Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,675 members, 7,951,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 03:36 AM

Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine (6002 Views)

Please How Much Does It Cost To Ring VW Passat 2008 Engine In Abuja / What Is The Best Engine Oil To Use For Chrysler Voyager 3.3L Engine / In Need Of A Toyota Camry 2008 Engine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by diportivo: 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2019
gazzuzz

u need to do valentine's day giveaway so this oye ekiti domiciled lecturer can let u rest grin

if this can happen to a well maintained car,what's the fate of badly maintained ones??

I'm sure this occurs often....has to be something about the engine itself

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2019
MotorGuru:
The intake valve was damaged.

Could there have been a possibility of the engine ingesting a foreign object apart form air?

. Possible but highly unlikely engine was just serviced and air filter replaced. Vehicle also covered over 20miles before shutting down

3 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by MotorGuru: 4:22pm On Feb 01, 2019
diportivo:
gazzuzz

u need to do valentine's day giveaway so this oye ekiti domiciled lecturer can let u rest grin

if this can happen to a well maintained car,what's the fate of badly maintained ones??

I'm sure this occurs often....has to be something about the engine itself

My sentiments..
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by nurey(m): 4:22pm On Feb 01, 2019
The lambda 3.3L V6 has been known to require valve adjustment like the old days, because obviously the design engineers skipped it.

“A noisy valve is a happy valve.” Sort of true- way too loose can make the thing wear out faster (although way too tight can burn a valve during one good highway run.)

You burned the valve during a good highway run, crown bent first, on the return leg, it hit the piston at and odd angle like a knife through butter trapped on the piston, the continous movement finished the remaining work.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:41pm On Feb 01, 2019
I am around naw.....

My take? Ride was taken to the village this Xmas.... Villagers were not happy as baba has always claimed there is no money....

Likely cause? Villagers added something to the car before owner came back.

Sorry but since everyone has pointed out one thing or the other..... I'm left with this...

**"spreads mat**

12 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by MotorGuru: 5:27pm On Feb 01, 2019
nurey:
The lambda 3.3L V6 has been known to require valve adjustment like the old days, because obviously the design engineers skipped it.

“A noisy valve is a happy valve.” Sort of true- way too loose can make the thing wear out faster (although way too tight can burn a valve during one good highway run.)

You burned the valve during a good highway run, crown bent first, on the return leg, it hit the piston at and odd angle like a knife through butter trapped on the piston, the continous movement finished the remaining work.

Interesting perspective:

But i think this engine uses bucket shims in which any adjustment would require the replacement of the shim (unlike Honda K24 engines). Do you mean that it required the inspection and replacement of all 24 valve shims at specific mileages?

Btw this engine was fist introduced in 2006.

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:04pm On Feb 01, 2019
MotorGuru:

Interesting perspective:

But i think this engine uses bucket shims in which any adjustment would require the replacement of the shim (unlike Honda K24 engines). Do you mean that it required the inspection and replacement of all 24 valve shims at specific mileages?

you are correct, no valve adjustment, engine was exactly 100,004miles when it left workshop.

4 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by snipesdam(m): 7:04pm On Feb 01, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

you are correct, no valve adjustment, engine was exactly 100,004miles when it left workshop.
MotorGuru:

Interesting perspective:

What adjustment would cause the replacement of it's bucket shims? Why would the shims be replaced at specific mileages? Toyota and Honda engines go long miles without having this issue...

Thus, does this mean the lamba engine is unreliable?

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by fuckboys: 7:31pm On Feb 01, 2019
Well I see no build up of carbon from the pics tho, but what if all carbon buildup has been cleaned thoroughly prior to the picture taken?. That's another dimension to look Sha, just thinking out loud

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by ojeysky(m): 8:18pm On Feb 01, 2019
fuckboys:
Well I see no build up of carbon from the pics tho, but what if all carbon buildup has been cleaned thoroughly prior to the picture taken?. That's another dimension to look Sha, just thinking out loud

Imagine a doctor that takes his sick patient to his colleagues for team work diagnosis yet shield the details of the patient from them.....I hope you will agree it doesn't make sense.

12 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by MotorGuru: 8:21pm On Feb 01, 2019
fuckboys:

That would be very unlikely.
This is a port injected engine and not a direct injected one, so the intake valves will always be clean, as it receives a steady rinse from the injectors ( nozzles)

If it was a GDI engine, then seeing carbon buildup at the intake valve will not be a surprise.

3 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:03pm On Feb 01, 2019
MotorGuru:

That would be very unlikely.
This is a port injected engine and not a direct injected one, so the intake valves will always be clean, as it receives a steady rinse from the injectors ( nozzles)

If it was a GDI engine, then seeing carbon buildup at the intake valve will not be a surprise.

seems you don't understand the 3 jesters up there. He is antiGazzuzz, masturbates on any thread I create.

5 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:05pm On Feb 01, 2019
for the record this is purely educational, and engine replacement is already procured.

5 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by MotorGuru: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

seems you don't understand the 3 jesters up there. He is antiGazzuzz, masturbates on any thread I create.

grin

I know sir.

Sometimes, we need to bless the ignorant with some education. Perhaps they might change for the better.

