Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,550 members, 7,975,162 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 06:19 PM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (135808 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2011
ow11:

Obiagu1 is a clown and has written rubbish about what he doesn't know anything about.

The not-so-smart person has no idea that there is no standard written Ijaw. Kolokuma which is spoken in some parts of central Bayelsa state is what he probably thinks is standard Ijaw but take a boat ride to Furupagha or Akassa and find out if those people will understand you.

How can you say Kalabari people have more in common with Igbo than Ijaw? Yet over 80% of the words in the language can be understood by any native speaker of any Ijaw dialect in Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers state.

Roger Blench has compiled a comprehensive Ijaw dictionary including all major dialects of the Ijaw language. It is in the public domain, Download it, read it and cure your ignorance!

[url]http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Ijoid/Comparative%20Ijoid%20wordlist.pdf[/url]

Obviously, you don't seem clever enough to find fault in your own writing.
Take a boat ride to Furupagha or Akassa and find out if those people will understand you and you still claim they are Ijaw or were they made to believe they are Ijaw?
80% of the words in Kalabari can be understood by any native speaker of any Ijaw dialect in Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers state including those from Furupagha and Akassa?

Try again.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2011
One of my most important threads continues to be discussed. So many problems concerning the true extent of Alaigbo.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 4:45pm On Apr 16, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

@ ChinenyeN, are you referring to this? :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-500126.640.html#msg6663054

I was not aware of this and this seems entirely plausible. So Bonny was a mix. In this case, the argument of whether Bonny people are Igbo or Ijaw becomes kind of pointless.

This has been stated before but you preferred to indulge in making inferences on your own.
Igbos founded the town but the Ijaws lived there too mainly along the coasts. That's the point. It's not in Ijaw culture to live inland.
You went on list houses and instantly deduced that they were not Igbo. The most important factor in the bonny issue is the origin of their revered king Opubo or Obullo who Jaja named Opobo town after. He was Igbo!

Another important thing which people have failed to link in this Bonny is the issue of slaves. Because of their slave history, many believed that the Igbos there were slaves but if you actually look at the Igbo trade apprenticeship system and compare how it's done, many might confuse it as slavery but it's not. A slave doesn't become a master over his lords but in Igbo apprenticeship, the servant can become a master because he was NEVER viewed as a slave in the first instance though the Europeans may not understand the system and call it slavery.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 5:18pm On Apr 16, 2011
EzeUche:

One of my most important threads continues to be discussed. So many problems concerning the true extent of Alaigbo.
No, no problems; just non-issues that miraculously metamorphose into issues when nationalists (typically and more specifically non-southern Igbo) start acting like they can open their mouths and speak as if to say they know better than those concerned. Simply put, if there are 'boundary problems', then you people created them.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:56pm On Apr 16, 2011
Obiagu1:

This has been stated before but you preferred to indulge in making inferences on your own.
Igbos founded the town but the Ijaws lived there too mainly along the coasts. That's the point. It's not in Ijaw culture to live inland.
You went on list houses and instantly deduced that they were not Igbo. The most important factor in the bonny issue is the origin of their revered king Opubo or Obullo who Jaja named Opobo town after. He was Igbo!

Another important thing which people have failed to link in this Bonny is the issue of slaves. Because of their slave history, many believed that the Igbos there were slaves but if you actually look at the Igbo trade apprenticeship system and compare how it's done, many might confuse it as slavery but it's not. A slave doesn't become a master over his lords but in Igbo apprenticeship, the servant can become a master because he was NEVER viewed as a slave in the first instance though the Europeans may not understand the system and call it slavery.

I don't think you understood me, so let me make it clearer. I didn't mean that I was unaware of the Bonny people being a mix of Igbo and Ijaw. That has been stated all throughout this thread. That's not the issue. I'm talking specifically about the Ngwa migrations. If you say the founders were Igbo, say which Igbos and from where. I was unaware of the Ngwa claim, but upon finding out about it, it seems reasonable. When I said I wasn't aware of them being a mix, I meant I was unaware of them not being originally only of one stock or another. I thought that would have been clear in the context that it was said.

As for "indulging in making inferences on my own," you're confused on that account. A lot of the written material on Bonny - and none of what I've read was necessarily written by Ijaws - paints a different account entirely from what you have been asserting, so I was hardly "indulging in making inferences" more than anyone else in this thread. That I wasn't aware of the tradition about the Ngwa migrations hardly means that I was just "making inferences" anyhow prior to that. Much of the written material itself strongly lends itself to conclusions that run contrary to what you're asserting so if you have an issue with the conclusions in the material I gave links to you should say so and point out which specific claims you believe are incorrect, rather than claiming that I'm only "indulging in inferences." (As if you haven't made inferences yourself, like the one you just made in this very post about Ijaws and the coast.)

Take this for example:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8qvY8pxVxcwC&pg=PA539&dq=war+god+iguana+bonny&hl=en&ei=bv-pTYjvMKuC0QGIzcT5CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=war%20god%20iguana%20bonny&f=false

^^^^
What do you object to in the picture being painted in this book? This material seems to strongly contradict your thesis, but I don't accept it as being infallible or not subject to error, so point out to me what the errors are, rather than saying I'm just "indulging in inferences."

These are the facts:

A. There are instances of Europeans calling Ijaw groups "Ibos"
B. Some European explorers successfully distinguished between Ijaws and Igbos.

Now let's see what you seem to believe:

1. The European writers who assert, without asking, that the people they encounter at Bonny are "Ibo" are necessarily correct.
2. The European writers who say that the people they encounter at Bonny claim ancient Ijaw descent are necessarily incorrect.
3. The fact that European writers say that most of the trading houses had Ijaw names, that the rulers of Bonny had Ijaw names and adopted an Ijaw war god associated with iguanas, does not make this thesis that Ijaws were later migrants to Bonny who dwelt along the coast and were not central to the founding of the town or ruling it seem implausible.
4. "Igbos founded the town."
5. "Ijaws lived there mainly along the coast"
6.  Those people in Bonny who were called Igbo slaves were not slaves.
7.  "It's not in Ijaw culture to live inland."

The questions I have are:

1 & 2: Don't you see how one cannot assert that (1) is true on account of these being objective written accounts by people who visited the area and made assertions about those they observed, but then assert that (2) is true when the idea that people at Bonny are claiming Ijaw descent is also from an objective account, but from people (like G.I. Jones) who bothered to ask the people and find out about their traditional accounts?

3: What are the implications of this preponderance and importance of Ijaw culture in Bonny for your claim? Answer honestly, please.

4 & 5: Proof?

6: Seems to be contradicted by the huge number of slaves, always identified as primarily Igbo by objective writers (including those European writers who asserted Bonny was an Igbo town), that were sold directly from Bonny. Or were they exporting a huge number of slaves, but not keeping any? Anyway, I don't think reasonable people believe all the Igbos there were slaves.

