007, HE WILL DIE!!
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by jibitoye(m): 12:30pm On Mar 13, 2006
Dear Hero,

It is good to read your arguments here even though i take exceptions to your use of the F word.
Now, my Yoruba people have a famous saying: "Ti ina ba ku, a fi eeru b'oju, ti ogede ba ku , a fi omo re ropo" which literally means when fire quenches, it leaves behind ashes to signify it once occupied the space; when the banana tree dies, it leaves a younger one sprouting from exactly the spot it once occupied.
I have no arguments about the above stated exploits of OBJ, but sincerely this is not about how good or bad the man is/ was. This is about constitutionality, precedents and the entrenchment of democracy vis-à-vis the obeisance of the rule of law in our society.

Now my argument here is that, as we know we are all immortal, how come OBJ does not have an array of followers who have been groomed by him and believe in his ideals and can readily be trusted to take over from him anytime?
I also think, as an arrow-head of our political rehabilitation pursuits as a nation, he has failed and in fact his political base is at best shaky. I can not imagine George Bush (Snr) not still having inputs into policies in the US even though; it is his heady son who is in charge now or any other former Republican president for that matter.
This is what we are saying, we are not building political establishments that will formulate ideologies and policies for sustainable democracy in Nigeria and what this anomalous amendment is creating is a further derailment of that otherwise noble objective.

And please make no mistakes; we all know the power of incumbency within Africa. If OBJ stands another election today, he (in perfect tandem with his PDP cohorts) will win it by crook or by any other means, and that is how serious and precarious the Nigerian scenario is. That is why everyone is having serious headaches concerning this superfluous amendment. The only succour the people have is that even, if we can not chase them away now, we at least can rely on the constitutional provisions of two-terms and hope that we will have our day at the next elections. But in our case, this is not even going to happen now (or is it?).

OBJ, in 1999, was brought in as a stop-gap in entrenching the democracy well fought for with the blood of Nigerians; as we can see, years after that, we are all were we started from…. Word to the mutha!!!!!
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by demmy(m): 5:43pm On Mar 13, 2006
Now my argument here is that, as we know we are all immortal, how come OBJ does not have an array of followers who have been groomed by him and believe in his ideals and can readily be trusted to take over from him anytime?

This is what i would expect him to do myself. Take Yelsin for example he knew that if he was not careful Russia could go to the mafias; to avoid that he personally handpicked Putin to help safeguard the democracy. Dose of limited autocracy is not bad if use wisely. Obasanjo however has not only failed to strenghten democracy he has also failed to produce ideological followers whom he could entrust the continuation of whatever achievement he wants to safeguard with by looking for third term. If they could only follow the rule of law,
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Hero(m): 7:08am On Mar 14, 2006
demmy:

This is what i would expect him to do myself. Take Yelsin for example he knew that if he was not careful Russia could go to the mafias; to avoid that he personally handpicked Putin to help safeguard the democracy. Dose of limited autocracy is not bad if use wisely. Obasanjo however has not only failed to strenghten democracy he has also failed to produce ideological followers whom he could entrust the continuation of whatever achievement he wants to safeguard with by looking for third term. If they could only follow the rule of law,

Russia is a bad example. I just watched a documentary about how the new Democratic Russia is fairing and it didn't look to good for Russia in that it showed the the mafia is very much so entrenched into the runnings of the nation. Crime, drug use, alcohol abuse, AIDS, suicide and all other types of ailments are increasingly worsening,  especially HIV/AIDS. Prostitution is at an all time high in the nation, and an horrid off-swing of it,  known as "white Slavery" is increasing at an rapid rate in and around the nation. 

Corruption is out of this world high, as well, in that nation, and because of it,  its nuclear facilities look like crap!! In fact, just so these facilities don't deteriorate into toxic dust,  the US gives Russia tones of AID just so the nation can maintain these facilities. A small part of the documentary focused on the business environment in that nation, and both local and foreign CEO's and exacts in the nation were interviewed, and they all confirmed that,  doing business in that nation was extremely risky,  in that nearly everything has to be done not by the formal book of business conduct, but by an insider informal book of conduct in which involves all kinds of kick-backs, killings, over priced expenditures and other fraudulent dealings of all different types, and those whom didn't follow suit,  literally didn't last long,  in that they are rather quickly taken out, aka, killed.

