Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,461 members, 7,917,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:41 AM

Nigerians And Brown Envelope Politics. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians And Brown Envelope Politics. (237 Views)

Collect Brown Envelope And Step Down. / Picture Of The Day. Wike And Brown Envelope. / Mary Beth Leonard: Brown Envelope Journalists Spoiling Nigerian Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians And Brown Envelope Politics. by anslemjeze(m): 8:18am On Feb 05, 2019
Election season brings hope, suddenly over- ripe expectations fill the air. There is an upsurge of optimism that finally our world is about to change drastically in a positive direction.

The aftermath of it brings disheartenment, the same lingering problems of old returns more venomous and the stark reality that the manifestos were just fabricated lies coined to bamboozle the people into empty beliefs looms scaringly at the faces of the masses "E oo! after we don help am win the election, he just forget us like that. E be like say na the former one com even better pass".

The million naira question is, are we the one`s that really got them the positions or their money did?

Election period starts from the primary election within the party level: From this time onward`s different aspirants tries to outbid each other in getting the sole ticket to the promise land. The people who are privileged to be delegates and agents that will determine the anointed one makes the road, so rough and almost impenetrable for them. The aspirants have to pay through their noses to get a vote thus jeopardizing the laid down theory of trying to get the best hand. "See this one dey talk rubbish with em mouth, if em no bring money no vote for am."

And after the richest among them might have succeeded in buying his way through the primaries, he/she is faced with a more grueling task of trying to buy the greater number of electorates to himself . Large sum of money starts moving from cities down to the most rural of the surburban areas in his constituent.

People start jostling here and there frantically, in a bid to get their share of the national cake. "Bha jejei o( hurry up) oga John una never hear say party 'B' dey share money today, make una do ready make we go. if their money big pass d one wen party 'A' share yesterday we go just change our mind vote for them."

This sum does not account for the large sum that will be spent in arranging for exotic yet fruitless campaigns.

Finally election day comes, electorates go all out to vote, but not moved by their hearts but by their pockets. They engage in a final attempt to get more money for themselves. They cling themselves round agents of different parties, hoping to get a more lucrative bid that might tempt them into changing their choice. "na only one thousand party 'A' and 'B' fit give us, if 'C' gren give us two thousand, we go just change our mind vote for them. though say my mind be dey tell me say na party 'A' candidate go fit do something"...

Who is deceiving who my people? After this free flow of cash, how can we expect these businessmen to bring us closer to the future that we are craving for, they are not father Christmas, they will certainly want to recoup and in recouping i mean outrageously getting more than they have spent before the thought`s of the crying masses pinches their ears.

I recommend that as election season is getting close again, that will shun all these primitive sharp practices that have been militating against our growth as a nation. One of the best governors in the history of this nation Prof. Ambrose Alli had this manifesto that was strange at his age and would have even been obsolete and unworkable in ours. "Make una abeg vote for me, i no get money to share but if una gree vote for me wetin i go do no be only una go enjoy am, even una children`s children go com benefit for inside too."

Luckily for the Bendelite`s of the time (present day Edo and Delta), they acceded to the voice of truth and wisdom and the benefits of that singular act we still enjoying today. From the tons of scholars Ambrose Alli University have produced down to the mini entrepreneurs in its environs, they will all agree to the fact that the decision have benefited them and it still continues to benefit them on the long run. "Anywhere Alli dey, God go bless am for us oo! Na im make us fit dey chop today."

I enjoin each and everyone of us today to take that wise decision that will create a better tomorrow, not just for this present generation but for those whose existence is still inconceivable in human race as of now.

(1) (Reply)

2019: Full Text Of Military Declarations On General Elections / Major Re-arrangement In The Nigeria Army / If Donald Duke Had Been God Father In Cross Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.