Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,660 members, 7,930,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 02:00 PM

4Barr's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 4Barr's Profile / 4Barr's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (of 5 pages)

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 10:24pm On Jul 24, 2019
Claire18:
Landing gist

Do research before choosing, cos the process is not like ours in Naija, there are other banks to choose from, whichever works for you. Best Advice is to avoid credit cards from malls like Walmart, Canadian tyres etc. I have heard it from 3 different folks. Stick to banks alone

Everyday is a journey. Hoping for the Best!... love from Calgary❤❤❤…

Welcome to Calgary; hope you are loving the blue skies already.

On the credit card issue, I want to disabuse your mind about strictly sticking with banks, it totally depends on your preferences and the best thing is to do your research properly and roll with the one that most suits your needs. For example, the Scotiabank Scene card allows you to accumulate points and get free movies just by using your card for things you were going to buy anyways, Canadian Tire Bank MasterCard also has CT money which you get when you use your card and you can redeem to buy stuff at Canadian Tire, SportChek, Atmosphere and other participating locations. It also offers you the opportunity to buy items (that are little bit on the high side which may cause a dent on your bi-weekly paycheck or pof) and pay for them for a period of 12months. Say you need to buy a good winter jacket, instead of paying 200 CAD today, you can spread your payments for up to 12months with no fee or interest…just the same amount. It also offers road side assistance which comes in handy when you get a car and also LDW for Car rentals at no extra cost. Other cards can also get you travel points/air miles redeemable for travels and hotels. Most regular bank cards won’t give you these options except for the high-end ones, so it all comes down to what you really consider as valuable to you eh!

51 Likes 40 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2019
Jaygirl20:
My Landing Gist!

Those Ethiopians were just serving food like every 3 hours - 'chicken or beef?' grin.. Landed in Toronto and my landing process was a breeze!

To everyone on this journey, thanks for all the helpful information and may our new land favour us all.

LOL @ Chicken or beef?

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 11:13pm On Apr 25, 2019
kylexy61:

OMG!! Thank you soooo much for this. I just subscribed to the free 2-day trial service. I'm stoked. Access to tv channels from pretty much everywhere in the world.

Awesome!

Nice, I find the option cheaper than infringing IP rights cos you get to pay although not as expensive as the likes of NETFLIX, CRAVE etc and it has better coverage in terms of actual TV. If you are a GOT fan, tune in to HBO East (under USA) or Sky Atlantic (under UK) 7:00pm every Sunday to watch the show live. Cheers!

You can also use this link to see the channels showing any football match, too many channels can be overwhelming sometimes. https://bestbuyiptv.net/soccer-schedule/

28 Likes 48 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 7:06pm On Apr 25, 2019
salford:

Some say the company (if serious) can get a court order and the isp will have no choice but to expose the customer.

"How names, addresses are revealed:
Now, studios are identifying an IP address, suing the unknown person associated with that address and then getting a Norwich order through the Federal Court of Canada against the internet service provider to obtain the customer's name and address."

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5100700

A friend streamed a tv show (GOT) via popcorn and received a notice from the isp. I believe they track anysite that host torrents.

I think its safe to avoid popcorn cos there are different versions out there, some safe and some otherwise except you are using a VPN.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 11:50pm On Apr 04, 2019
einsteino:
Occasionally, I am approached to give insights on life in Canada, Jobs and integration. I am not quite sure I am in a good position to answer as I have only been here for barely half a year, and then again I can't possibly know the prospects for every field and every person, so its hard for me to say anything specific to a wide population, and I am quite cautious making uninformed statements that could end up being the bedrock of someone's life decision. Nonetheless, I feel if I scribble some ramblings about what I think and have experienced, there maybe a thing or two to take from it. I have chosen to reply here to leverage on the possibility of people who may know better to peer-review and correct the errors in my thoughts.

Why all these isn't false, I think the most important thing for people reading this (that are yet to land) to note is to be open minded. The truth is not every story is applicable to all. I have friends that got jobs within weeks of landing at multi-nationals and some of the Big 6 Banks, on the other hand I have friends still searching for jobs after six months (unable to even get survival jobs like he said). I personally never worked a survival job since I landed in Canada almost eight months ago and I got a job exactly six-weeks after landing. What i'm trying to infer is that everything @einsteino said isn't false but just as 'getting a job easily' doesn't apply to all, 'working survival jobs' won't apply to all too. Come to Canada with an open mind that anything is possible and you won't be disappointed , but above all hope for the very best.

