Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,722 members, 7,885,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 05:23 PM

Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit (1570 Views)

Suspected NIMC Officials Arrested In Niger Republic Enrolling Foreigners For NIN / Nnamdi Kanu's Trial: DSS Arrests Foreigners For Taking Pictures Of High Court / Makinde To Bello - I Am In Kogi To Screen PDP Candidates That Will Face You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Blue3k(m): 12:29am On Feb 22, 2019
The Federal Government will soon begin the enforcement of available immigration laws that allow only foreigners with the requisite residency and work permits to live and work in the country.

The Minster of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, disclosed this in Lagos on Thursday in a special event, “BRF GABFEST” organised in his honour.

The Minister said the government is currently undertaking the audit of foreigners working at various work sites and businesses across the country to determine the population of foreigners working in the without a valid work permit.

“Every foreigner who has the work permit to come to Nigeria legally is welcome. But, if you don’t have the relevant papers, we will take you out,” Mr Fashola said.

“It the right of every country to exercise by determining who comes or stays to work in its country. But, we (Nigeria) have not been exercising such rights all these years. We are going to begin to enforce it now.”

He cited the example of the recent deportation of about 723 Nigerians by the Ghanaian government allegedly for “illegal stay, cybercrime, and prostitution between January 2018 and January 2019”.

Among those deported are 81 Nigerians accused of involvement in cybercrime and illegal stay in January.

About 115 of the affected Nigerians have so far been deported based on allegations of overstaying their permit and engaging in prostitution.

Mr Fashola said at every worksite or business location during the audit exercise, officials would identify all workers, particularly from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), who live and work in Nigeria without the legal permits.

The Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana, Michael Abikoye, has since submitted an official protest of the Nigerian government over what he described as “inhuman treatment of Nigerians by the Ghana Immigration Service”.

Nigeria, Africa’s most densely populated country, with almost 200 million people is also home to many Africans, particularly those in the ECOWAS region, including Ghana.

Nigeria, with a gross domestic product (GDP) of about $400 billion, accounts for almost 60 per cent of the over $720 billion (GDP) of the region, controlling over 56 per cent of trade in the region.

The country contributes more money to the ECOWAS than 13 other members states of the regional body put together in the last 12 years.

As a regional leader, Nigeria is in the vanguard of those promoting regional economic integration, with various strategic initiatives to connect the member countries of ECOWAS.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/314383-deportation-nigerian-govt-to-screen-foreigners-for-work-permit.htmlm

Front Page: Lalasticlala
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by courage89(m): 12:33am On Feb 22, 2019
Very nice gesture. I hope this is not just a campaign rhetoric.

3 Likes

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Blue3k(m): 12:36am On Feb 22, 2019
“It the right of every country to exercise by determining who comes or stays to work in its country. But, we (Nigeria) have not been exercising such rights all these years. We are going to begin to enforce it now.”

grin what took you guys so long? Coordinate your actions with the minister of the interior and get the situation figures out. Nigeria shouldn't only care about securing borders during elections. Btw make sure you include the foreign herdsmen in the net.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Mystick: 12:42am On Feb 22, 2019
All na just talk. These guys will also say one good but will never do anything about it.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Blue3k(m): 4:39pm On Feb 22, 2019
He cited the example of the recent deportation of about 723 Nigerians by the Ghanaian government allegedly for “illegal stay, cybercrime, and prostitution between January 2018 and January 2019”.

Can anyone cite what laws Ghana broke when deporting Nigerians? Even the government hasnt sad what specific ECOWAS or national law they broke.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by PetroDollax: 5:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Ask them for me oohhh! cheesy its normal when Nigeria deport Ghanaians but outrageous when Ghana deports Nigerians! What foolish and nonsense logic is that? Fuckeduppedness cool
Blue3k:

Can anyone cite what laws Ghana broke when deporting Nigerians? Even the government hasnt sad what specific ECOWAS or national law they broke.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by PetroDollax: 5:09pm On Feb 22, 2019
Which foolish journalist wrote this crap report? As I said, Nigeria has deported Ghanaians in recent past without qualms or anyone raising eyebrows. Just because a Ghana deported Nigerians, so we will not hear word again? Abeg Nigerians should shut up! Ghana will continue to deport Nigerians and nobody can do anything about it. If they like, let them deport Ghanaians living in Nigeria. We don’t give a fvck!