All of those interviewed,  outrightly confirmed that they personally and informally knew many fellow business men and women whom were killed due to the way they did business. Some even stated that they knew of various incidents in where not only an business man, but him and his whole immediate family was executed, and another one stated that when he first started his business he knew of 8 other guys who started a business at about the same time that he did, and within just 6 years or so all of those other guys had been executed by fellow competitors.

Russia is waaaaaaaay worst than Nigeria. If it were it black nation, you'd better believe that it's international ratings would be piss poor, along with that of the Ukraine's, Belarus, and all those other ex-Soviet nations. But we all know that the whites cover each other back, while jumping at the chance to ridicule and exploit the slightest flaw of their perceived arch enemy,  the Blackies.    angry
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by ekitikete(m): 6:44pm On Mar 14, 2006
Why is OBJ interested in contesting for another term? The reason is not far-fetched.  He has the likes of Orisa Molete (Adedibu), Mr. Fix It (Anenih) and the illiterate Chris Uba to thwart the electorate will of the people through moonslide rigging(remember NPN of 1983 and PDP of 2003).  In a civilized world, OBJ cannot dream of attempting to amend the constitution through the back door not to talk of contesting for an illegal third term because of his many shortcomings as President.  First by attempting to contest election for his third term ambition, he is in disobedience to the constitution to which he swore on oath to uphold. He has a penchant for disobeying court rulings, or be selective on which court orders to obey; his stubborn recalcitrance to the sufferings of the masses is legendary; as a president, he is given to pursuing personal vendetta against his opponents, real or imaginary through the use of the instrument of state etc. It suffice to say that those who makes peaceful change possible makes violent change inevitable.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by goodguy(m): 10:44pm On Mar 14, 2006
Uganda's president is currently using his 20th yr, so what's the big deal if Obasanjo comes for the 3rd time?
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by nobody2: 9:44am On Mar 15, 2006
for those who believe that OBJ is the only way forward, remember he is a christain and biblically and otherwsie, it has been proved that death is immenet and parctically the end of every living man.
we are not praying for anyone to die but since it must come, what if he dies? is nigeria going to die with him?
why can't we have able elders in Nigeria? can't people like him who have suddenly turned into proffessional presidents honourablly hand over powers and then direct or contribute as elder statesmen in the country like people like Mandela and Bill Clinton to mention but a few.

that which closed their eyes when they appointed and mandated you on the nigerian populace will definitely lead you into some more pretty dangers if you are nurshing the intention of coursing problem in the country to waste the lives of innocent people.

if God do not watch over the city, in vain do they labour that watch over the city and that was the case in June 1998 in aso rock
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by otokx(m): 1:22pm On Mar 16, 2006
i have learnt in the business school that is seldom only one way for doing anything in life but i think it is "expedient" that Mr. President go for a third term at least to fulfil the prophecy.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by kinjhorghe(m): 11:46pm On Mar 16, 2006
African leaders have so much cultivated themselves into the habit of CHOP AND QUENCH IN OFFICE. They come into power either by rigging their way in or they forcefully take power and the very first word they utter from their mouths is that they have come to change the polity,to change morals, to alleviate the sufferings of the down trodden.

They accuse their predeccessors of corruption, mismanagement, indecipline and all the evils they have actually perpetuated. But before we have the chance to applaud them, they too starts to goof.

If we go back a bit into the political history of this great nation of ours(THE MOST POPULOUS BLACK NATION IN THE WORLD), we will notice a series right from Aguiyi Ironsi down to Abacha, when they forcefully came into power they all said they took over in order to restore morals and good governance to the country, but @ the end it was observed that they all tried but there was no sincerity of purpose,
@ a point in time they become power drunk, loose focus and begin to witchhunt perceived opposition with agencies of the state that are supposed to  be protecting the people, they kill tax payers with bullets bought with tax payers money.

However, some of these past leaders actually had good economic policies on paper but the implementation processes were faulty because there was no sincerity of purpose, and in Nigeria there is no continuity, imagine OBJ and his economic reform policies of today, they are working well, look @ our food & drug industry(DORA),Banking sector(Soludo),stock exchange(Ndi Okereke), Ribadu`s EFCC,Okonjo Iweala to mention but a few.
However after now what happens??

Therefore i would like to vote for the third term bid of Mr. President not because he is the best candidate for the job but because there is no TESTED and CREDIBLE person for the job yet, nigeria is not an organization like NNPC or a Laboratory where we test things out.