7. I don't know what your understanding of "inland" is but if parts of Bonny can be called "inland" then Nembe certainly can be called "inland" as well. Or was Nembe also founded by Igbos?  undecided So much for "it's not in Ijaw culture to live inland." I don't know if you really even believe this claim yourself.

As for Opubo/Obullo being Igbo, do you have any proof? Accounts suggest the kings of Bonny were Ijaw: Ijaw names, Ijaw gods, etc., so what do you base the claim on? I could see them being of Ijaw and Igbo descent, but this statement that this king was Igbo needs some other supporting evidence.

You assert that I "went on [to] list houses and instantly deduced that they were not Igbo" which is patently false. I specifically said that a large number (from what I read) were founded by Igbos and implied that Igbos were possibly dominating the trade houses. I don't know how you didn't comprehend that. I said that the fact that the houses had Ijaw names despite not being headed or founded by Ijaws says something about whether or not Ijaw culture was central and widespread in Bonny.

Anyway, everything I had seen suggested an Ijaw preponderance of influence in Bonny and showed Ijaw culture with other influences, in stark contrast to a few assertions in this thread that they were latecomers and a later appendage to an Igbo city-state, so it was entirely reasonable to reach the conclusions I originally did. However, after finding about the Ngwa migration story, I find the theory of a joint migration from different areas more satisfactory, as founding groups in older times did not usually allow a "foreign" group to be in huge numbers in their area, have many prominent positions, and have their language and customs become very influential there, etc. So I think it more reasonable to assume that Igbos were foundational to Bonny as well as Ijaws.

I also have to ask why for the second time, you're responding to an issue in which you have a biased interest to distort my position ("indulging in making inferences"wink? Have you thought about the fact that I don't have any stake in Bonny, Ijaw-Igbo debates, etc., but that I'm just trying to find out whose account is true out of curiosity, since some of the stuff I'm reading here overturns what I've read in Nigerian history? If it turns out Bonny was as you say it was, then I'll readily admit it and move on, but I really did not see a strong case. Don't make this personal.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 2:17am On Apr 17, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Only a few of the other names seem Igbo to me (but I could be wrong, so do correct me if I'm missing something) and several look distinctly Ijaw (Sinaminabofori, "Erinashabo" (Iringeresibo), Kiepirima, Epelle, Amanibieyefori, Ibifa, Ibanigo, Uranta, etc.) which suggests a disproportionately high Ijaw influence that is unlikely to have been transplanted by a few later migrant fishermen/traders to the trading houses that were central to Bonny.  In fact the second link above explicitly says that seven of these houses were founded by Igbo ex-slaves, yet the houses were given Ijaw names.

The problem is that you're so verbose I find it hard to know where to start answering you. I'll try to answer a few.

After going thru your own source, you concluded that most of the names do not sound Igbo ignoring the fact that most where spelt wrongly according to what we know Igbo language to be including the famous Equiano's name.

Manilla Pepple/Erinashabo, Ibaniburufia/Ibani, Ncheke, Sinaminabofori Okponkata, Imo, Ojuigbe/Nkwere, Uranta were all Igbos.

1. The European writers who assert, without asking, that the people they encounter at Bonny are "Ibo" are necessarily correct.
Some of them actually interacted with them, those that actually set their foot on the Island have better say on the issue. All of them said they were Igbos.

2. The European writers who say that the people they encounter at Bonny claim ancient Ijaw descent are necessarily incorrect.
Who are those writers that encounter them in Bonny that said such and how did they claim ancient Ijaw when they were not known as Ijaw then?

3. The fact that European writers say that most of the trading houses had Ijaw names, that the rulers of Bonny had Ijaw names and adopted an Ijaw war god associated with iguanas, does not make this thesis that Ijaws were later migrants to Bonny who dwelt along the coast and were not central to the founding of the town or ruling it seem implausible.
No, you are wrong, no European who set his foot on the Island said that the trading houses had Ijaw names. Pepple is not an Ijaw name.

Yes, I have proof to that.

Google Bayelsa state and tell me where Ijaw towns are located including Nembe, coastal or inland?

This is a point I raised. If you reread my previous post, I said no one has ever try to look at Igbo trade apprenticeship system because in Igboland, we call it “odibo” meaning servant and some might misunderstood it as slave. I maintain that a slave cannot become a master if he did not revolt.
Tell me where such has happened in history except in Igbo related cases.

7.  "It's not in Ijaw culture to live inland."
Google Bayelsa state and tell me where Ijaw towns are located including Nembe, coastal or inland?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2011
It seems like there is a lot people don't know. Like, for example, oral traditions have it that when the Portuguese came to the coast in the 15th century, it was the descendants of the founder (recollected as being Ngwa), led then by Asimini, that met the Portuguese, and got them to trade at Bonny. This effectively made Asimini the first King of Bonny. His [Asimini's] descendants subsequently ruled after him for some generations. Another interesting thing to note, which people for whatever reason tend not to mention (and consequently many people don't know), is the intensification of Ijo presence in Bonny beginning around the 16th century; a century or so after the Portuguese had established trade relations with Bonny people. Alagoa's chronology of Bonny recognizes/suggests this. This intensification (suggested to be Ijo migration from the west through creeks, to Bonny) is then followed by the massive influx of Igbo due to the slave trade (this one we should all be familiar with).

Hopefully this post could help address the above questions [those numbers]. Well, at the very least, some.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Chyz2: 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2011
ChinenyeN:

It seems like there is a lot people don't know. Like, for example, oral traditions have it that when the Portuguese came to the coast in the 15th century, it was the descendants of the founder (recollected as being Ngwa), led then by Asimini, that met the Portuguese, and got them to trade at Bonny. This effectively made Asimini the first King of Bonny. His [Asimini's] descendants subsequently ruled after him for some generations. Another interesting thing to note, which people for whatever reason tend not to mention (and consequently many people don't know), is the intensification of Ijo presence in Bonny beginning around the 16th century; a century or so after the Portuguese had established trade relations with Bonny people. Alagoa's chronology of Bonny recognizes/suggests this. This intensification (suggested to be Ijo migration from the west through creeks, to Bonny) is then followed by the massive influx of Igbo due to the slave trade (this one we should all be familiar with).

Hopefully this post could help address the above questions [those numbers]. Well, at the very least, some.

Accoding to my source, the Ubani was founded by people from Azuogo, Ndoki-Azumini. The Portuguese called it Culeba and English called it Bonny. As for Ijo, this was not a tribe but what the Portuguese called Jos, people of the river, whom they met at Rio Real. In fact, the main occupations of these people were salt making and copper smiting. The Jos gave rise to Ijo and plain brass sheet used in making salt gave rise to Brass in Bayelsa.