Blue3k:

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/314383-deportation-nigerian-govt-to-screen-foreigners-for-work-permit.htmlm

Front Page: Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by BuhariLooter(m): 5:16pm On Feb 22, 2019
buhari's deranged apologists have even peddled the insane point that he was sent by God to teach us how to live within our means.
Some have even gone to the ridiculous & preposterous extent to say since the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ruled for 16 years which they have tagged as “waste” years, the APC must also rule for 16 years, or even more, irrespective of whether the party has proved to be a complete and unmitigated failure or not.
Honestly, I have never seen such warped reasoning before in my life. To this set of people, it doesn’t matter whether “the APC is worse than the PDP”, it must match PDP’s time in the saddle. It just doesn’t matter to these people that under Buhari, the whispers of distress have grown into a loud agonising cry of pain and unbearable hardship.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Racoon(m): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2019
shocked Useless government! angry angry Nigerian borders up north are so porous that one can freely stroll into our neighbouring West African nation & vice versa that even the NIS, Customs are arresting foreigners with Nigerian passport/voter's cards. sad sad

A hoard of Nigerien & two of their governors entered Nigeria into Kano to partake in Buhari's presidential campaign rally without any prove of proper documentation by relevant agencies of government e.g NIS, DSS, NPF, NBC etc thereby violating Nigerian sovereignity. sad sad sadThis just proved how this present government is so useless.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Litmus: 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
Deport them all grin

Unfortunately, I get the impression Nigeria does not keep such records or bother with immigration as others seem to in Africa. Deport the illegal Africans in Nigeria and watch as India again overtakes Nigeria as poverty capital of the world. Nigeria is simply attracting the dredges from all of West Africa and to some extent Central Africa. We spiral statistically ever poorer as we attract and add their poor to ours and they become statistically wealthier as their wealthier remain in their countries. Looked at like this and our label, Poverty Capital of the world, begins to make sense in another way.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by tungamaje: 5:32pm On Feb 22, 2019
PetroDollax:

Ask them for me oohhh! cheesy its normal when Nigeria deport Ghanaians but outrageous when Ghana deports Nigerians! What foolish and nonsense logic is that? Fuckeduppedness cool

Have you ever heard of Ghana's Aliens Compliance Order in 1969 when they first deported Nigerians. Please make your research. Ghana started the deportations before Nigeria retaliated. It's just Ghana winning Nigeria by 2 goals to 1
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by PetroDollax: 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2019
You obviously don’t know your history very well cool Deportation of so-called illegal aliens happened twice in Nigeria. It first happened in 1983 under shagari and again in 1985 under Buhari! So it is Nigeria 2 Ghana 1. Ghana’s tsunami is coming......... cool

tungamaje:

Have you ever heard of Ghana's Aliens Compliance Order in 1969 when they first deported Nigerians. Please make your research. Ghana started the deportations before Nigeria retaliated. It's just Ghana winning Nigeria by 2 goals to 1
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by livelymatilda22: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Yes oooo. Atiku should also be screened.. We don't want no dangerous Cameroonian roaming round our country..

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Just30: 6:26pm On Feb 22, 2019
PetroDollax:
You obviously don’t know your history very well cool Deportation of so-called illegal aliens happened twice in Nigeria. It first happened in 1983 under shagari and again in 1985 under Buhari! So it is Nigeria 2 Ghana 1. Ghana’s tsunami is coming......... cool

you wont find a single Ghanaian in Nigeria

we have a barrage of your people here

If you joke, we will deprive them of the education they so badly need

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Okoroawusa: 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2019
Just30:
you wont find a single Ghanaian in Nigeria
we have a barrage of your people here
If you joke, we will deprive them of the education they so badly need
Who is this?
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Just30: 6:48pm On Feb 22, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Who is this?
who are you too?
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by WhoDoWeBlame: 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2019
deceit of the highest order,so with this our porous border it will be kind of them to expantiate on how they intend to capture every foreigner in the screening process
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by RTSC: 7:19pm On Feb 22, 2019
PetroDollax:

Don't worry.
We will see who will lose more when Nigeria begins its own policy.
We have not enforced work permits in Nigeria,since forever, which is why it has been overrun by west Africans doing artisan work.

I know two Ghanaians working in my area. I will personally report them to immigration.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by helinues: 7:21pm On Feb 22, 2019
They are just waking up. Nigerians are treated like a slave in abroad cos of lack of papers
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Just30: 8:06am On Feb 23, 2019
RTSC:

Don't worry.
We will see who will lose more when Nigeria begins its own policy.
We have not enforced work permits in Nigeria,since forever, which is why it has been overrun by west Africans doing artisan work.

I know two Ghanaians working in my area. I will personally report them to immigration.
we dont care
do your worse

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Goel: 7:02pm On Feb 23, 2019
Litmus:
Deport them all grin

Unfortunately, I get the impression Nigeria does not keep such records or bother with immigration as others seem to in Africa. Deport the illegal Africans in Nigeria and watch as India again overtakes Nigeria as poverty capital of the world. Nigeria is simply attracting the dredges from all of West Africa and to some extent Central Africa. We spiral statistically ever poorer as we attract and add their poor to ours and they become statistically wealthier as their wealthier remain in their countries. Looked at like this and our label, Poverty Capital of the world, begins to make sense in another way.
India too has 60 millions+ illegal immigrants from neighboring countries. India pulled even lot of them out of poverty as its economic boom is happening.
If India pushes them out; extreme poverty will be close to zero; both in numbers & percentage.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 24, 2019
LMAO grin grin Ghana have deported 732 Nigerians and that girl faithfull18 have me banned because of That Ghana girl Nanatrendy

faithfull18 how far grin grin

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by BlackAdam55(m): 10:31am On Feb 24, 2019
Allen02:
LMAO grin grin Ghana have deported 732 Nigerians and that girl faithfull18 have me banned because of That Ghana girl Nanatrendy

faithfull18 how far grin grin
That's same faithfull18 write nonsense on my mention because of that Ghana girl