65 Likes 9 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 4:16pm On Apr 03, 2019
purplerain:
Hello.

I want to invite my mum, and i would please like to know if i must notorize the letter of invitation.
Would appreciate your response

Nope, you dont need to, just make sure that you attach your PR card (front & back) and in the letter's content you include the following;
- Your full name
- Your residential address (and include a copy of your lease agreement showing your name as tenant and also that your mum will be staying there with you with no recourse to public funds)
-Your employment details (where you work, if its full time state it also, if not you can be silent on that)
- Quote your mum's travel document number and the duration of her visit (ideally state that its for a month or two)
- Refer to the purpose of the trip and get your mum to also write a separate letter stating her purpose of visit too and make sure the travel dates matches on both letters
- State unequivocally that you'll be responsible for her expenses even if she's submitting her bank statements ( you can avoid this if you dont have a full-time job yet)
- State her DOB on the letter and her contact information
- Attach your employment documents, paystubs and bank statements (depending on your financial status)
- Also attach your mum's bank statements (depending on her financial status too)
- Finally include your detailed contact address, phone number and email address too.

62 Likes 78 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 11:16pm On Apr 01, 2019
jelmusboy:
I'm asking question about visit visa and not the super visa. Does my mother-in-law need to show evidence of income or can I write a letter to show that I will be responsible for her expenses?

I'm just worried about the finance part

It depends on your own financial status. I processed Visit visa for both my mum and mother-in-law within a month and they were both approved within two weeks of completion of biometrics. for my mum's application she submitted her own bank statements while for my mother-in-law we submitted our own bank statements from Canada, employment letter and payslips. PS the latter will depend on your current financial employment status.

10 Likes 20 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2019
hayor2014:
People coming to Calgary.....

1) DO NOT book an AIRBNB in the NW ....it's the end of the world... In my opinion

2) Ensure to write your address in your pocket, should your phone die, that paper can save your life, especially during winter/cold.

3) Before leaving home during winter, charge your phone properly, the cold drains battery.

3) Uber fees are crazy here, please learn and perfect the use of Google map from Naija.... You will need the CALGARY TRANSIT APP.....

4) DON use the Calgary Transit app with small kids when you never Sabi use am oooo, if you lost, do it on your own, don't torture the little kids..nah you come Sabi

5) A Nigerian needs to come open a barbershop in this Calgary... Around downtown oooo.... Don't carry us to the bush....

try Sids Hair Studio its around downtown close to Sunalta on 12th Avenue. They are ethiopians and the are very good with clippers. lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 4:05pm On Mar 27, 2019
Nono16:
Good morning house,
Pls I'm asking for a friend.
She will be landing in a few days and she wants to get health insurance from here for a family of 4.

Pls should she go ahead and do it from here? I think ethopian air travel insurance , heard it covers the 1st 3months after landing.

Or is there any other way to get insurance before the Canadian one kicks in (considering it takes roughly 3months)? Or should she wait till she arrives Canada? She has small kids 2& 8yrs . Although they are not sickly, but shes just trying to be cautious.

What's your take pls.?

Is she going to Ontario? Health coverage doesn't take three months to kick in everywhere. As a matter of fact, its immediately you land in Alberta.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 6:10pm On Feb 11, 2019
Adiepena:
Hello landed Seniors,
Trust y’all keeping well.
Am landing in Calgary early April. I started my accommodation search early cos am traveling with my kids. I must say this accommodation thingy is not a walk in the park at all. Without employment, credit history or references no one is willing to rent. When u find one too, it’s an adult only building or single occupancy �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️.
Immediately you tell them you are a newcomer, end of conversation.
My friend went for viewing of another place on Friday and as usual no employment wahala. She insists on taking 6months rent upfront.....I was negotiating for 3months upfront but proving difficult. Even though I can afford the 6months rent upfront, giving out such an amount early on in this journey freaks me.
I need your honest opinions pls.
Thank you

it also helps if you can find someone to co-sign with you though.
Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
jjohndoe83:

Thank you for this. Quite straight forward. I was wondering whether articling is remunerated?
Generally Articling is remunerated because at that stage you do everything a Lawyer does, the only difference is that you have to be under a Principal for that period so depending on the size of the firm, Articling Students are well paid over and above the required minimum wage.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2019
pepe1:

Boss, longest time.

Good to hear from you.

Trust Canada is doing you good.