The first king of Ubani was Alagbarie anglicized Alagbara. The second King of Ubani, Okpara Ndoli, was the first son of Alagbara. Okpara Ndoli was succeeded by Opu Amakuba (Amakubu) and was succeeded by Okpara Azumini (Asimini)

Down the line of king's lineage, one would found names of kings such as Azumini, Edimini(Hippo) and Edi Abali (Bear).

The same thing could be said about Calabarie (Kalabari) whose founders migrated from Obu Amafo. The referenced place of Obu Amafo could have metamorphosed into Obuama of Ikwerre land.

Where exactly are you all getting some of this information from? Where are the links? Also, I think a trip to River State, for historical purposes, should be in you guys agendas.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2011
The same thing could be said about Calabarie (Kalabari) whose founders migrated from Obu Amafo. The referenced place of Obu Amafo could have metamorphosed into Obuama of Ikwerre land.

The founders of Kalabari did not migrate from Amafo.You made a misleading assumption.The founders of Kalabari just like the founders of Calabar might have originated from Cameroun but were in a combined business with the Aro Igbos.They made a journey through Igbo hinterland but settled briefly at Isiokpo in Ikwerre before moving on to Buguma.The Igbo aspect of them is from Igbo slaves and some Igbo slave traders that were assimilated.There is an Ijaw angle of Kalabari origin which explains their close tie with other Ijaw groups.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2011
Chyz*:

Where exactly are you all getting some of this information from? Where are the links? Also, I think a trip to River State, for historical purposes, should be in you guys agendas.
Regarding the first bolded pair (where you seem to be having difficulty reconciling the Ngwa/Ndoki statements), Ndoki is an Ngwa offshoot. Regarding the second bolded pair (where you seem to be having difficulty reconciling the king issue), Bonny did not actually become a 'kingdom' (in the real sense of the word) until Asimini's 'reign'. That's why he [Asimini] is referred to as the Founding-King of Bonny.

Alagbara, the hunter who discovered Okoloma, is considered the founder (along with a few other notable people), and during the time of the founders, the organizational structure of Bonny was not that of kingship. Instead it was the Opara Ukwuu structure (Leadership by the Eldest). That's not to say that it would necessarily be wrong to refer to the founders as 'kings'. One can if one wants, but I in particular would be wary of using that expression, since the establishment of Bonny as a [i]kingdom [/i]didn't occur until Asimini's time.

Now, much of what I'm saying is what has been told to me (I hang around my elders quite a bit and I ask a lot of questions, especially when they say something intriguing). The information told to me though, has been more or less general. So, I had to research and dig up the gritty details of it all myself, and I found Alagoa, Fombo and Oriji (in particular), as well as Leonard, G.I. Jones and to an extent Talbot, who compliment and add on to the things told to me by my elders.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:25am On Apr 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

The problem is that you're so verbose I find it hard to know where to start answering you. I'll try to answer a few.

After going thru your own source, you concluded that most of the names do not sound Igbo ignoring the fact that most where spelt wrongly according to what we know Igbo language to be including the famous Equiano's name.

Manilla Pepple/Erinashabo, Ibaniburufia/Ibani, Ncheke, Sinaminabofori Okponkata, Imo, Ojuigbe/Nkwere, Uranta were all Igbos.

1.  I concluded that most of the names don't sound Igbo and then asked for correction if I was wrong about that. I'm not sure that asserting that there were huge misspellings is a suitable correction. From some of FACE's posts on here it's obvious that he is Igbo and knows quite a lot about Igbo culture and the Igbo language, so if those names were just misspellings, he only had to say so and give his explanation. You also have to give an explanation. You can't just assert that most are just misspellings without an explanation of what they are supposed to be. You have the advantage here that I don't speak/read Ijaw, but are you honestly telling me that Kiepirima, Epelle, Amanibieyefori, Ibifa, Ibanigo, and Uranta are only misspellings of Igbo names? Would you, in real life, actually say this to an Ijaw man's face? Like I said, I don't know the Ijaw language to be able to prove that they aren't misspellings and that their names can be explained in Ijaw, but I don't see how you can just assert that they aren't Ijaw names unless you have mastery of the Ijaw language and know these names not to have any parallels or similar names among the Ijaw. They seemed Ijaw to me, but this is the first I'm hearing about all these names being misspellings of Igbo names.

And my point is not really about whether those heading the trading houses were Igbo or Ijaw - they could easily all have been Igbo. My point was about the kind of names they were using and what that says about Bonny. It seems to clash strongly with your thesis that Ijaws were some peripheral later migrants to Bonny.

And if these were actually just misspelled Igbo names, give a reasonable explanation of what names they are supposed to be, and why those names were all misspelled, while Igbo names like Nkwere and Nkeche, among others, were not misspelled.

Some of them actually interacted with them, those that actually set their foot on the Island have better say on the issue. All of them said they were Igbos.

Well, what I meant is, did they even ask them who their people were or were associated with or what clan/tribe/ethnicity/nationality they claimed?

I'm not saying that the people there would actually have answered  that "we are of such and such larger general ethnic group" since groups would have been too divided to do that or have any idea of such a thing. I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that  the European writers who said that the people and kings of Bonny were Igbo actually got that information (or information that implied that they were an Igbo sub-group) directly[i] from the people[/i] of Bonny. But if there is evidence that they did, then those quotes actually have the significance you were imparting to them. If not, then they could be taken as general, descriptive quotes that could just as easily only say something about the high degree of interaction between Igbos and Ijaws in Bonny, rather than supporting your account of Bonny's history.

Who are those writers that encounter them in Bonny that said such and how did they claim ancient Ijaw when they were not known as Ijaw then?

An English writer (South African born, actually) who recorded  the claim that the ancestors of the people of Bonny migrated out of the "central Ijaw area" is G.I. Jones, who published Trading States of the Oil Rivers in 1963, and researched the Eastern region of Nigeria directly.

