Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,079 members, 7,967,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 09:57 AM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (135473 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 5:03pm On Aug 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

Even today, there are sizable numbers of Igbo people changing their last name to English names, mainly to take their fathers' first names. Those Igbo kings took on English names. Igbo find change of name very easy. We don't hold fast much to Igbo names.

komando.:

Because Igbos wanted the English traders not to bite their tongues pronouncing some words. Remember that is the same complaint against Igbo use of English in Nollywood.

Why didnt Igbos in the great Igbo trading ports like Onitsha and Aboh change their name to English name?

Answer this and you will find the truth.

Obiagu1:

@ Ibime,
Your line of argument doesn’t provide us with any new information. I’ve challenged you to provide evidence that King Pepple was not Igbo and you haven’t. I’ll wait till you do that.

Pepples answer names like Fubara and Opubo.

To help you, its either

(a.) He is Ijaw
(b.) He is Igbo, but changed his name to Ijaw to fit in

Pick one, it makes no difference.

Obiagu1:

Heck we even take Ijaw names. cool

Question:

Why would Igbo man change his name to Ijaw name in "Igbo land"

Answer:

Igbo man would change his name to Ijaw name in Ijaw land

Assignment:

Find me one house in Ibani with Igbo name.

grin grin grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by bkbabe97y(m): 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2010
na_so:

This thread remains the fastest growing thread, or . . . or . . .  or . . . . I mean has someone mentioned ojukwu,or biafra? grin grin grin

Nope, I mean, try it and see what happens. . . . . . . grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2010
@ibime.you are wishing away your igbo roots for no just cause.okrika speaks igbo only as a second language while bonny and opobo speak igbo as a first language.it is undeniably true that there is high mix of igbo in bonny and okrika.take a good look at yourself in the mirror and tell me if you look like ijaw.in pre-colonial times,most bonny people admitted that they were of igbo origin and formerly spoke both igbo and ibani but later had to drop ibani for their ancestral igbo language.they earlier adopted (ibani)ijaw in order to prevent other igbos from decoding their marketing strategy.just do your research.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naso2(m): 6:01pm On Aug 31, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Nope, I mean, try it and see what happens. . . . . . . grin

whitlow do you for hand? why not try it yourself. Abeg i fit'nt do it , i am "afraiding" grin grin grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawgirl: 6:08pm On Aug 31, 2010
this guy, lol! abaogorogo!
Why are you so obsessed abt looks? grin
Ijaws in the East married Europeans back in the day
during the slave trade/oil palm trade many Igbo people were also adopted into Ijaw families in RS
n many Ijaws in Rivers state marry ndiIgbo

Western Ijaws
Ijaws in Delta state, Bayelsa, Ondo intermarry with the Isoko's, urhobos and yorubas
due to proximity etc
. . we are not going to look the same

the Ijaw Nation is diverse with looks, culture etc
Physical Appearance is not only factor
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by FACE(m): 6:46pm On Aug 31, 2010
Ibime:

Song by Nembe people:

Erika nimiga ye re biyo bo
Igbobo ebetu tubo re o fe ma
Tubo re o nyana ma, Nembe n'ongu?

Translation:

I ask this out of ignorance
They say he is an Igbo, but who bought him?
And who is his master, people of Nembe?

Lesson:

There are 67 houses in Bonny. Name one house with Igbo name.

Anyone can make up a song and sing anything they feel like singing, doesn't make the song true.

Is it not possible that not everyone belongs to a house ? The Pepple house had Igbo originators. Some of the non-English names you imagine are Ijaw names might have meant something to the Igbo who settled there.

For example, the name of my clan "Afara" does not have any Igbo meaning to me. The following kindreds are found in my clan: Ohokobe, UmuOkeyi, Ohobo, Agata, Ishiama and one or two others.

Apart from UmuOkeyi and Ishiama, the remaining ones have no Igbo meaning to me, but might have had  meanings to my ancestors. There are many names like that in Ibeku and throughout Igbo land; does it make them non Igbos ? No, because I can trace the history of my own Ama to nearly 400 years in terms of who begat who and I know that at least Ohokobe and Okeyi were related and so do all the clans in Afara. The same applies to the non-Igbo sounding names in Bonny.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 6:55pm On Aug 31, 2010
Abagworo:

@ibime.you are wishing away your igbo roots for no just cause.okrika speaks igbo only as a second language while bonny and opobo speak igbo as a first language.it is undeniably true that there is high mix of igbo in bonny and okrika.

This debate is not about genetics. It can be agreed that up to 80% of Eastern Ijaws have Igbo blood in them.