3 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by CityNGR: 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2019
No wonder he did not fix it properly the first time..... replacement agenda

4 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by 9icetoo(m): 9:54pm On Feb 01, 2019
Here is what I think.
That particular cylinder developed a hot spot, probably on a plug which lead to detonation. This detonation created pits on the cylinder head.
Each time plugs are changed, the symptom goes away until more materials are deposited from the pit on the new plug and the cycle starts all over again.
Eventually, the detonation (preignition) melts the top of the piston.
What I don't get is what broke off the valve.

2 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by nurey(m): 11:51pm On Feb 01, 2019
MotorGuru:

Interesting perspective:

like i said the valve needs checking for adjustment on that lambda engine. It's a very tough job, mostly in the states they just sell off the car due to cost of doing it. Even DIY guys shy away from it, it's not an easy job.

Excerpts from online forums

"Posts on a Hyundai forum suggest that their 3.3L engine has the camshaft driving solid buckets, rather than having self-adjusting hydraulic lifters (as in every other car I have driven)"

"I just read in the Haynes Repair Manual (#43055) page 2B-11 that the 3.3L V6 engine use bucket-style lifters that must be replaced with ones of the proper thickness in order to adjust valve clearances.
Has anybody here ever heard of this? Have you ever had it done?"

"it does say to adjust the valves in the owners manual, but ehh the cost to do it...."
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by mayor2013: 1:38am On Feb 02, 2019
We
9icetoo:
Here is what I think.
That particular cylinder developed a hot spot, probably on a plug which lead to detonation. This detonation created pits on the cylinder head.
Each time plugs are changed, the symptom goes away until more materials are deposited from the pit on the new plug and the cycle starts all over again.

Excessive heat. Have had a case of a broken valve from a Hyundai Tucson 2005 as a result of excessive over heat the centre of the crown broke off. One thing have come to find out is materials used on this valves vary across manufacturers. I had another case of excessive overheating of a Lexus rx300 and no broken valves on it. Same valves were reused
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by mayor2013: 1:40am On Feb 02, 2019
9icetoo:
Here is what I think.

From all angles you are very correct. This was exactly what happened
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by mayor2013: 7:10am On Feb 02, 2019
ojeysky:

Imagine a doctor that takes his sick patient to his colleagues for team work diagnosis yet shield the details of the patient from them.....I hope you will agree it doesn't make sense.

BMW contacts Bosch during production of most of their vehicles. Mecerdes Benz contacts Bosch as well during production of most of their vehicles that's why you see most parts come in Bosch. Toyota contacts denso, Aisin, Bose and many Innovative companies for production of some components.
This Is what you call an informal approach to learning. So you better sit down relax, hush your mouth and be attentive so as not to miss better ideological information ahead of you in the automobile repair industry

2 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by jarkbauer: 7:53am On Feb 02, 2019
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by jarkbauer: 7:54am On Feb 02, 2019
I didn't expect a car that's managed by gazzuzz to park up like this. If you were a kazeem I would argued that you deliberately damaged it so you can replace the engine. The oyinbo owner probably didn't maintain this well.

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 02, 2019
mayor2013:

BMW contacts Bosch during production of most of their vehicles. Mecerdes Benz contacts Bosch as well during production of most of their vehicles that's why you see most parts come in Bosch. Toyota contacts denso, Aisin, Bose and many Innovative companies for production of some components.
This Is what you call an informal approach to learning. So you better sit down relax, hush your mouth and be attentive so as not to miss better ideological information ahead of you in the automobile repair industry

Looks like u completely missed this one.

5 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by radautoworks: 9:17am On Feb 02, 2019
Valve broke piston. Maybe clip broke and flew off.
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by radautoworks: 9:20am On Feb 02, 2019
MotorGuru:

Wouldn't that be a case of a blocked exhaust( catalyst)?

Good. Someone said it not me
Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by radautoworks: 9:21am On Feb 02, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

I follow you salute

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by diportivo: 9:38am On Feb 02, 2019
radautoworks:

I follow you salute

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by ojeysky(m): 10:04am On Feb 02, 2019
mayor2013:

Actually you missed the point, I was only pointing to the previous fuckboy poster that it doesn't make sense that Gazzuz will clean off the carbon as there is noting he will achieve from doing that.

Fyi Gazzuz has done stuff to my car and provided support (both remote and physical) that has significantly reduce any doubt I may have on his actions. So if you wish do not put me in the "fuckboy" category

2 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by CityNGR: 11:40am On Feb 02, 2019
jarkbauer:
I didn't expect a car that's managed by gazzuzz to park up like this. If you were a kazeem I would argued that you deliberately damaged it so you can replace the engine. The oyinbo owner probably didn't maintain this well.

ON POINT

1 Like

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 02, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
for the record this is purely educational, and engine replacement is already procured.

I'm curious though, since the engine failed at around a hundred thousand miles, why replace with another of similar mileage especially as the failure could be inherent to the engine as suggested by a couple of posters.

6 Likes

Re: Engine Autopsy 3.3L V6 242 Hp Hyundai Santafe 2008 Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:49pm On Feb 02, 2019
rationalmind:

I'm curious though, since the engine failed at around a hundred thousand miles, why replace with another of similar mileage especially as the failure could be inherent to the engine as suggested by a couple of posters.

Lack of choices. This is the lowest mileage I could find.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Camry 2000 Model Radiator Water Dries Up Quickly / Btw Avalon 2008 And Accord 2009/2010: / Plate Number Allocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.