We are doing good but this cold no be here sha.
Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2019
einsteino:

I'm sorry, I don't know much about the pathway for lawyers here. Thanks @AzeD1 for helping with that

1. Get your credentials assessed by the NCA (LLB, BL, Letter of good standing from the NBA)
2. Write the exams assessed by the NCA - This is an average of five exams depending on your core LLB courses and can be completed within a year or less depending on your schedule and pocket(�).
3. Pass the exams and get a certificate of qualification from the NCA
4. Apply and register with a law society of the your choice province. Remember you will have to apply again to another province if you change your province.
5. Enroll in the Articling program for a year or apply for waiver (this is a long-shot but some people have tried it before based on their years of experience and got it reduced to six months). In Ontario you will also have to write the Bar exams separately but in Alberta they do CPLED during the Articling programme instead. There's also an alternative to Articling in Ontario which is done through a Law school.
6. Upon completion of your Articling programme, you get called to the Bar and you can start enjoying the fruit of your labour.

18 Likes 12 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2019
Tojued:
Good day everyone.

Please those in Calgary / with knowledge of Calgary.

The North East has a bad reputation, but I believe there are some neighborhoods there that are relatively safe, especially within context of raising children. Please can we share experiences of such neighborhoods?

Abi North East na total no-go area?

Try Skyview Ranch, or Taradale in the North East

5 Likes 3 Shares

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2019
Threemg:
Seniors in the house abegg I want to know this: Forest dey to hunt for games (bushmeat: Etu, Okete, Oya, Agborin, Emor, Ikun etc) in Canada? Like all these Olode and his dogs setting

Have you heard about animal rights before? Thou shall not kill bushmeat without permit here o. I even heard a snake was caught in someone's toilet and the authorities came for it and let it back out in the wild.
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 by 4Barr: 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
Wow! its part 6 already, last time I was here was Part 3. Congrats to all that recently got ITAs and PPR.

9 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 6:37am On Aug 15, 2018
Ethelia:

Congratulations grin grin Although I'm still waiting to receive COPR, I've started getting stuff ready since I intend to do a short landing in October, God willing. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now;

1. How comfortable was the trip? did you have a straight flight or is it better to take a connecting one so I can rest and stretch my feet between flights?

2. Thinking of landing in Alberta, how easy or stressful was it getting a doctors appointment and Obgyn in such a short period?

3. Are there any particular documents the Obgyn requested for to make the process easier? (I already intend to take all lab and scan results with me)

4. Costs; I've already done some baby shopping grin seeing as its just a short landing, is it more economical to take the baby stuff I have with me or is it cheaper to just buy there? I'm not very particular about our local food so I don't need to use more than 40% of my baggage allowance for foodstuff.

Thanks a lot

I'm sure the bolded will change when you land especially when you see what they sell in Canadian Restaurants and how expensive naija food is in limited restaurants.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 6:35am On Aug 15, 2018
Stratnergy:
Good day house.

I have a question on compatibility of Nigerian phones with Canadian networks.

I attended a Planning for Canada event in Nigeria and was told that phones like Tecno and Infinix are not compatible with the network over there.

Is this in relation to double SIM phones or brand of phone? I'm using a Samsung double SIM phone and I don't want phone to be part of what I worry about when I get to Canada.

Your advice pls.

God bless

While other Android phones may work, please forget Tecno & Infinix. they don't even know them

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 7:45am On Jul 17, 2018
einsteino:

Please the photos are of which city?
Calgary, Alberta
Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 8:55am On Jul 13, 2018

4 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 8:53am On Jul 13, 2018
TFLASHOGEE:
plz I will be landing late October on students visa can some one help with price on one way ticket and more pic on the thread will be fun for we intending new comer

6 Likes

Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2018
CanadianWasp:
Hi all,

Long post alert!

Wanted to post this for a long while but when Vfs/Accra say wait, you wait, lol.

So I got copr. My timeline:

ITA: March 26, 2018

PPR: May 18 (dated May 17)
Passports submitted: May 22
Approved: June 12
PUM: June 20

May our desires on this journey, come to pass smiley.

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2018
BlackMimir:
My people, that's how I saw one mail today from CPC o (with many steps and one family information form). It appears they asked for my passport. Having waited for like four months me I don't even know if it's PPR sef. My status on my application profile didn't change so...abeg make the elders advice accordingly.

Congrats..This is PPR!

4 Likes

Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 9:34pm On Jun 14, 2018
katyamizotta:

To you Lord Jesus be all the glory!

OINP PNP
AOR: 1st October 2017

PPR today June 14th 2018

At some point I Lost faith and had to start praying and reading books on faith to build mine up. God is the rewarder of our faith.
And thanks so much to one stubborn sister who refused to allow me give up.