Once again, this debate is about land. Stay focused!  grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by chyz(m): 7:01pm On Aug 31, 2010
ijaw_girl:

during the slave trade/oil palm trade many Igbo people were also adopted into Ijaw families in RS

Western Ijaws
Ijaws in Delta state, Bayelsa, Ondo intermarry with the Isoko's, urhobos and yorubas
due to proximity etc

As far as looks go.when i was in Rivers this past january it was confirmed to me that the ijaws have some of the beautiful woman down there so if anybody says they dont look good its lies lol.

Anyways lets get back to the basics instead all of these insults back and forward. Im not really understanding the whole Ibani thing as far as language goes. Since you are Ijaw you speak Ijaw right?Is Ibani a different language from Ijaw language? Another thing, i think okrika people are ijaw although alot are with igbo blood but why is it that alot get so quick to say they are not ijaws that they are different.?Is it something similar to how an igbo from ikwerre denies that he's Igbo or something and if so why?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 7:10pm On Aug 31, 2010
Ibime:

This debate is not about genetics. It can be agreed that up to 80% of Eastern Ijaws have Igbo blood.

Once again, this debate is about land. Stay focused!  grin

Very true.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 7:36pm On Aug 31, 2010
I have read a lot of stories on this thread a lot informative and many especially from Dede1 leaves a lot to be desired. Many respondents fall into the trap of making up theories and finding facts to back their theories rather than following the facts to the theory.

The question of the true extent of Igboland becomes an issue when one begins to think about Biafra and the possibilities of a new country and many of these new breed Biafrans have not learnt anything new. They actually believe Ojukwu didn't make any mistake yet blamed a people they are currently insisting are Igbos for their loss.

It is really amazing how indigenes of a group of Islands purported to have been founded and Inhabited by Igbos until 1970 suddenly begin to speak a new language and bear names Igbo people can't decipher the meaning except the ludicrous attempts by some on this forum saying that SOTONYE is an Igbo name grin grin grin grin

Like Ibime would say, genetically, many Ijaw people have Igbo blood in them due to lots of inter-marriage and adoption. However, to say Finima indigenes are not Ijaw or there is no such people like Dede1 would allude as Kalabari or Okrika. He provides no reason why these people have a language, culture and food different from what he claims they are.

I find it very patronising for someone to accuse me of prejudice (Richyblack) yet have no qualms when someone on his side of the argument (Dede1) completely makes mockery of the existence of Kalabari people. Even goes ahead to twist Kalabari names/words Amayanabo, Oweredaba, Owukori and Otaji to sound Igbo meanwhile these Kalabari words have their own meaning and does not have the same meaning in his invented supposed Igbo variant.

The crude oil in the delta is really a big deal else no one in their right senses who go so low to do this in an effort to prove something that doesn't exist.

One advice for the Igbo people on this thread. Before you begin to make claims and counter claims,travel to RV state and BY state. NOT PH, go to Buguma, Bonny, Okrika, Yenagoa and learn about the people and then come to your conclusions. You do not need some miswritten historical books to know the true extent of Alaigbo if you do visit these areas.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:42pm On Aug 31, 2010
Let us just leave off the Ojukwu/Biafra issue, on this one please.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2010
I don't know much about Orika people and their history except that i've always seen as Ijaws in Rivers state and that know how to speak Igbo just like Opobo and Bonny people. Why is it that whenever people argue about topics like "Ikwerres are Igbos", Kwale people are not Igbo. Hardly will you see anybosy from those area confirming thos ascertions. Pls is there anybody from Okrika on these forum? Even though there may be divergent views, let's just et the opinion of at leats one person.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2010
@ Chinenye,

I'm 11 post ahead of you. Catch me if you can.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 7:53pm On Aug 31, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Let us just leave off the Ojukwu/Biafra issue, on this one please.

I was just trying to find out why some brazen mistruths are bandied around and others are accepting them as fact. In all 25 pages, I haven't seen anyone move position or bothered to check if their position is wrong.

So I was thinking it had to be that reason but if it isn't then why do you think some people (komando and Dede1) continue to make up stories to prove something that isn't. But I would probably leave that out if that isn't the reason.

My own stance on this tired matter (Abagworo opened a thread a while ago on something like this) is that Igbo people like Dede1 have to recognise the existence of the Riverine Ijaw people as their cousins rather than serfs that can be used for territorial purposes and bullied when necessary.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2010
ow11:

I was just trying to find out why some brazen mistruths are bandied around and others are accepting them as fact. In all 25 pages, I haven't seen anyone move position or bothered to check if their position is wrong.

Have you also checked if your own position is wrong.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by abadaba(m): 7:57pm On Aug 31, 2010
ijaw_girl:

Western Ijaws
due to proximity etc

This dirty daughter of a prostituting mother is at her game again. This time it is Abaogogoro. Why do you have to insult Abagworo when he has not done so to you?.
@Ijaw girl or whatever useless name you gave yourself, the only way you will have peace in your worthless life is to forgo Igbo issues. Since all the insults on you is not effective, I will design a way that will eliminate your moronic brains forever, ccunt-assz.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2010
afam4eva:

Have you also checked if your own position is wrong.