Here's an overview of G.I. Jones: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-g-i-jones-1575078.html

Clearly not a biased individual. His is not a pre-colonial account, but his book is a very detailed study of what happened in that area in pre-colonial times.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pIR-mgBiJ-gC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=Trading+States+of+the+Oil+Rivers+%281963%29&source=bl&ots=v1fkbrzUfb&sig=QVPLHEmI00p-DHXFI3DfHBtNFYA&hl=en&ei=XWCrTYTmCsuB0QHl26j5CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bonny&f=false

Another claim implying that Bonny was Ijaw founded comes from page 24 of Kenneth .O. Dike's  Trade and politics in the Niger Delta, 1830-1885: an introduction to the economic and political history of Nigeria (1956):

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=acls;cc=acls;rgn=full%20text;idno=heb02585.0001.001;didno=heb02585.0001.001;view=image;seq=34;node=heb02585.0001.001%3A3;page=root;size=100

He cites P. Amaury Talbot, and Talbot wrote that this tradition of the founding of Bonny by a certain "Alagbariye" (once again, it seems to be an Ijaw name to me, but if it's a misspelling of an Igbo name, do provide an explanation) who brought his people there, was recorded by three different pre-colonial European travelers (John Barbot, William Baikie, and Leonard), who visited Bonny. Here's a mention of their visits to Bonny in G.I. Jones' book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pIR-mgBiJ-gC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=baikie+nigeria+bonny&source=bl&ots=v1fkbrBNg4&sig=Nb6MtwdXFUIFp8qNVn5BzBxFeW8&hl=en&ei=dGWrTZL9Bqbi0QGgr-H5CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=baikie%20nigeria%20bonny&f=false

So unless they went to pre-colonial Nigeria and were each independently told the same tall tale, it would seem that this tale of an ancient migration led by "Alagbariye" was an old and authentic story in Bonny. This Alagbariye who "brought his people there" implies a migration, and the name implies an Ijaw leader, unless it's a misspelling.

No, you are wrong, no European who set his foot on the Island said that the trading houses had Ijaw names. Pepple is not an Ijaw name.

I think we might be getting into semantics, because I phrased this sloppily when I originally wrote it. I meant that the Europeans writers say what the names of the trading houses are, and that, by observation, a large number of them are indeed Ijaw names to anyone who looks at them. But once again, if they are just misspellings of Igbo names, do explain what is being misspelled. I do acknowledge that European writers misspelled African names. That's indisputable. However, from what I have read, they did not miss the mark by so much and in exactly such a manner as to consistently parallel the names of a different African language.

And how do you know Erinashabo is not a misspelling of Iringeresibo, an Ijaw name? Please provide a comparable Igbo name, or the name this is supposed to be.

As for "Pepple," why can't that just be a misspelling of an Ijaw name? Is there a comparable Igbo name? I genuinely don't know, so I'm asking out of ignorance.

Yes, I have proof to that.

Well, Bonny was founded a very long time ago. Can anyone really know? If there were waves of migrations from different groups, who is to say which group arrived first?

I really don't understand this argument. Nembe is further from the ocean than any part of Bonny, right? So what are you saying?

I think you know that there are multiple  places in Bayelsa that are "inland" compared to Bonny. Is any of Bonny really "inland"? I thought I understood your contrast of "inland" and the coast but you seem to be using that word in a different sense than what I assumed.

This is a point I raised. If you reread my previous post, I said no one has ever try to look at Igbo trade apprenticeship system because in Igboland, we call it “odibo” meaning servant and some might misunderstood it as slave. I maintain that a slave cannot become a master if he did not revolt.
Tell me where such has happened in history except in Igbo related cases.

I am certainly no expert on slavery across different African cultures, but the following is a description of slavery in Bonny (and some other areas) that I found:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=acls;cc=acls;rgn=full%20text;idno=heb02585.0001.001;didno=heb02585.0001.001;view=image;seq=35;node=heb02585.0001.001%3A3;page=root;size=100

From p.25 of Kenneth O. Dike's Trade and politics in the Niger Delta, 1830-1885: an introduction to the economic and political history of Nigeria (1956)

Tell me what about these accounts is implausible? This account seems to explain the situation just fine without recourse to your theory that "odibo" was being practiced throughout Bonny. If the society has a huge number of slaves and people descended from slaves as part of the general populace, then why won't some of them become prominent through their own ability? Why won't some of them get their freedom and become ex-slaves and then rise to higher heights? Was revolt really a sine qua non?

It's true that it's possible that they could have all been servants, rather than slaves, but given the enormous involvement of Bonny in very real slave purchasing and selling, is this really a reasonable conclusion to reach? Also, in the rest of the different Igbo societies, particularly those of the Delta region, was there a practice of employing enormous numbers of apprentices/servants everywhere in the city/village/region?

Even if there was not, this could have been an isolated phenomenon, where the "odibo" practice occurred on a large scale, but I think the slave buying and selling background of Bonny itself makes it more likely that these were actual slaves. That's my conclusion and you are certainly entitled to your own conclusion. It's just that since your statements contradicted a lot of what I had read, I expected stronger supporting evidence for your position.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Chyz2: 12:41am On Apr 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Regarding the first bolded pair (where you seem to be having difficulty reconciling the Ngwa/Ndoki statements), Ndoki is an Ngwa offshoot. Regarding the second bolded pair (where you seem to be having difficulty reconciling the king issue), Bonny did not actually become a 'kingdom' (in the real sense of the word) until Asimini's 'reign'. That's why he [Asimini] is referred to as the Founding-King of Bonny.

Alagbara, the hunter who discovered Okoloma, is considered the founder (along with a few other notable people), and during the time of the founders, the organizational structure of Bonny was not that of kingship. Instead it was the Opara Ukwuu structure (Leadership by the Eldest). That's not to say that it would necessarily be wrong to refer to the founders as 'kings'. One can if one wants, but I in particular would be wary of using that expression, since the establishment of Bonny as a [i]kingdom [/i]didn't occur until Asimini's time.

Now, much of what I'm saying is what has been told to me (I hang around my elders quite a bit and I ask a lot of questions, especially when they say something intriguing). The information told to me though, has been more or less general. So, I had to research and dig up the gritty details of it all myself, and I found Alagoa, Fombo and Oriji (in particular), as well as Leonard, G.I. Jones and to an extent Talbot, who compliment and add on to the things told to me by my elders.

Ndoki an Ngwa offshoot? So does that mean Ngwa is an Mbaise offshoot? Your elders seem to know a lot. Maybe you can invite them on nairaland some time. As far as Alagbara, I think what you all seem more or less to be going back and forward about is not really who was the first "king", but instead, who were the first settlers of that area. The Opara Ukwu structure suggests in a large way,according to Igbo community structure, they may have been there for a while without any other inhabitants.I'm not saying that's what is, though. Seems like there is a lot more to the story and history that we know, though. I think one of the keys to cracking this thing is finding out where exactly did the Ijaws come from and when(time) did they migrate towards that area,not sure that info can be easily found .
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Chyz2: 12:55am On Apr 18, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Well, Bonny was founded a very long time ago. Can anyone really know? If there were waves of migrations from different groups, who is to say which group arrived first?

Very true, especially since the land that we now know as "Bonny" was not demarcated back then by those claimed "founders". It may have been or like people lived in one area and others in the other.I dont think it would have really been a need to keep dates of arrival into the area by each group.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:54am On Apr 18, 2011
I really don't get why, 'til now, this Bonny thing is still a topic. We've gone through this, over and over again, even on this NL thread. What do people not get?