Congratulations
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2018
ysteph:
Relax. It's just 1pm in Canada. ECA can come before close of business for them. If not,so soon thereafter
Lol...the language of the law

1 Like 1 Share

Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2018
Exceedingfaith:
Good morning all,pls does IQAS send soft copy online of assessment which can be used once completed or i have to wait for hard copy to be delivered.
Thank you and have a great day.

Except the process has changed, IQAS will send you a soft copy ahead of the hard copy which you can use for your application. All you need is the soft copy really.
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 9:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Abbylee:
Hi guys, I got PPR yesterday.

My application was onehow so I’m sharing all the details should someone find himself or herself in this situation.

My husband got his PPR and COPR before we got married. His application was processed in Ottawa while mine was in London.

His timeline below;

My account was also updated with my husband as a dependant.
PPR: 1st June

Another PPR for my hubby: 5th June.

NB: We sent our passports separately

Congrats...you won!
Travel / Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 2:15pm On May 16, 2018
TheCongo2:
Moving violation tickets.

If the police pull you over and give you a ticket for any moving violation such as going through a red light, or going over the speed limit, or making unsafe lane change , going through a stop sign, reckless driving … , you will be given the option of either to pay the ticket or to fight the ticket in court.

Guys, you should NEVER agree to pay the moving violation ticket without fighting it in court first. Always fight your moving violation ticket in court. The reason is that the minute you pay the ticket, the moving violation infraction will go on the driving record. And as a result of this, your insurance payment will go higher.

And this is how you can fight a moving violation ticket in court.

Immediately after the officer gives you the ticket, make sure all the information is correct, including anything identifying you or describing your car. Make sure your name isn’t misspelled. Make sure the all the digits of your VIN number that the officer wrote on your ticket are also correct.
Missing or incorrect information on your ticket may be grounds for dismissal.

In most jurisdictions, the police officer who issued your ticket is required to show up at your hearing. If he does not appear, your ticket may be dismissed automatically.

In other jurisdictions, on the ticket you will be asked whether or not you want the officer to show up at the hearing. If that is the case, check the box for the officer to be present. In so doing, if the officer doesn’t show, the judge will toss the ticket away.

In many cases, officers in Toronto don’t show up in court. They are too busy. Therefore, many moving violations cases are thrown out of court in Toronto because the police officers don’t show up. But in London, the police officers are most likely to show up in court

So, if you live in a jurisdiction where a police is most likely to show up in court, consider changing the court date when you get one. Typically the officer who issued your ticket already has that date in his schedule and plans to attend several hearings that day. If you have the date of your hearing changed, there's a greater possibility the officer won't show up.

Once the ticket date has been changed and the new date of hearing is approaching, consider changing the date again. This will increase the chances that the officer isn’t available to show up. In other words, keep changing the hearing date as much as possible.

And when you are facing the judge and the officer in court, this is how you can fight the ticket:

Challenge the officer’s version of event as much as possible. When the officer finish talking, the judge will give you the opportunity to speak. Ask the officer questions. Try to establish some doubt in the officer’s mind and the judge mind. You may ask the officer how certain he was that it was your car that was over speeding.

Common arguments involve casting doubt on the officer’s story. Defendants often argue that the speed measuring unit wasn’t used properly, or their view of a stop sign was obstructed.

Please note that moving violation ticket is different from parking ticket. The parking ticket doesn’t go on your record nor does has any effect on your insurance. So, if you have a parking ticket just pay it unless you have strong reason to believe the ticket should be dismissed.

Wawu

1 Like

Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 2:04pm On May 04, 2018
Uzzyan:
Good morning people.

Viewed my result online and I got L8.0 R9.0 S7.5 W8.0 Overall Band 8.0

Please is this good enough or should I ask for a remark for my speaking?

I thought I would get a better score. This is my first attempt!

Feedback is needed please.

wow remark ke? dive into the pool sharply.
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 1:57pm On May 04, 2018
Congrats
wholesomegrace:
Emmmm, please I just checked my mail, saw notification and logged into my account only to find this. I'm still checking the link to find out what I'm supposed to do.

I didn't get any PPR mail so I guess this is the new process.

@ Kaybigdad, lets exchange notes abeg

YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA(S) APPEAR(S) READY TO BE ISSUED, IF THERE HAS BEEN NO
CHANGE IN YOUR FAMILY CONFIGURATION. IF THERE HAVE BEEN ANY CHANGES,
PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE BEFORE PROCEEDING.
PASSPORT(S)
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 4Barr: 8:36am On May 02, 2018
SkyWalk12:
Conspiracy Theory: GlitteringStar and CanadianFly are the same person.

Discuss (30 marks)

Alter Ego?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (of 5 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.