Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,928 members, 7,886,524 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:27 AM

FTP In Explorer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / FTP In Explorer (1613 Views)

How Do I Get Ftp On Localhost / How Do I locate My Smf Boardindex.template.php File Via Ftp / What Type Of Ftp Client Do You Use To Upload Websites And Why Do You Use It ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FTP In Explorer by oasis: 1:16am On Jan 13, 2006
Some people on this forum have asked about java ftp clients, and I just thought the following info might come in handy.

You can use your browser, Internet Explorer as your ftp client.  Let's say the host ftp server is myftp.com:

Open Internet Explorer

In the address bar, type ftp://myftp.com

A dialog window will popup asking for username and password.  Type them in.

If you don't want to enter the password all the time, check save password

Click Log on

Once you're logged in, you can now browse, the same way you would with Windows Explorer.  You can even drag and drop files back and forth.

------------------------------------

Note: You can also put the authentication info in the url as follows:

ftp://username:password@myftp.com

Just replace username, password, and myftp.com with the proper values.

Caution: only use this method on a private computer, because it's cached in Internet Explorer.
Re: FTP In Explorer by Seun(m): 6:25pm On Jan 13, 2006
Hello oasis,

Thanks for this tip.

Seun.
Re: FTP In Explorer by Farriel(m): 1:38pm On Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, thanks. I'd known about it, but muchas gracias for being thoughtful enough to post here.
Re: FTP In Explorer by dejiolowe: 12:21am On Jan 16, 2006
ftp in explorer is crappy. try bestftp 2000
Re: FTP In Explorer by dejiolowe: 12:24am On Jan 16, 2006
or cuteftp
Re: FTP In Explorer by Farriel(m): 9:11am On Jan 16, 2006
Yeah, we all know FTP in IE is crappy, but to the folks who have got lousy connections and can't download any of the FTP clients, using the aforementioned method would come in handy, or don't you think?
Re: FTP In Explorer by demmy(m): 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2006
Even better they can use WebDAV
Re: FTP In Explorer by oasis: 7:18pm On Jan 16, 2006
This thread is in response to a request for a java ftp client, i.e. no special installation required.

There is no shortage of ftp client implementation. But if you're looking for a no-fuss client that requires no installation on your computer, or a special setup on the server (webDAV), then Internet Explorer is the answer. Most computers have it already.
Re: FTP In Explorer by dejiolowe: 7:58pm On Jan 16, 2006
you can also try net2ftp.com free online ftp using your browser.
Re: FTP In Explorer by oasis: 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2006
you can also try net2ftp.com free online ftp using your browser

Does this reveal your login info to the website.
Re: FTP In Explorer by thelastdon(m): 11:09am On Jan 26, 2006
yeah, I would like to know, does it reveal your login info to the website?
Re: FTP In Explorer by dejiolowe: 8:58am On Jan 27, 2006
i dont understand
Re: FTP In Explorer by ijebu(m): 2:07pm On Jan 30, 2006
web2ftp.com too is a good free online ftp using your browser.
thelastdon:

yeah, I would like to know, does it reveal your login info to the website?
You must put your login info to use any ftp software, the question is if the online software will be harvesting/storing this information is another thing. cool
Re: FTP In Explorer by dejiolowe: 8:24am On Jan 31, 2006
ok, i get u now.
Re: FTP In Explorer by niyyie(m): 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2006
Functionalities with using IE as FTP client are very limited.
Re: FTP In Explorer by smartsoft(m): 2:29pm On Nov 27, 2006
Well for me thats what i use and it works pretty well very fast too e.g ftp.
Re: FTP In Explorer by sbucareer(f): 10:51pm On Nov 27, 2006

Unfortunately many commercial web host company do not use this unsecured method of communication to their server. You could use it behind a proxy network if your administrator allows port 21 which, uses stateless protocol like http, https, ftp, gopher, mail, mms etc.

Many host comapny enforces stronger access like SSH (Secure Shell), Rlogin etc. Like you rightly said MS caches all your communication with the remote server to facilitate the problems of stateless protocol ie (cookies). Hence, someone would still be able to see all your downloaded remote files.

Use this method ONLY on a private machine. To work remotely used a software with ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) and binary protocol for transmitting your files.

Don't get me wrong, your post is resourcefull and elegantly useful just to highlight some issues using internet explorer as a ftp client, not very clever.

(1) (Reply)

CSS Vs Tables / How To Make Your Website Appear On The First Page Of Google / Two Non-hosted Nigerian Adsense Needed Urgently.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.