OBJ has been there for like 7yrs now and so far i can score him above average, even though he rigged his way in and will also rig in the next election IF,

Pls anyone who know`s the man that can move this country forward should pls mention the name of such a person and we shall all come out in mass and vote OBJ out of ASO ROCK, because we really need a change, we cannot continue with a one party rule.
           GOD HELP US.
                                          King Jhorghe
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Lolyda(f): 1:04am On Mar 17, 2006
He thinks it's a family heritage,d finest monkey in Nigeria!
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by Hero(m): 6:46am On Mar 17, 2006
I got an good Idea. Let OBJ have his third term and by the time that is over,  current members of his team or political surrounding whom are doing such superb work will have become name worthy, savvy and popular enough to successfully contest for the big spot. Folks like Soludo or better yet, Ribadu. This is how it often has worked in the US. Folks gain notoriety and experience working under past presidents,  and then they go on to run for president themselves, and thus carry on the policies and works of the past presidents they labored under.

Who wouldn't want Ribadu for president or Saludo, after OBJ? I say OBJ in 2007 with Ribadu as his Vice, and then Ribadu in 2011. People are clambering for fresh blood in the presidency and the implementation of knew ideas and such; well Ribadu as the perfect guy to fill that wanting demand.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by nobody2: 10:29am On Mar 17, 2006
i am begining to consider a yes for the said third term based on his so called achievement in line with the arguements of pro-third term groups but my fear is since he is mortal, what if we vore him in for the third term and he happens to die on seat like oga Abacha did when all eyes were on him?
well, let OBJ sign agreement that he will not die even if the supernatural power intervens and that even if he dies he will neither leave aso rock nor stop been the president of the country.please for those of you who see obj as a saviour, it is time for second thought. there is death and what if this comes?
please oga OBJ please a gentle man and leave the constitution alone. instead of introducing a constant problem of constitution amendments, go back as a military maybe through coup. u were once a president under the military and now u are a civilain president better leave the constitution and opt for a coup afterall u had been accused of one in the past so are we surprise that u are introducing a coup with your constitutional amendments through such fools as Mantu
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by cabali(m): 3:54pm On Mar 17, 2006
i guess it is going to be third term afterall, so lets quit all this and discuss post-third term success
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by otokx(m): 11:44am On Mar 18, 2006
@cabali

nigeria is full of drama so don't rush to such a hasty conclusion.
Re: Third Term Agenda <Vote, Comments> by chanag: 7:43pm On Mar 18, 2006
The constitution is the national authoritative guideline for democracy. Any change in the constitution must be made to serve the interest of the nation and not to sustain power for anyone or group of people. It is unfortunate that all most all the frontline presidential aspirants are people Obasanjo have full knowledge of their past greedy and selfish political history, who the constitution should have barred in the first instance from contesting any political position in Nigeria. This include all the ex-military dictators who had embraced power at any level and whose leadership of the nation have kept Nigeria 5 decades behind the rest of developing nations like China, India, Singapore, Brazil etc.

In my opinion, Obasanjo love Nigeria, but his politcal weakness is in his failure to groom a candidate he would be proactive in suporting to the highest office who should continue with his philosophy of eliminating corruption and oversee economic growth for the country. His fight against corrupton started very late.

I would suggest that all the Nigerians that have ruled should step away from contesting any election in order that new breed politcal aspirants could contest on equal level playing field. If this is ignored, and bearing in mind that all the aspiring contestants contributed in the under-development in the country and institutionalisation of poverty while only a handfull of people live in unquantifiable affluent, I would support that Obasanjo should go for 3rd term.

The greatest wickedness in Nigeria is that a few people who had unusal opportunity to lead the country, stole to massively enrich themselves with Nigeria's wealth. The wickedness appears to be perpetuated by the intention of the same people attempting to come back to continue from where they stopped in the looting of public fund by bulldozing their way back with the wealth they illegally acquired.

If all the past leaders are excluded, then Obasanjo should go. In my opinion, this government's acheievment may not be visibly transforming policies into food on the table, but some foundation has been laid for that to happen if only subsequent governments would not just turn the table and continue on the part of patronage that end up benefitting very few frineds and cronies.

People should feel free to agree or disagree with my opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bomb Discovered At Umudo Village In Imo / Military Operations Already Yielding Results – Presidency / INEC Declares PDP's Ugwueze Winner Of Isi-Uzo Bye-Election, Enugu Youths React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.