Chyz*:

Ndoki an Ngwa offshoot? So does that mean Ngwa is an Mbaise offshoot?
I won't hold this one against you. If I had to guess, I would just say that there are some thing you just aren't aware of. For one, Ngwa's link with Mbaise does not extend to all of Mbaise, just Ezilihitte and some fringe communities surrounding it. The rest of Mbaise is occupied by Isu and Uratta elements. Secondly, population densities of Ezilihitte and northern Ngwa are reported to be about the same, indicating settlement at around the same time (reference the very popular and highly celebrated Imo Crossing tale). Thirdly, Ngwa is more populous than all of Mbaise. Offshoots are not more populous than their origins. If anything, Ngwa and Ezilihitte should [/i]have been the same clan, but the Imo made that difficult. But that's beside the point, being that you can't call Ngwa an Mbaise offshoot.

Chyz*:

As far as Alagbara, I think what you all seem more or less to be going back and forward about is not really who was the first "king" was, but instead, who were the first settlers of that area. The Opara Ukwu structure suggests in a large way,according to Igbo community structure, they may have been there for a while without any other inhabitants.I'm not saying that's what is though. Seems like there is a lot more to the story and history that we know though. I think one of the keys to cracking this thing is finding out where exactly did the Ijaws come from and when(time) did they migrate towards that area.
Okay, I take it that you're also unfamiliar with Bonny oral traditions and how they recount their rout of migration, am I right?

PhysicsMHD:

I don't get what is so difficult to understand. I've explained this before. Yes, people really do know. Bonny's history isn't shrouded in mystery.

. . . I guess I just have no choice. . .
ChinenyeN:

Maybe people should read into the works of Alagoa, Fombo and Oriji, since [i]some don't want to hear when someone tells them something

I don't know why some seem to feel (or behave) like everything is up for debate, especially when someone actually wants to explain things to them. It's like I might as well not even bother taking time out to address some people's posts and questions, in this topic and on this issue.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Chyz2: 3:25am On Apr 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I won't hold this one against you. If I had to guess, I would just say that there are some thing you just aren't aware of. For one, Ngwa's link with Mbaise does not extend to all of Mbaise, just Ezilihitte and some fringe communities surrounding it. The rest of Mbaise is occupied by Isu and Uratta elements. Secondly, population densities of Ezilihitte and northern Ngwa are reported to be about the same, indicating settlement at around the same time (reference the very popular and highly celebrated Imo Crossing tale). Thirdly, Ngwa is more populous than all of Mbaise. Offshoots are not more populous than their origins. If anything, Ngwa and Ezilihitte [i]should [/i]have been the same clan, but the Imo made that difficult. But that's beside the point, being that you can't call Ngwa an Mbaise offshoot.

No need for the temperament, just trying to get an understanding. I am aware about the whole Ngwa-Mbaise(ezinihitte,aboh) you are talking about;however, the ngwa offshoot im not to sure about especially when talking about migration. I've even heard accounts of some of them claiming Benin migration. Anyways, lets go with the "offshoots are not more populous than their origins".  Lets say the Ngwas are offshoots of not only mbaise but other towns beside them(i'm not with the who offshoot of a particular ethnic clan,especially not during migration thought). I think that would be more plausible. With all of this migration going on, i think it would be safer to just call them as they are(Ndoki) and not an "Ngwa offshoot". Seems more like they were just settlers amongst the rest of the Igbos(lets not take into account the supposed benin migration,for now) that were migrating as well.

ChinenyeN:

Okay, I take it that you're also unfamiliar with Bonny oral traditions and how they recount their rout of migration, am I right?

"Bonny" oral history? I think that's the problem that we've been having on this thread ever since,lol. Who or what ethnic group/clan is giving that oral history?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:15am On Apr 18, 2011
If you really wanted to get an understanding, then you'd let someone explain and you'd digest it as they explain it, rather than try to reason/rationalize it with the color of 'political correctness' you exhibited with your last post (i.e. "I think it would be safer"wink. It gives the impression that simple factual statements are always up for debate. Sometimes, it's important to understand that things are just what they are. So when someone explains something to you, especially if you know you don't know, just take it; take it with a grain of salt though, but don't give the impression that you want to debate something that you yourself may not be too sure of.

Now, addressing your post, I'm really hard-pressed to believe that you know enough about Ngwa history to talk, but I'm willing to hear you out. There's something we'll have to address though, if we're to really continue this discussion and that is whether or not we actually share the same understanding of offshoot. . .

Chyz*:

"Bonny" oral history? I think that's the problem that we've been having on this thread ever since,lol. Who or what ethnic group/clan is giving that oral history?
As stated earlier, Bonny people gave the account themselves, and as is the practice with oral traditions, one verifies by inquiring from neighboring communities.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Chyz2: 4:55am On Apr 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

If you really wanted to get an understanding, then you'd let someone explain and you'd digest it as they explain it, rather than try to reason/rationalize it with the color of 'political correctness' you exhibited with your last post (i.e. "I think it would be safer"wink. It gives the impression that simple factual statements are always up for debate. Sometimes, it's important to understand that things are just what they are. So when someone explains something to you, especially if you know you don't know, just take it; take it with a grain of salt though, but don't give the impression that you want to debate something that you yourself may not be too sure of.

Now, addressing your post, I'm really hard-pressed to believe that you know enough about Ngwa history to talk, but I'm willing to hear you out. There's something we'll have to address though, if we're to really continue this discussion and that is whether or not we actually share the same understanding of offshoot. . .

Honestly I don't see the reason for ill temperament. It's because of debate that is thread has gone so far. If you really wanted it(the Bonny issue) to die down you would have stopped commenting a long time ago. Your comment are just adding to the fire. As far as understanding, we understand things in different ways. The way you ingest things is not the way I do,just to let you know. As far as just "just take it, with a grain of salt", i think not. That is something I don't do especially when there is conflicting stories or "accounts" as in this thread, and, by non-indigenes on the area of discussion. As far as not knowing enough about 'Ngwa" history to talk,um i dont believe we were talking about "Ngwa history to begin with. Stop taking offense to something that's not the case.

Now, as for the "poltical correctness" of me making the statement of calling the Ndokis what they are as versus an "Ngwa Offshoots", i think you highly taking thinks too deep. Ndokis are Ndokis and that is what is. There is no political overtone.

ChinenyeN:

As stated earlier, Bonny people gave the account themselves, and as is the practice with oral traditions, one verifies by inquiring from neighboring communities.