I conceded that we are cousins and did not know that even the Amayanabo of Okrika had Igbo ancestry. Hence, Okrika people are Ijaws with Igbo mixed with them just like Bonny and Opobo people.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 8:14pm On Aug 31, 2010
Quote from Bk
Nope, I mean, try it and see what happens. . . . . . .

@ Bk
Good you know what could happen
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2010
Ow11, oh okay. In that case then, that's understandable.

Ibime:

This debate is not about genetics. It can be agreed that up to 80% of Eastern Ijaws have Igbo blood in them.
Once again, this debate is about land. Stay focused!  grin
ow11:

You do not need some miswritten historical books to know the true extent of Alaigbo if you do visit these areas.
Since this discussion is about land demarcation, I think it's safe to say that we actually ended this discussion a while back. Everything else seems to be a side discussion, regarding certain claims.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 9:10pm On Aug 31, 2010
I am really proud of this thread. Keep it going. But why only focus on the Southern Igbo groups. Let us discuss the Western Igbos and the Northern Igbo clans like the Ezza. (I barely know any northern Igbo)
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 9:15pm On Aug 31, 2010
EzeUche, the northern and western sides apparently aren't an issue. So, there's no need to discuss them.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 9:19pm On Aug 31, 2010
ChinenyeN:

EzeUche, the northern and western sides apparently aren't an issue. So, there's no need to discuss them.

Not an issue?

I wish to know why the Ika and Igbanke rather claim Benin instead of their Igbo identity. I can understand the Igbo being spoken by them easier than I can understand the Igbo spoken in Afikpo.

And what about the Igbo communities ceded to Benue state!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 9:21pm On Aug 31, 2010
I WOULD GO EVEN FAR TO CLAIM THE SOUTHERN IDOMA CLANS!

Mehn I have come across Idomas with Igbo surnames! And I have heard Idoma being spoken and the language is VERY VERY VERY similar to Igboid languages.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by asha80(m): 9:23pm On Aug 31, 2010
EzeUche:

I WOULD GO EVEN FAR TO CLAIM THE SOUTHERN IDOMA CLANS!

Mehn I have come across Idomas with Igbo surnames! And I have heard Idoma being spoken and the language is VERY VERY VERY similar to Igboid languages.

Do not overstep your boundary.They might sound igbo but they are not.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawgirl: 9:24pm On Aug 31, 2010
abadaba:

This dirty daughter of a prostituting mother is at her game again.

lol  relax
u takes tingz too personal
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 9:30pm On Aug 31, 2010
asha 80:

Do not overstep your boundary.They might sound igbo but they are not.

So someone with the name Agbu, a clearly Igbo name is not an Igbo. Idoma man was bearing the name.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2010
EzeUche, you're overstepping your boundary. A name is not all there is to an identity. . . and what is "Agbu"?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2010
Idomas are not Igbo but there are Igbo grous in benue state.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by asha80(m): 9:39pm On Aug 31, 2010
EzeUche:

So someone with the name Agbu, a clearly Igbo name is not an Igbo. Idoma man was bearing the name.

I also know of an idoma known as okpanachi but is does not mean they are igbo.trusst me you are overstepping your boundary here.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by abadaba(m): 10:00pm On Aug 31, 2010
ijaw_girl:

lol relax
u takes tingz too personal
The message to you is very clear: Quit insulting Ndigbo as individuals.
Quit insulting Ndigbo as a group.
Abagworo, Obiagu and other Igbo guys you have insulted in this thread has done nothing wrong to you. You may not agree with what they post, but insults must not fly.
Why not learn from Ibime and OW11.
Nevertherless, your postings on other threads has displayed a lot of Igbo hatred. STOP IT IJAW GIRL.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 12:09am On Sep 01, 2010
This thread is like the most successful in Nairaland. Bk, blacktooth,aigbofa etc must be green with envy. LOL. Igbo kwenu! Ezeuche, anyi ga echi gi Adazi Ndiigbo na Nairaland.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 12:19am On Sep 01, 2010
@Dede1, Abagworo, Andre Uweh, Abadaba, Richy Black, Udezue and co, unu chi zu ru echi zu. We have had to an informative, transformative and entertaining scholarly discuss in Nairaland, and we shamed the Igbohaters like bkbabe who expected us to be disunited,let's read his first comment on this thread. Cha cha cha Igbo kwenu! Yaa!

I am prous of this thread,let us create more scholarly and entertaining threads like this, leaving our enemies behind, and helpless.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (70) (Reply)

Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.