3 Likes

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 24, 2019
BlackAdam55:
That's same faithfull18 write nonsense on my mention because of that Ghana girl
Lmao Nl girls are stupid people that's why the guys insult them all the time.can you believe that idiot faithfull18 start insulting me because of that Ghana girl.,funny enough the Ghanaians have deported almost every Nigerians living in their country isn't it laughable undecided

3 Likes

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Blue3k(m): 11:15am On Feb 24, 2019

Nobody has been able to state why ghana deportations of Nigerians are illegal? Did they not get trial? Did they have their documents or not? The rest of the alleged crimes would take longer to figure out.

I am glad everyone agrees an securing borders and controlled immigration. All the other regulations can be handled by ECOWAS as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Juvinist(m): 9:12pm On Feb 27, 2019
Presidency reacts to deportation of Nigerians from Ghana NEWS Published on February 21, 2019 By Wale Odunsi RELATED TOPICS: Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, has described the reported mass arrest and deportation of Nigerians from Ghana as worrisome. Dabiri-Erewa made this known in a statement by her media aide, Abdul-Rahman Balogun, on Thursday in Abuja. She said that the information on the renewed harassment, arrest and deportation of hundreds of Nigerians from Ghana was disturbing. She, however, assured that the Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana, Amb. Olufemi Abikoye was on top of the situation and was engaging with relevant authorities in Ghana. “While any Nigerian who commits a crime will have to face the wrath of the law, the situation of any Nigerian being inhumanly and unjustly treated, will not be acceptable,” she said. Dabiri-Erewa recalled the intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2018 when shops owned by Nigerian traders were locked in Ghana, which forced some of them to relocate back home. She said that the issue was amicably resolved between the two presidents in the spirit of brotherhood. Dabiri-Erewa, therefore, appealed to Nigerians living in Ghana to be good ambassadors of the country by abiding by the rules and regulations in that country. She also appealed to the Ghanaian authorities to be brotherly in their approach in dealing with Nigerians living in Ghana by reciprocating Nigeria’s kind gestures to Ghanaians in Nigeria
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Juvinist(m): 9:27pm On Feb 27, 2019
Two wrongs does not make a right!.From what has happened,the heads of the two countries should meet and conclude on how to deal with issues of such nature when they occur.Retaliation will never be the best option because no matter what Ghana can never send away all Nigerians from Ghana and neither can Nigeria do.I am a Ghanaian living in Ghana.I don't and I have never attempted to do anything contrary to the laws of the country and yet there are some few Ghanaians who use to cause little troubles so as there are Nigerians in Ghana.The laws of the two countries should deal with those but not to generalise the whole situation.Nigerians have been very Good people to me since I have lived with them and I strongly believe is as a result of my behavior and attitude.There are some Nigerians who have lived in Ghana and are now used to the condition and situation in Nigeria so as some Ghanaians in Nigeria.All this rubbish actions are as a result of some bad Ghanaians and Nigerians.We are one people,all blacks.Let's learn to forgive.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Juvinist(m): 9:47pm On Feb 27, 2019
What did they do? So their main offence is that they did not rob nor steal and that constitutes criminality.
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Nanatrendy(f): 11:23pm On Feb 27, 2019
Juvinist:
What did they do? So their main offence is that they did not rob nor steal and that constitutes criminality.
cyber crime, prostitution, some had no stay documents after 90 days of entry into an ecowas country you are to apply for documents to stay in the country, recently have started kidnapping in the country that was what actually brought attention to nigerians in Ghana. Our prisons are choked with nigerians we can't waste money to build new prisons for them when we can easily deport them. When was the last time a Ghanaian in nigeria was in the news for doing something bad? Just yesterday I read one of them had been caught in india with drugs and was carrying a Ghanaian passport.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by Homoviator: 11:39pm On Feb 27, 2019
This continent self cheesy

Season One: Nigerian Jellof Rice Vs Ghanaian Jellof Rice

Season Two: Nigeria Deportation Vs Ghana Deportation

Watch out for Season Three soon.... Nigerian Nollywood Vs Ghanaian Ghallywood
Re: Deportation: Nigerian Govt. To Screen Foreigners For Work Permit by igbesachick: 4:14am On May 05, 2022
Goel:

India too has 60 millions+ illegal immigrants from neighboring countries. India pulled even lot of them out of poverty as its economic boom is happening.
If India pushes them out; extreme poverty will be close to zero; both in numbers & percentage.

who are those 60 million illegal immigrants in india that india help to out of poverty ?

(1) (Reply)

Where I Found PDP Flag Today. / Atiku Defeats Buhari At Election Tribunal. / Presidency Replies Soyinka,urges Nigerians To Trust Scientist,not Fiction Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.