"oral traditions" are not always solid or factual. Both the Ijaw and Igbo have two different oral accounts(not to talk of the clans). Who even knows if the Ogonis don't have there own account,im just sayin?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 5:02am On Apr 18, 2011
Ogoni/Obolo accounts compliment Bonny & Ngwa accounts. As for us not talking about Ngwa history, everything being discussed thus far (Bonny, Ndoki, Mbaise) are all tied to Ngwa history & settlement. So it's not like we can just ignore that. Just saying, and no offense taken (I hope that's not how I'm coming off, because I'm actually not offended, just simply irritated; don't know why I would be offended, in the first place). Anyway, anything I say to you seem to hold no weight (though I'm not surprised by this). So, maybe it would be to your own benefit to just go and research it yourself. You apparently didn't come to me with the intent to learn what I know.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26am On Apr 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 6:25am On Apr 18, 2011
you people get time sha. . . lol tongue
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 9:53am On Apr 18, 2011
@Obiagu1

Let me rephrase: Kalabari is mutually inteligible by all Ijaw clans whilst Kolokuma is lot more difficult to comprehend by native speakers of other Ijaw dialects. Words are usually the same and I have not seen you decide to read Roger Blench's dictionary and see for yourself. This shows you do NOT even consider your own version of ORAL history to be erroneous in any way and will go to ridiculous lengths like insinuating that Kalabari language is akin to Igbo and has NO relationship to any Ijaw dialect. I am assuming when you say Ijaw, you mean Kolokuma which is only spoken in few communities in Bayelsa state.

I am a Kalabari person and I have Igbo and other Ijaw clan members as neighbours and we mock each others version of pronouncing the same words. Yet an Igbo man who has refused to learn or admit some erroneous stand is screaming to the contrary.

You can make whatever assertions you want regarding the history of the Rivers Ijaw people. I can't really comment on Bonny because I am not from there and may make some errors because of whom i spoke to regarding the history BUT you are wrong on the history of the Kalabari kingdom.

@physicsMHD

Those names are Ijaw names. . Dede1 has said once that Amayanabo( the name of Ijaw kings) is an Igbo word corrupted from Ama-onye-na-bo. I don't speak Igbo so I dont know what that means but AMA-YANA-BO (literally means Town - have - Person or Owner of the Town in proper English). Don't be surprised if you begin to see weird 'Igbo' words purported to mean the same as the Ijaw words.

I also find it rather assuming that these posters claim to know a great deal about the history but have ZERO knowledge about the language of the area which if they did, would cure some of their ignorance.

@THE AMAKA

We get time o. . . Arguing over inanities actually.  grin grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2011
ow11:

We get time o. . . Arguing over inanities actually.  grin grin
Na so e be. You want to come and just correct people on some assumptions, nothing big, and all of a sudden a non-issue becomes a problem. It's P.H. all over again.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2011
I think Igbo land is pretty easy to understand. along with upper River state, we do have "cousin" tribes in the middle belt (Benue) and in Cross River.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 4:50pm On Apr 18, 2011
Igbo land stretches to places where natives identify under Igbo. shocked
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 5:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
ow11:

@Obiagu1

Let me rephrase: Kalabari is mutually inteligible by all Ijaw clans whilst Kolokuma is lot more difficult to comprehend by native speakers of other Ijaw dialects. Words are usually the same and I have not seen you decide to read Roger Blench's dictionary and see for yourself. This shows you do NOT even consider your own version of ORAL history to be erroneous in any way and will go to ridiculous lengths like insinuating that Kalabari language is akin to Igbo and has NO relationship to any Ijaw dialect. I am assuming when you say Ijaw, you mean Kolokuma which is only spoken in few communities in Bayelsa state.

When you start making up things, then I know you either have problem with comprehension or you're grossly over spinning.
When did I make such statement in bold?

I'll quote myself:
Igbos are not going to yield an inch of Kalabari, Opobo, Bonny and Okrika to the Ijaws. Those 4 clans MUST remain independent of the Ijaw because they are not Ijaw but majority Igbo and minority Ijaw. They all have Igbo blood running in their veins!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
I often rely on words from those that actually set their feet on Bonny.

PhysicsMHD:

Well, what I meant is, did they even ask them who their people were or were associated with or what clan/tribe/ethnicity/nationality they claimed?

I'm not saying that the people there would actually have answered  that "we are of such and such larger general ethnic group" since groups would have been too divided to do that or have any idea of such a thing. I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that  the European writers who said that the people and kings of Bonny were Igbo actually got that information (or information that implied that they were an Igbo sub-group) directly[i] from the people[/i] of Bonny. But if there is evidence that they did, then those quotes actually have the significance you were imparting to them. If not, then they could be taken as general, descriptive quotes that could just as easily only say something about the high degree of interaction between Igbos and Ijaws in Bonny, rather than supporting your account of Bonny's history.

Mean what you say or don't say it at all. It makes the whole stuff twisted.
I'll get where it was said that one of the natives said many more of them Igbos lived in the hinterland.

PhysicsMHD:

An English writer (South African born, actually) who recorded  the claim that the ancestors of the people of Bonny migrated out of the "central Ijaw area" is G.I. Jones, who published Trading States of the Oil Rivers in 1963, and researched the Eastern region of Nigeria directly.

So unless they went to pre-colonial Nigeria and were each independently told the same tall tale, it would seem that this tale of an ancient migration led by "Alagbariye" was an old and authentic story in Bonny. This Alagbariye who "brought his people there" implies a migration, and the name implies an Ijaw leader, unless it's a misspelling.

I asked you who were those writers that encounter them in Bonny that said such and you're telling me about GI Jones. Reread your initial questions and my reply. GI Jones wrote that in 1963, I only rely on those stuff written before all the confusions started ie pre-amalgamation.

Alagbariye is actually Alagbarie, an Ngwa migrant that actually set up Bonny. Read Chinenye and Chyz discussions above.

PhysicsMHD:

I think we might be getting into semantics, because I phrased this sloppily when I originally wrote it. I meant that the Europeans writers say what the names of the trading houses are, and that, by observation, a large number of them are indeed Ijaw names to anyone who looks at them. But once again, if they are just misspellings of Igbo names, do explain what is being misspelled. I do acknowledge that European writers misspelled African names. That's indisputable. However, from what I have read, they did not miss the mark by so much and in exactly such a manner as to consistently parallel the names of a different African language.

And how do you know Erinashabo is not a misspelling of Iringeresibo, an Ijaw name? Please provide a comparable Igbo name, or the name this is supposed to be.

As for "Pepple," why can't that just be a misspelling of an Ijaw name? Is there a comparable Igbo name? I genuinely don't know, so I'm asking out of ignorance.

Again, mean it or leave it. Erinashabo is also Manilla Pepple and Manilla Pepple was Igbo.

Pepple came from Pepper.

From Wanderings in West Africa:

"This Opubo, or Obullo, the " Great Man," was grandfather of the present
chief : his son took the name of Pepper (Pepple), which he now
spells with a change,

* These ridiculous names are taken from English ships. The slave
chiefs have all their own native names,
e.g., Manilla Pepple is known
as Erinashaboo.
All were the property of old King Pepple, who, when
dying, appointed Annie Tepple as guardian of his son's wealth. He
fought with Manilla Pepple, was beaten, took to drink, and died.
His son is the present Annie Pepple."

PhysicsMHD:

I really don't understand this argument. Nembe is further from the ocean than any part of Bonny, right? So what are you saying?

Nembe is further inland from the ocean but has a huge river or lake beside it. Ijaws are mainly fishermen. So Nembe is still more or less coastal.

PhysicsMHD:

I am certainly no expert on slavery across different African cultures, but the following is a description of slavery in Bonny (and some other areas) that I found:

I never said there was no slave dealings in Bonny but such slaves cannot rise to become leaders, it's not done anywhere in the world. I maintain that those that rose to high positions in Bonny might actually be "odibo" or servants in Igbo trade apprenticeship system. The slave trade of Bonny community might have been confused with those "odibo" because some of them actually live more like slaves than servants, we still see some of them in such situations today.

Update:

Excerpt from memoirs of Hugh Crow (1765 – 1829), an English sea captain.

It is probable (and this opinion is entertained by Captain Adam and others) that Bonny, and the towns on the low line of the coast on either side of it were originally peopled from the Eboe country, and that before the commencement of the slave trade, if it then existed; the inhabitants employed themselves in the making of salt, by evaporation from the sea water. (This is not what the Ijaws do, do they?)

The King of New Calabar, in the neighbourhood, and Pepple, king of Bonny, were both of Eboe descent, of which also are the mass of the native; and the number of the slaves from the Eboe country, which, throughout the existence of the British trade were taken from Bonny, amounted to perhaps three-fourth of the whole export.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 6:37pm On Apr 18, 2011
Erinashaboo doesn't sound Igbo.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2011
[
ChinenyeN:
I don't get what is so difficult to understand. I've explained this before. Yes, people really do know. Bonny's history isn't shrouded in mystery.

. . . I guess I just have no choice. . .

ChinenyeN:
Maybe people should read into the works of Alagoa, Fombo and Oriji, since some don't want to hear when someone tells them something.

ChinenyeN:
I don't know why some seem to feel (or behave) like everything is up for debate, especially when someone actually wants to explain things to them. It's like I might as well not even bother taking time out to address some people's posts and questions, in this topic and on this issue.

Maybe you could post some specifics? You mentioned Alagoa's works above, and below you wrote:

ChinenyeN: It seems like there is a lot people don't know. Like, for example, oral traditions have it that when the Portuguese came to the coast in the 15th century, it was the descendants of the founder (recollected as being Ngwa), led then by Asimini, that met the Portuguese, and got them to trade at Bonny. This effectively made Asimini the first King of Bonny. His [Asimini's] descendants subsequently ruled after him for some generations. Another interesting thing to note, which people for whatever reason tend not to mention (and consequently many people don't know), is the intensification of Ijo presence in Bonny beginning around the 16th century; a century or so after the Portuguese had established trade relations with Bonny people. Alagoa's chronology of Bonny recognizes/suggests this. This intensification (suggested to be Ijo migration from the west through creeks, to Bonny) is then followed by the massive influx of Igbo due to the slave trade (this one we should all be familiar with).

Whereas Alagoa and Fombo write in A chronicle of Grand Bonny:

"It was during Alagbariye's reign that the Portuguese first arrived in Bonny"

http://books.google.com/books?id=VJV1AAAAMAAJ&q=bonny+portuguese&dq=bonny+portuguese&hl=en&ei=n3OsTbP1I7CK0QH9ltX5CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg

So apparently this founder figure (Alagbariye) is viewed as having a "reign" and is associated with first Portuguese contact. Perhaps the record is not as crystal clear (which is actualyl commonplace for the early history of  different societies) as you're saying.

Also, there isn't necessarily much significance in the fact of an intensification of Ijaw presence around the 16th century in the context of what was being discussed  (Obiagu1's contention that the town was founded by an Igbo group and Ijaws were only later migrants). In the same way that the later influx of a large number of Igbos during the slave trade does not somehow prove or show that Igbos were not originally there to begin with, the increase in Ijaw presence after trade was established with the Portuguese doesn't prove that the Ijaws weren't there to begin with. It's an interesting detail, but it's kind of peripheral. Unless it could be established (archaeologically perhaps? With pottery shards/fragments indicating pottery unique to Igbo groups or Ijaw groups?) that Bonny was only of one stock prior to the 16th century, the situation doesn't seem clear cut when there seem to be different accounts. . .
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

I'll quote myself:
Igbos are not going to yield an inch of Kalabari, Opobo, Bonny and Okrika to the Ijaws. Those 4 clans MUST remain independent of the Ijaw because they are not Ijaw but majority Igbo and minority Ijaw. They all have Igbo blood running in their veins!
Oh please. "Igbo" and "Ijo" lines have long since been drawn and they clearly indicate that anything south of Ikwere-Echee-Ndoki is not "Igbo". So, Igbo is in no position to talk about not yielding sht.

ezeagu:

Erinashaboo doesn't sound Igbo.
It's not.

PhysicsMHD:

Whereas Alagoa and Fombo write in A chronicle of Grand Bonny:

"It was during Alagbariye's reign that the Portuguese first arrived in Bonny"

http://books.google.com/books?id=VJV1AAAAMAAJ&q=bonny+portuguese&dq=bonny+portuguese&hl=en&ei=n3OsTbP1I7CK0QH9ltX5CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg

So apparently this founder figure (Alagbariye) is viewed as having a "reign" and is associated with first Portuguese contact. Perhaps the record is not as crystal clear (which is actual commonplace for the early history of  different societies) as you're saying.

http://books.google.com/books?ei=n3OsTbP1I7CK0QH9ltX5CA&ct=result&id=VJV1AAAAMAAJ&dq=bonny+portuguese&q=asimini+crowned#search_anchor

The founders were not 'kings', in the real sense of the word. Bonny's kingship began with Asimini. That's the point I was making. 

PhysicsMHD:

Also, there isn't necessarily much significance in the fact of an intensification of Ijaw presence around the 16th century in the context of what was being discussed  (Obiagu1's contention that the town was founded by an Igbo group and Ijaws were only later migrants). In the same way that the later influx of a large number of Igbos during the slave trade does not somehow prove or show that Igbos were not originally there to begin with, the increase in Ijaw presence after trade was established with the Portuguese doesn't prove that the Ijaws weren't there to begin with. It's an interesting detail, but it's kind of peripheral. Unless it could be established (archaeologically perhaps? With pottery shards/fragments indicating pottery unique to Igbo groups or Ijaw groups?) that Bonny was only of one stock prior to the 16th century, the situation doesn't seem clear cut when there seem to be different accounts. . .
My comment on the intensification of Ijaw presence was not in respect to Bonny's establishment. I was just recounting a simplified chronology. Bonny was jointly founded by Ngwa Igbo and Brass Ijo elements.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:18pm On Apr 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

I often rely on words from those that actually set their feet on Bonny.

So if Talbot, Baikie, and Leonard visit Bonny and record names of Bonny kings, and these names seem Ijaw and not Igbo, what would you conclude?

Mean what you say or don't say it at all. It makes the whole stuff twisted.
I'll get where it was said that one of the natives said many more of them Igbos lived in the hinterland.

By this you mean you have evidence showing that the people of Bonny were grouping themselves with the Igbo groups in the hinterland?

I asked you who were those writers that encounter them in Bonny that said such and you're telling me about GI Jones. Reread your initial questions and my reply. GI Jones wrote that in 1963, I only rely on those stuff written before all the confusions started ie pre-amalgamation.

By confusions, I take it you're alluding to the possible influence of the Rivers state agitation on interpreting older history? If so, fair enough and I see where you're coming from, but if that's not what you mean, then what confusions are you referring to?

Also, the stuff you're relying on may have been written at a time when there was even more confusion (i.e., Brass being referred to as "Ebo proper"wink, and less willingness to find out about the culture and history of different groups by asking the people themselves. That's why G.I. Jones is relevant: he bothered to ask.  

Alagbariye is actually Alagbara, an Ngwa migrant that actually set up Bonny. Read Chinenye and Chyz discussion above.

Ok. So Alagbara is a Ngwa migrant. It may be true, but how widely accepted is this statement in Bonny? The Ngwa/Ndoki connection in Bonny is probably not denied by any serious and objective accounts, but this specific claim about Alagbara, where is it from?

Again, mean it or leave it. Erinashabo is also Manilla Pepple and Manilla Pepple was Igbo.

Pepple came from Pepper.

From Wanderings in West Africa:

"This Opubo, or Obullo, the " Great Man," was grandfather of the present
chief : his son took the name of Pepper (Pepple), which he now
spells with a change,

* These ridiculous names are taken from English ships. The slave
chiefs have all their own native names,
e.g., Manilla Pepple is known
as Erinashaboo.
All were the property of old King Pepple, who, when
dying, appointed Annie Tepple as guardian of his son's wealth. He
fought with Manilla Pepple, was beaten, took to drink, and died.
His son is the present Annie Pepple."

So Erinashaboo is a corruption/misspelling of a Ngwa name? What name is it supposed to be?

As for Pepple being from Pepper, that's fine. But I don't see why it's unreasonable to interpret it as a misspelling of an Ijaw name but reasonable to claim that all of those names, including Alagbariye, are misspellings of Igbo names.

[url=http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=perekule&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=perekule&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=bks:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wp&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=aff20ae66cd53499]Alagoa writes that Pepple is from "Perekule"[/url] and others say it's from Pepper. Either one is possible, but which particular European ship was named Pepper?

I'm not saying that a European ship could not have been named Pepper, but if you look at the pattern of naming for European ships, you would see why Pepper seems somewhat unusual. Also, I don't know how familiar you are with Burton's writings, but he has a tendency for flair, wit, exaggeration, and theorizing which make his writing interesting, but not necessarily completely accurate.

Nembe is further inland from the ocean but has a huge river or lake beside it. Ijaws are mainly fishermen. So Nembe is still more or less coastal.

Yes, there is a lake near Nembe. And Nembe being "coastal" is not in doubt. The question is, if Nembe is coastal, what is Bonny? Bonny is not inland. If anything your whole argument swings in favor of Ijaws definitely being at  Bonny in areas other than the coast. A simple look at a Google map of Bayelsa state shows how bizarre this argument is.

I never said there was no slave dealings in Bonny but such slaves cannot rise to become leaders, it's not done anywhere in the world. I maintain that those that rose to high positions in Bonny might actually be "odibo" or servants in Igbo trade apprenticeship system. The slave trade of Bonny community might have been confused with those "odibo" because some of them actually live more like slaves than servants, we still see some of them in such situations today.

Ever heard of the Mamluks? Apparently some of them became Sultans.

Also,
They were of varied ancestry but were often Kipchak Turks/Cumans,[1] depending on the period and region in question. While mamluks were purchased, their status was above ordinary slaves, who were not allowed to carry weapons or perform certain tasks. In places such as Egypt from the Ayyubid dynasty to the time of Muhammad Ali of Egypt, mamluks were considered to be “true lords,” with social status above freeborn Muslims.[2]

There are other examples still, I'm sure.

As for the odibo/servants being confused with slaves, I'm skeptical of that because of the scale on which they make note of slaves or slave descended people and the distinction between free-born people and others. The specific words in European accounts about whether certain people in Bonny are "free-born," "proper free," or have slave origins suggests that they were not merely describing current practices (carrying out slave duties or carrying out servant duties that may look like slave duties) of those individuals, but actually making class distinctions. Is there really room for confusion between an odibo/servant who does not have "slave origins" and is "proper free" (i.e., truly free, to use Burton's words) with a slave who is not born free, when the writer of these words is trying to distinguish between people who belong to one class of the society and another group of a different class? I remain skeptical.

I think part of the issue here is defining the role and status of a slave. From what you say about whether a slave could reach a high position in a society, I think you may have a stereotypical idea in your mind of what the role and status of a slave must have been in all societies. To give you just one example, in the Oyo empire, many of the most important functionaries of the Alaafin's palace were considered and called slaves of the king, despite their duties being nothing like what we consider stereotypical slave duties.

My point is, slaves could have performed only stereotypically "servant" duties  or even performed duties that are not those of a real slave or servant, but rather those of a prominent person or official, in the same way that servants who were in no way slaves could have (as you pointed out) performed stereotypically or seemingly "slave work." 

And I have to ask, how is it that Richard Burton and others are unreliable in describing servants as slaves, but necessarily reliable in other things? If we can admit that they could have confused servants for slaves, which is certainly possible, why not admit that they might have been wrong in other areas?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=n3OsTbP1I7CK0QH9ltX5CA&ct=result&id=VJV1AAAAMAAJ&dq=bonny+portuguese&q=asimini+crowned#search_anchor

The founders were not 'kings', in the real sense of the word. Bonny's kingship began with Asimini. That's the point I was making. 
My comment on the intensification of Ijaw presence was not in respect to Bonny's establishment. I was just recounting a simplified chronology. Bonny was jointly founded by Ngwa Igbo and Brass Ijo elements.

Ok. Thanks for the correction.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (70) (Reply)

Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 251
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.